Robert8

HIDDEN SIDE - 2019

Besides the Scooby Doo and Ghostbusters comparisons, anyone getting any Time Cruisers/Time Twisters vibes from what's been seen so far? :shrug_oh_well:

On 1/30/2019 at 9:06 AM, Captain Nemo said:

My hot take: This theme is just about like famous young trendy internet vloggers who don't doubt the existence of monsters, but rather they just want to monetize their existence. Also Lego's gonna make an app for this, 100% 

This was awfully spot on... :oh:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Besides the Scooby Doo and Ghostbusters comparisons, anyone getting any Time Cruisers/Time Twisters vibes from what's been seen so far? :shrug_oh_well:

Oh yeah, and in a small way too! No wonder that lab reminds me of something but I just can't seem to put what. Until now! :oh:

By the way, does anyone here know where each of these individual images making up this IG collage post source from? :shrug_confused:

Well this theme came out of nowhere. I don't care too much for the phone connection factor. But the sets look great. Especially the Graveyard and the School. I guess if City is never going to do a school, something is better then nothing. 

Hard pass.  I don't have or want a smart phone.  There are no ghost minifigs.

Keep coming out with stuff like this, Lego.  You're saving me a lot of money!

Hmm as I suspected some of these are prototypes 

The hairpiece in the scientist woman is white in the second pic instead of pink

19 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hmm as I suspected some of these are prototypes 

The hairpiece in the scientist woman is white in the second pic instead of pink

Aww, really? I preferred the pink. 

Not really the kind of theme I get into.  I think it could be better, we will have to see what kinds of monsters / ghosts are included in the rest of the sets.

Some of the stuff looks cool.  I hope that those dark red corner panels are stickered.  I'm not a fan of the brick design they've got on them.  Great headgear, though.  Also, I like the dog.

Also, I don't really care about the AR feature, but it's kind of cool that they are rolling that out for those interested.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, Aanchir said:

part of me DOES wish it were a mini-doll theme to take the place of Elves

Same here.  Mostly because it's not as interesting to me, so it might as well have minidolls.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, parsom said:

"You don't get ghost mini-figures in the box, for example, although included characters can be "possessed" by replacing their heads. Instead, the ghosts are supplied through AR and it feels as if the phone is the portal into a different world."

Too bad, I like plastic ghosts...

That's a shame, definitely.  The new pieces look good, but they are not enough.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, Penkid11 said:

One gripe though, I only see mint colored pieces, not glow-in-the-dark ones (which look white, not mint, for those curious).

Yeah, I was hoping it was glow-in-the-dark.  If it's not, that takes away a bit of my excitement.

At $89.99, I'm pretty much expecting the train set to be Monster Fighter's Ghost Train 2.0, but how exactly will it differ? Will it still take after a Nineteenth Century American steam locomotive, or could it instead be a modern diesel? Like the high school set, could it transform? Will it have plain old Black train wheels, or could we finally see some novel recolors of such? :shrug_oh_well:

P.S. I am excited to see the Flame Yellowish Orange recolor of that VW Beetle arch brick on the school bus. :classic:

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

Mostly because it's not as interesting to me, so it might as well have minidolls.

That's kinda strange logic. If you don't care for minidolls, shouldn't the fact that this theme instead has minifigures make you grateful that at least there'll be some possible future incentive down the road? :shrug_confused:

Pic is out, the train is a modern freight. 2015 Alligator/Croc in tan, looks like a new rain hat mold, like pic related. Looks like the classic cutlass is coming in spring green, too,.

th-id-OIP-Iliax-Ths0w7-Jxd-T0h-XFqq-QHa-

Just now, K_Tiger said:

Pic is out, the train is a modern freight. 2015 Alligator/Croc in tan, looks like a new rain hat mold, like pic related. Looks like the classic cutlass is coming in spring green, too,

Who's got da pics?! :excited:

Instagram. The pic isn;t great, but we can see the engine, and at least one flatcar based on 6 x 10 or 12 plate.

The possessed Gorton's Fisherman comes on a boat that looks like it can break in half.

Yeah...mostly crappy photos so that doesn't help. 

I'm not as impressed with the new sets--the School and Bus are clearly the best of the wave and fortunately we saw those first. :thumbup: That said, there's some stuff to love about these ones too. The tan crocodile is totally random and I love it! All the minifigure accessories in Spring Yellowish Green are great (if that might somewhat unfortunately confirm they're not meant to be glow in the dark). The train is just meh for me at the moment, and I don't know what to make of the diner--the angle of the photo is just so terrible I don't think it's fair to judge that one yet. :tongue:

Side note, in the above photo...is the dog supposed to be a ghost-dog? Ala Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas? In the previous images he appeared solid white, and I frankly hated it because I thought the mold looked terrible. But here in this photo the dog seems like he's transparent clear, with a white inner mold? Suddenly more interesting...   

1 minute ago, Captain Nemo said:

But here in this photo the dog seems like he's transparent clear, with a white inner mold? Suddenly more interesting...   

I think you're right!

17 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

I'm not as impressed with the new sets--the School and Bus are clearly the best of the wave and fortunately we saw those first. :thumbup: 

How about that Dinner? To me it looks pretty great, following this years Apocalypse - Fallout style in Lego Movie 2 sets. The train engine looks also intersting and "ok". 

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Hmm the train is not really ghost-train-y enough- missed out on the monster fighters one and was hoping for a proper ghost train. The school is a beauty and I like the graveyard + the lab. Really glad we’re getting nice coloured hair pieces- love the lilac. 

56 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

How about that Dinner? To me it looks pretty great, following this years Apocalypse - Fallout style in Lego Movie 2 sets. The train engine looks also intersting and "ok". 

Diner interests me way more then a Train or Schoolbus would as I prefer buildings/shops. 

Seems like a useful theme overall, if you get bored of the ghost/monster stuff you can still use large parts of those sets for regular City.

I'm at least glad they put the bigger vehicles in their seperate sets.

However, there's still the Creator Pet Shop/Townhouse and City Donut Shop Opening I need to see as well, this year.

Of course this theme might run for multiple years as well, so overall, it's a good addition.

Edited by TeriXeri

The train should transform into a ghost version I would think. Its not particularly interesting to me otherwise--but that's like the opposite problem for the folks over in the train forum. :blush: 

That one picture of the Diner is just not doing it for me. Again the angle of the photo is terrible, but it seems like its just largely stacked plates with a box on top. I was admittedly envisioning a more brightly colored rounded 50's style Diner (kinda like the one from Riverdale, the show which I totally don't watch...) And this one seems a bit more run down, the color of the building is the same as the dirt upon which is poorly stands. 

And I don't like the big shrimp sign that's for sure. 

The train definitely does have a transformation, there’s a few pictures where the front of the train is slightly opened up and it has teeth. I love how these sets can look perfectly normal, almost enough to just be city sets. Also, now that we have seen more of them, the possessed minifigs are awesome! There are more pictures of the diner, and in one of them you can see the possessed chef has four arms, garmadon style! The possessed prota potty with traffic cone legs in the bus set is also really creative, and also silly! I don’t mind the lack of actual ghost figures, these make up for it. This theme so far looks great, definitely will get something!

Edited by NetherCreeper
Grammar

12 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

I was admittedly envisioning a more brightly colored rounded 50's style Diner (kinda like the one from Riverdale, the show which I totally don't watch...) And this one seems a bit more run down, the color of the building is the same as the dirt upon which is poorly stands. 

And I don't like the big shrimp sign that's for sure. 

You can easily buy The Downtown Dinner from the Creator Expert series... Why would TLG make two same sets? :D This one is quite enough for what it supposed to be. And as always you can easily update it from your own bricks ... 

Diner certainly looks cool from the inside having a decent size kitchen build, and I don't have a problem with open backed buildings.

The 2nd floor is 8x18, so pretty close to the 8x16 3-in-1 sets of recent years, so can be easily expanded.

Another video of the same guys.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wow! I really like the "Banana Van" (Truck) set! Looks to be fun set! (totally digging the bike too) But I'll agree that the bus and school was the most impressive of them all. The Train looks quite intriguing, looking forward to seeing more on its full transformation! (And am I seeing a city train logo on it?!) The boat set definitely looks interesting too!

And also looking forward to seeing more pics of the diner, I really like the shrimp sign and kitchen interior. I'm a sucker for checkered floors! :excited:

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)