greg3

[MOC] Apocalypse Abe and The Emancipator

This weekend I got my hands on some of the new Lego Movie 2 CMFs. As one of them was the "Apocalypse Abraham Lincoln", I decided to create a post-apocalypse version of his rocket chair from the first movie. I went for a Steampunk theme to go with his new look and for a few hour's work, I think the result's not too bad.

I give you The Emancipator

46893869621_f8fc8a8e14_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I also came up with a little backstory for the pilot... Obviously he's not the real Abe Lincoln, he's actually a former history teacher who, following the DUPLO invasion, found himself living in Apocalypseburg. Like most of the town's citizens, he had heard of the horrors beyond the town's walls; the cat worshipping warrior women, the mutant swamp beasts, the rogue biker gangs and worse (not to mention the DUPLO aliens themselves). Unlike many of the other citizens though, he decided to do something about it. Creating a persona based on the original Abraham Lincoln, he set about bringing freedom to all with the help of his steam powered, lighter than air, balloon chair airship (there's a sentence I never thought I'd type!!). Named The Emancipator it takes him out across the desert wastelands in search of the weak and vulnerable who he guides back the the relative safety of Apocalypseburg. 

I like to try an imagine how such a craft might actually work and this is what I've come up with!! (complete with dodgy Steampunk pseudo-science!!)

Lift comes from spherical balloon filled with lighter than air gas..

46894213211_435539d3dd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

While the rear mounted steam driven propellor provides forward thrust...

31952505297_7568f67e02_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Heat from the firebox (the 2x1 black textured brick) heats the water in the rear most cylinders. The resulting steam is fed into the power unit where it drives a turbine and spins the drive shaft and the prop. The exhaust gases from the fire escape through the chimney while the steam condenses in the forward cylinders for reuse.

46893871941_17faf351cd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

For defence, The Emancipator is equipped with 2 "Faraday Cannons".

46893872351_92f742818c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The specially designed glass cylinder collects and stores atmospheric electricity. When needed this can be released as a powerful burst of lightning.

45979212275_2283b5796b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

31952505437_c5f8c04aec_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The craft is still a WIP, "Abe" hopes to continue to improve on the design (a larger hot-air version using the exhaust gases to fill the balloon is one idea, he is also looking to fit it with searchlights and enhanced vision equipment to allow it to operate at night) but for now, "Abe" and his craft remain a welcome sight for those pour souls trapped in the wastelands...

46893870161_ba67bb2803_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I have to say I really enjoyed this build. Having never built a Steampunk inspired model before it was good fun and we may see more of "Abe" and his adventures!!

Thanks for looking - comments are always welcome!!

Sweet! I love your usage of the two-part "planet shell" for the balloon; plus, the Pearl Gold "Bat Shield" repurposed as the craft's rudder is a great touch! :thumbup: :grin:

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

What did you use for the balloon part?

Thanks for the comments.... The balloon is the planet Bespin from the Star Wars Planet series (set 9678 Twin-Pod Cloud Car and Bespin)

I really like this! I myself have used those planet pieces as a steampunk hot-air balloon before (but it was very different than yours), but the other details about your little contraption I really appreciate--the Bat-Rudder among them. :wink: Well done :thumbup: