Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

22 hours ago, x105Black said:

I'm curious to see how popular these Hidden Side sets will be.  I have a feeling that they will appeal greatly to those City builders that also enjoy something a little different, like Marvel and DC sets.

Definitely. I have my eyes on the graveyard set to go with the Haunted House. The Diner will be fun too(but looks to be better suited to go with Welcome to Apocalypseburg). Of course the school will be a huge hit. 

I really love these sets but I think it be to repetitive to state that. :P

One thing that I love that I haven’t seen anyone else mentioned is Parker’s design.  :grin_wub: It’s this beautiful in between of “masculine” and “feminine”. I don’t want to get into a sexuality debate but I’m really impressed with LEGO going against the social norm with this character and that’s coming from someone who loves mini-dolls. :)

Hey, I was looking back over the pictures and noticed something; the red, yellow and blue colour wheel parts in all the sets aren't actually red yellow and blue. The blue is the same light blue that they use for water in Friends/Elves themes (I forget the name), and the read, excitingly, seems to actually be Vibrant Coral. Given that so far, that colour is exclusively in the Pop-Up Party Bus, if I'm right this is very good news. 

17 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

I really love these sets but I think it be to repetitive to state that. :P

One thing that I love that I haven’t seen anyone else mentioned is Parker’s design.  

Same. The main characters look great. I just wish there would be a one or two more main character.

I hope there will more characters in upcoming waves. Maybe like an goth guy/girl or a geek guy/girl, similar to the Phantom Halls gang

Related imageImage result for phantom halls

Edited by Robert8

6 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Hey, I was looking back over the pictures and noticed something; the red, yellow and blue colour wheel parts in all the sets aren't actually red yellow and blue. The blue is the same light blue that they use for water in Friends/Elves themes (I forget the name), and the read, excitingly, seems to actually be Vibrant Coral. Given that so far, that colour is exclusively in the Pop-Up Party Bus, if I'm right this is very good news. 

Yeah, it's definitely Vibrant Coral. It actually makes me wonder if this theme is what Vibrant Coral was introduced for—its vibrant and distinct color probably makes it an effective "marker" for the app to be able to detect on a variety of different background colors (like the Dark Red of the high school), possibly moreso than traditional reds, oranges, or pinks.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Same. The main characters look great. I just wish there would be a one or two more main character.

I hope there will more characters in upcoming waves. Maybe like an goth guy/girl or a geek guy/girl, similar to the Phantom Halls gang

More main characters would be neat, and could definitely be added over time, though I also feel like storywise a focus on a smaller cast of main characters wouldn't be the worst thing for the theme. They could easily vary things up even with the same main characters by giving them different outfits in future sets or waves.

7 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

The blue is the same light blue that they use for water in Friends/Elves themes (I forget the name), and the read, excitingly, seems to actually be Vibrant Coral.

That shade of blue I'm pretty sure is Dark Azur, a color I am quite excited to see used so prominently within this theme, as I usually am whenever they do utilize it. :moar:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

That shade of blue I'm pretty sure is Dark Azur, a color I am quite excited to see used so prominently within this theme, as I usually am whenever they do utilize it. :moar:

Same here! Dark Azur is a favorite color, oh man how I wish we'd get a space theme that uses it again Alien Conquest is what made me fall in love with the color. 

Just now, Nexogeek said:

Same here! Dark Azur is a favorite color, oh man how I wish we'd get a space theme that uses it again Alien Conquest is what made me fall in love with the color

Alien Conquest's ADU troopers were what introduced me to the color, and which also made me wish that were the same shade of blue they used for their vehicles too.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Alien Conquest's ADU troopers were what introduced me to the color, and which also made me wish that were the same shade of blue they used for their vehicles too.

Same here, if they carried that shade into the vehicles it would of looked even better. ADU troopers are some of my favorite figures because of the color used (plus memories) 

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You mean the blue on the markers/dials in the sets? I think that's Medium Azur, not Dark Azur. Dark Azur does seem to be used for a lot of the ghost-fighting vehicles and weapons, though.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

You mean the blue on the markers/dials in the sets? I think that's Medium Azur, not Dark Azur. Dark Azur does seem to be used for a lot of the ghost-fighting vehicles and weapons, though.

I agree, pretty sure it's Medium Azure.

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Oops, yeah, I was rather referring to the possible Dark Azure used on the protagonists' vehicles and weaponry, as I initially read @Feng-huang0296's comment out of context. :facepalm:

Looking forward to using these sets with my Haunted Mansion and Scooby Doo sets.....time for a Halloween village to go with my winter village

Just now, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

I don't know about you guys but is that Jack using TLNM Kai's face?

I've seen pictures where he pretty clearly isn't, so I doubt it. They probably haven't finalised the mining designs quite yet . . that said I will be surprised and disappointed if Jack, Parker and JB (and hopefully also the as-yet-unnamed janitor) don't have new and unique face designs.

EDIT: As I suspected, if you look at the images here you can see that Jack does have a face that, as far as I can tell, is new. Don't know where Kai cosplaying as Jack came from.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BudL8rcgthl/

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

I've seen pictures where he pretty clearly isn't, so I doubt it. They probably haven't finalised the mining designs quite yet . . that said I will be surprised and disappointed if Jack, Parker and JB (and hopefully also the as-yet-unnamed janitor) don't have new and unique face designs.

Yeah, that would be disappointing indeed as I do also remember seeing him with a different face.

Just now, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Yeah, that would be disappointing indeed as I do also remember seeing him with a different face.

See my above post.

20 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Those all look fantastic to me, is that a ghost puppy with trans clear legs? 

I don't think those are meant to be legs so much as the trailing edge of a "sheet".

Very interesting theme.  We may try a couple of sets when it releases to see what it is like.  I have a feeling Lego is testing out the interactive app on this theme to see if it will ultimately transfer to other themes.  With this being unlicensed, there is less risk here.  At the very least, you have some interesting playsets.  It would appear nowadays that the biggest competition Lego and most other toys has is video games and apps.  Trying to incorporate that into this line of toys might help draw the attention of some kids that have been exclusively into digital related media.  If this proves to be successful, I can easily see something being done with the licensed themes as well.  Imagine if a new Star Wars Cantina set came out, and the app made it come to life in some type of interactive game.  You could have all of the creatures present from the movie and create tons of interesting situations.  I would likely pay some good money for that.  

Another thing I wonder is this:  if the app is programmed to recognize the general shape and/or colors of the set in order to activate, would it be possible to recreate the set out of your own bricks if you had the right ones rather than purchasing the actual set?  Disclaimer:  Not trying to create a discussion on ethics, but assuming you had access to the instructions, and you had enough of the key parts in your collection, could it be possible to activate the app feature?

On 3/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Very interesting theme.  We may try a couple of sets when it releases to see what it is like.  I have a feeling Lego is testing out the interactive app on this theme to see if it will ultimately transfer to other themes.  With this being unlicensed, there is less risk here.  At the very least, you have some interesting playsets.  It would appear nowadays that the biggest competition Lego and most other toys has is video games and apps.  Trying to incorporate that into this line of toys might help draw the attention of some kids that have been exclusively into digital related media.  If this proves to be successful, I can easily see something being done with the licensed themes as well.  Imagine if a new Star Wars Cantina set came out, and the app made it come to life in some type of interactive game.  You could have all of the creatures present from the movie and create tons of interesting situations.  I would likely pay some good money for that. 

Worth noting that LEGO has already previously dabbled in AR-based play experiences using existing themes in their AR Playgrounds app. So what's really new and groundbreaking about Hidden Side isn't the idea of using AR technology together with LEGO, but rather a LEGO theme being specifically designed with both traditional physical play experiences and combined physical+digital play experiences in mind.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Another thing I wonder is this:  if the app is programmed to recognize the general shape and/or colors of the set in order to activate, would it be possible to recreate the set out of your own bricks if you had the right ones rather than purchasing the actual set?  Disclaimer:  Not trying to create a discussion on ethics, but assuming you had access to the instructions, and you had enough of the key parts in your collection, could it be possible to activate the app feature?

It'd be an interesting thing to test for sure, though at the time being some of the color-coded elements the sets use are new recolors that don't appear in other sets. Even if/when those sorts of parts become more readily available outside of these specific sets, I feel like trying to recreate the AR play experience of this theme without the sets themselves would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Plus, I feel like it would result in a more sub-par play experience, since the rendered and animated in-app scene would no longer match the physical build you're using to interact with that scene.

The only real advantage I can think of for creating a mock-up like this to "trick" the app into thinking it's an official set is if you actually owned that set, but wanted to borrow some of its parts for MOCs without losing the ability to continue playing and making progress in the app game.

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Worth noting that LEGO has already previously dabbled in AR-based play experiences using existing themes in their AR Playgrounds app. So what's really new and groundbreaking about Hidden Side isn't the idea of using AR technology together with LEGO, but rather a LEGO theme being specifically designed with both traditional physical play experiences and combined physical+digital play experiences in mind.

It'd be an interesting thing to test for sure, though at the time being some of the color-coded elements the sets use are new recolors that don't appear in other sets. Even if/when those sorts of parts become more readily available outside of these specific sets, I feel like trying to recreate the AR play experience of this theme without the sets themselves would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Plus, I feel like it would result in a more sub-par play experience, since the rendered and animated in-app scene would no longer match the physical build you're using to interact with that scene.

The only real advantage I can think of for creating a mock-up like this to "trick" the app into thinking it's an official set is if you actually owned that set, but wanted to borrow some of its parts for MOCs without losing the ability to continue playing and making progress in the app game.

I'm glad that TLG is pushing how their bricks and technology can mesh better to expand the LEGO experience for children.  However, I do hope they keep MOCers in mind and in the future allow MOCs to be integrated into their AR apps.  How?  I don't know.  But I do hope they keep working at it.

This line looks incredible. I don't really care about the app, but I'm definitely above the age range where TLG would think that a problem. I like the designs of the main characters a lot - Parker and the professor (Is her name JB, or is that someone else in the line?) are both really nice minifigs, especially.

I'm probably only going to go for the boat, bus, and lab, but mostly because I can't really justify larger sets right now. It's a novel theme, and I definitely want to support that.