Four motors for the arm & bucket, one for superstructure rotation and one for each track, I guess. RC sells and if they're launching a new system then going all-out is probably the smart thing to do, like they did with 8275 back in 2007.

27 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Four motors for the arm & bucket, one for superstructure rotation and one for each track, I guess. RC sells and if they're launching a new system then going all-out is probably the smart thing to do, like they did with 8275 back in 2007.

That sounds plausible

little bit late to the party on this one but lately i've been thinking about how much I still use my older lego. Stuff with manual switches like the 8480 is likely to last a literal lifetime.

Stuff with firmware in a fixed control unit will also probably last a very long time - thinking of the code pilot here, and indeed my pair of them are still going strongly.

The oriignal power functions, similarly is likely to work for a very long time with a little care.

But how many of you believe that in 20 years, you'll still have a working app and a device capable of connecting to this new range of stuff? Unless you're familiar with virtual machines and are fairly handy with older hardware bridges, you're already out of luck with most (all?) of the past software and 9 pin serial connected hardware that TLG has released. Lego as a product is advertised as a long term durable product. I just don't have any faith in software and non-lego specific hardware having anything like the staying power of the stuff it's meant to control.

1 hour ago, bonox said:

But how many of you believe that in 20 years, you'll still have a working app and a device capable of connecting to this new range of stuff? Unless you're familiar with virtual machines and are fairly handy with older hardware bridges, you're already out of luck with most (all?) of the past software and 9 pin serial connected hardware that TLG has released. Lego as a product is advertised as a long term durable product. I just don't have any faith in software and non-lego specific hardware having anything like the staying power of the stuff it's meant to control.

Exactly the point I was trying to make a few pages back, I must say though you did a much better job of it. 

Does it prevent me from wanting this set though? Definitely not, in fact my piggy bank for this set is up to $45. It is something to think about though and one of the reasons I hope for some sort of dedicated remote in the future. 

8 hours ago, coinoperator said:

Both open air miners, coal mining..
A mining industry that is slowly coming to an end because of the gigantic impact on the environment.

Coal is probably on the way out, yes, but iron ore, copper and gold mines are here to stay for a very long time. 

TBH I don't see countries like China and India giving up coal in the near future either. Maybe I'm wrong though.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

TBH I don't see countries like China and India giving up coal in the near future either. Maybe I'm wrong though.

No you're not, there is no way to force them to give it up, and this alternative (environment friendly) sources sound very nice, but as always in real life if you want something you have to loose something; question is only what are you ready to loose?

but I think that Liebherr company takes environment friendly development very serious as you can see in brochure on page 14, 15, 16 and 17 (there is also possibility to have excavator with 2 electric motors each with 1700kW)

Edited by I_Igor

10 hours ago, bonox said:

I just don't have any faith in software and non-lego specific hardware having anything like the staying power of the stuff it's meant to control.

Okay
But would this be a reason NOT to buy this set?
After all there will come other hardware, like in: Sbrick will get updates and if not there will be the Nextbrick.
So you will always find a way to keep the thing going...

There are 4 reasons to buy such a set and some can(or must) be combined.

- Buy the set to sell it for double the price over 5 years
- Buy it for the building experience
- Buy it to play with it (you, your kids or grandkids)
- Buy it to display it.

In most cases you won't have any problems when the thing ages, kids grow up, etc etc

Edited by coinoperator

So, lets discuss how the tracks are going to be powered, we have two options:

a) hub & motors in superstructure, 2 axles through turntable

b) hub & motors in undercarrige, slewing in undercarrige as well

But there is more to it:

1) Direct drive - each motor drives it own track

2) Substractor

So what is your guess? The model is big enough to feature A) + 2), but I'm afraid we will see more basic configuration. Could be nice mod though.

2 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

So, lets discuss how the tracks are going to be powered, we have two options:

a) hub & motors in superstructure, 2 axles through turntable

b) hub & motors in undercarrige, slewing in undercarrige as well

It seems pretty obvious to me that one hub in the superstructure controls the 3 articulations of the arm (3 pairs of XL LAs) and the opening of the bucket (1 pair of small LAs). The second hub is most likely to be in the undercarriage driving the 2 tracks and for slewing. Since Lego has never done a subtracter And subtracters are difficult to execute I suspect direct drive (or with some reduction) on the tracks.

Hub in superstructure, motors in undercarriage, wiring throug turntable (and hopefully an EOS)

Jurgen is allready licking fingers to mod it.

12 hours ago, bonox said:

I just don't have any faith in software and non-lego specific hardware having anything like the staying power of the stuff it's meant to control.

Whats the alternative? Ignore the smart-phone culture that is genuinely global? Not use bluetooth that is specifically designed to be platform agnostic.. (thats the key here, its not smartphone dependant..). 

They could end up down a propriety dead-end. Luddites would be happy as larry, but... 

Bluetooth ISN'T smartphone dependant, and as a coincidence, as a technology is 20 years old this year.. so its been around a while and Lego are hardly being Early Adopters of this new fad that will die out!! Its established, reliable (cough) technology.

4 hours ago, allanp said:

China is working on a so-called internet of energy using UHV-DC lines. Their long-term goal (by 2050) is for 90% of the world's energy to come from renewables.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-12/31/c_136863411.htm

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/global-energy-interconnection/

52 minutes ago, ShowsOn said:

Any guesses how it is able to sense tilt angle? Would the tilt sensor be in the hubs? Or in the motors?

According to the Nürnberg Toy Fair reports it's in the hubs.

21 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

as a technology is 20 years old this year

Yeah but Lego started using serial RS232 when that was decades old.
Man... I've been working with VT100 terminals and mainframes and that time this was allready dated.

1 hour ago, coinoperator said:

Hub in superstructure, motors in undercarriage, wiring throug turntable (and hopefully an EOS)

I think that is the most unlikely solution, wires through turntable limit slewing

On 2/8/2019 at 10:00 AM, SNIPE said:

I'm buying this!, heres why:

x6 new large linear actuators - AWESOME

New 7x5x1 frame(s) - AWESOME

New motors - AWESOME

New control hub - AWESOME

Everything else such as recolors, parts count etc - AWESOME

You know what this set is? AWESOME.

So you are saying Everything is Awesome? 

12 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Whats the alternative? Ignore the smart-phone culture that is genuinely global? Not use bluetooth that is specifically designed to be platform agnostic.. (thats the key here, its not smartphone dependant..). 

They could end up down a propriety dead-end. Luddites would be happy as larry, but... 

Bluetooth ISN'T smartphone dependant, and as a coincidence, as a technology is 20 years old this year.. so its been around a while and Lego are hardly being Early Adopters of this new fad that will die out!! Its established, reliable (cough) technology.

The alternative? A device produced by TLG that is capable of driving the receivers in the toy. Look at PoweredUp trains for example. TLG are producing a hardware controller for it instead of forcing you to bring your own device. Now that doesn't mean you have to make the whole lot proprietary. You can still use bluetooth as a open protocol for example, and you could still produce an app for users to be able to control the thing with a tablet/phone, but at a basic level, if you make available a hardware device to control it, then you cater to the market who don't have or want to use a phone, plus it will still work in 20 years time, even when bluetooth no longer exists as a current protocol, the carrier spectrum (wifi/NFC/BT) has changed and no device or operating system exists that will run an app that hasn't been updated in 15 years.

I enjoyed playing with Lego as a kid (still do actually which is why i'm discussing this now) and i'm starting to transfer the long term durable toy I had as a child to my own child. Also, my future purchasing decisions are beginning to be influenced by something it never was influenced by before - and that's the short term nature of expecting a long life product being controllable only by short design life software and hardware. I'm beginning to change my buying habits that used to be "i'll get to pass this to my grandchildren to enjoy" to "it looks good now but in a few years time it'll be a 500euro paperweight because it won't work as intended".

I assume the pneumatic hoses are used simply for detail in this set? That's a first I think for official lego sets.

Edited by SNIPE

13 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I assume the pneumatic hoses are used simply for detail in this set? That's a first I think for official lego sets.

You'll get more tubes for your pneumatics from other sets.

7 hours ago, Yevhen said:

You'll get more tubes for your pneumatics from other sets.

that's not what I asked :)