Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

13 hours ago, Toastie said:

More than one year and 24 pages later ...

Time for an intermediate result/executive summary:

Rotfl! The charme of forums, the heterogeneity of thinking. Anyway now I better understand why, according to another message, Lego pr dont participate to this forum anymore.

17 hours ago, Maple said:

Here's an idea, LEGO Sci-fi Space no longer sells. That simple. Alien Conquest last one year, it was supposed to last two. The whole second wave of which was canceled because of poor sales. Power Rangers in Space, I mean Galaxy Squad only lasted one year too. 

That's kinda the way LEGO Space has always been though. Introduce a new subtheme that lasts for one year or two at most, and then replace it with something else. It's not that those themes weren't selling, it's just the way they were planned to play out. 

There isn't any reasonable evidence to suggest that lack of sales is the the reason those themes got cancelled.

Edited by Lego David

On 2/17/2020 at 4:48 AM, jonwil said:

Come on LEGO, give me a ship that is as awesome as ships like the legendary Deep Freeze Defender and I will buy it day one and I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way.

IMO, the last big cool spaceship was 5974 Glactic Enforcer in 2009, but I liked the Same Police 3 sets not to mention the Alien Conquest stuff was super cool.

5974-1.jpg

51 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

IMO, the last big cool spaceship was 5974 Glactic Enforcer in 2009, but I liked the Same Police 3 sets not to mention the Alien Conquest stuff was super cool.

5974-1.jpg

I think the new Space Police was all over Space Opera instead of Sci-fi Space. There's a huge difference. Just take a look at that alien space-motorride. That is some +6 cartoon level.

Also humans being the only peacekeepers gave a bit of an imperialist ubermensch feeling to the theme. That's a space opera cliché again.

I'd take the Blade Runner vibe Space Police I lineup anytime.

Képtalálatok a következőre: lego space police I

I also prefer those more angled shapes over the round ones when it comes to Space Police.

Nexo Knights came closer to that in recent times with the cockpit pieces it used, while not the exact same shape (more triangular) it still looks very retro compared to rounded windshields.

Also the "space type wheels" helped giving it a more retro look on most land vehicles.

I hope they someday relaunch this part with the newer bar/clip connection : 

2507.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

8 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

I think the new Space Police was all over Space Opera instead of Sci-fi Space. There's a huge difference. Just take a look at that alien space-motorride. That is some +6 cartoon level.

Also humans being the only peacekeepers gave a bit of an imperialist ubermensch feeling to the theme. That's a space opera cliché again.

I'd take the Blade Runner vibe Space Police I lineup anytime.

Well, love it or hate it, this is the way modern LEGO Space looks. And if it will ever come back, it probably wouldn't be any different. Trust me, I love vintage space as much as you do... But personally, I would much rather have a Space theme like Space Police than no Space theme at all.

18 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Well, love it or hate it, this is the way modern LEGO Space looks. And if it will ever come back, it probably wouldn't be any different. Trust me, I love vintage space as much as you do... But personally, I would much rather have a Space theme like Space Police than no Space theme at all.

I agree with David here, Lego don’t rerelease sets, and it’s foolish to believe that

3 hours ago, astral brick said:

Anyway now I better understand why, according to another message, Lego pr dont participate to this forum anymore.

Ugh, can you imagine if they did? They’d be spammed with messages to cancel anything licensed! 

2 hours ago, Karalora said:

Just wanted to say, nice HHG reference!

@Karalora you know, Douglas Adams keeps me alive in this world. Particularly with his Trilogy of four books ... 

Just returning from a dissertation defense, where I happened to be the chair of the committee. Believe me, it always raises the spirits when you ask the candidate about his towel and a few pints of beer afterwards ...

All the best,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Asajki said:

I agree with David here, Lego don’t rerelease sets, and it’s foolish to believe that

No one was talking about that.

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

That's kinda the way LEGO Space has always been though. Introduce a new subtheme that lasts for one year or two at most, and then replace it with something else. It's not that those themes weren't selling, it's just the way they were planned to play out. 

There isn't any reasonable evidence to suggest that lack of sales is the the reason those themes got cancelled.

Totally agree.

Space not selling? Try finding Benny's Space Squad anywhere! It's the only set I never see anymore in stores. 

Every single set goes on sale if you wait long enough. I see licensed (including SW) sets on sale all the time. Mark downs don't prove anything. Neither does a theme only lasting a few years, like you said. 

This is just a made up nonsense argument backed up by nothing. 

25 minutes ago, danth said:

This is just a made up nonsense argument backed up by nothing

OK. Well - exactly your very bold statement holds true for

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

it's just the way they were planned to play out. 

It is the same type of nonsense argument backed up by nothing.

Other than your personal observations. Or observations of a few.

I wonder where you guys get your input from - to make such bold statements. Really interesting. You must have deep connections way into the company, and/or supernatural observation, analysis, and conclusion powers.

Before I write "made up nonsense argument" in any public room I better know for sure what kind of nonsense that is. You may be - I doubt that though.

Whatever.

Best
Thorsten

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

We won't have any evidence for anything until TLG chooses to give us some insight about their business methods.

Until then I'll be pragmatic and conclude if something does not sell they're just pulling the plug. I do believe they are operating things as simple as that.

14 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

We won't have any evidence for anything until TLG chooses to give us some insight about their business methods.

That is what I wanted to convey :angel_sing:

9 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

While I too wouldn't wish to see that "imperialist ubermensch" trope carry on over, I personally still wish to see a Space theme that fully embraces most of those old-fashioned Space Opera clichés even more so than Space Police III had done, especially in its overall tone and aesthetic style. I mean, would anyone here strongly object to an honest-to-goodness Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers inspired Space theme that's not Star Wars? :innocent:

al-williamson-flash-gordon-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Brandon Pea said:

What about Overwatch or Hidden Side? 

Hidden Side and Overwatch are already ending...

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Hidden Side and Overwatch are already ending...

I guess I should've figured that because I barely hear about them and there has been a log of talk about how they didn't sell well. 

33 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I guess I should've figured that because I barely hear about them and there has been a log of talk about how they didn't sell well. 

Hidden side sold fine in my opinions... though it's not a theme I particularly like or care about.

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

Tough question... but I'd go with Trolls...

Don't worry... Trolls was intended as just a one-off theme meant to make a quick buck. The line is gonna be completely retired before the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

What about Overwatch or Hidden Side? 

Overwatch already ended last year, and Hidden Side just got it's final wave of sets this summer. 

31 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Don't worry... Trolls was intended as just a one-off theme meant to make a quick buck. The line is gonna be completely retired before the end of the year. 

Great... let's just hope it doesn't revive...

I think the real problem for LEGO in regards to Space is that they don't want to do too much with it or have too many cool sets around because it would take sales away from their overpriced Star Wars line.

I bought the entire Alien Conquest line (which was very awesome) and a few of the Space Police sets (wishing I had been able to pick up that large base but I never did).

Galaxy Squad was crap.

I also bought both the Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP! and the Space Squad.

The last Star Wars set I bought was the 4+ A-Wing and that was bought on deep discount and only for parts (I wanted the pilot torso/legs for a fighter jet MOC) but I wouldn't have bought it without the deep discount because I think Star Wars is overpriced.

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

Galaxy Squad was crap

What are you talking about? Galaxy Squad was AWESOME. The sets and minifigures were fantastic IMO.