Dragunov2

75181 UCS Y-Wing Starfighter cockpit mod

Hi,

This is how far I am with the model now, without the cockpit mod, cause I'm waiting for the ordered pieces, ordered on bricklink

124wm0z.jpg

And this is a render with the changed cockpit

9a6983.jpg

As u can see u don't need to use any stickers on the front anymore. The yellow line is so a bit smaller, using a Curved Slope, 6 x 2 in the color yellow, than using both stickers on the front, to finish the front I bought two Curved Slope, 6 x 1 in the color white, replacing both Curved Slopes, 6 x 2 in the color white 

Edited by Dragunov2

It's ridiculous that Lego is so hesitant to include printed parts in sets that they boast as being top shelf quality. I usually leave my sets sticker-free, but it's always nice when a brick built solution can get close to the printed design. 

2 hours ago, SnowDog2112 said:

It's ridiculous that Lego is so hesitant to include printed parts in sets that they boast as being top shelf quality. I usually leave my sets sticker-free, but it's always nice when a brick built solution can get close to the printed design. 

Indeed.

Like most builds I change them to be more accurate, and most of the time it's just a piece swap or order some extra pieces.

If I can change it, so they they can, even much better than I'm able to!

I changed the London bus aswell, double wheels for the rear, instead of those single ones and a new front (grill, headlights,...)

VW Beetle here has now pedals aswell (clutch, brake, gas, same technic used as in the Caterham) and some minor changes

1 hour ago, kevin8 said:

I don't see any images...

Here they are perfect visible, strange!

Glad it's solved!

Much better solution, only the cockpit has stickers for now, maybe I gonna add them on the sides aswell, but at least the front is fixed

And my missing piece arrived by Lego.

I also did a little modification in the cockpit itself.

2ljhnqp.jpg

I moved the targetting on the other side, on the original build it's placed on the wrong side, in fact on the side of the X-Wing, but on the Y-wing, it's placed on the location I put it (small mod)

Also in every model I make, the Lego logo on the studs is placed in the same direction (where possibile of course).

So the Lego Logo on the 1x1 plate with the hinge for the targetting computer is now in the correct direction aswell, a nice little extra bonus by altering the way those is mounted

It's more time consuming than just build a structure, vehicle or whatever.

But in my modular buildings, when u enter a building u can read them all and are not upside down

Finished!

1zz48lx.jpg

25t8aoj.jpg

Y-Wing
Bandai%2BY%2BWing%2BFighter%2B72nd%2Bsca

X-Wing

targetingcomputer.jpg

So Lego had it completely wrong with this Y-Wing

LEGO-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collector-Series

Edited by Dragunov2

This is ace.

I don't suppose anyone has a System X-Wing (75218 preferred) they could photograph next to the UCS Y-Wing. I have the System scale Y-wing but it seems a touch too small. I think the UCS will be too big with the sweet spot looking like it should be half way between the two but curious either way.

7 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

And more, my stickers are fit completely to the edge, so there is no white gap

That's a must in my book.  Those corner ones work well at the edge.  I used the nose piece stickers too, but placed them tight to the edge as well there... look much better.  I do like the sloped tile version above with stripe better though.

I hate how short Lego cuts them back from the edges and how they always have a gap at a "continuous" sticker on the their model photos.  i suppose it makes it easier for kids to apply... less precision needed?  That's all i can think.

Indeed.

I never create own MOCs, but most of the time I change the original models.

So in fact this one is finished, up to the next one!

Your photos don't seem to display on tinypic.com anymore :sad: would it be possible if you could repost your photos as i really want to modify the cockpit of my ucs y-wing as well!