Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

I really hope that that promotional set is widely distributed. It looks gorgeous and I would love to have it. Unfortunately it seems to have exclusive stickers so it can't be easily built out of existing parts . . I wonder if it'll work with the AR or if it's just a model? Either way it looks perfect for my village and I want it. 

I do hope the promo set is an online Shop@Home GWP set in August.

The set number is 40336 , and the Rocket Ride promo was 40335.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I do hope the promo set is an online Shop@Home GWP set in August.

The set number is 40336 , and the Rocket Ride promo was 40335.

The numbering is definitely in line with past GWPs.

I just HOPE it's August... it always bites when a theme-specific GWP shows up after you've already gotten all the sets you want from the required theme.

One thing I'm curious about is whether this set will have app integration of any sort. The boxart being like the other sets might seem to suggest that, but it seems to lack the dials, markers, and similar physical features the other sets have to allow for more involved gameplay integration. The possible existence of promotional sets that lack the theme's main gimmick is sort of a mixed bag—it'd certainly open up the potential for sets of a wider range of sizes and price points (possibly even including smaller sets like polybags), but with how much emphasis they've put on the app, sets and figures that you can't use with it might be sort of a letdown.

Edited by Lyichir

On 7/23/2019 at 9:04 AM, Lyichir said:

The numbering is definitely in line with past GWPs.

I just HOPE it's August... it always bites when a theme-specific GWP shows up after you've already gotten all the sets you want from the required theme.

One thing I'm curious about is whether this set will have app integration of any sort. The boxart being like the other sets might seem to suggest that, but it seems to lack the dials, markers, and similar physical features the other sets have to allow for more involved gameplay integration. The possible existence of promotional sets that lack the theme's main gimmick is sort of a mixed bag—it'd certainly open up the potential for sets of a wider range of sizes and price points (possibly even including smaller sets like polybags), but with how much emphasis they've put on the app, sets and figures that you can't use with it might be sort of a letdown.

Personally, I'm suddenly reminded of Skylanders in discussing this little promotional set; in addition to the main playable figures, Activision created 'Magic Items', additional toys that could be used to unlock in-game benefits. It's possible that 40336 will, when scanned as a set, unlock some kind of bonus stage or secret boss ghost in the game, or something along those lines. 

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, kelceycoe said:

For the love of God the stupidest thing I read all day. Obviously he missed the first Lego Vampire who's alt head was drooling blood from his mouth or the whole Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom set. Or the uncut version of the Studios Monsters short film which really was scary, reminded me of the older Gumby cartoons.

There is nothing serious about these sets to make them remotely scary. They're just as playful and comical as the sly and ornery Lord Vampire from MF or the comics in the original Studios monsters and MF lines.

again another fake lego fan who has no clue about business whatsoever

ilwe can usei can use the graveyard set for a nightmare before Christmas scene moc with slight adjustments

if they have a haunted fairground ride for wave 2 I will completely lose it in a good way

6 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

again another fake lego fan who has no clue about business whatsoever

I've been collecting Legos since the 80s son. I personally have lived through the Pirates debut, the first Ghost minifigure, and all the sets from there on. I'm not too fond of Pirate lore but something about those sets and the Robin Hood sets hooked me as a kid. I'm not fake, I run two fan sites, one which happens to be dedicated to Spooky Lego sets, as well as other brick brands, and I'm with a huge majority of both AFOLs and trade publications who are against Hidden Side and project its failure. I understand business all too well, my masters degree just happens to be business administration, and this is clearly Lego capitalizing on Stranger Things and Ghostbusters, just in their own way. It's like somebody watched Ghostbusters 2016 and just went with it.

I'm loving the look of the female scientist. And I LOVED the video. But I'm just not digging the set vibes and their design. Doesn't make me fake. I didn't like the comical ghosts from the Ninjago ghost line and if I wasn't n my dark ages I'd collected the Skeleton Army line from the old Castle Fantasy era. I wasn't too thrilled with Fright Knights because of their designs and that's considered one of the worst lines in Lego history. Wasn't a fan of Time Cruisers either but obviously there were a lot of fans as there were entire comics and radio shows based on that line. I'm not real impressed with the faces of these "ghosts" and everything about it feels comical and weird, like a Monster High set from the other brand.

FYI: The Zombie Graveyard set from 2012's MF line was Lego's way of capitalizing on the Walking Dead phenomena back in its heyday. Only Toys R'Us seemed to catch that, although hilariously the ENTIRE IDEA of a zombie "bride and groom" and voodoo doctor (which was replaced by a zombie driver with a brown hand, alluding to the race of the voodoo doctor from the same film I'm about to name) is actually from an older film called White Zombie and it even featured a zombie wedding. But that was also a time when zombies were creations of voodoo doctors and were not dead, rotted animated corpses but rather hypnotized slaves under someone else's control.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, Aanchir said:

And I hardly see what's scary about the Temple of Doom set. The scene in the actual MOVIE was very frightening, but the set is basically a wacky, exciting chase scene with some mildly spooky-looking bad guys and some traps that are hardly unlike what you'd see in 90s Castle sets. The elements that actually made the movie scenes scary, point-of-view shots showing a perilous drop, or the gory scene of a man's heart being pulled out of his body, were absent from the miniaturized playset version.

I was talking about the set being based on the controversial film, Temple of Doom. That set sparked a lot of controversy upon its release, based on the content of the movie, which featured child endangerment, child slavery, the bloody heart rip, burning a man alive, the demonic vibe from the chants of the Thugee cult, and the production design of the film. Thanks to that set, many kids could be introduced to a film that should have been rated R but only wasn't because of had Steven Spielberg behind it (that's a known fact in the film business industry) but instead created the PG-13 rating for future films.

The set itself may be innocent but its derivative content is not.

Stranger Things is WAY more innocent than that film. As much throwback to '80s pop culture, it leaves out facts like one of the worst eras for crimes, AIDS, gangs, drugs, society recognizing predators exist, serial killer trials, baby switching, kidnappings, society acknowledging safety concerns with trick er treating (notably candy being spiked with razor blades or poison), etc.

Promo set Juice Bar official pictures look nice, I like the use of upside down transparent cone parts as drink cups, and the fact it can be used as "normal" juice bar is nice.

If it likely ends up as GWP, I just hope the minimum purchase is fair.

Edited by TeriXeri

MandR Productions on YouTube has a review and speed build video of the Paranormal Intercept Bus. Lots of fun easter eggs including a Rock Raiders logo sticker on the back of the bus as well as the unreleased computer game Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui on one of the computer screens inside!

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

MandR Productions on YouTube has a review and speed build video of the Paranormal Intercept Bus.

Thanks alot for the heads-up! I`ve missed both his reviews of the bus and the high school. Check x 2.

Can´t wait for the rest of the sets (both reviews and the physical sets in stores). Never before have LEGO released a (new) theme I need every single set of! :wub_drool:

7 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

FYI: The Zombie Graveyard set from 2012's MF line was Lego's way of capitalizing on the Walking Dead phenomena back in its heyday. Only Toys R'Us seemed to catch that, although hilariously the ENTIRE IDEA of a zombie "bride and groom" and voodoo doctor (which was replaced by a zombie driver with a brown hand, alluding to the race of the voodoo doctor from the same film I'm about to name) is actually from an older film called White Zombie and it even featured a zombie wedding.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm pretty sure the Zombie Driver's brown hand was meant to represent a driving glove, in accordance with the old-fashioned style of their chauffeur outfit. I don't think their design is meant to have any meaning particular to the Zombie Graveyard set, since I'm pretty sure that figure was designed mainly as the driver for The Vampyre Hearse set.

7 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

I didn't like the comical ghosts from the Ninjago ghost line and if I wasn't n my dark ages I'd collected the Skeleton Army line from the old Castle Fantasy era.

Genuinely puzzled — what about the Ninjago ghost designs makes you think they look comical? Other than the Skreemers, most of the 2015 Ninjago ghost designs look pretty creepy to me, certainly much more so than any ghost minifigures that preceded them. I don't see anything really humorous about figures like Bansha, Soul Archer, Wrayth, Ghoultar, Ming, Cowler, or Morro. They hit pretty much all the details I might expect from evil warrior spirits… tattered clothing, ectoplasmic bodies that blaze like eerie green fire, like a flame sharp pointed teeth, chains, exposed bones, etc.

Honestly, I feel like the Fantasy Era skeletons were a lot closer to looking "comical", since with their drawn-on smirking mouths, furrowed brow, and raised left "eyebrow" they're pretty much making the Dreamworks face… in spite of the fact that a skull made of rigid bone should ostensibly not be able to convey such an expression. That's before even getting into more particular skeleton variants like the Skeleton Ship Captain or the downright cartoonish design of their "home base*, the Skeleton Tower.

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

MandR Productions on YouTube has a review and speed build video of the Paranormal Intercept Bus. Lots of fun easter eggs including a Rock Raiders logo sticker on the back of the bus as well as the unreleased computer game Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui on one of the computer screens inside!

Awesome! Love these sorts of easter eggs, especially seeing more and more referencing major themes or media from my childhood like LEGO Racers, Junkbot, Rock Raiders, and Bionicle. Definitely one of the perks of more AFOLs of my generation becoming LEGO designers!

Had my first close look at Hidden Sides main minifigs from MandRproductions youtube review.

I've been waiting to see Jack's torso without the dual molded hoodie+cap. What a disappointment. The design and the printing quality is awful. The white shirt is flat with no details at all. And as expected from LEGO lately, they avoid printing yellow/flesh colour neck area as much as possible. I've seen better torso design from chinese knockoffs.

7 hours ago, summicron said:

Had my first close look at Hidden Sides main minifigs from MandRproductions youtube review.

I've been waiting to see Jack's torso without the dual molded hoodie+cap. What a disappointment. The design and the printing quality is awful. The white shirt is flat with no details at all. And as expected from LEGO lately, they avoid printing yellow/flesh colour neck area as much as possible. I've seen better torso design from chinese knockoffs.

Isn't this a good thing for people who prefer to swap from yellow figs to fleshies or vice-versa? I know I've seen complaints about figs that do have a printed skin tone on the torso when it's an outfit style that doesn't need to show skin.

4 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Isn't this a good thing for people who prefer to swap from yellow figs to fleshies or vice-versa? I know I've seen complaints about figs that do have a printed skin tone on the torso when it's an outfit style that doesn't need to show skin.

Yes including transforming them into zombies like I have done with Santa Clause, a clown, a Monster Fighter, and more. Or even convert some of these minifigs to ghosts or witches with the swapping.

Hmm he cant have the yellow neck printed because he has his hood on. It wouldnt make sense I think :look: The hood is from the sweater he has under the jacket

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

(image snipped)

Well this is... interesting. Is that a clock? Hope this becomes available everywhere; that's a really cool and unique promo!

22 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Oh wow - now that is a deep cut. I can't wait to get that set now!

Hidden Side Target DPCIs if anyone wants them - street date is this Sunday but you might get lucky, who knows.

204-00-____

0666 Lab

0807 Boat

7283 Grave

0818 Truck

9919 Diner

3433 Bus

8183 Train

4185 School

8 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Hidden Side Target DPCIs if anyone wants them - street date is this Sunday but you might get lucky, who knows.

204-00-____

0666 Lab

0807 Boat

7283 Grave

0818 Truck

9919 Diner

3433 Bus

8183 Train

4185 School

What do you use those for?

And I thought street date was August 1, next Thursday?

8 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

What do you use those for?

And I thought street date was August 1, next Thursday?

Brickseek.com offers a Target inventory checker to see if sets are in stock, and it usually works really well 99% of the time. Oddly enough, for these DPCIs, some are not showing up in Brickseek’s system yet and others are showing up as old retired sets from as far back as 2013. In this case, you can use them to go up to employees and ask them if they have any in stock and if they can give it to you. I’ve had luck in the past with employees giving me street dated items from the back stockroom (although they seem to be cracking down a lot harder on this practice) and from what I’ve seen, these seem to be out on shelves a bit early so it’s worth a shot.

Regarding the street date, it looks like these are releasing a bit early which is a nice surprise!

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, TeriXeri said:

Promo set Juice Bar official pictures look nice, I like the use of upside down transparent cone parts as drink cups, and the fact it can be used as "normal" juice bar is nice.

If it likely ends up as GWP, I just hope the minimum purchase is fair.

okay im stating it now that I really think a haunted amusement park ride could very well be included in wave 2