Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

5 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

I think it's possible for us to see kind of more lovecraftian type creatures if they end up going the route of the ghosts possessing more than just people. We already know that the town is off the coast of some large body of water, so what if we were to see possessed marine life? We could have squids growing in size and becoming large writhing masses of tentacles and evil, fish that resemble deep ones, etc. We already know that possession can result in additional limbs, like we've seen with the chef and sailor minifigures, and the chef specifically has a bit of a lovecraftian feel already with those tentacles. I dunno, I don't think we'll really get there but it's certainly possible.

The sailor had the tentacles, remember?

Also, I'm sure that I saw a ghost kraken in the art of the boat set. Which is probably a good indicator of where the theme's going. 

Oh, speaking of the tentacle part, that reminds me; I am very happy to have confirmation of a second wave. Because the tentacle part is exclusive to the boat set in this wave, but they're bound to reuse it somewhere in Wave 2.

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

They also pair fairly well with the ghost faction of Ninjago’s “Possession” wave, the parts from which I hope might give me a head start if I want to put together any Hidden Side MOCs.

Yeah . . I said that . . 

Tommy Andreasen, the guy behind this and Ninjago story-wise, has posted some teasers for tomorrow's SDCC panel, calling this "the scariest and most intense content I and LEGO have ever produced"

Sounds exciting!

17 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Jesus that "Bawa" is totally a demon, not a ghost, and it looks scary as heck

17 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Also, Demons aren't new territory for Lego. Putting aside the villain factions of the first two years of Nexo Knights, remember the the Ghostbusters 2016 set? Ecto-1 & 2? I'm pretty sure the ghost included there was directly referred to as a demon. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, 

Ninjago had Stone Demons as an enemy. And their Possession wave "legs" has been used in other themes (like others have mention). 

On 7/16/2019 at 8:43 AM, toothdominoes said:

Quite happy to see people excited about this theme, it was quite the journey to get where we are today. Not long now until the release! I am really looking forward to seeing what people think when they get their hands on the sets. My favorite thing about this theme is that it allowed us to do some contemporary sets that we would normally not get to do in other themes.

On another note, before people get too excited and start using the word "guaranteed", in regards to a second year. Nothing is ever really guaranteed until it's on the market. So I'd recommend staying cautiously optimistic to avoid disappointments. We have a lot of stuff ready for the future, but last minute changes of plans have and will happen.

Well let's keep our fingers crossed. I haven't been this excited for a new, non-licensed theme since... well, probably since Pirates I. I look forward to getting some of these sets. Good job!

LEGO-Hidden-Side.jpg

It seems Jack and Parker phones have like superpowers to fight back the ghost

Like an they downloaded an exorcism app or something

Edited by Robert8

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems Jack and Parker phones have like superpowers to fight back the ghost

Like an they downloaded an exorcism app or something

That’s sort of the main conceit of the theme, isn’t it? The app you use to detect and fight ghosts in the sets is meant to be analogous to the apps the characters in the theme are using.

Awesome key visual, by the way!

I wonder if the crocodile is possessed as well,because if that's the case then maybe we could see more possessed wild life in future waves.

New gameplay and animation SDCC trailer is out!

https://youtu.be/OnHa4Cd03B0

Animation is looking really cool and sets itself apart from the style of Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and Chima - excited for this to come out!

16 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Ninjago had Stone Demons as an enemy. And their Possession wave "legs" has been used in other themes (like others have mention). 

The Oni are explicitly referred to as demons several times in the Ninjago show, so it’s not necessarily new ground for Lego

Edited by legozebra

6 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Animation is looking really cool and sets itself apart from the style of Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and Chima - excited for this to come out!

Cool! I love the giant electric teddy bear, shame that version of the bear isn't in any of the sets. The regular-sized teddy bear that got leaked a while back doesn't really cut it, so I might MOC something like that . . 

8 minutes ago, legozebra said:

The Oni are explicitly referred to as demons several times in the Ninjago show, so it’s not necessarily new ground for Lego

Well I was thinking the "guys" that first showed up here...

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Ninjago/subtheme-The-Final-Battle 

I remember them getting called "Stone Demons". Plus I never watched the TV show.  

Not that Oni are not a type of demon. The first time I remembered hearing Oni was from Onimusha 2. And in that game they came off as some sort of "good guy". But the "second time" I heard of Oni was from the Jackie Chan cartoon show, and in that the Oni was more of the traditional "bad guy". 

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well I was thinking the "guys" that first showed up here...

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Ninjago/subtheme-The-Final-Battle 

I remember them getting called "Stone Demons". Plus I never watched the TV show.  

Not that Oni are not a type of demon. The first time I remembered hearing Oni was from Onimusha 2. And in that game they came off as some sort of "good guy". But the "second time" I heard of Oni was from the Jackie Chan cartoon show, and in that the Oni was more of the traditional "bad guy". 

Yeah - those are the Stone Warriors, but we’re mever explicitly referred to as demons. The first explicit callout referring to the Oni as demons came in season 8-10 of the show.

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Cool! I love the giant electric teddy bear, shame that version of the bear isn't in any of the sets. The regular-sized teddy bear that got leaked a while back doesn't really cut it, so I might MOC something like that . . 

Yeah - shame a lot of the really inventive and unique ghosts are digital only and all the ghosts figures we really get are possessed versions of physical things - I guess that sorta makes sense (ghosts don’t have form, the possessed people are the physical toys to play with) but still seems like a missed opportunity with some really fun and cool designs.

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Here's a Wikipedia link for those who want to read more about Oni as they appear in real-world mythology and folklore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni

But obviously, "demon" is a loose translation in that case, and not meant to insinuate that they are analogous to the Western definition of demons.

All in all, while there's some definite spookiness in this theme, I'm kind of surprised how many extreme reactions I've seen to the scariness and/or maturity level. In terms of aesthetics and tone, it reminds me largely of the Luigi's Mansion games, which are rated E (all ages) in the United States and PEGI 7 (ages 7+) in the UK.

7 hours ago, legozebra said:

I know we really won’t get any “ghost” figures, but I NEED that jazz player with a new trumpet mold. PLEASE LEGO.

Isn't it a bit weird that the we are getting the dog in physical form - when it's clearly a ghost as well?

I thought it's because it has bedsheet on it?

They released the trailer. And It looks great besides THERE IS NO LEGO BRICKS in it. Even the bear ghost looks not Lego...
I never like when they do this... It's like they have HIDE fact its a TOY

Edited by Lordofdragonss

On 7/19/2019 at 7:41 PM, legozebra said:

Tommy Andreasen, the guy behind this and Ninjago story-wise, has posted some teasers for tomorrow's SDCC panel, calling this "the scariest and most intense content I and LEGO have ever produced"

Sounds exciting!

For the love of God the stupidest thing I read all day. Obviously he missed the first Lego Vampire who's alt head was drooling blood from his mouth or the whole Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom set. Or the uncut version of the Studios Monsters short film which really was scary, reminded me of the older Gumby cartoons.

There is nothing serious about these sets to make them remotely scary. They're just as playful and comical as the sly and ornery Lord Vampire from MF or the comics in the original Studios monsters and MF lines.

Keep in mind that guy's job is related to the TV show side of LEGO and not the set side. Obviously the sets themselves aren't going to inspire terror or anything, but the examples you gave didn't get any accompanying, LEGO-licensed cartoon or anything, and the show could easily get 7-year-olds afraid (the actual target demographic for this stuff).

I'm looking at the leaked CMF knight and he looks like he has a ghost face. Might be useful for Hidden Side customisation? I've been working on a custom Hidden Side museum that fits the ghost theme, so it could definitely have a place there.

Dude everything in this town is haunted. Just leave the place already :laugh:

21 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

For the love of God the stupidest thing I read all day. Obviously he missed the first Lego Vampire who's alt head was drooling blood from his mouth or the whole Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom set. Or the uncut version of the Studios Monsters short film which really was scary, reminded me of the older Gumby cartoons.

Different things scare different people. Blood or not, the first vampire minifigure had a goofy grin and cartoonish pointy hair, hardly the kind of stuff likely to spook kids quite quite like ghosts with melty faces, moaning expressions and powerful claws that could be lurking anywhere and can possess anything. I doubt I'm the only kid of my generation who had nightmares from seeing even just a brief snippet of the Gooey Gus episode of "GhostWriter", a children's show that was otherwise fairly mundane.

Context is also important. A tiny dribble of blood is hardly as scary as blood as huge pools of blood or smeared bloody handprints would be. Some people have a phobia of blood in general, but that's far from universal. What's more, the main accompanying media for those Studios sets were silly comics and that short film (which I'd honestly never seen, but hardly seems that scary watching it now).

And I hardly see what's scary about the Temple of Doom set. The scene in the actual MOVIE was very frightening, but the set is basically a wacky, exciting chase scene with some mildly spooky-looking bad guys and some traps that are hardly unlike what you'd see in 90s Castle sets. The elements that actually made the movie scenes scary, point-of-view shots showing a perilous drop, or the gory scene of a man's heart being pulled out of his body, were absent from the miniaturized playset version.

With more extensive animated media like cartoons or video games it's much easier to create a sense of terror, suspense, and foreboding just in terms of cinematography, dramatic timing, and sound design. There's a reason that a lot of horror movie enthusiasts and filmmakers believe the most terrifying movies are the ones that show very little clear footage of the actual "monster" and instead lett your mind fill in the blanks. Often, we can imagine or visualize far greater horrors than any designer could create by showing us animated footage of even the most vicious-looking monster.

Since Tommy works a lot on the media aspect of LEGO themes, not just on the character designs for the sets themselves, it's fair to say that the tweet in question might be heavily informed by what media/storytelling elements we still have yet to see (beyond the snippets of gameplay and animation we've been shown so far). I'm sure any scares in store are still going to be tempered by it being a brand primarily directed at kids — it's hardly going to be stuff AFOLs like us would have nightmares about or that would leave us jumpy for hours afterward.

But as you point out, with how tame LEGO's approach to horror in general has been up to this point, it's hardly far-fetched that they might have some more serious scares in store for this theme… I can very easily imagine the kinds of possessed objects and interactive gameplay formats in the Hidden Side theme resulting in experiences similar to the "Mad Piano" jumpscare from Super Mario 64 that was so terrifying to me as a kid!