Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

9 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

This theme looks fascinating. I love the massive transformation feature the school has.

Lego's certainly come a long way since the fairly disappointing Castle of Morcia, haven't they? This set's transformation seems so much more dynamic and interesting without seeming to affect the "untransformed" set's appearance much at all.

This is all quite interesting! All of the sets that I've seen look really good, but the most interesting ones are probably the school (which just looks really nice and the transformation feature is cool) and the graveyard (which would look great in a Monster Hunters diorama). However, the whole ghost situation isn't great. Would've loved some new ghost figures, but I guess the possessed figures are good enough stand-ins.

If the theme is meant to last 3 years, then I guess they will have to expand on the monsters featured for years 2 and 3. 

Hey, crazy theory, but remember that white/red three-tailed wolf we all thought was a leak for Ninjago? What if it's actually for this theme? If it's supposed to be a kitsune-esque thing, some interpretations of kitsunes have them as mischievous spirits. 

Loving the look of this theme, innovative and fun. TLG desperately want to get a successful hold on the AR side of things, and hopefully this will go some way to help that. As much as I really like the idea, I would eventually want physical versions of the ghosts, but other than that it’s an exciting move.

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Hey, crazy theory, but remember that white/red three-tailed wolf we all thought was a leak for Ninjago? What if it's actually for this theme? If it's supposed to be a kitsune-esque thing, some interpretations of kitsunes have them as mischievous spirits. 

Anything’s possible; but the pictures I’ve seen of the wolf figure seem more geared to an East Asian theme than the “American cartoon” vibe I’m getting off of this theme.

So, looking at the part counts and prices again, I'm seeing that the Train is $30 more expensive than the Bus, but only has 9 more pieces. 

I think that means that this Train is going to be an actual train, and includes a loop of track to run around. Big parts like tracks are the only explanation for a discrepancy like that. It might even include a motor!

Edited by Feng-huang0296

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

It’s ninjago 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:44 PM, x105Black said:

I think he's just crossing the water to the spooky looking house / castle in the background.

Well I was totally wrong and I love the pics of the new theme!

Well, whaddayaknow, I just came up with a project that uses a lot of spring green. Those 18646s eyebrows and hero factory claws are going to be very useful.

Not sure about the theme itself. Yes, some of the parts look interesting, especially the minifigure stuff (the ghostly wings piece is a nice addition to the current line-up of wing pieces, although from the looks of it it's a collar-type wing piece rather than a pair of wing pieces attached via clips, which would be more useful for non-minifigure applications), but of the sets shown so far, none really excite me.

Edited by DraikNova

7 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

. . wait, do we have names for the two main characters yet? 

Jack and Parker I believe. From what I have seen I think this theme is going to be hugely popular, the way the video part interacts with the physical build could be great, only time will tell of course but I am betting on fantastic. 

I am not really interested in all the sets although they sound like they will be good, given the piece counts. Hands down the train is the one I look forward to the most, followed by the graveyard and lab. Not really interested in the school or bus although they look equally well done. Prices seem fairly reasonable too, I really think we are on the eve of a real game changer here in terms of popularity, trying not to get overly excited though. 

Edited by Johnny1360

This theme looks very interesting.  I really like the school, especially all the dark red pieces.  My youngest son is gonna love this theme and the app.  So many interesting characters and new pieces.  I can't wait to see the train hopefully they show it this weekend.  

4 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So, looking at the part counts and prices again, I'm seeing that the Train is $30 more expensive than the Bus, but only has 9 more pieces. 

I think that means that this Train is going to be an actual train, and includes a loop of track to run around. Big parts like tracks are the only explanation for a discrepancy like that. It might even include a motor!

That would be really awesome!  I wanted to make a Chaos Doom Train using the Monster Hunters ghost train set that came out several years ago, but due to various circumstances, I wasn't able to afford to buy it when it was still available & I've been kicking myself ever since.  If they came up with a basically revamped version of the ghost train, but with Powered-Up motors & track, I'd be happier than a pig in a mud hole.

1 hour ago, Laura Takayama said:

That would be really awesome!  I wanted to make a Chaos Doom Train using the Monster Hunters ghost train set that came out several years ago, but due to various circumstances, I wasn't able to afford to buy it when it was still available & I've been kicking myself ever since.  If they came up with a basically revamped version of the ghost train, but with Powered-Up motors & track, I'd be happier than a pig in a mud hole.

Actually, I hope for the opposite. The point of Hidden Side (as far as I can tell) is that every set has two 'forms', right? Normal and possessed? I hope that the Train follows suit; a 'default', ordinary appearance, and one for when it's been taken over by ghosts. If it's anything like the old Monster Hunters train, it would completely defeat the purpose - and since I'm really hoping it can at least be MODded into a relatively normal-looking train for my layout, I'll be very disappointed if it's a full-on ghost train. 

Please, Lego, find some compromise that can keep everyone happy!

I really like what I see in models so far. Looks like a great and creative theme to me! Spooky schoolstuff? Get your Buffy the Vampire Slayer minifig! :grin:

I could not care less about the "augmented reality" side here, especialy since it is only for a select few devices. A poor move really - this should be available for everything out there, not just the newest iCrap.

Those models though... shiny! :thumbup:

Just now, Drunknok said:

I really like what I see in models so far. Looks like a great and creative theme to me! Spooky schoolstuff? Get your Buffy the Vampire Slayer minifig! :grin:

I could not care less about the "augmented reality" side here, especialy since it is only for a select few devices. A poor move really - this should be available for everything out there, not just the newest iCrap.

Those models though... shiny! :thumbup:

My son really likes the look of the App/Game (he's a big Pokémon fan), but wondered how long the playability of the game is, i.e. once you've caught all the ghosts in each set is that it?

From my point of view, I really like the look of the two kids - the hoody with cap and the woolly hat hair combos will look good on Town residents, be nice if they had the mid-size legs as they look like they're supposed to be teenagers.

49 minutes ago, dario2739 said:

My son really likes the look of the App/Game (he's a big Pokémon fan), but wondered how long the playability of the game is, i.e. once you've caught all the ghosts in each set is that it?

I guess we have to wait for the release to know this for sure. If your son likes it: great! Of course not everything is for everybody.

3 hours ago, dario2739 said:

My understanding from reading about it is that the game advances doesn't play the same over and over, also more content will be added after release and on a continual basis. 

I hope they are reading the feedback about the ghosts

Even if they dont come in the sets, they could still release something like a ghost battlepack, similar to the one with the sewer babies. The ghosts in the app look like they can be made without new pieces. 

8 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Actually, I hope for the opposite. The point of Hidden Side (as far as I can tell) is that every set has two 'forms', right? Normal and possessed? I hope that the Train follows suit; a 'default', ordinary appearance, and one for when it's been taken over by ghosts. If it's anything like the old Monster Hunters train, it would completely defeat the purpose - and since I'm really hoping it can at least be MODded into a relatively normal-looking train for my layout, I'll be very disappointed if it's a full-on ghost train. 

Please, Lego, find some compromise that can keep everyone happy!

I think it could be neat if they went for something like the Ghost Train from the conceptually similar webcomic Paranatural, mostly looking like a normal train but with the front boiler of the train able to hinge up to form a gaping mouth (and probably other areas of the train that could transform as well). In any case, I have high hopes considering how effective the transformation function for the school seems to be.

Here are my thoughts on this theme:

The positives:

#1 The builds are pretty good. 

#2 The characters shown are pretty good.

#3 The transformation features are well integrated.

The Negatives:

#1 Not enough minifigures for the price on some sets.

#2 Lack of any real ghost minifigures, only possessed figs 

#3 the colorful parts on the sets for the app take away from the overall look.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Wow!

I mostly treat TLG sets as parts packs and never actually build what's on the box, but I think these sets are worth putting together.  Additionally, I'm glad TLG is continuing to push interactivity technology between the classic bricks and current devices.