22 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

What works today, may not work tomorrow after an update

What works today may not even work today.

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Even if that is the case (it is not with me), surely it is wrong of TLG to assume it?

I'm all with you on this. If I buy a product I don't want to rely on third party hardware/software for it to work. Sure, make it an option, but not a requirement.

The same reason why I for example buy my music instead of using Spotify or why I use CD players + stand alone mixer instead of a controller when I DJ.

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

This is marketed for people with money. 99.9% of anyone with this much money to spend on a toy will have a phone. 

I have a phone, but not a smart phone. I don't want to be forced to sign up for a google or apple account just to play with my lego models. Cost is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

What's that saying in IT?

Thats how we keep ourselves 'indispensable' !!

As a developer, i use that other saying, 'PICNIC'... (problem in chair, not in computer) :roflmao:

1 hour ago, jrx said:

Strange … don't know why them in my collection as I do not own these two sets :look:

Forgotten BrickLink order? Or some set with additional parts or in alternative color?

2 hours ago, zoo said:

I have a phone, but not a smart phone. I don't want to be forced to sign up for a google or apple account just to play with my lego models. Cost is irrelevant.

You can an iPhone without any Apple account. Maybe there's a was for Android phones too (with alternate Android version maybe?)

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Forgotten BrickLink order? Or some set with additional parts or in alternative color?

Maybe got them when buying parts at some exhibition small market.

Just now, jrx said:

Maybe got them when buying parts at some exhibition small market.

Possible; sometimes I buy some parts ove forum etc...

4 minutes ago, jrx said:

You can an iPhone without any Apple account. Maybe there's a was for Android phones too (with alternate Android version maybe?)

Is it possible to install an app without such an account?

Just now, zoo said:

Is it possible to install an app without such an account?

Good point. Difficult at iOS, possible without problems at Android.

Worst problem: To get the app without the app stores

Edited by jrx
added something

3 hours ago, zoo said:

I'm all with you on this. If I buy a product I don't want to rely on third party hardware/software for it to work. Sure, make it an option, but not a requirement.

The same reason why I for example buy my music instead of using Spotify or why I use CD players + stand alone mixer instead of a controller when I DJ.

I agree entirely. The best solution for us would be to release a smart remote (basically a cheap smart phone like device but without a camera or sim card or anything else that makes smart phones expensive, or makes it a phone at all for that matter!). It's basically hand held touch screen with WiFi connectivity to connect to the internet to download new remote profiles for new models and Bluetooth to communicate with the model. No need for sim card, (pay as you go or contract), no need for Google account or anything like that and it would be sold separately so that those of us that have smart phones don't have to pay for something they already have the ability to do, and those that don't have a smart phone can buy this smart remote instead. Those of us that go to display their models at shows won't have to hand over their phones to eager kids and I think most importantly, parents will not have to give their young children a smart phone, which is a view that I personally very much sympathize and agree with. Now I realise these sets coming with control+ in the second half are for older kids, but is control+ only ever going to be in sets for older kids in the many years to come? I don't think so. 

Edited by allanp

And what about people with damaged nerves on their fingers who after all enjoy playing with LEGO sets?

Just a thought...

Why not just use an android emulator and run the android app on a windows device?

Or  just use an android tablet? they'll run all android apps i assume, cost about £100 and don't have a sim/contract to worry about... all you need is a google account (free) to install apps. Surely thats the cheap and easy solution? (plus you get more real estate work with)

I'm assuming there's no platform specific blocks on the android tablet OS stopping that working?

Just thinking out loud....

17 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

Target audience for this set is NOT going to be 'kids'... it's going to be teens-adults

and try to find out a teen these days without a smartphone ;)

I didn't buy 8043 for my nieces and nephews, but being able to hand them the set and remote and let them have at it without having to worry about anything is part of the appeal.  Those teens have siblings and adults have kids and family.

1 hour ago, krtwood said:

I didn't buy 8043 for my nieces and nephews, but being able to hand them the set and remote and let them have at it without having to worry about anything is part of the appeal.  Those teens have siblings and adults have kids and family.

Kids aren’t idiots though, they’re not just gonna drop it. If people are worried about that then they can just buy a case for their phone. Like this doesn’t require much thought.

Edited by Bartybum

On 1/31/2019 at 1:58 AM, TeamThrifty said:

...The joy and excitement i felt as a 10 yr old hasn't left me, so i see this set and think Awesome!!!

But for me, its excitement that is the overriding emotion... 

...that's the Spirit I Like most...

keep it up??

1 hour ago, krtwood said:

If kids aren't old enough to handle a smartphone/tablet, they shouldn't be playing with my LEGO.

I don't see any problem in this new system.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This set makes me feel like 10 year old, emotionally and financially as well.

+1

I am not excited about the phone control. I have a smartphone, but we as a family try to limit screen time for children. Lego is one of the non-screen activity my children do (among skiing, reading, cycling, fishing, judo, dancing etc) but now Lego will be screen time.  they do not have smart phones of their own.

When it comes to technic I build and I MOC, they play. With system they mostly built and play very little, usually stuff get rebuild quickly. so Leibherr playing time will be screen time. Far from perfect from Lego. IMO.

(I am buying the Leibherr), this complain is just complain not a deal-breaker.

Edited by J_C

What do you think guys,will this model be present in Liebherr's tent on the BAUMA construction exhibition in Munich? AFAIK in 2016 the same happened to the Volvo excavator... 

Guys have you discussed the future of third party power bricks like SBrick and Buwizz given what this brings to the table?