Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

3 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

My heart! There’s a ghost-bear too?! 

A ghost teddy bear, unless I missed something...

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I just saw a small picture of it first so I tough it maybe was glow in the dark, but I think tan is the correct colour for it..

It could work as a albino maybe :shrug_oh_well: A nice inclusion of the set and I will probably get a couple from B&P or similar :wink:

I was thinking Gotham, something that lives near Killer Croc or a Professor Strange experiment 

I really love the Pepper reference in this, really hope it was intentional and/or there are some more hidden gags.

This looks like an interesting line; I’m not sure that I’ll actively collect it, but I’ll at least need that boat set. Mainly for the tan crocodile, but the boat and kayak could be useful as well.

Sets I‘ll pick up:

- The school, the diner and graveyard

So far this theme looks really promising and the builds look look really cool

I wonder how the app works? Can I use the app with a MOC or just with the sets? If it only works with the sets, is there a code to input, a QR code on a piece, or a RFID tag in a piece that tells the app what to do?

Just now, jimmynick said:

I wonder how the app works? Can I use the app with a MOC or just with the sets? If it only works with the sets, is there a code to input, a QR code on a piece, or a RFID tag in a piece that tells the app what to do?

This is one of my biggest questions. 

I love to MOD and change my sets to better integrate them with my layout - it's very rare that I put a structure build into my layout without changing it at least a bit. (I already have plans for how to integrate the Graveyard.) But I want to at least try the app - it might be a nice time-waster on occasion, so if it only functions if you're using the models straight out of box, then that'll be a big disappointment. 

From what I've seen, it searches for certain colours - the original red, blue, yellow and green - amongst the sets (you will notice that these colours are all mostly absent from the sets, no doubt to avoid confusing the app.) and triggers events in-game based on when the small features, like the rotating statue seen in the Graveyard - and I've spotted similar rotating colour wheels built into the floor of the school, the kitchen of the diner and the tank on the right side of the lab, no doubt there's one somewhere in each set - meet the right criteria. 

16 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Probably not. The names are hardly any more alike than any of the other hundreds of town names ending in "bury".

I was thinking more like an Easter Egg with the name. Truthfully I never heard of any towns with the name ending in "bury" or "berry" (Other than Mayberry). 

15 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Yes. The ghosts are all the people Barney Fife shot off-camera while trying to holster his gun! :rofl:

Don't be silly, it is Andy Griffith that kill all those people. He is one cold mother... According to some people out their. :devil: Besides I see Barney more like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo (except not all those memes I have recently seen about Shaggy being a total bad @$$ ). 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Spelling

49 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

This is one of my biggest questions. 

I love to MOD and change my sets to better integrate them with my layout - it's very rare that I put a structure build into my layout without changing it at least a bit. (I already have plans for how to integrate the Graveyard.) But I want to at least try the app - it might be a nice time-waster on occasion, so if it only functions if you're using the models straight out of box, then that'll be a big disappointment. 

From what I've seen, it searches for certain colours - the original red, blue, yellow and green - amongst the sets (you will notice that these colours are all mostly absent from the sets, no doubt to avoid confusing the app.) and triggers events in-game based on when the small features, like the rotating statue seen in the Graveyard - and I've spotted similar rotating colour wheels built into the floor of the school, the kitchen of the diner and the tank on the right side of the lab, no doubt there's one somewhere in each set - meet the right criteria. 

According to the designers, it's only good if you build it as it shows in the instructions. It does allow a little bit of leeway for kids to make mistakes while building, but the set, unfortunately cannot be heavily modified.

Due to this, the color wheel positions are also deliberately placed, so the game won't function if you remove them either. And yes, each set has at least one.

Theme looks like a lot of fun. Each set is full of great stuff. I like the two kids. Their headgear is especially awesome...hat/hood combo:drool:. the ghost dog is fantastic. Ironically, I like how their phone tiles have prints of the ghosts, but I hate the app association...

Edited by Vindicare

I like this theme. Buildings are better than Scooby Doo sets, but Monster Fighters series has two extraordinary sets ( Haunted House and Vampyre Castle ). They are one of the best Lego sets ever. I will buy "Graveyard". School is good, but  I would rather prefer "doll house" model or something like modulars ( at a higher price of course ). I like the boat too and some minifigures. Other sets are not interesting to me. 

Man, this afternoon I was just thinking about how far they could take this theme... the way it "spookifies" pretty mundane subject matter makes it versatile as heck, since any sort of vehicle or setting you might expect to be able to find in an ordinary-seeming town like Newbury could be made ghostly in a future set. I'd love to see things like fairgrounds, arcades, farms, playgrounds, and more get the spooky treatment if the theme continues beyond its debut year!

Also makes me wonder if it will be possible to build MOCs in a similar fashion to go along with official sets. If not possible now maybe some time in the future as they add more sets and upgrade the app. I'm sure there is some sort of recognition code or something that activates the app to spookify the set, maybe you could transfer it into your own build somehow. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, Agent Kallus said:

Okay hypothetical scenario. Lets say the app didn't exist and no said anything about no physical ghosts only spookified towns folk, but the sets were exactly the same. I don't think as many people would complain and so following n from that I don't really get why people are upset by that, I mean we do get a new ghost dog and a lot of new parts and prints to spookify the towns folk with.

That said, using the AR to find invisible ghost is the best possible app integration I for a lego set that I can think of. This is truly a splendid Idea.

(I definitely did not write spookified just cause I couldn't spell possessed, only to realise it was written in the post above mine)

Gee, I don't know.  A haunted town theme with no ghosts?  Yeah, I think people might have a problem with that.

But there are ghosts in the form of possesed citizens 

I do hope they will expand on this premise in the upcoming waves

Not having real ghosts, just possessed things is my main problem with this theme, which is where the App causes the problem.

Just look at this and tell me you wouldn't want more minifigs like this:75827_alt18.jpg

Compared with that particular minifigure you posted, I'd say the Hidden Side possesed citizen are better.

What Id like is having diferent monsters not just ghost. But that can fixed in wave 2

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Compared with that particular minifigure you posted, I'd say the Hidden Side possesed citizen are better.

What Id like is having diferent monsters not just ghost. But that can fixed in wave 2

Assuming is a Big Bang and not just a one-off theme, I could see that happening. 

I also hope there's a new hero in a prospective second wave/year, or at least more variants of Jack and Parker. I love this theme, but I'm going to end up with so many duplicates of them. 

53 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Ok, here is a picture of the ghost we should have gotten :LEGO-Hidden-Side-website-featured-800-44

To me that ghost, looks better than the possessed minifigs. 

45 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

Ok, here is a picture of the ghost we should have gotten :

To me that ghost, looks better than the possessed minifigs. 

It reminds me of the themed villains in the Nexo Knights art book that we never got...

Really the only downside to the theme is the same minifig in every single set.

While I am used to 2-3 duplicates from Nexo Knights in a single wave.  TLM2 had duplicates too but still varied up the faces and some outfits.

This theme has 8 of the same boy and 6 of the same girl figure across 8 sets. I hope that still changes before release.

Edited by TeriXeri

27 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Really the only downside to the theme is the same minifig in every single set.

While I am used to 2-3 duplicates from Nexo Knights in a single wave.  TLM2 had duplicates too but still varied up the faces and some outfits.

This theme has 8 of the same boy and 6 of the same girl figure across 8 sets. I hope that still changes before release.

The boy and the girl come in 2 different outfits across the sets. Reasonable, if you ask me. And you get plenty of different civilians, wouldn't you agree? The expressions could be the same, though.

28 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

The boy and the girl come in 2 different outfits across the sets. Reasonable, if you ask me. And you get plenty of different civilians, wouldn't you agree? The expressions could be the same, though.

Wouldve been even better if they switched up the outfits a bit more on the headpieces.

Still means 8 of the same hoodie/cap pieces, and potentially the same (double sided) faces.

But maybe I'm asking too much as someone potentially interested in multiple sets.

I do know the monster/civilian side of things is very varied, and including extra heads/hairpieces for the normal/monster versions is a good thing.

Edited by TeriXeri

For the first wave I think it's OK to have Jack and Parker in almost every set--I'm not happy about it, but I understand that for the story and the app to function you would presumably need both in each set. Jack/Parker are supposed to send an alert when ghosts might be around (like during events, such as Halloween), so you would most likely need both in each set because of this. Still in comparison it's also a bit strange this this team is only two people in total. Ninjago's team is way too big, but at least its size allows the sets to focus on specific members at a time. 

That said, if we get a second wave or more, they're really going to have to add some actual variety to Jack and Parker--adding or removing a jacket is going to get real old real fast too. 

Speaking of characters though, while a bit premature, I seriously hope that Lego goes all out with the periphery characters' lore, i.e. I want actual names for all of them. The dog's name is apparently Spencer and we know the science teacher's name is JB, but the (admittedly unfinished) box art also names every other character as basically just "Captain", "Waitress", "Conductor", etc. which is hopefully not final. Just randomly complaining over here :grin:, but I really hope we get some lore for this town and the people in it, and that starts with every character being a named person.