Type: Small Commercial

Stormhaven was a small settlement, and for a long time goods had been brought directly in by Corrington.

46846627222_6cc3bf11ab_z.jpgStormhaven Waymart by North White, on Flickr

That had changed when the WTC set up a Waymart in the settlement, forcing the settlement's locals to buy from them.

46898762231_720b9ebb8c_z.jpgStormhaven Waymart by North White, on Flickr

Today, a Nameren Businessman had arrived to do business with the WTC.

46898762321_c7c4e0dd64_z.jpgStormhaven Waymart by North White, on Flickr

"No, I don't want a #&$#ing loyalty card!" muttered a disgruntled Marine. 

"But it gets you discounts!" Said a WTC lackey who was loitering in the store. 

46173779784_bd795b9789_z.jpgStormhaven Waymart by North White, on Flickr

The Marine stormed out, as the Businessman entered. 

Certainly, there was something to discuss....

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build! I stole a technique from @Ayrlego for the siding, which I think turned out very nicely. I wish I could of done the design for the mangroves that the other builders in Stormhaven did, but alas I did not have the pieces. I hope they look alright. C&C appreciated! 

Dude. I’m impressed. Love the siding technique, roof, and stairs/wood dock.

Im also always a fan of water that’s more than just a blue plate. Way to go Mesabi.

So this is a really great build by you!  The clapboard wall looks great...  And a plus that you added the lantern and newspaper tile to break it up.   Another great feature is the dock...  The angle makes it visually more interesting.  Also I did notice the undergrowth...  It's well implemented with the bricks you have.  The roof surprisingly works well with that element.  My suggestion is to add some brown one stud wide plates spaced 3 or 4 studs apart on the underside of your roof running vertical to give the impression of rafters ... Hope that made sense.  Otherwise quite the nice build good job with a "busy interior "

Mesabi this is easily my favourite work of yours ever. I know you have done bigger etc, but this is wonderfully executed and I think it captures the feel of the previous mangrove builds perfectly.

The wooden platforms are masterfully done with the ramshackle nature of the board walks really coming through. All the angles of the walkways and the offset of the building enhance this effect even more. The transition from the water to the shore is wonderful, those cones and round bricks capture the mangrove look very well - almost like the exposed roots or hacked off bits from when they made the building. You may have lacked the parts to replicate the mangroves themselves but you have done a brilliant job with what you have and those roots are well worth coping at some stage. As for the building, it's small but makes up for it in detail. The siding is well executed and the colour scheme is perfect. NPU with the roof elements as well and the usual Mesabi interior to boot.

The only thing that bothers me is the mixture of fleshie and yellow... but that's a personal thing (you can't please everyone right?!)

Seriously man, if this is and example of what you can do small.... build small everytime! I am really very impressed. Great job! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

20 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Mesabi this is easily my favourite work of yours ever.

I second this! Fantastic building Mesabi! Great details all around and definitely a massive step forward in your building!

I will start off by saying you have earned my :thumbup:. The walkway is spectacular with its angle and design. This was easily recognizable as Stormhaven with the walkway and the vegetation. Great job imitating the vegetation with a different technique. I also am very impressed with the siding and roof of the building. 

A few areas I would recommend looking at next time. Crop the second photo to the water line. It looks odd from that angle with the table showing underneath the building. Cropped I think it will look better. Try adding some texture to the interior walls: several plates or radiator bricks, etc. replacing the normal bricks. Something to break up the brick view in addition to decorations. Also where you attach the roof to the wall try some bricks between the hinge pieces to smooth the look and have that last layer level. (Or even better, two plates and a tile. )

Keep up the good work!

PS. Roadmonkey had a great suggestion with the rafter idea.

Brilliant !! This one is brilliant ! :thumbup:

There's some improvement possible for the inside but the outside view is really impressive !

Good job !!

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

The only thing that bothers me is the mixture of fleshie and yellow... but that's a personal thing (you can't please everyone right?!)

seconded

Expertly done - you do not need it, but you have my  :thumbup: - I knew it already when I saw the pictures on flickr. The exterior is very good all around (love the walkway) and your solution for the mangroves is innovative.

However, since the GoC is meant to improve our building skills, I will add a few suggestion to the above for your next builds.

• Pictures
    If you take them from further away, you will get a less thwarted perspective. It may not be possible for you to zoom on your camera, but then you can crop your photos to only show the relevant parts (i.e. the build).
    The light seems fairly good, although you may want to try to reflect it off the ceiling or similar, as you have some shadows.
    You may also want to rotate some of your pictures, as some of them seems off canter.
  • Interior
    While your exterior has a lot of details, you interior is mainly just "busy". As TJ said, roof rafters would be a nice idea, as would some texture or detailing on the walls/roof. Maybe some windows on the side walls with windowsills and/or curtains. As it is now, you can take out the interior furnishings, and the only thing left is bare walls and floor. If you have the bricks, some form of tiling of the interior would also help (although I advice leaving some studs for posing minifigs.
    I think I would suggest a few less pictures and a bit more story. Right now, it seems very staccato. You read one sentence, and then you have a picture. I sometimes do the same, but look for instance at Ayrlego's posts. He typically have a story, and then a single photo or two.
    You also might be posting some very small pictures?
    And I suggest you edit out the:
    9 hours ago, Mesabi said:

part after each picture, as it is visually disturbing.

All in all, great work!

I like the roof looks on the outside, I hadn't seen that design before.

For me the best parts is the jetties on the front, and the whole build being over muddy banks. 

18 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Dude. I’m impressed. Love the siding technique, roof, and stairs/wood dock.

Im also always a fan of water that’s more than just a blue plate. Way to go Mesabi.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

So this is a really great build by you!  The clapboard wall looks great...  And a plus that you added the lantern and newspaper tile to break it up.   Another great feature is the dock...  The angle makes it visually more interesting.  Also I did notice the undergrowth...  It's well implemented with the bricks you have.  The roof surprisingly works well with that element.  My suggestion is to add some brown one stud wide plates spaced 3 or 4 studs apart on the underside of your roof running vertical to give the impression of rafters ... Hope that made sense.  Otherwise quite the nice build good job with a "busy interior "

Thanks!

I totally spaced the underside/interior part of the roof, but I'll definitely take your suggestion for the next one. :thumbup:

14 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Wow!  I'm delightedly impressed.  A lot of good stuff there.

Thanks Kwatchi!

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Mesabi this is easily my favourite work of yours ever. I know you have done bigger etc, but this is wonderfully executed and I think it captures the feel of the previous mangrove builds perfectly.

Seriously man, if this is and example of what you can do small.... build small everytime! I am really very impressed. Great job! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dang, that's some high praise! :blush:

I really like how this one turned out, and I'm glad others agree. 

You should know though, fleshies and yellows live in harmony in my version of BoBS! :pir-tongue:

Thank you! 

12 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I second this! Fantastic building Mesabi! Great details all around and definitely a massive step forward in your building!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

I will start off by saying you have earned my :thumbup:. The walkway is spectacular with its angle and design. This was easily recognizable as Stormhaven with the walkway and the vegetation. Great job imitating the vegetation with a different technique. I also am very impressed with the siding and roof of the building. 

A few areas I would recommend looking at next time. Crop the second photo to the water line. It looks odd from that angle with the table showing underneath the building. Cropped I think it will look better. Try adding some texture to the interior walls: several plates or radiator bricks, etc. replacing the normal bricks. Something to break up the brick view in addition to decorations. Also where you attach the roof to the wall try some bricks between the hinge pieces to smooth the look and have that last layer level. (Or even better, two plates and a tile. )

Keep up the good work!

PS. Roadmonkey had a great suggestion with the rafter idea.

Thanks!

I'm glad this captured Stormhaven well. I agree the interior could use a bit more work, but it was a little crowded, even before I added the stuff inside. 

8 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Brilliant !! This one is brilliant ! :thumbup:

There's some improvement possible for the inside but the outside view is really impressive !

Good job !!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Bregir said:

Expertly done - you do not need it, but you have my  :thumbup: - I knew it already when I saw the pictures on flickr. The exterior is very good all around (love the walkway) and your solution for the mangroves is innovative.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Bregir said:

Pictures
If you take them from further away, you will get a less thwarted perspective. It may not be possible for you to zoom on your camera, but then you can crop your photos to only show the relevant parts (i.e. the build).
The light seems fairly good, although you may want to try to reflect it off the ceiling or similar, as you have some shadows.
You may also want to rotate some of your pictures, as some of them seems off canter.

Thanks, I'll look at some tutorials. 

Interior
While your exterior has a lot of details, you interior is mainly just "busy". As TJ said, roof rafters would be a nice idea, as would some texture or detailing on the walls/roof. Maybe some windows on the side walls with windowsills and/or curtains. As it is now, you can take out the interior furnishings, and the only thing left is bare walls and floor. If you have the bricks, some form of tiling of the interior would also help (although I advice leaving some studs for posing minifigs.

I agree with this one. I ran out of parts to really tile it, and I'm not 100% happy with the interior. That's something I will try to improve in the next one. 

I think I would suggest a few less pictures and a bit more story. Right now, it seems very staccato. You read one sentence, and then you have a picture. I sometimes do the same, but look for instance at Ayrlego's posts. He typically have a story, and then a single photo or two.

Yeah, I'm never quite sure what to do when my main characters aren't involved. I'll try and improve that a bit. 

part after each picture, as it is visually disturbing.

Do you know how to do that? It's automatically added when you use BB code on flickr. I've tried removing it when I post the topic, but it usually ends up just messing up all the text in the post by turning it into a url. So, the best way I've found is to just usually take it out by editing the topic once it's posted, which is annoying. 

Any thoughts?

And thanks for your comprehensive advice. 

7 hours ago, Bart said:

I like the roof looks on the outside, I hadn't seen that design before.

For me the best parts is the jetties on the front, and the whole build being over muddy banks. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Do you know how to do that?

[***url=https://flic.kr/p/2enFdam][img***]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4903/46846627222_6cc3bf11ab_c.jpg[/img***][/url***][***url=https://flic.kr/p/2enFdam]Stormhaven Waymart[/url] by [***url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/143781863@N06/]North White[***/url], on Flickr

Two ways to do it: If you only want the pic and no link - delete everything that isn't inbetween the img and /img tags (leave the square brackets

If you want to only have the pic and link, (what most of us do) delete everything after the first /url tag. In this case it would look like this: (minus the *** I have added so it displays the link,

[***url=https://flic.kr/p/2enFdam][img***]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4903/46846627222_6cc3bf11ab_c.jpg[/img***][/url***]

That's a nice one, Mesabi! I like how you've built the roof with rotor blades, the angled pier looks amazing.:thumbup:

24369951161_932640e54d_t.jpg     Oh, look!  They've opened a Walmart in Stormhaven!

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg     EVERY DAY LOW PRICES!!!

24156803900_a3a468091d_t.jpg     That's WaYmart, not WaLmart, you stupid professor!

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg     ROLLBACK!!!

On 1/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Ayrlego said:

If you want to only have the pic and link, (what most of us do) delete everything after the first /url tag. In this case it would look like this: (minus the *** I have added so it displays the link,

Thanks Ayrlego! I was hoping there was a way to get the bb code to just not have the URL, but I guess not. :shrug_confused:

On 1/29/2019 at 8:20 AM, Bodi said:

That's a nice one, Mesabi! I like how you've built the roof with rotor blades, the angled pier looks amazing.:thumbup:

Thanks Bodi! 

And thanks to @pombe for his usual silliness. :laugh: Please stick around. 

I'm a little late on the train for this one, but I just want to chime in and say that this is probably your best build yet! I have nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but you should really be proud of this one!