Recommended Posts

when I went to my local lego store yesterday an employee told me they are due for release in august so that's confirmed it for me

if they theme is a success though I wonder what other builds they can do as we have a fantastic variety in the 8 sets already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheGlynreaper said:

if they theme is a success though I wonder what other builds they can do as we have a fantastic variety in the 8 sets already

Well, out of the subject matter covered in the first wave one (two depending on how you look at it) glaring exception/s come to mind.

Unless Newbury High is a boarding school, Jack and Parker don't have anywhere to live. 

I could definitely see a future wave's flagship set being a big haunted "Parker Mansion", where Parker's no-doubt-rich-af parents live and disapprove of their rebellious punk teenage daughter. Probably a smaller house for Jack at some point, too. Or vice versa.

I could also definitely see a haunted supermarket. A shoutout to that one episode of Gravity Falls, maybe?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

when I went to my local lego store yesterday an employee told me they are due for release in august so that's confirmed it for me

if they theme is a success though I wonder what other builds they can do as we have a fantastic variety in the 8 sets already

Oh, I can think of tons of directions they could take the theme. Its down-to-earth subject matter that gets elevated to fantasy with "haunted" features means that the range of subject matter it could cover is nearly as broad as themes like City or Friends.

A few ideas I've had:

  • A fair/amusement park. Honestly, like with Friends, you could potentially even make a whole wave of sets focused on this conceit. Haunted roller coaster, haunted ferris wheel, haunted carousel... the list goes on and on.
  • A farm setting. Either a physical building like a barn and silo, a haunted vehicle like a tractor or crop duster... potentially even both! I'm sure City fans would love to see the farm setting revisited, especially if it came with some farm animals.
  • A shopping mall. There's so much that could be done with that sort of setting due to the variety of stores and businesses.
  • An arcade! A fitting setting for the hip young protagonists to visit, and one that could offer all sorts of interesting haunted arcade machines.
  • A pizzeria. One of the most classic and iconic types of Lego restaurants, and one that could offer features like a haunted oven.
  • A bowling alley. What if the alley turned into a huge mouth that "ate" the ball and pins?
  • A haunted hotel. One of those classic spooky sorts of locations.
  • A haunted car wash! Another great sort of business that can feel spooky (perhaps with the brushes being replaced by spikes or teeth).

That's not even getting into the vast potential for vehicles. I've already MOCed a haunted hot air balloon on LDD and have been trying to come up with a ghost-fighting helicopter or airplane to fight it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's got to be a haunted lighthouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only just now noticed this theme and was completely blown away. It looks like the perfect mix between Monster Fighters, Ghostbusters and Scooby Doo.

Do we know anything about pricing? I hope the app stuff doesn't push the prices too high up, as I don't care about that part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hive said:

Do we know anything about pricing? I hope the app stuff doesn't push the prices too high up, as I don't care about that part.

Pricing so far seems fair, only the Train set is outside of the normal price range.

https://brickset.com/article/43695

Prices for the Lab and Diner are estimates, the others I got from the article.

Lab - $19.99, €19.99

Boat  - £24.99, $29.99, €29.99

Graveyard - £24.99, $29.99, €29.99

Truck - £34.99, $39.99, €39.99

Diner - $49.99, €49.99

Bus - £54.99, $59.99, €59.99

Train - £69.99, $89.99, €79.99

School -  £109.99, $129.99, €119.99

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Pricing so far seems fair, only the Train set is outside of the normal price range.

https://brickset.com/article/43695

Prices for the Lab and Diner are estimates, the others I got from the article.

Lab - $19.99, €19.99

Boat  - £24.99, $29.99, €29.99

Graveyard - £24.99, $29.99, €29.99

Truck - £34.99, $39.99, €39.99

Diner - $49.99, €49.99

Bus - £54.99, $59.99, €59.99

Train - £69.99, $89.99, €79.99

School -  £109.99, $129.99, €119.99

Thanks a bunch!

I'm looking to get at least the School, the Diner and the Boat - and likely also the Graveyard. Great colours, great parts, great figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa that waitress minifigure looks possessed by Satan himself 

Really scary... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are now official pics of the Diner set.

The cook looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

There are now official pics of the Diner set.

The cook looks great

Where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Promobricks

I cant post them myself. :sceptic:

Not sure those pictures are new, but thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One of the better part of the theme is that they at least include normal heads/hair for the characters, the waitress/chef still useful in a city as well.

The use of Trans-Neon Green in the Monster heads/hairpieces is just great.

And the orange haired guy with a red Pizza torso seems to be a reference to none other then LEGO Island Pepper Roni. He also has (dark) blue legs.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with the American boxes we finally have English set names!

70418 J.B.’s Ghost Lab

70419 Wrecked Shrimp Boat

70420 Graveyard Mystery

70421 El Fuego’s Stunt Truck

70422 Shrimp Shack Attack

70423 Paranormal Intercept Bus 3000

70424 Ghost Train Express

70425 Newbury Haunted High School

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up until seeing these photos I was pretty negative about this theme. However, and maybe it's because I seen them on a computer and not a phone, I am open to it and want to see these in person myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And with the American boxes we finally have English set names!

70418 J.B.’s Ghost Lab

70419 Wrecked Shrimp Boat

70420 Graveyard Mystery

70421 El Fuego’s Stunt Truck

70422 Shrimp Shack Attack

70423 Paranormal Intercept Bus 3000

70424 Ghost Train Express

70425 Newbury Haunted High School

 

 

So El Fuego's vehicle actually isn't called the Banana Truck like I thought for the last three months? Damnit. 

And so must wasted potential for puns! Why not Shrimp Shack Snack Attack, or Bus-ter 3000?

Interesting to know that the shipwreck is a Shrimp fishing boat. I guess shrimp is Newbury's primary export. Nice bit of worldbuilding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So El Fuego's vehicle actually isn't called the Banana Truck like I thought for the last three months? Damnit. 

And so must wasted potential for puns! Why not Shrimp Shack Snack Attack, or Bus-ter 3000?

Interesting to know that the shipwreck is a Shrimp fishing boat. I guess shrimp is Newbury's primary export. Nice bit of worldbuilding!

The marshy environments, architecture, and shrimp give me a Louisiana vibe.

As for “Banana”, that was in the placeholder names for all the sets (presumably the code name for the whole theme).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Still by far my favorite theme of 2019, and favorite new theme since Nexo Knights.

Just a single picture doesn't do the set's justice, as it doesn't properly show off the figures and transformation features.

Only sets I have a doubt about is the Train set, as I don't have a train right now at all, and the base price is higher then the rest of the sets, but if I find the Cargo Train as well on big discount it could combine well. (using the rerailer on the switch section)

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The marshy environments, architecture, and shrimp give me a Louisiana vibe.

As for “Banana”, that was in the placeholder names for all the sets (presumably the code name for the whole theme).

The boat and diner have been my only definite buys since the initial reveals - I like all the rest too though and may try to pick up more. I can definitely see the Louisiana now that you mention it - aboveground graves check out too. 

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Just a single picture doesn't do the set's justice, as it doesn't properly show off the figures and transformation features

this is true. Still not sure what the dark side of the shrimp comes out to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, Lyichir said:

The marshy environments, architecture, and shrimp give me a Louisiana vibe.

As for “Banana”, that was in the placeholder names for all the sets (presumably the code name for the whole theme).

It also very much reminds me of some of the older, less well-maintained structures outside of VA beach/Norfolk or on the Delmarva peninsula...  But then again, due to being stationed at the former for about 6 months when I was in the Navy & going down to the latter (Chincoteague mainly) at least once a year for the past 8 years, I guess those areas (which are also marshy environments with that southern coastal architecture) would be the first thing that pops in my mind.

I do have to say that they definitely nailed the look of the shrimp shack:  There are some seafood shanties in the Chesapeake Bay area & Delmarva peninsula that look almost exactly like that, and though they might look like some place you DON'T want to eat, I can verify that they usually have some of the best seafood. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think i’m in love with creepy lego. The designers did great with this theme, especially if all those neat builds have secret ghost features build in it as well. I am truly eagerly awaiting for the sets to come out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now available to pre-order (for Aug 1) on S@H...

Personally, the graveyard, fishing boat, and shrimp shack are instant buys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.