Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

6 minutes ago, pombe said:

I'm glad that TLG is pushing how their bricks and technology can mesh better to expand the LEGO experience for children.  However, I do hope they keep MOCers in mind and in the future allow MOCs to be integrated into their AR apps.  How?  I don't know.  But I do hope they keep working at it.

It will definitely be a neat thing for them to explore, though I think it will take them a lot longer to develop something like that since introducing that level of freedom to the player can make it a little trickier to ensure a digital experience that can account for anything the builder does and convert it into a quality play experience.

Most of the LEGO Fusion apps and sets were designed with more creative and open-ended styles of play in mind, but besides the fact that the apps could only recognize the parts that came with the sets themselves, the actual digital gaming component was generally regarded as mediocre, to the point that one of the LEGO Fusion products (Create and Race) was pulled from shelves and the app store since it did not meet the standards of quality that LEGO aspires to. Furthermore, the sets were so basic that the types of models the game could read had no play value of their own outside of the digital game component.

And for that matter, look at how long it took LEGO to create a game like LEGO Worlds that delivers anything close to really compelling sandbox-style creative gameplay, even without any form of integration with their physical products. Trying to create a combined physical+digital play experience that can ensure the same quality of gameplay AND the same degree of creative freedom may be even harder.

I will be buying all 8 sets and can I say that ghost dog will be a ok substitute for zero from nightmare before christmas

I wonder will there a big bad main ghost in the theme that is responsible for all the hauntings in town

1 hour ago, TheGlynreaper said:

I wonder if there will be a big bad/main ghost in the theme who is responsible for all the hauntings in town?

Fixed that for you. 

I hope so, it kind of sucks if all the villains are just random ghosts. The most memorable and unique ghost thst I've seen in the line thus far is the chef from the diner. But I highly doubt the main villain is a chef. 

5 hours ago, pombe said:

I'm glad that TLG is pushing how their bricks and technology can mesh better to expand the LEGO experience for children.  However, I do hope they keep MOCers in mind and in the future allow MOCs to be integrated into their AR apps.  How?  I don't know.  But I do hope they keep working at it.

As they said at Toy Fair, they'd love to do that, but the technology isn't there yet—the kind of integration these sets offer so far relies pretty heavily on having enough pre-programmed forms and markers for the app to recognize and identify. I'm hoping that if this theme lasts multiple years they might be able to continue to work in that direction—if not to the point of allowing for MOCs, then perhaps at least programming in alternate or combo builds of sets that can be recognized just like the base model.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

As they said at Toy Fair, they'd love to do that, but the technology isn't there yet—the kind of integration these sets offer so far relies pretty heavily on having enough pre-programmed forms and markers for the app to recognize and identify. I'm hoping that if this theme lasts multiple years they might be able to continue to work in that direction—if not to the point of allowing for MOCs, then perhaps at least programming in alternate or combo builds of sets that can be recognized just like the base model.

Oh, yes! Combo builds would be an awesome thing to see, both in general, and from this theme specifically. 

I wish Lego would do more combo builds. 

Hmmm I hope there wont be a big bad here... it would be very Monstrox-ish and that didnt work

The premise of a haunted/cursed town is more interesting

16 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Hmmm I hope there wont be a big bad here... it would be very Monstrox-ish and that didnt work

The premise of a haunted/cursed town is more interesting

I wouldn't mind if it was some eldritch artifact behind all the supernatural happenings.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:27 AM, Karateduo1 said:

I wouldn't mind if it was some eldritch artifact behind all the supernatural happenings.

That would be pretty darn cool and quite interesting too! I would be game for that!

I'm not sure we need some fundamental explanation for the spooky town - if and when such a thing is revealed, that's it. You can't string the theme along unless you come up with a new big bad, and I do hope this theme sticks around.

Not all themes do need a big story or multiple, via a TV show , books, or magazines.

Ninjago, Chima, Nexo Knights clearly were good vs bad guys, while Hidden Side seems more mysterious, and not a direct faction vs faction type theme.

As others have stated, the lack of ghosts suck, but I'm pretty smitten with all the designs, especially the High School. I love it's gothic peaks and interior's got some fun concepts going on. The fact it transforms into a possessed building is also really cool, and something I don't think Lego's done before. The Boat and the Diner are both kits that I'll be gunning for: I've been working on a seaside train layout, and the parts are perfect for the buildings I'm working on! Lovely stuff, all around, I cannot wait to see these hit store shelves! :thumbup:

On 3/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, Aanchir said:

Another thing I wonder is this:  if the app is programmed to recognize the general shape and/or colors of the set in order to activate, would it be possible to recreate the set out of your own bricks if you had the right ones rather than purchasing the actual set?  Disclaimer:  Not trying to create a discussion on ethics, but assuming you had access to the instructions, and you had enough of the key parts in your collection, could it be possible to activate the app feature

The Bricks will probably have some sort of code on them so the app can recognise that they are authentic, similar to LEGO Fusion and LEGO Dimensions. 

I personally feel very skeptical about this game, as I don't want this theme to ran into the disaster that LEGO Fusion did, when they first tried incorporating LEGO in a game. But at least, the sets look attracting enough for those who don't care about the game.

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

The Bricks will probably have some sort of code on them so the app can recognise that they are authentic, similar to LEGO Fusion and LEGO Dimensions. 

I personally feel very skeptical about this game, as I don't want this theme to ran into the disaster that LEGO Fusion did, when they first tried incorporating LEGO in a game. But at least, the sets look attracting enough for those who don't care about the game.

The bricks don't have any sort of code—they're ordinary bricks. It looks like the app recognizes the model through both its general silhouette and color scheme as well as more brightly colored bricks as "markers" that change modes in the app or let the app recognize hidden features. That said, I don't really see any sort of ethical issue, any more than I would with putting together a regular set from parts instead of buying the set itself. If you're willing to go through the trouble, more power to you—but in general buying a set itself is easier and cheaper than having to order the parts (some of which might be rare or exclusive to a given set) individually.

Personally I see this a lot differently from Lego Fusion, which generally blended a sub-par "game" with a sub-par building experience—so pretty much the worst of both worlds. This, on the other hand, seems to offer a game that looks at least as interesting as many of Lego's other promotional app games, and sets that don't seem to have their aesthetics, functionality, or complexity compromised for the sake of the augmented reality game.

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The bricks don't have any sort of code—they're ordinary bricks. It looks like the app recognizes the model through both its general silhouette and color scheme as well as more brightly colored bricks as "markers" that change modes in the app or let the app recognize hidden features. That said, I don't really see any sort of ethical issue, any more than I would with putting together a regular set from parts instead of buying the set itself. If you're willing to go through the trouble, more power to you—but in general buying a set itself is easier and cheaper than having to order the parts (some of which might be rare or exclusive to a given set) individually.

I'd also like to add as an aside to this that it looks like the app will partially rely on the new Bright Light Coral colour, which . . given it's appeared in exactly one non-HS set so far . . . yeah, good luck. 

Say, does anyone here figure this theme could potentially explore other "spooky" tropes in possible future waves, outside of ghosts that is? :shrug_confused:

32 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Say, does anyone here figure this theme could potentially explore other "spooky" tropes in possible future waves, outside of ghosts that is? :shrug_confused:

I certainly hope so!

It would be a serious waste not to have some sort of 'ranch' set at some point in the future with a ghost horse and a Headless Horseman-styled 'head swap' element. Or werewolves. You can never have too many werewolves. Hopefully not more vampires, though, I got enough of those for a while with the third year of NK.

1 minute ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

It would be a serious waste not to have some sort of 'ranch' set at some point in the future with a ghost horse and a Headless Horseman-styled 'head swap' element. Or werewolves. You can never have too many werewolves. Hopefully not more vampires, though, I got enough of those for a while with the third year of NK.

Something like, say, plantlife/botanical monsters could be kinda cool to see from the theme. :shrug_oh_well:

19 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Something like, say, plantlife/botanical monsters could be kinda cool to see from the theme. :shrug_oh_well:

inspired by those unreleased Nexo Knight forest monsters would be nice 

Just now, Nexogeek said:

inspired by those unreleased Nexo Knight forest monsters would be nice 

Huh, maybe those were what I was unconsciously thinking of when I threw that out there. :shrug_oh_well:

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, maybe those were what I was unconsciously thinking of when I threw that out there. :shrug_oh_well:

Maybe :laugh: Those things would be sweet to pop up in some form in some kinda theme, at least a few are semi easy to make using official parts. 

1 hour ago, Nexogeek said:

Maybe :laugh: Those things would be sweet to pop up in some form in some kinda theme, at least a few are semi easy to make using official parts. 

Well, we do have the beginnings of that in the massive tree with eyes and arms that shows up in the Graveyard. Definitely looking forward to that, by the way. 

Oh! What're everyone's top priorities in regards to the eight sets? The Graveyard and Diner are at the top of my list, followed by the High School and the Train. Maybe also the 'Banana Truck'. Definitely passing on the Bus, though . . as tempting as the haunted Porta-Potty is. Might part that out on Bricklink. 

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Well, we do have the beginnings of that in the massive tree with eyes and arms that shows up in the Graveyard. Definitely looking forward to that, by the way. 

Oh! What're everyone's top priorities in regards to the eight sets? The Graveyard and Diner are at the top of my list, followed by the High School and the Train. Maybe also the 'Banana Truck'. Definitely passing on the Bus, though . . as tempting as the haunted Porta-Potty is. Might part that out on Bricklink. 

For me the Diner, train, and boat are my favorites, I love the high school minus the price maybe on a decent sale the truck and bus are meh to me not my taste but maybe for the right price the bus. The lab is a neat small set not top of the list but not the bottom of it either. Does anyone think we will get a Walmart or Target exclusive yet to be seen yet? 

50 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

For me the Diner, train, and boat are my favorites, I love the high school minus the price maybe on a decent sale the truck and bus are meh to me not my taste but maybe for the right price the bus. The lab is a neat small set not top of the list but not the bottom of it either. Does anyone think we will get a Walmart or Target exclusive yet to be seen yet? 

I sure hope so. I'm noticing that the ghost tentacles piece is exclusive to the boat's mariner minifig as far as I can see, which sucks because it's a lovely-looking piece. Meanwhile the ghost wings piece appears in both the high school (two of them, even!) and the truck. So if there is is another set, hopefully we'll see a repeat of that accessory. 

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I sure hope so. I'm noticing that the ghost tentacles piece is exclusive to the boat's mariner minifig as far as I can see, which sucks because it's a lovely-looking piece. Meanwhile the ghost wings piece appears in both the high school (two of them, even!) and the truck. So if there is is another set, hopefully we'll see a repeat of that accessory. 

I hope, I love the boat and the ghost tentacles look amazing but to be just in that set and possibly non other would stinks. I hope they have that piece on bricks and pieces when the set comes out 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I was thinking of that. In fact, I think they may do a swamp monster at some point, do to the LEGO Movie 2 CMF picking Swamp Creature first (assuming if we're gonna see a 2nd series) to be part of the collection out of all the other characters from the Movie. Other than Swamp Monster, I can see lots of people would love to see a full wave having zombies.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:59 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Yeah that Bus is a big hard pass for me, the design is just bad, thought I am getting those minifigures on bricklink for sure. With my top of the list to get of this theme, are for sure the High School, Diner and Graveyard.