Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

2 hours ago, Asajki said:

I really don’t like Ninjago, I feel TLG is running out of ideas for it so I doubt it’ll survive the 2020’s

Imo, Ninjago stopped being awesome after 2017. Recently, they've started focusing more and more on vehicles than Japanese action and infrastructure. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I know this sounds heretic to a lot of fellow members but I say it: Star Wars

I think it is just plainly boring at this point. Same sets, same vechicles for 20 years now, almost done everything. There is always room for improvement for sure, but just looking at those Star Wars collections on shelves doing nothing except gathering dust feels senseless to me. I know it is not my wallet but I think more like a pop cultural collecting addiction is going on here and not a creative Lego experience. Like this collection:

Képtalálatok a következőre: lego star wars collection display

I just don't get this. Okay, huge dioramas and MOCs are cool indeed, but again it is just too much of a "Star Wars owns Lego" and not the opposite feeling to me.

I also dislike Minecraft. I think it is twisted in many ways: A computer game equivalent for Lego made into...Lego. So you have a kid who plays Minecraft all the time. Then gets Minecraft Lego sets well. So at least he/she is not playing on the computer all the time. Only building something in Lego which is actually just a smaller copy of the digital product. Then the Kid is going to run to play it out o the computer again. Maybe the parent should buy more Lego Minecraft to ease the addiction. Okay, I'm just being provocative, but still. I think the whole Minecraft milking thing is twisted.

Lastly: Lego Batman. I also dislike the idea of a new batman movie coming. I just don't get what is still there to tell with that poor character again. What is that something that has not been revealed so far so we need to rape the character again and again?

Edited by Medzomorak

I think the new Cyberpunk-esque Ninjago stuff (with those arcade cabinets and the gamers market and stuff) are a breath of fresh air for the theme.

I do agree there is too much focus on vehicles. But at the same time, vehicles are what sell (and what kids want) so LEGO keeps making them.

18 minutes ago, jonwil said:

But at the same time, vehicles are what sell (and what kids want) so LEGO keeps making them.

But must it be done by going against the origin of what certain themes are about? Notice how when Ninjago first came.....it wasn't about vehicles. 

It's not like City, in which it was brought up as a theme in which vehicles is a thing. 

56 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

I know it is not my wallet but I think more like a pop cultural collecting addiction is going on here and not a creative Lego experience

Phew, that photograph is ... strange indeed. At least to me.

However: Collecting means just that: Get them all. The entire motivation to collect - and have them all - is to have them all. Complete. I will never get it, but that is not up to me. I do things other people will never get. So when it is a collection, it is that. The creativity is then something other than what you and I feel as such.

With regard to the doing it over and over again, there is another thing though. I learned that here on EB, can't find the thread nor the message. Star Wars is appealing to kids, adults, people older than dirt. Lets focus on the younger: They may want a Falcon. Or whatever appearing in whatever Episode. Old sets are not available anymore - and maybe since years or decades ... so TLG re-releases them - improved. I can see that for sure.

All the best,
Thorsten

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

But must it be done by going against the origin of what certain themes are about? Notice how when Ninjago first came.....it wasn't about vehicles. 

The line is about a group of Ninjas battling various evils. And the vehicle themed sets are still portraying that. So I’d argue that the newer sets are developing rather than going against the origin. 

22 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

It's not like City, in which it was brought up as a theme in which vehicles is a thing. 

Eight out of forty sets in 2011 featured vehicles and/or dragons. Fourteen out of thirty-two sets in 2019 featured vehicles, dragons, and/or mechs.  It's a whopper of a stretch to say that Ninjago didn't start out with a lot of vehicles, but I suppose it's true that the proportion of vehicles, dragons, and mechs to locations and spinners was higher in 2019 than in 2011.

@icm Exactly! Dragons was Ninjago's thing. They should've kept it that way. 

When I say vehicles, I meant with wheels. That's City's thing. Let us City fans have vehicles on lock. :wink:

Sometimes changing something is just stupid and pointless. Right now, I could compare most of what Lego does with its iconic themes to the horrible atrocities that Mattel has done to Thomas. 

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think the new Cyberpunk-esque Ninjago stuff (with those arcade cabinets and the gamers market and stuff) are a breath of fresh air for the theme.

I do agree there is too much focus on vehicles. But at the same time, vehicles are what sell (and what kids want) so LEGO keeps making them.

Me too, I love them. I already have the Gamer’s Market & I plan on getting Empire Temple of Madness, Empire Dragon, and the Arcade Pods. 

2 hours ago, icm said:

Eight out of forty sets in 2011 featured vehicles and/or dragons. Fourteen out of thirty-two sets in 2019 featured vehicles, dragons, and/or mechs.  It's a whopper of a stretch to say that Ninjago didn't start out with a lot of vehicles, but I suppose it's true that the proportion of vehicles, dragons, and mechs to locations and spinners was higher in 2019 than in 2011.

‘19 also had 12 more sets than the ‘11 wave. 

13 hours ago, Asajki said:

I really don’t like Ninjago, I feel TLG is running out of ideas for it so I doubt it’ll survive the 2020’s

I never thought I would say this, but I kinda agree. Ninjago has gotten repetitive and boring with both the sets and the story. But, kids still love it and it sells very well, so it's not going anywhere any time soon.  

9 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

I know this sounds heretic to a lot of fellow members but I say it: Star Wars

I think it is just plainly boring at this point. Same sets, same vechicles for 20 years now, almost done everything. There is always to improve something for sure, but just looking at those Star Wars collection on shelves doing nothing just gathering dust feels senseless to me. I know it is not my wallet but I think more like a pop cultural collecting addiction is going on here and not a creative Lego experience. Like this collection:

Képtalálatok a következőre: lego star wars collection display

I just don't get this. Okay, huge dioramas and MOCs are cool indeed, but again it is just too much of a "Star Wars owns Lego" and not the opposite feeling to me.

I also dislike Minecraft. I think it is twisted in many ways: A computer game equivalent for Lego made into...Lego. So you have a kid who plays Minecraft all the time. Then gets Minecraft Lego sets well. So at least he/she is not playing on the computer all the time. Only building something in Lego which is actually just a smaller copy of the digital product. Then the Kid is going to run to play it out o the computer again. Maybe the parent should buy more Lego Minecraft to ease the addiction. Okay, I'm just being provocative, but still. I think the whole Minecraft milking thing is twisted.

Lastly: Lego Batman. I also dislike the idea of a new batman movie coming. I just don't get what is still there to tell with that poor character again. What is that something that has not been revealed so far so we need to rape the character again and again?

I also agree with everything said here. Those three really need to go away, but, sadly, they are selling well, so they aren't going anywhere either. I am honestly surprised that LEGO Minecraft is still so popular... 

8 hours ago, Tariq j said:

The line is about a group of Ninjas battling various evils. And the vehicle themed sets are still portraying that. So I’d argue that the newer sets are developing rather than going against the origin. 

Ninjago originally stared with minor Sci-Fi elements, and only the villains had vehicles. The Ninjas only had dragons. It wouldn't be until the 2nd wave that vehicles completely took over the theme. 

To this day, my favorite Ninjago wave is the first one because of that.

Edited by Lego David

I agree with the suggestion that Star Wars needs to either change or go away.

Star Wars is the reason we haven't had a half-decent Space theme in about a decade and a genuinely GOOD space theme in more than 2 decades.

Come on LEGO, give me a ship that is as awesome as ships like the legendary Deep Freeze Defender and I will buy it day one and I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way.

4 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Star Wars is the reason we haven't had a half-decent Space theme in about a decade and a genuinely GOOD space theme in more than 2 decades.

What do you mean? Space Police, Galaxy Squad, Mars Mission and Alien Conquest aren't genuinely good to you? 

Mars Mission was nowhere near as good as Life on Mars (in no small part due to those ugly trans-green aliens).

Galaxy squad was just crap all around.

Alien Conquest was what I was talking about under "half-decent" (its the only recent Space theme I have actually bought from although I came close to buying the big Space Police base just for parts)

5 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Mars Mission was nowhere near as good as Life on Mars (in no small part due to those ugly trans-green aliens).

Be careful with such statements... A lot of people (myself included) really love those themes.

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

Alien Conquest was what I was talking about under "half-decent" (its the only recent Space theme I have actually bought from although I came close to buying the big Space Police base just for parts)

Are you just looking on with nostalgia goggles? LOM was at the same time as Star Wars anyway so that point is incorrect… 

In fact we’ve had ninety space sets since Star Wars began! And I’m 100% sure there’ll be at least one castle theme, one space theme and one pirate theme in the 2020’s, just like there was last decade 

I also find your statement to be begging and choosing, you say you dislike modern space themes yet you yearn to have Space back? Lego themes change over time because children change over time…

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Be careful with such statements... A lot of people (myself included) really love those themes.

I kind of agree, it’s why I don’t talk as much on World City anymore 

I’m also a sucker for Star Wars and City (Two of the main themes I collected as a kid) so some of the hate towards them I often find to be unjustified 

Edited by Asajki

@Asajki I agree! I kinda liked Alien Conquest. I actually have some of those sets. 

"BREAKING NEWS!!!! Aliens have taken over Brandville! Calling the alien squad!"

Edited by Brandon Pea

Those themes could end right now and I wouldn't mind:

• Star Wars
  • Disney
  • Harry Potter
  • Marvel / DC Superheroes
  • Minecraft
  • Overwatch 
  • Jurassic World
  • Brickheadz
  • Architecture

There's more then that but at that point it'd just be a list of everything but a few themes I actually buy.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

• Architecture

Architecture was my favorite theme while coming out of my Dark Age. It was really about unique architectures (especially those 100 years old anno-futuristic house designs), now it is just a very expensive skyline series. Totally agree.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

• Star Wars
  • Disney
  • Harry Potter
  • Marvel / DC Superheroes
  • Minecraft
  • Overwatch 
  • Jurassic World
  • Brickheadz
  • Architecture

There's more then that but at that point it'd just be a list of everything but a few themes I actually buy.

Yeah! Not really a fan of Flesh toned minifigs. I personally couldn't care less if they discontinued those. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

16 hours ago, Toastie said:

They may want a Falcon. Or whatever appearing in whatever Episode. Old sets are not available anymore - and maybe since years or decades ...

They still keep making sets that no kid wants though, like Sand Crawlers. A Sand Crawler is just a big ugly brown box. It's just a throwaway background design from a 40 year old movie. It wasn't in the prequels or the sequels.

I guarantee you that there's not a kid in the world that wants that set. Kids want spaceships from the newer movies. It's really only for adult SW collectors who want to upgrade their old Sand Crawler. So it's actually a super niche set, and it only exists because the SW fan base is so reliable at throwing money at anything SW.

It's pretty sad really. Lego is taking the easy money and as a result we don't get fresh, creative, colorful non-licensed space sets, and won't as long as there is a licensed alternative.

This is why I hope the SW movies continue to suck. Maybe they'll finally go away forever.

9 minutes ago, danth said:

They still keep making sets that no kid wants though, like Sand Crawlers. A Sand Crawler is just a big ugly brown box. It's just a throwaway background design from a 40 year old movie. It wasn't in the prequels or the sequels.

I guarantee you that there's not a kid in the world that wants that set. Kids want spaceships from the newer movies. It's really only for adult SW collectors who want to upgrade their old Sand Crawler. So it's actually a super niche set, and it only exists because the SW fan base is so reliable at throwing money at anything SW.

It's pretty sad really. Lego is taking the easy money and as a result we don't get fresh, creative, colorful non-licensed space sets, and won't as long as there is a licensed alternative.

This is why I hope the SW movies continue to suck. Maybe they'll finally go away forever.

Woah now, keep in mind Lego have only made 3 Sandcrawlers, that’s what one every seven years, very little time 

24 minutes ago, danth said:

Lego is taking the easy money and as a result we don't get fresh, creative, colorful non-licensed space sets, and won't as long as there is a licensed alternative.

Lego does what they want. That's how they do things. 

Other times, we don't get awesome stuff because there are times when Lego only listens to KFOLs and what they want to see. 

Sometimes when someone on Eurobricks says "You don't know the limitations the designers are under", that's usually one of the things to consider: The fact that sometimes, they only have the time to listen to KFOLs. Not us AFOLs. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

29 minutes ago, danth said:

I was hoping for the exact same thing. But even with bad movies, there are still shows like the Clone Wars or Mandalorian... And as long as those exist, Star Wars isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I was hoping for the exact same thing. But even with bad movies, there are still shows like the Clone Wars or Mandalorian... And as long as those exist, Star Wars isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

You literally said ‘I hope a franchise fails so Lego doesn’t make money from it’ 

That is a very silly thing to say, I’ll use your own advice here

7 hours ago, Lego David said: