mcphatty

[MOC] The Virago from Shadows of The Empire

Update: I’ve finished this one and added it to my micro fleet, instructions are here for anyone who might be interested...

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-35630/ron_mcphatty/micro-virago/#info

1920x2559.jpg

1920x1536.jpg

Original post:
I’ve loved the unusual look of this ship since I first saw a friend’s toy as a kid, and then got to play the game! I always thought it looked out of place in the Star Wars universe though, it reminds me more of Babylon 5 or even Star Trek. Anyway, here’s my mini version, it was tough to get a curve into the wings without adding lots of extra layers but I’m pleased with the shaping, also I may come back to this and make the guns rotate backwards like in the old game cutscenes but for now they’re fixed. I hope you enjoy it, all criticism is welcome and just in case anyone’s interested there’s a Bricklink link for parts and the model below.

6mLB9dE.jpg

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=74163

Edited by mcphatty
Updated with the final build (02/20) and instructions

1 hour ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

Very nice! I'm really starting like all these Midi-builds. Man, this makes me miss Lucasarts games.

Thanks! And me too, they were the foundation of my love for Star Wars growing up. I’ve got mini builds of the Mouldy Crow and Ebon Hawk in the works and I need to revisit my Falcon and Outrider to improve the proportions. After that I want to do a mini Rogue Shadow too but I’m sure I’m missing some classics, got any suggestions?

z3wiMaI.jpg

! really like your version of the Virago especially the wings.  Very "bug like". It is a bit bigger than I would like to build but I am not sure how it is possible to get it much smaller without losing the details.  Was a fan of SoTE back in the day and I think I still have the graphic novel somewhere.......... 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, obijon said:

! really like your version of the Virago especially the wings.  Very "bug like". It is a bit bigger than I would like to build but I am not sure how it is possible to get it much smaller without losing the details.  Was a fan of SoTE back in the day and I think I still have the graphic novel somewhere.......... 

Thanks mate! Yeah I was thinking of your minis when I started this, I began with the cockpit and after settling on the roof tilepieces they really dictated the overall scale. Mine is roughly the right size to go with my other mini mocs scaled around the Microfighter Falcon cockpit and any fighters that use a 1x1 slope as a cockpit so I’m very happy. I’m sure you could get the wings detailed enough at your scale with perhaps some utensil or weapon pieces? 

The basic Viper starfighter model it's based from is already an absolute beast; very nice rendition of this awesome prototype McPhatty.

Hey mcphatty!

I know this starfighter from the RTS Empire at War. I like your lean accurate design. Especially the cockpit looks great with those bricks.

Greetings Kommander

Thanks so much guys! Good to hear you like the cockpit, that was my starting point, coming across another moc using similar pieces helped a lot.

I’m working on a ‘properly’ scaled Millennium Falcon plus some other ships at the moment and I’m struggling to keep it to myself, so here’s a teaser...

0eYeCm4.jpg

14 hours ago, ShadowStrike said:

Doesn't look like your link works anymore.

Sorry, had some trouble with my Imgur and reposted a lot of pictures when old ones were deleted. The Falcon I’m on about is here...

Just a quick update to say I’ve finished this one, built it, and popped some instructions up on Rebrickable!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-35630/ron_mcphatty/micro-virago/#info

1920x1920.jpg

Shes a big old ship! Roughly to scale with the rest of my micro builds this is the largest I’ve built so far, a bit bigger than the Falcon thanks to those huge ‘wings’. She has a landing mode too with the guns folding back, more or less as they did in the game.

1920x1440.jpg

The Outrider is in the works (I promise), for now though I’m sinking my teeth into more mod instructions.

1920x1920.jpg