Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

1 minute ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

A possessed version of Parker? Like, you scanned Parker and it said she was possessed or I tried actually showed an image of Parker with a ghost head? If so can you share a picture?

No, you scan figures and then it tells you something along the lines of “oh no, it’s the construction worker and they’re possessed” except this case it was “Youtuber Parker.” I scanned the female figure from the ghost train over 10-15 times and it got a different result each time, only one of which was actually correct. Some other interesting ones were “Armitage,” “Pilot,” and “Stewardess,” although no photos were shown as the app assumed you had the figure in front of you.

Just now, legozebra said:

No, you scan figures and then it tells you something along the lines of “oh no, it’s the construction worker and they’re possessed” except this case it was “Youtuber Parker.” I scanned the female figure from the ghost train over 10-15 times and it got a different result each time, only one of which was actually correct. Some other interesting ones were “Armitage,” “Pilot,” and “Stewardess,” although no photos were shown as the app assumed you had the figure in front of you.

Ah. Shoot. 

I don't know what Armitage means, but Pilot and Stewardess are pretty conclusive. Sounds like we'll get a Hidden Side possessed plane next year. (Which could be awesome if done right.) And YouTuber Parker is also indicative that next year they might start animated shorts in YouTube from a first-person perspective of Parker blogging about their ghostbusting ghost hunting. Also interesting to know that (in theory) you can use any Hidden Side minifigure from any set with any set's AR.

On an unrelated note, having finally seen reviews of the Banana Truck, I'm happy to see that El Fuego is not an exclusive character, but rather a variant of the same Mr. Elton that appears in the Lab and High School. That's a relief, the way I was envisioning it was that Mr. Elton was in those sets as some kind of saboteur (hence why he was possessed in the Lab) and Lego had made the fourth hero, El Fuego, exclusive to the Truck set. I'm glad, now I don't have to get the Truck to have all four of the heroes. 

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Ah. Shoot. 

I don't know what Armitage means, but Pilot and Stewardess are pretty conclusive. Sounds like we'll get a Hidden Side possessed plane next year. (Which could be awesome if done right.) And YouTuber Parker is also indicative that next year they might start animated shorts in YouTube from a first-person perspective of Parker blogging about their ghostbusting ghost hunting. Also interesting to know that (in theory) you can use any Hidden Side minifigure from any set with any set's AR.

On an unrelated note, having finally seen reviews of the Banana Truck, I'm happy to see that El Fuego is not an exclusive character, but rather a variant of the same Mr. Elton that appears in the Lab and High School. That's a relief, the way I was envisioning it was that Mr. Elton was in those sets as some kind of saboteur (hence why he was possessed in the Lab) and Lego had made the fourth hero, El Fuego, exclusive to the Truck set. I'm glad, now I don't have to get the Truck to have all four of the heroes. 

Armitage is a name, but I didn't recognize it as one of the named characters in Wave 1 (correct me if I'm wrong)

And yeah, Pilot and Stewardess sound like a Hidden Side Plane! 

Another unrelated note is that one of my favorite parts of the app is the ghost guide section - the one-sentence backstories about how they died are quite amusing, especially a certain ghost who was an escaped mental hospital patient who went mad believing the entire world was made out of plastic, including himself... :laugh:

Edited by legozebra

I'm traveling at the moment and just stopped at a random Walmart, which happened to be exactly as they were wheeling out a bunch of new LEGO stuff to stock, including Hidden Side sets:

https://imgur.com/a/gUiZl6m

Refraining from buying any until I get back home though, wouldn't be able to build them until then anyway and don't need to take up more space in the car.

Edited by jamesster

Picked up the Shrimp Boat Wreck yesterday evening. Naturally my son woke me at 6am to build it :iamded_lol: and now busy scanning with app and fighting the ghostly likes of Captain Archibald!

Edited by Lucarex

Dang, I had hoped the small promo set would be available now that the sets are officially released... Got a VIP reward coupon that will expire in 10 days, so either I have to order something by then or just let it go to waste.

When do you think that Hidden Side parts will appear on bricks and pieces? Just built the shrimp boat and while the build itself is great and well detailed, I was disappointed to find that Lego is still having issues with the quality of the minifigures. A few of the printed parts came with the black lines being all fuzzy like they didn't put enough ink on, and one of the torsos of the sailors came with chips and dents round the base. 

I was hoping to buy some of the other sets too but I think I'll wait until the parts appear on bricks and pieces so that if I inevitably come across more defective pieces, I won't be waiting too long for replacements.

4 hours ago, JasonEffex said:

When do you think that Hidden Side parts will appear on bricks and pieces? Just built the shrimp boat and while the build itself is great and well detailed, I was disappointed to find that Lego is still having issues with the quality of the minifigures. A few of the printed parts came with the black lines being all fuzzy like they didn't put enough ink on, and one of the torsos of the sailors came with chips and dents round the base. 

I was hoping to buy some of the other sets too but I think I'll wait until the parts appear on bricks and pieces so that if I inevitably come across more defective pieces, I won't be waiting too long for replacements.

Hidden Side sets currently loaded on the system.
Oddly all the cool minifigs parts are missing. I didn't consider them as licensed ones...

Edited by Ponga91

41 minutes ago, Ponga91 said:

Oddly all the cool minifigs parts are missing. I didn't consider them as licensed ones...

Nexo Knights was in-house "licensed" as well.

42 minutes ago, Ponga91 said:

The minifig parts don't even show up if you go through the 'broken bricks' section where licensed parts would be present, so I assume that they just don't have any of the new parts available just yet.

9 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Nexo Knights was in-house "licensed" as well.

I was in my dark age at the time :)
Sad news to hear it will even be possible

6 minutes ago, JasonEffex said:

The minifig parts don't even show up if you go through the 'broken bricks' section where licensed parts would be present, so I assume that they just don't have any of the new parts available just yet.

Didn't think about that, I hope so

im only interested in the school , graveyard and boat sets but I cant buy any until September as I have to buy a new laptop and  some blu ray boxsets I need that I will really really regret if they go out of print or stock

10 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

Dang, I had hoped the small promo set would be available now that the sets are officially released... Got a VIP reward coupon that will expire in 10 days, so either I have to order something by then or just let it go to waste.

Same here. But oh well, the release of Hidden Side coincides with a local store having their yearly "35 % off LEGO" sale - so I'll manage. :laugh:

My daughter and I found a target that had a few of the sets out today.  I picked up the bus and she grabbed the lab.  She spent nearly an hour playing with the app so she seems pretty hooked.  I haven't tried it out yet but the build of the lab was fun.  Getting three minifigures plus the dog and extra head makes it feel a little worth the money as it is a fairly sparse set.

So I've gotten my hands on the boat now and even though I've seen it online and already knew I liked the design, the set has still managed to surprise me with how good it looks on display. The ghostly face looks a lot better in person than it did in pictures and reviews, and the possessed sailor specifically has a really creepy look to him. I'm planning to make some modifications to give the island a bit more of a Lovecraftian feel, but so far so good. I'll be looking into picking up the graveyard next, followed by the diner if my budget allows.

Edited by shadefoundry

14 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/08/01/apple-lego-hidden-side-ar-kits/

This might be part of why Lego is making a big deal about Hidden Side. Has anyone ever heard of Apple doing anything with Lego before?

It’s odd they’re in Apple Stores (online and soon to be physical) but the cynic in me suggests it’s just another way for Apple to promote their stuff, particularly their ridiculously fragmented iPad lineup as well as push new iPhones (“new” one expected to drop in September). No coincidence that the app won’t work on many older devices.

17 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

It’s odd they’re in Apple Stores (online and soon to be physical) but the cynic in me suggests it’s just another way for Apple to promote their stuff, particularly their ridiculously fragmented iPad lineup as well as push new iPhones (“new” one expected to drop in September). No coincidence that the app won’t work on many older devices.

I have literally the most recent phone that the app doesn't work on. So you certainly have a point. 

9 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

So I've gotten my hands on the boat now and even though I've seen it online and already knew I liked the design, the set has still managed to surprise me with how good it looks on display. The ghostly face looks a lot better in person than it did in pictures and reviews, and the possessed sailor specifically has a really creepy look to him. I'm planning to make some modifications to give the island a bit more of a Lovecraftian feel, but so far so good. I'll be looking into picking up the graveyard next, followed by the diner if my budget allows.

I picked up the boat today too - would have gotten more, but the Legacy Monastery of Spinjitzu was on discount and I have been waiting for the right opportunity to get that one for months and I couldn't get any more without going over budget. It really is a gorgeous boat, and it fits perfectly in my modified Ninjago City Docks. (In which I rotated the dock ninety degrees.) For me, I'm gonna wait for a good Target sale to get the High School, and I'm also eyeing up the Graveyard and Shrimp Shack. I want the Ghost Train too, but I suspect that the Juice Bar promo we've seen will be a Shop@Home exclusive with Hidden Side purchases so I'm gonna hold off on getting the Ghost Train until the Juice Bar becomes available. 

No sign of the Juice Bar GWP. Hmmm. Is there a timeline or pattern to previous new theme launches and GWPs?

Oh and like lots of others, the Shrimp Boat wreck was our first purchase from this theme. Aside from the great value, the design fits superbly with the Old Fishing Store!

26 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

No sign of the Juice Bar GWP. Hmmm. Is there a timeline or pattern to previous new theme launches and GWPs?

I don't really expect it to show up while they have the €200 bag promo going for the next 2 weeks.

I spoke to one of the guys in the Watford shop yesterday evening about the juice bar, apparently they have no clue how or when it's supposed to be releasing. So that's.. something I guess!

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't really expect it to show up while they have the €200 bag promo going for the next 2 weeks.

One of the worst GWP’s ever at that level. Recall they did similar last year.

I must say as I like the sets but the game ireally is a letdown for me. Boring and WAY too repetitious.
The augumented reality is JUST for changing the colorwheels... No mysteries, no interesting lore... Meh...
I liked Nexo way more.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I really hope the next wave has ghost figures, not just the possessed minifigure.