Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'm seriously considering cutting a daily cup of coffee to set aside money for this beast.

If this could only help...

when better and more clear image will be available I could do some calculations of LEGO model to see if it is possible to make T264 Mining truck (Liebherr) to fit the scale of R9800 Excavator

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

When technology has moved on eventually they aren't going to want to have to keep updating the software for the hardware they aren't making any money off of, and then eventually you won't be able to install the old app on your new phone and the whole system is bricked.

Nah, you can remove the tinfoil :classic: All the PU and Boost stuff runs over an open Bluetooth protocol (published by Lego).  The train guys have already engineered how to use it, and have automated train setups running, using non-Lego software.

Hardware and software analysis here :wink: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/

Edited by andythenorth

4 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

If this could only help

According to my calculation it does. 450 EUR / 365 days = 1.23 EUR/day, which is comparable to a cup of coffee in my country.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

According to my calculation it does. 450 EUR / 365 days = 1.23 EUR/day, which is comparable to a cup of coffee in my country.

In my Country it is about 1 EUR per cup of coffee, so year and a half. Other thing is that expensive sets were not available her; so far I did not see any Bugatti...so I'll see. So far I have PF elements for 5 MOCs, and about projects in my mind I have only need for big sprockets...

Does anyone know dimensions of LEGO model?

btw if not mentioned yet do we have brand new color axles and pin connectors? Light bluish lime color...

Or simply yellow?

7*11 white frame image.png.9399c92a8ee71383c5afdc0a45e7044b.png

Edited by Aleh

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

have only need for big sprockets...

they are already available on brick and pieces for about 1€/pc, I guess they will show on BL for similar price soon

Just now, Ivan_M said:

they are already available on brick and pieces for about 1€/pc, I guess they will show on BL for similar price soon

I hope, since in my country brick & pieces is not available. I suppose you are talking about Yellow sprockets (Red, black or Dark bluish tray are more welcome for one of my future projects)?

Thanks Ivan

I don't like the real machine, but this model is a must-buy in my opinion.

It looks strong and functional, so I will build it for fun and to learn something new, and then disassemble it and use the parts for an other excavator. :excited:

Liebherr is a good choice, so we can have white machines and not yellow as usual. I expect a big dumper in the future, if the collaboration between Liebherr and Lego will go on in the next years...

We were waiting for a big excavator bucket... and now we have a front shovel bucket... and it is DBG... great! :sarcasm_hmpf:

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Nah, you can remove the tinfoil :classic: All the PU and Boost stuff runs over an open Bluetooth protocol (open, but unpublished by Lego).  The train guys have already reverse engineered it, and have automated train setups running, using non-Lego software.

Hardware and software analysis here :wink: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/

It is published actually - https://lego.github.io/lego-ble-wireless-protocol-docs/

There are already several 3rd party apps available like Brickcontroller 2 (where you can use a game controller so you have fully customizable physical control), The Lego Train Project, you can use Scratch 2 or Scratch 3 for programming on a PC etc. @krtwood I would not worry about loosing compatibility over the years, fans are keeping alive NES and other ancient stuff as well, I'm sure there'll be several alternative options to control these things.

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Nah, you can remove the tinfoil :classic: All the PU and Boost stuff runs over an open Bluetooth protocol

Exactly.

Dependency is low.. all our phones and pc's are dependant on infrastructures like the 4G network and the internet, and we don't worry about that. All you Apple users are using their proprietary platform, but you don't sweat it.. at least MS and Google are using a lot of open source stuff.

Its a none issue really...

1 minute ago, mpj said:

collaboration between Liebherr and Lego will go on in the next years

I hope so, its a great collaboration! And i'm loving this new set.

I think this set is gonna have modular subassemblies, and they are attached together in the same order as the real machine. And what else can help assembling this gargantuar beast other than last year flagship RTC 42082? I wouldn't be surprised if TLG releases a promo video in which 42082 hoists several modules of 42100, through the new yellow pin with pin hole part.

12 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I would not worry about this much if you are a life-long fan.  I have learned alot from Technic giants such as @Sariel, but one of the more important things I have learned is the benefit of being in the hobby for decades, not just because of the additional experience it gives, but ones knowledge and possessions of historic pieces.  I think this is another thing that @Sarielis a master at, and often he can come up with solutions others cant not because of the shear number of Lego that he has, but the variety and breadth of Lego he has or has knowledge of.  Given that, I think old pieces are always useful.  Even if they seem outdated.  And i think the electronics are very robust.  I have lamented many times not buying the RC motors cuz i worry about degradation; but plenty of folks still use them with incredibly positive results . I wish I had pulled the trigger on RC motors years ago. 

That's very kind of you. I agree that old pieces are always useful. My Renault FT-17's glacis plate hinge is a good example. I could only make it work thanks to the use of one old, very specific piece. This one: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3614b#T=C

1280x720.jpg

Topic dedicated to 42082 RTC reached 49 pages. With the level of excitement related to this new monster there will definitely more in here :D

13 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Or do away with the function altogether. 

I don't like the pinned topics at all. The list of pinned topics is simply too long. I browse this site on my phone and always need to scroll down several pages before I see what's going on. We could do with one or two pinned topics, with one of them providing a list of important other topics. And when there is a contest, just add one pinned topic, not three.

As for hot topics, no need to pin them, because they'll be at the top of the normal topics anyway.

Edited by Didumos69

A bit different issue, under my calculations this is 1:35 model...Unimog tires with 94.3 mm in that scale give 3,3m overall diameter and T264 has tires with some 3.4m overall diameter, so it is possible to have dump truck (Fully RC) in coming years to pair them :wink:

12 hours ago, Hogwartus said:

maybe there is Lipo in control+?

Not at the moment. There was one journalist asking about because batteries are bad for environment. The LEGO guy has seen the point but said for now it's only powered by batteries.

11 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

The pneumatic hoses on the arm appear to be purely for show (to emulate the real excavator) - you can see that some of them are connected to a pneumatic connector that's not connected to anything else.  That offends me a bit!  I also can't quite see exactly what the array of black tubes on the top of the arm is.  Perhaps they are also fake pneumatics, or perhaps they are wires.

The hoses are only for the look. No pneumatics nor they are wires.

9 hours ago, Great Ball Pit said:

Prepare for disappointment.  I'm 100% sure the set uses 2 BOOST HUBS.  Each Boost hub has 2 built in motors and 2 outputs.

No. It's a new control brick with 4 plugs for motors.

8 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

It’s already been confirmed in another thread, by someone who actually held the hub in their hands at the event, that it is not the Boost move hub.

It has 4x external ports (no internal motors) and is powered by 6xAA (not AAA) batteries, similarly to the current technic battery box. No internal motors. It also is roughly the same shape and size as the EV3 brick.

Indeed :)

4 hours ago, krtwood said:

If I understand correctly, there is no handheld remote in the box?

Correctly. No remote for now.

Wow. Landed on my shopping list instantly ...

In regards of physical remote handset instead of mobile app would it be too adventurous to assume the the new train BT handsets would be compatible? Or other variants might be produced with different mechanical controls / design using the same communication protocols ...

Side question - anyone have a design for nice Lego Piggy bank? Time to start stuffing ;)

Edited by HEC

2 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Huh... who said Technic doesn't do well on Lego Ideas...?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f62cd20a-b8fc-4988-b817-628507cd3503

According to the 100 votes milestone, this entry is from late 2017/early 2018. That's about when development for 2019 wave started right? Coincidence? 

This model was posted early February 2018 (I know it because I made it and I'm glad to see people sharing it, thank you :)

5167776-o_1c5johla1flk168e18ai17msn6ce-evzqYl75w8Dd7A-thumbnail-full.png

Unfortunately, it looks like people on Lego Ideas are more interested in Lego system than in Lego technic. The amount of vote never really exploded :( But, 66 days remaining to reach the 1000 votes gate and have another year, who knows !

About the particular timing between the Lego idea and the Lego official model, indeed it is a coincidence. I have contacts by Liebherr Minig at Colmar (former colleagues in fact) who told me when I posted my model that there was already something going one between Liebherr and Lego ... So they didn't "steal" the idea but unfortunately, they never contacted me.

22 minutes ago, lkoffel said:

This model was posted early February 2018 (I know it because I made it and I'm glad to see people sharing it, thank you :)

Unfortunately, it looks like people on Lego Ideas are more interested in Lego system than in Lego technic. The amount of vote never really exploded :( But, 66 days remaining to reach the 1000 votes gate and have another year, who knows !

About the particular timing between the Lego idea and the Lego official model, indeed it is a coincidence. I have contacts by Liebherr Minig at Colmar (former colleagues in fact) who told me when I posted my model that there was already something going one between Liebherr and Lego ... So they didn't "steal" the idea but unfortunately, they never contacted me.

The moc is not functionnal at all. Its a studless model, but certainly not a technic thing.

Edited by Timoonn

3 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Huh... who said Technic doesn't do well on Lego Ideas...?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f62cd20a-b8fc-4988-b817-628507cd3503

According to the 100 votes milestone, this entry is from late 2017/early 2018. That's about when development for 2019 wave started right? Coincidence?

I don't think it does too well. 66 days left ang only 628 votes. Even I managed to achieve such numbers.

10 minutes ago, Timoonn said:

The moc is not functionnal at all. Its a studless model, but certainly not a technic thing.

Looking at the (size and shape of the) brick built actuators and 'empty' crossblocks above them, it was intended as a pneumatic model. So very functional and technic actually...

EDIT:

@Lipko I know that ~700 votes is not that much, but I meant that this model from Ideas appeared to be re-created by TLG in even larger scale as ultimate flagship... But MOC creator already stated that Liebherr cooperation was started before this MOC...

Edited by Rudivdk

33 minutes ago, Timoonn said:

24 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Looking at the (size and shape of the) brick built actuators and 'empty' crossblocks above them, it was intended as a pneumatic model. So very functional and technic actually... 

EDIT:

@Lipko I know that ~700 votes is not that much, but I meant that this model from Ideas appeared to be re-created by TLG in even larger scale as ultimate flagship... But MOC creator already stated that Liebherr cooperation was started before this MOC...

Indeed, as I said in the MOC description, I used LDD to model it. And in LDD, you can't find cylinders, valves, pumps or flexibles. I did what I could to model them but I could'nt model the flexibles.
But I built the skeleton of the arm with reals parts and pneumatic system to try it, check the kinematic, the sufficient force of the cylinder to lift the whole arm. I can assure you it worked like ... a normal technic thing.

For the record, I also added a lego spring to tension the track (what is done on real excavators to avoid the track to come off), what Lego has not done on its set and seems to be missing. So don't tell me it's not functionnal ^^

Look at the shape of the track, it is too slack :

Untitled.jpg.e1fbe7d7f17715aec51074e3f85cbc63.jpg

1 hour ago, lkoffel said:

5167806-vue6-I2bVOgJPYFLFxw-square-100.p Really like this, a very distinctly designed technic model. The modularity really is beautiful here and the bucket is striking.

Edited by Phleep