Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 12:54 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's @Zusammengebaut's interview at last month's Fan Media Days with designers Louis and Murray Andrews for Hidden Side! :classic:

Only just saw the video. that just made me even more exciting bout the theme, might get the Train even at some point.

Still one of my favorite aspect of the sets is that the locations and figures can be "normal" and "possesed". 

I have been collecting City and Creator sets mainly since Nexo Knights stopped and this'll fit right in with both, or even have a new custom Monster faction :alien:

For 2019, best new theme for me.

I hope they'll add some alternate build functionality with the app to promote building and changing the bricks.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Only just saw the video. that just made me even more exciting bout the theme, might get the Train even at some point.

Still one of my favorite aspect of the sets is that the locations and figures can be "normal" and "possesed". 

I have been collecting City and Creator sets mainly since Nexo Knights stopped and this'll fit right in with both, or even have a new custom Monster faction :alien:

For 2019, best new theme for me.

I hope they'll add some alternate build functionality with the app to promote building and changing the bricks.

I take it Ninjago does nothing for you? :laugh:

Joking aside, I completely agree, this is definitely one of the best new themes we've had in a while.

I love how the sets are designed so that they'll fit in with city sets for the people who collect those, while also making fantastic spooky sets for those of us that prefer the more horror-tinged display.

I know that personally I'll be populating the sets I pick up from this wave with all of the horror monsters I've been accumulating over the years.:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely getting the boat & train.  Need more tramp freighters for my naval vessels to escort, and the train's color scheme would work great for the main villainous faction, with a few adjustments (i.e. replace the dark red with yellow to make it a BLACKTRON train).

Probably will also get the road chase set too for the motorcycles & truck.  I also think that the box art for these sets is really cool and makes them stand out from the rest of LEGO's product lineup.

EDIT:  Also meant to add that in addition to being useful for City & Horror type builders, these are also really useful for post-apocalyptic builders, since most of the buildings & vehicles in the sets are already pretty run-down looking, all they need is some (additional) spikes, chains & guns & stuff to look like they came straight out of Mad Max.

Edited by Laura Beinbrech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

I take it Ninjago does nothing for you? :laugh:

Ninjago is not a new theme, but it's indeed fantastic this year, especially the ice and snake figures, but on a whole I don't want to get into too many themes at once.

I almost got the Monastery as a one-off set as it contains the full team of Ninjas+Wu. But if I do that, I know I want more sets because those ice and fire villains are great.

I gotta set priorities, and keep my number of themes to a limit.

After 5 waves of Nexo Knights, I now collect some City and Creator 3-in-1, and Hidden side fits in there better.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Ninjago is not a new theme, but it's indeed fantastic this year, especially the ice and snake figures, but on a whole I don't want to get into too many themes at once.

I almost got the Monastery as a one-off set as it contains the full team of Ninjas+Wu. But if I do that, I know I want more sets because those ice and fire villains are great.

I gotta set priorities, and keep my number of themes to a limit.

After 5 waves of Nexo Knights, I now collect City/Creator 3-in-1, and Hidden side fits in there better.

I get that. I passed on most of the Legacy sets this year since the builds were all weirdly lacking in certain areas, so I've got a bit saved up for this year.

I miss Nexo Knights, especially since I didn't start getting into it until the theme was on the chopping block and so missed the majority of year 1's sets. :cry2: Currently I selectively collect Ninjago for fantasy creatures and the occasional structure, Harry Potter for Structures and the occasional Marvel set if the build doesn't hurt me to look at. I'll be religiously collecting the Hidden Side location sets just because of how sweet they look. Not a huge fan of the vehicles so far aside from the ghost ship, but hopefully this theme goes on for a long while.

Interestingly enough I feel like Hidden Side is a proper successor to Nexo Knights, since it fills that niche of being weird and completely different in feel from anything else Lego's making right now.

Edited by shadefoundry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

Interestingly enough I feel like Hidden Side is a proper successor to Nexo Knights, since it fills that niche of being weird and completely different in feel from anything else Lego's making right now.

That's how I feel right now, it's different enough, yet fits right in with recent Creator 3-in-1 scale/sets for me.

And at some point I'll start taking apart my sets to make my own weird things.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still really excited for this theme. I'm gonna need to give old fishing store a hidden side treatment to go with the generally swampy feel of these sets. Something reaching out from under the pier probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so excited for this theme too. I think I'll end up buying at least three or four sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any guesses for year 2?

The 2020 wave is already confirmed and these themes usually change a lot from year to year (Chima, Nexo Knights, Ninjago, etc....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Any guesses for year 2?

The 2020 wave is already confirmed and these themes usually change a lot from year to year (Chima, Nexo Knights, Ninjago, etc....)

Personally, I'd really like for the theme to open itself up to further "spooky" antagonists beyond just ghosts; but, that'd unfortunately just defeat the whole point of its AR-based gimmick that it revolves around. :def_shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Any guesses for year 2?

The 2020 wave is already confirmed and these themes usually change a lot from year to year (Chima, Nexo Knights, Ninjago, etc....)

More of the same, but more locations instead of vehicles, and actually including the ghosts in the sets rather than just possessed citizens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, PenPlays said:

More of the same, but more locations instead of vehicles, and actually including the ghosts in the sets rather than just possessed citizens.

Amen. But Wave 2's been confirmed? When?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Amen. But Wave 2's been confirmed? When?

In an interview over Brickset

One of the designers said the 2020 wave in on the works 

I didnt open a thread for it because we know pretty much nothing about it, other that the confirmation that is indeed happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Robert8 said:
1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Amen. But Wave 2's been confirmed? When?

In an interview over Brickset

One of the designers said the 2020 wave in on the works 

I didnt open a thread for it because we know pretty much nothing about it, other that the confirmation that is indeed happening.

I take it that it's this interview back from March you're speaking of? 

Brickset - Interview with Murray Andrews, Hidden Side Designer

Quote

Brickset: Do you expect the theme to have some longevity, in that case?

MurrayAbsolutely, the range is launching in August but we already have plans to release new sets next year. We cannot reveal very much at the moment but some exciting additions to the augmented reality are in development and we expect to provide further information as 2020 draws nearer, relating to the sets, the app and the story of Hidden Side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'd prefer more locations like a haunted mansion/house,a lighthouse,a fancy restaurant,a flower shop etc.

I know some of them aren't original set ideas but a haunted mansion is a must for spooky themes and an updated version of the lighthouse from Scooby Doo would be a nice addition to this theme as well.And with the flower shop they can be creative with possessed plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see possesed versions of Parker and Jack

As for locations, a haunted fairground/carnival would be my first choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A haunted Castle, or Pirate Ship could work as the big set of the wave.

Of course I prefer a real Castle or Pirate theme but, those are still locations  known to have ghosts in many stories, movies, video games.

Possesed knights or pirate figures could be nice.

Depending how they move the theme forward, could maybe even have objects possesed, like a knight's armor suit or spectral swords.

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'd like to see possesed versions of Parker and Jack

As for locations, a haunted fairground/carnival would be my first choice. 

These are both really good ideas!

The fairground/carnival idea is one of the ones I've considered that makes for a coherent "subtheme", if they were to choose to opt for that at any point (instead of just the sort of general variety we've had so far).

A haunted mall would be another concept that could potentially work as either a large set or a series of smaller sets.

Other ideas I've had that don't necessarily fit the idea of a unified subtheme but still could be interesting concepts:

A haunted airfield with a helicopter, plane, and/or hot air balloon (either haunted or equipped to fight the ghosts)
A haunted farm (possibly with a haunted barn or tractor)
A haunted construction site with monstrous construction equipment
A haunted gymnasium to go with the school and the "Squids" basketball team.
A haunted lighthouse
A haunted ice cream truck/food truck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if it would be possible to do a Haunted Sewer/Water Works set? Maybe that's irresponsible.

Haunted Dentist's Office might play on some combined fears.

Maybe a Haunted Semi Truck as a kind of "opposite" to El Fuego's truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A second wave is guaranteed? Sweet. Can't wait to get some Hidden Side sets next month and I'll be looking forward to next year's sets already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, Lyichir said:

A haunted airfield with a helicopter, plane, and/or hot air balloon (either haunted or equipped to fight the ghosts)
A haunted farm (possibly with a haunted barn or tractor)
A haunted construction site with monstrous construction equipment

Great ideas, especially if I picture then in the muted tones of this them, as opposed to how these appeared in City. Also, I'd add a haunted chemical/power plant and a junkyard to your list. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite happy to see people excited about this theme, it was quite the journey to get where we are today. Not long now until the release! I am really looking forward to seeing what people think when they get their hands on the sets. My favorite thing about this theme is that it allowed us to do some contemporary sets that we would normally not get to do in other themes.

On another note, before people get too excited and start using the word "guaranteed", in regards to a second year. Nothing is ever really guaranteed until it's on the market. So I'd recommend staying cautiously optimistic to avoid disappointments. We have a lot of stuff ready for the future, but last minute changes of plans have and will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, Lyichir said:

The fairground/carnival idea is one of the ones I've considered that makes for a coherent "subtheme", if they were to choose to opt for that at any point (instead of just the sort of general variety we've had so far).

Abandoned fairgrounds are a very common place for urban explorers to go. I feels it fits just right with the whole millennial vibe from Jack and Parker. They just need a couple of extra members for a gang. 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 5:43 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Personally, I'd really like for the theme to open itself up to further "spooky" antagonists beyond just ghosts; but, that'd unfortunately just defeat the whole point of its AR-based gimmick that it revolves around. :def_shrug:

No, not necessarily. Let's say the second year monsters are ghouls. Maybe they can include the ghouls in the sets and using the app the ghouls can suffer transformations or just scary animations. There can be like 5 or 6 different animations for each ghoul which would appear randomly so it's not always the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.