Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

On 9/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, Cut the Kragle said:

Did a quick review of the LEGO Hidden Side mag issue 1 if anyone fancies a peek. Although thinking about it, I probably should have put a spoiler warning up....

https://youtu.be/9EuY1L4gcPY

Thanks for the review. Even the artist who is drawing the comics made a post in your video :thumbup:

The upcoming pizza boy looks great.

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Thanks for the review. Even the artist who is drawing the comics made a post in your video :thumbup:

The upcoming pizza boy looks great.

Thanks for checking it out! Yeah, that was pretty cool to have them comment.

I am looking forward to getting the spooky Pizza Boy minifig next month. Bit surprised that they're not releasing a special mag for October/Halloween though - the first issue came out in September and the next one comes out in November, so they're skipping over it completely...

Might be worth mentioning that the current LEGO City mag also comes with a more generic Pizza Delivery Boy with a motorcycle and a printed Pizza box tile. Could combine the two for some extra fun!

So I broke down and bought the Juice Bar, new and through the secondary market. (very cheap)

I'm not impressed with the very vibrant, cheap looking pieces. But I bought this set as an add-on to my horror scene (which I will upload later).

I do like the kid. I think LEGO done a great job of recreating a character you could see on The Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. (Although, hilariously, there is a girl who resembles her in the remake of "Child's Play").

I like the citizen - when he is a citizen. I'm not a fan of the ghost heads because - looking at the theme's graphics, they are poor representations of 3D ghosts. However, I do like his face a little better than the rest of these ghosts.

Stickers are lame, except for the Slushi one, that one is awesome. The two lone ones on the back remind me of the ugly out-of-place Blue ones from the Werewolf sets.

I'm impressed by the size. This is a big juice bar and worth me paying far less than getting it free with such an amount of purchase.

As a theme overall, perhaps Wave 2 will add some continuity to it but for the most part this theme can be broken down into its "twos": a school and a bus; a shrimp shack and juice bar; leaving the graveyard, boat, and stunt car to have their matches in the second wave.

Like everyone else, better ghost figures are a must. I wish they would have provided 3D molded heads like they did with the Simpsons.

I'm not a fan of the culture represented by the citizens and designs. Where did Lego get the influence for that god-awful graveyard design? Kreo?

I haven't matched them against my existing monster themes or Scooby/Ghostbusters, but I feel they are out of place and belong with the Mixels or as its own theme.

It was nice seeing pieces from The Haunted House reused, although only 2.

I do love Lego's appeal to this new generation, I'm guessing "juice bars" are popular in cities? I didn't think they were a thing like Starbucks.

Overall, it'll serve my purpose of putting it near my witch cottage for patrons watching fights to get juice.

Beyond that, it belongs only in the Hidden Side theme and sometime in the future I'll set it against the old Studios Monsters, MF, GB, SD themes to show what I mean.

5/5 for Hidden Side/Stranger Things fans; 3/5 for serving my purpose despite the crazy color scheme; 5/5 for value in terms of the size of the juice bar and minifigure count; 1/5 for having minimal replay value; and 1/5 for only looking great with HS theme sets, 1/5 for stickers; 1/5 for minimal storage value; and 1/5 for appealing too much to kids and less to teens or AFOLs..; 1/5 for looking like cheap dollar general ripoffs; 1/5 for lame white box/instructions color; 1/5 for being too dependent on an app with limited device support; but 5/5 for being on sale in deep discounts everywhere.

Edited by kelceycoe

1 hour ago, kelceycoe said:

As a theme overall, perhaps Wave 2 will add some continuity to it but for the most part this theme can be broken down into its "twos": a school and a bus; a shrimp shack and juice bar; leaving the graveyard, boat, and stunt car to have their matches in the second wave.

Given that it’s a shrimp boat, I would say the Shrimp Shack and Shrimp Boat are matches . . and that you shouldn’t define the sets as being paired.

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Given that it’s a shrimp boat, I would say the Shrimp Shack and Shrimp Boat are matches . . and that you shouldn’t define the sets as being paired.

Only if the Shrimp boat brings shrimp for the restaurant to serve. Otherwise they are not mutually exclusive.

And why not pair them? Gives them meaning. The Graveyard and Train go together in some ways too.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:43 AM, Robert8 said:

I saw reports that these are already on sale.

Is that true? 

Because if these are already on sale... well thats not a good sign

This is just Lego new way of marketing. Make higher prices just to lower them later on sales.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

On 10/8/2019 at 3:37 AM, Lordofdragonss said:

This is just Lego new way of marketing. Make higher prices just to lower them later on sales.

I really think Lego jumped the gun with planning Hidden Side as a success and began producing a second wave before giving the first wave a chance. Monster Fighters went on sale around this time despite being released months earlier than anticipated and despite some fans insisting it was a popular line, business shows otherwise, and it was one of the most overstocked themes in 2012.

I've noticed one of my local Wal-Marts moved all the Hidden Side sets off the shelves and into a hidden standup display to make it look as if Hidden Side sets were selling out. Given the general income for this area, it would definitely seem unlikely, especially on a theme so dependent on an app that requires a very expensive phone to begin with.

Bottom line - Lego sets are toys, not apps. When the app is far better than the sets, that is a problem. The "ghosts" in each set are cheap 2D representations of actual 3D spooks that would have really enhanced the sets. Add to the wacky color variety and weird piece selection and design and the whole thing looks like a repeat of Time Cruisers with Fright Knights and Ninjago Ghosts. Not to mention it is a total ripoff of Stranger Things, whose set itself is laughable.

Hey I would say that the ghosts are distinct from the Ninjago Ghosts and Fright Nights. I don't really know if kids remember the Fright Nights at all, and the Ninjago theme was a few years ago

3 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Bottom line - Lego sets are toys, not apps. When the app is far better than the sets, that is a problem. The "ghosts" in each set are cheap 2D representations of actual 3D spooks that would have really enhanced the sets. Add to the wacky color variety and weird piece selection and design and the whole thing looks like a repeat of Time Cruisers with Fright Knights and Ninjago Ghosts. Not to mention it is a total ripoff of Stranger Things, whose set itself is laughable.

I haven’t seen any signs in Australia of poor sales. Whatever that’s worth. 

But you’re right about the sets; there are a lot of instances I’ve seen across the line where design was compromised to enable features for the app. Going forward, these sets need to stand on their own as playsets with or without the app. The High School’s good in this regard, the AR is peripheral to the set’s functions. Meanwhile the more I look at the Diner, the less appealing it seems. (Though I’ll still probably get it when I see a good sale.)

I just hope they add regular ghosts to the second wave, not just the possessed characters.

TV SERIES COMING; ACTIVITY & ghost-hunting BOOKS EACH WITH MINIFIGURE COMING 2020:

https://www.target.com/p/guide-to-ghost-hunting-with-minifigure-lego-hidden-side-by-meredith-rusu-paperback/-/A-77568073

https://www.target.com/p/activity-book-with-minifigure-lego-hidden-side-by-ameet-studio-paperback/-/A-77568070

1 hour ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I just hope they add regular ghosts to the second wave, not just the possessed characters.

Yes that would make the theme more attractive to AFOLs like myself than just avoiding it, or like me, using select sets as add-on kits to my Monster collection.

28 minutes ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Watch the Minifigure being main hero again :/

What does that even mean? As in, watch Jack and Parker be the heroes? Of course they’re going to be the heroes. 

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

What does that even mean? As in, watch Jack and Parker be the heroes? Of course they’re going to be the heroes. 

Maybe meant the books - would be a shame if they featured the main characters as minifigs yet again.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, kelceycoe said:

So I broke down and bought the Juice Bar, new and through the secondary market. (very cheap)

I'm not impressed with the very vibrant, cheap looking pieces. But I bought this set as an add-on to my horror scene (which I will upload later).

I do like the kid. I think LEGO done a great job of recreating a character you could see on The Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. (Although, hilariously, there is a girl who resembles her in the remake of "Child's Play").

I like the citizen - when he is a citizen. I'm not a fan of the ghost heads because - looking at the theme's graphics, they are poor representations of 3D ghosts. However, I do like his face a little better than the rest of these ghosts.

Stickers are lame, except for the Slushi one, that one is awesome. The two lone ones on the back remind me of the ugly out-of-place Blue ones from the Werewolf sets.

I'm impressed by the size. This is a big juice bar and worth me paying far less than getting it free with such an amount of purchase.

Like everyone else, better ghost figures are a must. I wish they would have provided 3D molded heads like they did with the Simpsons.

I'm not a fan of the culture represented by the citizens and designs. Where did Lego get the influence for that god-awful graveyard design? Kreo?

I haven't matched them against my existing monster themes or Scooby/Ghostbusters, but I feel they are out of place and belong with the Mixels or as its own theme.

It was nice seeing pieces from The Haunted House reused, although only 2.

I do love Lego's appeal to this new generation, I'm guessing "juice bars" are popular in cities? I didn't think they were a thing like Starbucks.

Overall, it'll serve my purpose of putting it near my witch cottage for patrons watching fights to get juice.

Beyond that, it belongs only in the Hidden Side theme and sometime in the future I'll set it against the old Studios Monsters, MF, GB, SD themes to show what I mean.

5/5 for Hidden Side/Stranger Things fans; 3/5 for serving my purpose despite the crazy color scheme; 5/5 for value in terms of the size of the juice bar and minifigure count; 1/5 for having minimal replay value; and 1/5 for only looking great with HS theme sets, 1/5 for stickers; 1/5 for minimal storage value; and 1/5 for appealing too much to kids and less to teens or AFOLs..; 1/5 for looking like cheap dollar general ripoffs; 1/5 for lame white box/instructions color; 1/5 for being too dependent on an app with limited device support; but 5/5 for being on sale in deep discounts everywhere.

if you got it from the secondary market are you sure you didn't buy a Chinese bootleg as my pieces are in excellent quality

12 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

if you got it from the secondary market are you sure you didn't buy a Chinese bootleg as my pieces are in excellent quality

Nice try but unless you got it free with a promotion the only other way to buy it is from Ebay and it's very genuine.

Whilst I like the theme (as opposed to my boy who LOVES it), the omnipresent near-identical minifigs of Jack and Parker (both sets and promos) are a bit of a letdown.

Hopefully more variety in the next wave (boss ghosts?) but not impressed with the leaked Jack (different expression couple of slime splotches) and ghost pirate that looks like a lame instore BAM effort.

Edited by Lucarex

On 10/8/2019 at 10:37 AM, Lordofdragonss said:

Which is a pretty poor business strategy if you ask me. 

Edited by Lego David

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:15 AM, kelceycoe said:

Nice try but unless you got it free with a promotion the only other way to buy it is from Ebay and it's very genuine.

I don't know what you are trying to imply as I was only stating something obvious and again the pieces in my set were in excellent quality I hate people like you who look down on everyone and treat others like garbage this just shows what kind of person you are

9 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Whilst I like the theme (as opposed to my boy who LOVES it), the omnipresent near-identical minifigs of Jack and Parker (both sets and promos) are a bit of a letdown.

Hopefully more variety in the next wave (boss ghosts?) but not impressed with the leaked Jack (different expression couple of slime splotches) and ghost pirate that looks like a lame instore BAM effort.

I’m not entirety convinced those “leaks” are real - they were debunked by prominent leakers and the pirate is made entirely out of existing parts...

How many versions of Jake and Parker does one need?

That's why I said this theme needs a bigger gang. At least another guy and girl 

Yeah, just seen the account holder ‘fess up...

Will never understand fake leaks or those who post them :hmpf:

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

How many versions of Jake and Parker does one need?

That's why I said this theme needs a bigger gang. At least another guy and girl 

Like a certain Mystery Machine driving gang perhaps? :wink:

I wouldn’t mind numerous versions but pretty much all of the wave 1 sets have near-identical minifigs of those two. And don’t get me started on Spencer...

The guys over at Promobricks have posted descriptions of the upcoming sets: 
https://www.promobricks.de/lego-hidden-side-2020-neue-sets/87522

They’re in german though, so you might want to ask Google Translate or DeepL for some assistance :wink:

Highlights include a ghost clown and a double-headed ghost *oh2*

Edited by Lego-Freak