14 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Did it?! Awesome!

I hear you, and don't disagree, if it was a choice i'd spend it on my wife too... its a lot of money, but it will be a xmas 2019 present for me, and it will get discounted, so 300 days, £1 a day, makes me feel better about it (it is just a toy after all, we all buy cars and bikes etc that cost way more, but they're practical so easy to justify, toys are harder to justify. and a 450 euro toy is a big leap)

The killer for me is:

• New control systems
  • Big special set thats not a car. how long have I been moaning about 'another car', and heres one that isn't!! (please have a pretty box like the cars get....)
  • I'm a sucker for big construction and agriculture. BWE is still such an awesome set.

It is a lot of money for a toy, but i don't smoke, drink maybe 1 beer a week on average and don't gamble... so i figure i'm allowed one vice?! (and my wife mostly agrees, which helps a lot!!)

ps I hope its not empty inside.....

I go to Oz once a year on business... if you're near Perth we could do an import deal!!

@TeamThrifty Im in Perth and might be interested in that.....

18 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Pin with pin hole in yellow 

What is this part? Is this a new part or just a new color?

2 hours ago, lkoffel said:

So they didn't "steal" the idea but unfortunately, they never contacted me.

I mean they couldn’t really could they? That would give away the secret

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I mean they couldn’t really could they? That would give away the secret

Yes that's right, they would have taken the risk the information spreads out too early. But they already took the risk by working with Liebherr mining which was finally able to keep the secret.
Anyway, they just don't needed to contact me to make their model =)

By putting on Ideas,  you agreed to their TOS and to not sue LEGO?

You agree that if the LEGO Group introduces a product similar to your idea or contest entry, whether accepted to or rejected from the site, you understand and acknowledge that any coincidence is unintentional, agree to indemnify and hold LEGO harmless and release LEGO from any and all claims of infringement.

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

If I understand correctly, there is no handheld remote in the box?  The only way to operate the motors is through an app on a smartphone?  Count me out of this system.  S-brick and buwizz are one thing as it's an optional thing you can do instead of the normal controls.  But a system that depends on an app is a system that Lego can decide to no longer support at any time in the future.  When technology has moved on eventually they aren't going to want to have to keep updating the software for the hardware they aren't making any money off of, and then eventually you won't be able to install the old app on your new phone and the whole system is bricked.

4 hours ago, HEC said:

Wow. Landed on my shopping list instantly ...

In regards of physical remote handset instead of mobile app would it be too adventurous to assume the the new train BT handsets would be compatible? Or other variants might be produced with different mechanical controls / design using the same communication protocols ...

Side question - anyone have a design for nice Lego Piggy bank? Time to start stuffing ;)

Keep in mind that Lego has never made a 7 function remote system before. There have been some (like 8275 bulldozer) with 4 functions that used 2 remotes to control it. This thing would take 4 remotes, and that's almost $100 more in retail cost to the set to include those! I suspect you'll be able to control 2 functions with a remote, if you have one, but the other advantage is the phone can have detailed, customized interfaces. It can handle a mix of on/off and "analog" controls. It can do so much more, and since it's open, even if Lego makes the app no longer work, plenty of people have alternatives already. 

There will be 6 functions (2 engines for propulsion). Almost the same we had in 8043 if we consider that switching between modes is a function :)

Its a whopper with a whole new control system, and lots of it too. Its always going to come at a price. Bugatti was a gearbox and engine wrapped in bricks with no motors or RC or anything to shout about (except the orange wave selectors, and they're only £2 each), and there was a queue to buy that at 329 quid... so in comparison, its way better value.

Thats not to say its cheap, cos of course its not, its still a very expensive toy, but everything's relative as an austrian chap once said.

Buy the blue thing and you got some.. err,  blue bricks, buy this and you get a lot of PU components, plus the new frame and track wheels and whatever else is in there.

Being able to see things like the angle of inclination as a live figure on the app has much appeal.. to me at least. If its going to cost a kings ransom, and it does, better it be for new technology and trick bits.

I don't build and display, so things like the bugatti have limited appeal. I build, enjoy it, and then take it apart to use for mocs so this does affect my view point...

...and i'm very very glass half full when it comes to lego (which is why i like @Jim reviews, and they are too). The joy and excitement i felt as a 10 yr old hasn't left me, so i see this set and think Awesome!!! Then work out how i justify the cost to my wife :grin:. But for me, its excitement that is the overriding emotion... i hope i never get negative where lego is concerned.

Just now, TeamThrifty said:

Then work out how i justify the cost to my wife :grin:

Just tell her you choose to abstain from daily coffee (or whatever that costs the amount of 42100's MSRP/365) for a year :roflmao:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Just tell her you choose to abstain from daily coffee

I did exactly that! A large latte from starbucks is £3.30, i bet i average 2 a week, thats £300 right there!!!

I so want to save money and buy this thing, but at the same time I dont wanna be part of the group that, to TLG, are going to throw money at fancy sets no matter how expensive they are, because that would only drive TLG to drive the prices of future sets higher :wacko:

10 minutes ago, CalimeroLego said:

Did you see what seems to be a 8l axle, but in DBG ?!

With stop? Not a new piece. Same for the 5.5 (1+stop+4.5)

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Seems like we get a lot of system parts again. But I really like this level of detail. 

Ugh - To be honest I think I'm going off this a bit.  All these fiddly non-functional details just turn me off.  I prefer it when technic is focused mainly on the functions with just subtle suggestions of realism.  As I said, the fake pneumatics particularly annoy me for some reason.  I do realise that this is all a matter of taste, and designing sets like this may well be a sound market strategy.  It's just a personal preference.  And I still expect I'll buy it!

25 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

Ugh - To be honest I think I'm going off this a bit.  All these fiddly non-functional details just turn me off.  I prefer it when technic is focused mainly on the functions with just subtle suggestions of realism.  As I said, the fake pneumatics particularly annoy me for some reason.  I do realise that this is all a matter of taste, and designing sets like this may well be a sound market strategy.  It's just a personal preference.  And I still expect I'll buy it!

I hear you on the pneumatic hosing..... but it is pneumatic hosing after all.  Meaning, think of it like a parts pack. I feel I can always use more hosing, is not like the extra pieces for just aesthetics are some common, boring system piece or something. Its like the luggage bag on the Bugatti.  Bugs me we have a bag, yet at the same time, it comes with string element with studs on the end, which is rare and I feel, a great piece.  Plus, an extra came with the set - so, ultimately when I viewed it this way I was okay with it. 

14 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'm seriously considering cutting a daily cup of coffee to set aside money for this beast.

That's an interesting perspective. Considering that the price is likely to drop to around €300 on Black Friday, that's still the equivalent of some 40 bottles of top-notch Nero d'Avola, which kinda sound more enjoyable than an excavator. Then again, a lack of MOC fodder means fewer chances to sip that sweet Sicilian nectar.

2 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm sure this has been pointed out but isn't there a new turntable in that thing as well?

I almost squinted my eyes out at 0:14-0:16 but I can't really tell. Can't say I'd mind a z84 turntable.

Time for me to rack up a lot more VIP points, I think that will be the only way I can swing the price and I do feel I will be buying this. Of course I'll look for some reviews first, I really hope they are all favorable.

Size wise it looks like a Speed Champions vehicle will fit in the bucket, if I am seeing things correctly. 

Also think I will be buying a cheap throw away phone, for use as only a remote for all my new Technic RC sets, not too thrilled about it not having a controller that comes with the set but I understand why so I will just live with it.