Sign in to follow this  
scruffulous

[MOC] Totternhoe: Narrow Gauge Railway

This is the narrow gauge train layout I presented at Brickvention 2019, based on the idea I developed for OcTRAINber 2018 (i.e. using a hidden subsystem of L-gauge train "carriers" connected to the visible narrow gauge trains above via magnets).

45941105525_eeae97d80e_b.jpgTotternhoe - Brickvention 2019 by Mike Pianta, on Flickr

You can see it in action in this video:

31884694917_737760731c_o.jpgTotternhoe by Mike Pianta, on Flickr

While the layout worked well enough to give me encouragement to continue to refine it, there were a number of issues that meant, at first, I couldn't reliably run most of my locos. The green simplex is a loco with the cab removed to reduce weight. This was the most reliable loco I had because it was light. I had to rebuild the yellow diesel to reduce the weight, and it ended up being fairly reliable. I did get the base (i.e. no cab) of a steam loco (not shown) round the loop, but ran out of time at the convention to fully test it with the cab. I think I can get it there, though.

So, lots of issues, and dealing with them meant that I didn't have time to detail the layout as much as I would have liked - I think it looks a bit plain.

I'm hooked, though - I love the challenge, and the cuteness of the narrow gauge trains is irresistible.

nice narrow gauge railway you have. i have some ideas on how to improve it like inventing a system to couple your wagons together or you could use stronger neodynium magnets.

hope this helps

XGBC

I thought this was amazing last year and I still do now. It’s such a clever idea which has been so well executed, and it looks fantastic too. I can only see it improving and getting ever better as you add more detail.

What’s the issue with loco weight? Are they breaking away from their magnets when running light (e.g. on their own without a train)? Is there any way to either increase the strength of the magnets or maybe making baseplates thinner so that the magnets can run closer together?

Oh, this is just superb. Your trackwork is inspirational (3w is such a better idea for a truly small railroad at this scale). I would love to see your take on a few shunting steamers for this line.

If you're inclined to share, I'd love to take a look at the LDD those ore carts - they're amazing.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Thanks all.

8 hours ago, XGBC said:

i have some ideas on how to improve it like inventing a system to couple your wagons together or you could use stronger neodynium magnets.

I actually deliberately haven't coupled the wagons together - one advantage of not coupling them is that I can decouple the hidden carriers below without my hand interrupting the view from above. It's not as straight forward as using stronger magnets. I'm already using pretty strong ones, and if I go stronger the attraction/repulsion between magnets on the carriers causes the carriers to tip over (even when weighted).

7 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

What’s the issue with loco weight? Are they breaking away from their magnets when running light (e.g. on their own without a train)? Is there any way to either increase the strength of the magnets or maybe making baseplates thinner so that the magnets can run closer together?

Yeah, if the loco/wagon is too heavy, or the track is too uneven, the carriers (below) separate from their rolling stock (above). A thinner base does help (my OcTRAINber prototype, which was straight track, had a thinner base), but I need the current thickness to build the points and other tricky track geometry.

5 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I would love to see your take on a few shunting steamers for this line. 

If you're inclined to share, I'd love to take a look at the LDD those ore carts - they're amazing.

I'm hoping to get my steamer running soon.

I've got the tilt skips in LDraw - would that be useful?

8 hours ago, scruffulous said:

Thanks all.

I actually deliberately haven't coupled the wagons together - one advantage of not coupling them is that I can decouple the hidden carriers below without my hand interrupting the view from above. It's not as straight forward as using stronger magnets. I'm already using pretty strong ones, and if I go stronger the attraction/repulsion between magnets on the carriers causes the carriers to tip over (even when weighted).

Yeah, if the loco/wagon is too heavy, or the track is too uneven, the carriers (below) separate from their rolling stock (above). A thinner base does help (my OcTRAINber prototype, which was straight track, had a thinner base), but I need the current thickness to build the points and other tricky track geometry.

I am sure I could figure it out - sure!

6 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I am sure I could figure it out - sure!

Can't upload the LDraw file here, but there aren't that many parts, so you should be able to figure it out from this exploded image.

46191225814_c19b235e6b_z.jpgTilt Skip Exploded by Mike Pianta, on Flickr

Edited by scruffulous

17 hours ago, scruffulous said:

Thanks all.

ok that explains it all

XGBC

Yes, the concept was already brilliant. But it is really great to see it in a layout, which also looks really nice. And quite clever how you did the points/switches.

Amazing. Its really cool to see how a your entry in OcTRAINber ended up being a complete layout for Brickvention. Are you planning to integrate it into the MLTC layout, just like was done with the Puffing Billy layout?

Really lovely narrow-gauge railway you built there, and the method you came up with for "motorizing" such small locomotives is quite clever, too!  I gotta say, that 3-stud rail placement seems to be just about perfect for simulating 2-foot gauge in LEGO, and your tilt skips look almost exactly like pictures of such wagons on the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway that I've seen on the internet.

6 hours ago, raised said:

Amazing. Its really cool to see how a your entry in OcTRAINber ended up being a complete layout for Brickvention. Are you planning to integrate it into the MLTC layout, just like was done with the Puffing Billy layout?

Thanks. I'd booked this layout idea into Brickvention way ahead of OcTRAINber, but it took me a long time to realise that I could use a test-build as an entry for that competition. Actually, I'm not sure I would have been able to present a working layout if I hadn't done that - OcTRAINber allowed me to iron out some of the technical issues. Puffing Billy was integrated into the VRLGM Victorian Railways layout, which was appropriate. This layout, which is based on narrow gauge railways in the heart of England, would be out of place there, so will most likely stay as stand-alone (but will hopefully improve in quality and size).

3 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

Really lovely narrow-gauge railway you built there, and the method you came up with for "motorizing" such small locomotives is quite clever, too!  I gotta say, that 3-stud rail placement seems to be just about perfect for simulating 2-foot gauge in LEGO, and your tilt skips look almost exactly like pictures of such wagons on the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway that I've seen on the internet.

Thanks. I feel the same way about the gauge. I really struggled to get the dimensions right for the tilt skips. The ones I built for OcTRAINber were all wrong, but I think they're pretty close now.

That's brilliant and beautiful! Even before anything moves the layout looks great. Then knowing all that is going on behind the curtain... you are insane and I am in awe. A little spooky to see the cars following along behind the engine without a coupler in sight.

7 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

...you are insane...

So, I've been called nuts over on Flickr and insane here on Eurobricks - are you guys trying to tell me something ;-)

The kids at the show loved it when there was a "spooky" gap between the rolling stock.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, scruffulous said:

So, I've been called nuts over on Flickr and insane here on Eurobricks - are you guys trying to tell me something ;-)

As someone who knows and loves you; completely un-hinged, stark raving bonkers, bat shit crazy.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, scruffulous said:

The kids at the show loved it when there was a "spooky" gap between the rolling stock.

It's OK we're a great support group...  We completely support your MADNESS!  LMAO 

This is even better than before.   I showed your original to a lug member and we both want to integrate it into the clubs layout.   Any pictures of the "support system" would be welcomed! 

I bet the kids love seeing floating cars lol how many look under the table! 

@scruffulous This is pretty sane tbh... I thought I was losing it when I started working on a 9V track powered narrow gauge system... lol I had to take a break, but may go back to it...?

9 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

@scruffulous This is pretty sane tbh... I thought I was losing it when I started working on a 9V track powered narrow gauge system... lol I had to take a break, but may go back to it...?

Pictures or it didn't happen lol...  Seriously got a link to the project?

20 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Pictures or it didn't happen lol...  Seriously got a link to the project?

I'll do you one better with a video demonstration:

25669827807_c1b898613f_n.jpgNG: 9V shunter (vid 1) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

The two main problems were traction and electrical contact. If I had more time & know-how...!