Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:
On 7/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Personally, I'd really like for the theme to open itself up to further "spooky" antagonists beyond just ghosts; but, that'd unfortunately just defeat the whole point of its AR-based gimmick that it revolves around. :def_shrug:

No, not necessarily. Let's say the second year monsters are ghouls. Maybe they can include the ghouls in the sets and using the app the ghouls can suffer transformations or just scary animations. There can be like 5 or 6 different animations for each ghoul which would appear randomly so it's not always the same

Well, my hopes were for the theme to eventually move on to more tangible antagonists such as cryptozoological creatures or Lovecraftian monsters, but tangible antagonists just aren't  what this theme's built around. :sceptic:

5 hours ago, toothdominoes said:

Quite happy to see people excited about this theme, it was quite the journey to get where we are today. Not long now until the release! I am really looking forward to seeing what people think when they get their hands on the sets. My favorite thing about this theme is that it allowed us to do some contemporary sets that we would normally not get to do in other themes.

On another note, before people get too excited and start using the word "guaranteed", in regards to a second year. Nothing is ever really guaranteed until it's on the market. So I'd recommend staying cautiously optimistic to avoid disappointments. We have a lot of stuff ready for the future, but last minute changes of plans have and will happen.

Regarding that last part, I always love learning about what never came to be or what never could be. Particularly, back in 2017, @Nabii gave some interesting insight into the Steampunk genre's performance in concept testing for future themes, which was unfortunately quite poor according to him. While I woefully lament that's the case, it's at least a piece of mind for myself, and one of my most valued pieces of insight I've gained from being here at Eurobricks! :classic:

On 6/19/2017 at 7:11 AM, Nabii said:

Concepts and new themes at LEGO are not created by marketing, they are created by Designers. We draw and build and test extensively, and you are right, hybrid concepts often fail, (for example so far steampunk performs terribly). But NEXO Knights outperformed all other concepts including tradition Space and Castle ideas. Marketing people are involved from very early on only to help figure out ways to communicate the themes, and sometimes to figure out ways to explain new play types, like the shield scanning in Nexo Knights.

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

No, not necessarily. Let's say the second year monsters are ghouls. Maybe they can include the ghouls in the sets and using the app the ghouls can suffer transformations or just scary animations. There can be like 5 or 6 different animations for each ghoul which would appear randomly so it's not always the same

Honestly I think even just sticking to ghosts has the potential for some great variety. After all, even the possessed townsfolk we have so far have features ranging from just crazy hair to extra arms to wings to tentacles. I could also see antagonistic humans added to the mix, such as perhaps a villainous scientist who allies with the ghosts against the ghost hunters (a la Danny Phantom's main antagonist Vlad Plasmius). And outside the realm of minifigures, there's plenty of potential as well—as an example using the fairground idea, it's not hard to imagine a ride sort of like the fairground mixer that turns into a giant spider, for instance.

I'd worry that expanding beyond ghosts could make the theme lose its focus a bit. That said, I'd have to see. As a fan of "Trollhunters" on Netflix I was a bit skeptical when that show branched off from fantasy to sci-fi with the alien-focused spinoff "3-Below", but having just finished the final season of that it significantly surpassed my expectations.

So based on the set list that leaked on instagram we apparently getting atleast 10 more sets.If true this is really exciting news,not to mention this shows Lego's confidence that HS will sell well.

Edited by LOTR34

18 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

So there's a possibility that we might get two waves next year?

Ye.

44 minutes ago, dimaks13 said:

There could be some sets missing from the list, so not necessarily four.

More than ten sets in a year?!  

If that's the case Lego really is confident about this.

Btw when do you guys think the app will be available?

18 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

I'd assume August 1st, or whenever the streetdate for the sets is. I can't remember the exact date though.

Wow it’s great to see a new Lego theme with the longevity to last more than a single wave, I hope Lego’s confidence in this theme isn’t misjudged and we have full access to all these planned sets (unlike Ultra Agents ?). I’d be happy to see this theme return year after year proving spooky sets with the ramshackle buildings.

4 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

More than ten sets in a year?!  

If that's the case Lego really is confident about this.

10 in a year doesn't surprise me for Hidden Side.

Nexo Knights had 18 boxed sets in it's first year (excluding Polybags and Ultimate sets, which would make it 32), and right now this seems to be somewhat the replacement for that (interactive action theme with a phone app).

2019 was a Lego Movie 2 year, and 2020 I don't see any other big non-licensed theme yet beside Hidden Side.

Besides that, this theme has also a lot of versatility with City or Creator sets in a Town/City setup, as each set and it's figures could easily be built without the spooky features so could appeal to a wide audience even outside the app.

I do hope they still will have mostly location sets in 2020 as well, sets like the Diner, Graveyard, School and Lab have little to no vehicles which isn't always a bad thing.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

10 in a year doesn't surprise me for Hidden Side.

Nexo Knights had 18 boxed sets in it's first year (excluding Polybags and Ultimate sets, which would make it 32), and right now this seems to be somewhat the replacement for that (interactive action theme with a phone app).

2019 was a Lego Movie 2 year, and 2020 I don't see any other big non-licensed theme yet beside Hidden Side.

Besides that, this theme has also a lot of versatility with City or Creator sets in a Town/City setup, as each set and it's figures could easily be built without the spooky features so could appeal to a wide audience even outside the app.

I do hope they still will have mostly location sets in 2020 as well, sets like the Diner, Graveyard, School and Lab have little to no vehicles which isn't always a bad thing.

The app is actually probably a big part of the reason for so many location-based sets. From the looks of it, the sets seem designed to isolate and secure a main "subject" that features the "markers" for the app to recognize occupying the same space in relation to one another. For vehicle sets like El Fuego's truck, or the bus, this means that the smaller builds (the bike/outhouse) seem like they don't feature markers recognized by the app at all, since they can't be secured to the main build. For others, like the shrimp boat or train, the location sections seem designed to secure the vehicles in a fixed location (on the rocks/clipped to the bumper on the tracks, which in turn is secured to the station).

In general, these constraints seem to favor vehicles that are either large and bulky as the main focus of a set, or very small side-builds like the one in the diner. Locations generally seem to work a lot more easily as the focus of a set thanks to being able to have a fixed floor plan with all components anchored in place.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind more haunted vehicles in addition to locations!

If TLG is going big with Hidden Side as it seems, then I bet the theme will get the spolight at the NY Comic Con later this year, like Nexo Knights did back in the day

I know 5 and 5 sounds more reasonable but I don't think a vendor site would have the June sets listed so early. I mean, what would be the point? And why would TLG send them so early?

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

If TLG is going big with Hidden Side as it seems, then I bet the theme will get the spolight at the NY Comic Con later this year, like Nexo Knights did back in the day

I know 5 and 5 sounds more reasonable but I don't think a vendor site would have the June sets listed so early. I mean, what would be the point? And why would TLG send them so early?

Well we already have a list for the upcoming HP wave and I doubt those sets will drop during the 1HY.

For HD I assume the small and average sets will be the focus of the winter wave and the summer wave will probably be all about the big sets.

Edited by LOTR34

10 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Well we already have a list for the upcoming HP wave and I doubt those sets will drop during the 1HY.

Well it would not be very surprising if HP get a additional wave in winter since the theme is doing so well, I have more doubts to hidden side getting 10 sets in one wave :def_shrug: 1 wave in January and 1 wave in May-June seems odd as well :wacko: On the other hand both is possible I guess :shrug_oh_well:

15 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Well it would not be very surprising if HP get a additional wave in winter since the theme is doing so well, I have more doubts to hidden side getting 10 sets in one wave :def_shrug: 1 wave in January and 1 wave in May-June seems odd as well :wacko: On the other hand both is possible I guess :shrug_oh_well:

I wouldn't call it odd since most action themes usually have this kind of release schedule.

22 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

I wouldn't call it odd since most action themes usually have this kind of release schedule.

OK, I do not follow most of the actions themes closely :blush: If that is correct then HS could have 2 waves in in the first half and it is a lot less more unlikely that the HP is from the second half of the year since the rest of the sets leaking is from the first half?! :wink:

46 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

OK, I do not follow most of the actions themes closely :blush: If that is correct then HS could have 2 waves in in the first half and it is a lot less more unlikely that the HP is from the second half of the year since the rest of the sets leaking is from the first half?! :wink:

As much as I would love a winter wave for HP,I have a hard time seeing it happen.Since both of the waves we've got untill now released during summer time.

27 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Firts Hidden Side reviews are up by promobricks

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-hidden-side-70424-geisterzug-express-review/83905

Jesus that "Bawa" is totally a demon, not a ghost, and it looks scary as heck

That has to be one of the most scariest things TLG has ever released 

Can someone who speaks, um, German? Give me a TL:DR on that review?

One thing I'm partilarly interested in; does the train look like it's made to accomodate Power Functions?

Also, Demons aren't new territory for Lego. Putting aside the villain factions of the first two years of Nexo Knights, remember the Ghostbusters 2016 set? Ecto-1 & 2? I'm pretty sure the ghost included there was directly referred to as a demon. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, 

Speaking of which, can I just say that Hidden Side and Ghostbusters mesh remarkably well? I'm certainly going to use that demon, for one thing, to decorate one of the Hidden Side sets with a real ghost (alongside the Ninjago ghosts, Flama variants from NK and a couple of others I've picked up, including a rather amusing custom I made with the poorly printed Mercy face from Overwatch). 

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Can someone who speaks, um, German? Give me a TL:DR on that review?

One thing I'm partilarly interested in; does the train look like it's made to accomodate Power Functions?

Also, Demons aren't new territory for Lego. Putting aside the villain factions of the first two years of Nexo Knights, remember the Ghostbusters 2016 set? Ecto-1 & 2? I'm pretty sure the ghost included there was directly referred to as a demon. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, 

Speaking of which, can I just say that Hidden Side and Ghostbusters mesh remarkably well? I'm certainly going to use that demon, for one thing, to decorate one of the Hidden Side sets with a real ghost (alongside the Ninjago ghosts, Flama variants from NK and a couple of others I've picked up, including a rather amusing custom I made with the poorly printed Mercy face from Overwatch). 

They also pair fairly well with the ghost faction of Ninjago’s “Possession” wave, the parts from which I hope might give me a head start if I want to put together any Hidden Side MOCs.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, my hopes were for the theme to eventually move on to more tangible antagonists such as cryptozoological creatures or Lovecraftian monsters, but tangible antagonists just aren't  what this theme's built around. :sceptic:

I think it's possible for us to see kind of more lovecraftian type creatures if they end up going the route of the ghosts possessing more than just people. We already know that the town is off the coast of some large body of water, so what if we were to see possessed marine life? We could have squids growing in size and becoming large writhing masses of tentacles and evil, fish that resemble deep ones, etc. We already know that possession can result in additional limbs, like we've seen with the chef and sailor minifigures, and the chef specifically has a bit of a lovecraftian feel already with those tentacles. I dunno, I don't think we'll really get there but it's certainly possible.