I'm pretty much absolutely fine with smartphone control. I've seen MOCcers use smartphone control and it looks like it could be pretty fun, especially if we get to program our own controls. Smartphones are the norm now, so I think in the long run it would be wise to cut out the cost of physical remote controllers.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I'm pretty much absolutely fine with smartphone control. I've seen MOCcers use smartphone control and it looks like it could be pretty fun, especially if we get to program our own controls. Smartphones are the norm now, so I think in the long run it would be wise to cut out the cost of physical remote controllers.

I hope there's also a Windows 10 version of the Control+ app like the Boost app.

My phone could suck a golf ball through a garden hose so I guess I'll be rebricking the whole thing minus the motors and controllers and then I'll PF the hell out of it. It's good to be stuck in the 20th century, Pantera are still going strong here.

I have fond in Big Construction Vehicle 

...about the price, this will separate us, the one can buy and the one cannot... 

this will make things special... 

goodluck to all of you 

-Shalom

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Yes and since there are more smartphones on the planet than people it shouldn't be that hard for anyone to acquire one if they don't already have one, including small children. However I personally just don't like that you should have to not only buy one but also pay monthly just so you can play with a toy. Believe me I understand everyone already has a phone and soon will be given one at birth. It is only my worthless opinion that a $500 toy should have everything to make it work, out of the box. 

Saw the videos and I absolutely love this model!

All I have to do now is let the months pass for more detail!

39 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

...about the price, this will separate us, the one can buy and the one cannot... 

The Bourgeoisie and the Proletariat!

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The Bourgeoisie and the Proletariat!

I thought that this was lost in history, but you prove me wrong; so much about evolution

23 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Nah, you can remove the tinfoil :classic: All the PU and Boost stuff runs over an open Bluetooth protocol (published by Lego).  The train guys have already engineered how to use it, and have automated train setups running, using non-Lego software.

Hardware and software analysis here :wink: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/

Okay, I have backed away from the ledge but my tinfoil hat is still on because that kind of stuff has already happened.  The lack of a physical and kid-resistant controller is still a big turn off for me though.

I'm not going to freak out and assume that one set is the direction they are going, but necessity is the mother of invention.  When you can just throw as many motors at the problem and let the app solve the control issues and the sky is the limit on prices, well you get really cool mocs not Lego sets.

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Well they sure haven´t cut out costs on any of the smartphone app sets launched so far....

For me it´s as cheap as car manufacturers who don´t include a spare tyre.

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

However I personally just don't like that you should have to not only buy one but also pay monthly just so you can play with a toy.

There is no monthly or any other fee involved. Just use any smart phone without subscription / SIM card. There is so many cheap both new and used smart phones available that this should be the least of the issues.

9 hours ago, suffocation said:

I almost squinted my eyes out at 0:14-0:16 but I can't really tell. Can't say I'd mind a z84 turntable.

... or another version of brick-built turntable à-la RTC. The cited reason then was because of the model's size and weight, the usual turntables didn't make it. Can't make out anything from the video though.

1 hour ago, konryd said:

... or another version of brick-built turntable à-la RTC. The cited reason then was because of the model's size and weight, the usual turntables didn't make it. Can't make out anything from the video though.

The diameter of the turntable like thing in the center does seem too large compared to the quarter-circle racks for it to be just a turntable.  On the other hand its diameter seems to change as it turns, so perhaps it's a turntable with some liftarms stacked around it somehow.

I don't see anything special about the turntable. I guess it's just the a normal turntable, maybe with a black z12 gear next to it to drive it somehow. Also, why wouldn't it be? It doesn't need to be bigger, if the superstructure is somewhat balanced and the rollers carry most of the weight.

3 hours ago, Aleh said:

Oh, it have it in white now!!

32054.png

I don't think that is new. I have three of them in white in my collection but don't remember where I get them from :)

Wondering if the turntable will use the new planetary hub part for slew drive. 

My bet is that it doesn't, for various reasons, but it would be an interesting inclusion.

Edited by andythenorth

5 hours ago, krtwood said:

The lack of a physical and kid-resistant controller is still a big turn off for me though.

Target audience for this set is NOT going to be 'kids'... it's going to be teens-adults

and try to find out a teen these days without a smartphone ;)

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Where? I have only found light gray and orange.

U R right - those R actually LBG.

13 hours ago, ShowsOn said:

I hope there's also a Windows 10 version of the Control+ app like the Boost app.

Even if not, there's already people with working PUP software - check out the long threads in the Train forum. The main one there can handle multiple PUP hubs already, so it can control an entire train layout. I'm sure it'd be trivial to add this Technic hub to it and have working Windows PC software to control it. 

9 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Yes and since there are more smartphones on the planet than people it shouldn't be that hard for anyone to acquire one if they don't already have one, including small children. However I personally just don't like that you should have to not only buy one but also pay monthly just so you can play with a toy. Believe me I understand everyone already has a phone and soon will be given one at birth. It is only my worthless opinion that a $500 toy should have everything to make it work, out of the box. 

No monthly cost needed to use it for this. Most people these days already have an old phone lying around that they could use without any actual phone service on it. 

3 hours ago, jrx said:

I don't think that is new. I have three of them in white in my collection but don't remember where I get them from :)

They already exist in white, from two sets back in 2004: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=32054&colorID=1&in=A But pretty rare since each set only had a couple of them. 

5 minutes ago, mostlytechnic said:

No monthly cost needed to use it for this. Most people these days already have an old phone lying around that they could use without any actual phone service on it. 

Even if that is the case (it is not with me), surely it is wrong of TLG to assume it?

This is marketed for people with money. 99.9% of anyone with this much money to spend on a toy will have a phone. 

I personally do not like that and would prefer a device of whatever sort to come with the set.

I cant afford this but I like the AFOL direction technic mostly? seems to be trending.

Just now, LucyCol said:

Even if that is the case (it is not with me), surely it is wrong of TLG to assume it?

In my opinion this only depends on the target audience for this set.

I had the experience of being part of developing team of an agricultural machine which was remotely controlled. Originally this was done via a custom handheld device with limited functionality, but at roughly the same cost of a smart phone, even back then. It was the explicit desire of the (future) customers that they could control the machine with their smartphone, since they carried it with them anyway, would increase the functionality and reduce the cost of the machine as a set. The biggest drawback of using 3rd party controllers such as smartphone is the fact that you as a company have the responsibility to keep track of the compatibility of your system with all the different type of brands, phone models and operating system versions during the entire life-span of your product. This proved to be very time-consuming and a never-ending story in the current smart-phone market.

In short: if you look at these type of sets aimed for teenagers and AFOLS, then yes, it makes sense for TLG to assume their customers have smartphones. Especially if you look how popular the 3rd party remote systems such as BuWizz are in the MOC scene, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

However, if you consider this a toy, then it would make sense to include some kind of remote in the set. BTW, has the option that Control+ will be compatible with the new Lego PF2 Train remote been ruled out already? I'm no expert, but I guess it could work without the added functionality, like the sounds and programming which appear to be possible on a smartphone. But even then, the BOOST system requires some kind of tablet device as well.

PS: Someone mentioned it already, but, I'm very curious if C+ will really replace the current PF completely. PF could still make sense in smaller sets and as a add-on set.

I had to buy a new phone to use the new Powered UP app.  The problem with smartphones and tablets is the app may not work on every device model even if the version of Android (or other OS) is at the supported level.  Royal pain in the butt. 

What's that saying in IT?  What works today, may not work tomorrow after an update.  :wink: