Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

Just now, ShadowWolfHount said:

Other than Swamp Monster, I can see lots of people would love to see a full wave having zombies.

Technically this theme's possessed citizens come pretty close to Zombies, though I suppose they could follow the Zombie idea a little closer by having ghosts (rather than a virus) possess dead and buried individuals instead.

Honestly I don't see why the theme would have to move past ghosts. Ghosts fit best with the "invisible enemy" gameplay of the app, and in terms of figs the possessed minifigs show a lot of variety (with the potential to represent lots of types of "citizens" and ghostly accessories that already include wings and tentacles and could potentially expand even further to offer even greater variety).

In terms of future sets, I could see the flagship set of a future wave being something like a haunted hotel or fairground (the latter of which could feature all sorts of interesting figs).

It seems this theme is about possesions, so ghost (or demons) are the most obvious choice

Zombies might work as possesed corpses

But for other monsters.... hmmm I dont know. You dont become a swamp creature or a headless horseman just for being possesed

The possesed citizens are growing tentacles and such so they are actually mutating thanks to the possesion, which is very interesting

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems this theme is about possesions, so ghost (or demons) are the most obvious choice

Zombies might work as possesed corpses

That reminds me of something! If Lego's smart, they could just reuse that corpse shark mold from the Silent Mary in a boat set for this theme!

Make some parts of it grey, some trans-neon and you have yourself a great monster :wink:

Yeah possesed animals could interesting

Especially if they mutate as the humans

It is show from the sets that ghost can also possess other living things (trees from the graveyard) and inanimate objects (6 out of 8 of the sets). Though I would feel like it be really cheap if they do Haunted Studio, even if we also get other possess Studio related stuff like a werewolf, knights, possess mechsuit prop and so on.

Also I would love to see that shark corpse being reused, having one of the sets or wave taking place in a zoo/aquatic zoo, or have a big set big possessed cruise ship.

1 hour ago, ShadowWolfHount said:

Also I would love to see that shark corpse being reused, having one of the sets or wave taking place in a zoo/aquatic zoo, or have a big set big possessed cruise ship.

Same here! That's an amazing mold that could be perfect for this theme, it would be a shame if it was only for the Silent Mary

For me, it's all in the name, as I feel this theme could have its protagonists further investigate other aspects of this "Hidden Side" and/or other "Hidden" things. More preferably, I suppose I'd just like to see this theme evolve into something more akin to Scooby-Doo, with a much broader-arching focus on paranormal investigation overall.

43 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Does anyone know when these are set for release? 

Late summer, so likely August.

I love some of the new moulds, such as the new hats for the Humans but I hate the fact that it’s a ghost theme. I want more gimmick sets like Ninjago, Next Knights and Chima, especially if they come with collector cards!

On 5/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, J4ck said:

I love some of the new moulds, such as the new hats for the Humans but I hate the fact that it’s a ghost theme. I want more gimmick sets like Ninjago, Next Knights and Chima, especially if they come with collector cards!

"possessed humans and transforming buildings" could get pretty weird if the theme is popular enough to last a couple years. it's not quite as crazy as "ninjas versus ghosts" or "child-friendly warhammer" but it might get weirder in future waves.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, J4ck said:

I want more gimmick sets like Ninjago, Next Knights and Chima, especially if they come with collector cards!

I like the "gimmick" of the theme, being a supplement to City , and the monster-people and transformation features being "optional". Speaking strictly about the sets and not the app.

So even if you leave out the ghost-theme, you still see construction people, bikers, school teachers, restaurant workers in maybe a not-so clean and bright looking part of a City/Village.

If the theme keeps focusing on locations we might not see as much in City like schools and restaurants being seen more often in Friends these days, I'm all for the theme to continue.

Plenty of locations could be "haunted" in future sets, almost like a in-house Scooby-Doo. I would love to see a haunted barn/farm (new pumpkin piece), lighthouse, clock tower, dockside or cinema or something.

Edited by TeriXeri

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Plenty of locations could be "haunted" in future sets, almost like a in-house Scooby-Doo. I would love to see a haunted barn/farm (new pumpkin piece), lighthouse, clock tower, dockside or cinema or something.

This is honestly exactly what I want this theme to be. So far everything is pointing to that being the direction they're taking it, and my god I'd love to have a display that's just all haunted locations to display my many horror minifigs in.

1 hour ago, shadefoundry said:

This is honestly exactly what I want this theme to be. So far everything is pointing to that being the direction they're taking it, and my god I'd love to have a display that's just all haunted locations to display my many horror minifigs in.

Best part is that the figures and locations also have "normal" versions for a City layout. 

And I like the fact that the Truck/Train/Bus/Boat vehicle sets are sold seperate from the Diner/Graveyard/School/Lab location sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

36 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

And I like the fact that the Truck/Train/Bus/Boat vehicle sets are sold seperate from the Diner/Graveyard/School/Lab location sets.

This is a huge thing for me. The fact that I can completely avoid a vehicle if I want to while still being able to get a well-detailed location is fantastic.

51 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

This is a huge thing for me. The fact that I can completely avoid a vehicle if I want to while still being able to get a well-detailed location is fantastic.

Wow. I hadn't thought about that before, but that is really great. Most city waves I find myself thinking, "I kinda like some of this scenery but I don't need 15 helicopters and 30 more cars." With Hidden Side I'll be able to only buy the vehicles i really want.

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Best part is that the figures and locations also have "normal" versions for a City layout. 

Not entirely. If memory serves, the Diner set does include a small car with a big anti-ghost cannon. But other than that and the train station with the train, you're right. 

I'm most interested in the High School (if only to repurpose it into an Avengers Mansion), Diner and Graveyard. Though as far as I can tell, the janitor/stuntman who is the fourth main hero is exclusive to the Banana Truck, so for the sake of character completionism I might get that one too. And the Train does look nice . .

While the artwork is special, it doesn't really appear like "LEGO set" if it's on a shelf with that side on front.

Just thinking of random people here who walk by it in a shop, not people who do their research on sets.

Not a complaint, just observation :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by TeriXeri

I find the box art rather odd....

The pics on the front looks like something you would find in a promotional artwork, not a normal pic of the set

Edited by Robert8

Holy Bricking Hell, is anyone here yet aware that Jack's hood & ballcap headgear is fused to his head?!!! :thumbdown: :distressed:

EditShoot, never mind me, I just realized the "leaked" head and headgear pairing I saw has a flesh-tone head, hence disproving that "fusion" of the two I reacted to so rashly. :facepalm:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

While the artwork is special, it doesn't really appear like "LEGO set" if it's on a shelf with that side on front.

Just thinking of random people here who walk by it in a shop, not people who do their research on sets.

Not a complaint, just observation :shrug_oh_well:

I imagine that's by design. While these sets look perfectly fine even without the app game, the app game remains a strong selling point for them. As such, Lego probably wants to make clear that these are more than just your average Lego set by using bold, exciting boxart. Something that makes people do a double-take when they see it in the Lego aisle.

That said, the Lego logo in the upper right (instead of the upper left by the theme name) is a curious choice. That sort of thing used to be done with older Bionicle sets, but is rare to see in a modern theme.

EDIT: Thanks to the high quality, finalized box images, we also can see more of the character names!

Jack (ghost-hunting boy)
Parker (ghost-hunting girl)
Spencer (ghost dog)
J.B. (scientist)
Mr. Nygh(?)/El Fuego (janitor?)
Jonas Jr. (fisherman)
Captain Jonas (fisherman)
Mr. Branson (gravedigger)
Paola (schoolgirl)
Wade (schoolboy)
Mr. Clarke (teacher)
Rose Davids(?) (teacher)
Chuck (train engineer)
Ms. Santos (station master?)
Dwayne (biker)
Joey (biker)

Interestingly, Rose (whose last name is a little hard to make out) is one of the few characters who is referred to by both first and last name. That, combined with her being front and center on the school set's boxart, makes me think she may be a key character, maybe even an antagonist. Could she be the little girl from the portrait with the bear in the school set, grown up and possibly conspiring with the ghosts?

Edited by Lyichir