Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

The sets all look pretty good, but I'm still disappointed by the fact that the only way to see the actual ghosts is by using the phone app vs getting a physical minifig.

2 hours ago, ninjagoyax555 said:

i do really like look of these sets but do you really have to use a phone with this ?

If you want the AR full play experience with the app.  Otherwise, a healthy dose of imagination would work too.

I'm a little bit disappointed that the train is a freight train, not of the passenger variety. But I can live with that; it seems I was wrong and it doesn't include a full loop of track, but it DOES include a completely new track-to-road adaption piece. Which is cool. 

For anyone who hasn't seen the pictures I have, the Train does have a major transformation feature; in addition to the front bonnet opening up like jaws, the sides have panels that open to reveal a pair of wings. It also has two carriages attached to it, the easier-to-see 'glass capsule' car, and a fairly-mundane-looking freight car that should be easy enough to slot into a city layout. It even has graffiti on the side! . . And a pop-up turret to be operated by Jack. Not what I was expecting, and I'm not entirely sure that this makes it worth the price hike . . but it's still the most interesting train we've gotten since Toy Story 3 (which I missed) so if I can get it on discount it'll do! (After all, it should be easy enough to add a passenger carriage and take out the capsule car.)

Aside from that, the Banana Truck and Diner are definitely real standouts. The Graveyard still looks fairly good, if not quite a standout. 

And is anyone else seeing the guy with a printed helmet and a cape hanging out of the truck? I wonder what his deal is. 

All in all, exciting wave that makes me antsy with anticipation. Can't wait to see these sets in action!

Just now, dr_spock said:

If you want the AR full play experience with the app.  Otherwise, a healthy dose of imagination would work too.

Yeah, like Nexo Knights or Ultra Agents, it's designed to be compatible with the app, but most of the sets seem to have plenty of playability even without it. For example, the "transformation" function between the daytime and nighttime modes of each set are all part of the physical play experience, though some things like the haunted tree in the graveyard are animated in the app to make them even spookier).

The main thing you seem to miss out on with the app is the interactive ghost hunting game. The only parts of this build that seem specifically designed as part of this game and NOT as part of the physical play experience by itself are hinged or rotating sections that reveal differently colored tiles for the phone's camera to recognize. These are pretty unobtrusive, and since none of them seem to rely on specialized molds or printed elements, just generic tiles in vivid colors, they do not seem to add much more to the sets' price than ordinary parts around the same size would. It would also be easy to swap a lot of these for printed tiles with spooky patterns if you wanted to make them more meaningful as purely physical play features.

32 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

The sets all look pretty good, but I'm still disappointed by the fact that the only way to see the actual ghosts is by using the phone app vs getting a physical minifig.

To be honest I think that kind of suits the concept being explored here, since the idea is that the ghosts are invisible when they're not possessing physical people/buildings/vehicles. To be honest I think this is a really neat way of expressing something we rarely see in LEGO but that is a staple in the sci-fi and horror genres — the idea of invisible entities that can only be seen under special conditions.

It reminds me a bit of how the Exploriens theme I enjoyed a lot as a kid (and many subsequent themes like Divers and Arctic) used red and blue transparent elements to make certain stickered or printed elements as an "X-Ray" that turned ambiguous patterns on stickered or printed elements into one of two different patterns. Except, of course, a little more high-tech, which helps it feel much more exciting compared to stuff that today's kids might have already seen in other toys.

I suppose one day there might come a time that technology improves to the point that LEGO can put, like, literal hologram projectors in sets or something? But for now an app seems like a really clever way of creating this kind of effect, especially since LEGO typically releases apps for a lot of their most popular themes anyhow — this actually makes those apps a little more relevant to the physical product.

5 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

Hmm the train is not really ghost-train-y enough- missed out on the monster fighters one and was hoping for a proper ghost train. The school is a beauty and I like the graveyard + the lab. Really glad we’re getting nice coloured hair pieces- love the lilac. 

It's got a good mad scientist vibe going, which fits in with the school bus and the lab - not sure yet the connection between mad scientist and AR ghosts, though.

4 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I was admittedly envisioning a more brightly colored rounded 50's style Diner (kinda like the one from Riverdale, the show which I totally don't watch...)

I had imagined a 50s style chrome diner, with rounded shapes but obviously built in bley - this box really doesn't do anything for me either.

The school and the lab are the best sets. The dinner, truck and train are just weird.

I wish they had gone with a stronger "ghost town" theme with these designs. Like the Haunted House from MF but applied to the whole line.

I...LOVE this theme. 

Judging by the boat and seafood shack, the town seems to be near the ocean, giving me heavy Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated vibes. Along with the central focus being about two kids in a town full of ghosts, it seems Gravity Falls inspired as well.

The figures all look great. I really love the two main characters, and all of the spring green hair is exciting!

App integration doesn’t bother me one bit. If it pisses you off, just don’t use it.

The school and the bus are my favorites and hopefully I’ll be able to pick them up. The lab, diner and boat are cute. Don’t really have any interest in the graveyard, truck or train.

I hope this theme lasts for a while. Each year can have a different form of possesion with future minifigures having different molds and colors. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but just imagine a humongous buildable cthulu type creature as the king demon or whatever :wub_drool:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's kinda strange logic. If you don't care for minidolls, shouldn't the fact that this theme instead has minifigures make you grateful that at least there'll be some possible future incentive down the road? :shrug_confused:

Not really.  This theme doesn't offer me much, so if it had been minidolls there wouldn't be much change.  And now I expect to see a minidoll theme that does interest me, which will be sad.

6 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

The tan crocodile is totally random and I love it!

Absolutely.  Possibly the best thing I've seen in this theme so far!  I bet @Roebuck will really enjoy it, too!

I'm most looking forward to the School Bus, the Truck and the Diner.

I didn't know the truck was gonna be a monster truck! Looks well built too.

The bus is also a mobile lab by the looks of it and uses the new tall tyre piece to great effect.

And the diner looks well built. Plus, that little vehicle (which I guess is a beach buggy modified with ghost busting equipment) has the Adventurers cabin piece in a light blue colour. Never knew when i'd see that piece come back.

26 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Absolutely.  Possibly the best thing I've seen in this theme so far!  I bet @Roebuck will really enjoy it, too!

I just saw a small picture of it first so I tough it maybe was glow in the dark, but I think tan is the correct colour for it..

It could work as a albino maybe :shrug_oh_well: A nice inclusion of the set and I will probably get a couple from B&P or similar :wink:

The torso is pretty cool, it's pretty much a hybrid of the physical print from the Island Xtreme Stunts sets and his torso design in LEGO Island 2:

w6GT1Gt.png

rIOFdXU.png

The figure as a whole is fairly similar to Pepper - given LEGO doesn't print hair directly on minifigure heads anymore, I suppose that hair piece is about as close as you can get without designing a new combined hat + hair piece, which is obviously out of the question for a minor civilian character (but would be accurate to how his hair worked in the later games, haha).

Oh no, a very good reason to look forward to august/the autumn :hmpf: But hey, I LOVE this theme and can`t wait to get my hands on it! Forget the need for phone or app, I need every single set and most of them will fit right into Apocalypseburg!! :wub_drool:

This theme looks really fun to me. The diner, the school, the graveyard, the boat, the train i want them! The app might be fun too, but i am not really interested in it. But i wasn’t interested in Dimensions before and that ended up being a really fun game. 

I love the scooby doo, eerie feeling it’s giving me. If i was a kid again i would play the heck out of it 100%

the captain with the octopus arms looks interesting as well. I only hope those arms will be reused in a normal colour too

ok am I the only one who thinks the awesome possessed buildings , trains and toilets gimmick remind me a lot of kenner's the real ghostbusters sub-toyline which were called fright features

Okay hypothetical scenario. Lets say the app didn't exist and no said anything about no physical ghosts only spookified towns folk, but the sets were exactly the same. I don't think as many people would complain and so following n from that I don't really get why people are upset by that, I mean we do get a new ghost dog and a lot of new parts and prints to spookify the towns folk with.

That said, using the AR to find invisible ghost is the best possible app integration I for a lego set that I can think of. This is truly a splendid Idea.

(I definitely did not write spookified just cause I couldn't spell possessed, only to realise it was written in the post above mine)

7 hours ago, saysonder said:

I hope this theme lasts for a while. Each year can have a different form of possesion with future minifigures having different molds and colors. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but just imagine a humongous buildable cthulu type creature as the king demon or whatever :wub_drool:

I definitely hope so too! And hmmm......"Ctulhu" got me thinking.....maybe there can be like eldritch-like mutations too like Hearthstone's Old Gods stuffs! Great potential to explore that if possible!

4 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Am I the only one wondering why the town name is very similar to "Mayberry". Are the designers trying to tell us something? 

Probably not. The names are hardly any more alike than any of the other hundreds of town names ending in "bury".

9 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm a little bit disappointed that the train is a freight train, not of the passenger variety. But I can live with that; it seems I was wrong and it doesn't include a full loop of track, but it DOES include a completely new track-to-road adaption piece. Which is cool. 

For anyone who hasn't seen the pictures I have, the Train does have a major transformation feature; in addition to the front bonnet opening up like jaws, the sides have panels that open to reveal a pair of wings. It also has two carriages attached to it, the easier-to-see 'glass capsule' car, and a fairly-mundane-looking freight car that should be easy enough to slot into a city layout. It even has graffiti on the side! . . And a pop-up turret to be operated by Jack. Not what I was expecting, and I'm not entirely sure that this makes it worth the price hike . . but it's still the most interesting train we've gotten since Toy Story 3 (which I missed) so if I can get it on discount it'll do! (After all, it should be easy enough to add a passenger carriage and take out the capsule car.)

Aside from that, the Banana Truck and Diner are definitely real standouts. The Graveyard still looks fairly good, if not quite a standout. 

And is anyone else seeing the guy with a printed helmet and a cape hanging out of the truck? I wonder what his deal is. 

All in all, exciting wave that makes me antsy with anticipation. Can't wait to see these sets in action!

I'm liking what I see of these sets. The train is awesome. I love the idea of an Engine that eats stuff on a Lego RR layout. I suspect that little third car is to hide a motor in maybe? The Engine will be tough to motorize with the transformation feature. 

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Am I the only one wondering why the town name is very similar to "Mayberry". Are the designers trying to tell us something? 

Yes. The ghosts are all the people Barney Fife shot off-camera while trying to holster his gun! :rofl:

I noticed that in the diner set the seat area of the buggy is the old piece I believe was used in adventurers? But its in a blue color so is this a re-release of that part? I haven't seen it in any more modern sets. Also this theme looks amazing the diner and boat are both sets that would look great near the old fishing store and 2019 creator houseboat, the school is great love how hidden the possessed features are, the train is super neat and the school bus and truck are nice looking. Overall the theme is full of neat sets, this is the stuff I personally enjoy to see from Lego in-house themes that are unique while I enjoy licensed sets there is something about in-house themes that brings a smile to my face. 

Personaly - I LOVE everything about this theme.
New molds look great and shows that Lego can do way complicated molds than we imagined. I personaly love new dog!
The puzzle game aspect will make me actualy build the sets instead just buy them for pieces.
The idea of AR to see ghost isn't very creative, but it's still VERY coold, and I'm really happy the ghosts have Lego ninjago ghosts colorsheme ! The faces will be great for customizing your army!
Many prints and stickers are VERY usefull and I see myself buying a few copies! Especialy diner one and eyes!