Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

Screw Eurobricks! I should be able to express my disapproval with being harassed. 

Just now, Ronan54 said:

There was a Castle theme in 2013 which pulled to look a lot like its classic counterpart and it just endured a year, same with the Pirates theme in 2015. So, lego GAVE that chance to the classic Castle and Pirate theme to shine but, unfortunately, kids didn't pay attention to them.

We're talking about City sets. Any arguments regarding Castle or Pirates are irrelevant. Bugger off! 

27 minutes ago, pooda said:

Screw Eurobricks! I should be able to express my disapproval with being harassed. 

You can express your disapproval about everything you want, but don't expect everybody to be agree with you

Just now, Ronan54 said:

You can express your disapproval about everything you want, but don't expect everybody to be agree with you

There is a difference between agreeing with someone and harassing them. Any time I say something against the overwhelming majority of police sets and the irrelevance of explorers themes, you, KotZ, MAB and Ly are always there. Go away. 

28 minutes ago, pooda said:

There is a difference between agreeing with someone and harassing them. Any time I say something against the overwhelming majority of police sets and the irrelevance of explorers themes, you, KotZ, MAB and Ly are always there. Go away. 

So, you're technically saying that KotZ, MAB and I shouldn't express our disagreement in your opinion but you can express yours

Just now, Ronan54 said:

So, you're technically saying that KotZ, MAB and I shouldn't express our disagreement in your opinion but you can express yours

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I was initially making an observation. You could've just kept your mouth shut. Then this entire thread wouldn't have been about me. 

What part of get off my back do you not understand? 

Edited by pooda

38 minutes ago, pooda said:

We're talking about City sets. Any arguments regarding Castle or Pirates are irrelevant. Bugger off! 

You replied a lego davis's comment wich said that he wasn't totally sure about if todays kids would enjoy a theme in wich they weren't around (he didn't say wich one specific) and you said that certain themes haven't even been given a "fair" chance. My point was that there were themes of the past wich did have a chance to be bestsellers again, but that kids just didn't care for

Edited by Ronan54

Just now, pooda said:

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I was initially making an observation. You could've just kept your mouth shut. Then this entire thread wouldn't have been about me. 

What part of get off my back do you not understand? 

I think that most of us agree that there are an overflow of police and police-like subthemes for CITY, but that is what sells to kids and seemingly what kids want. Your other ideas and themes are valid, but the market data just does not support making these themes or spinning off things like explorers or space into their own themes at this time.

28 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I think that most of us agree that there are an overflow of police and police-like subthemes for CITY, but that is what sells to kids and seemingly what kids want. Your other ideas and themes are valid, but the market data just does not support making these themes or spinning off things like explorers or space into their own themes at this time.

Excatly

1 hour ago, pooda said:

EXACTLY!!!!! My other point is that certain things haven't even been given a fair chance. Police sets get plenty of chances because they get a new darn police theme released every year. Subthemes that I believe have potential like a News subtheme or a Metro Transit subtheme aren't even given a fair chance. The latter two can only be seen in traces and so far, only two sets have ever been released that really showcase the transit system and those are sets number 8404 and 60154. 

Metro / transit has been given a chance. In the past six years we have had these (in addition to trains). LEGO will know how many of them sold, and whether they are a good seller. You've gone back to 2010 to select 8404, but there have been other similar sets since then.

60154-1.jpg?201705110907

60097-1.jpg?201505190851

60026-1.jpg?201304141249

60031-1.jpg?201306030324

As for a news subtheme, I somehow doubt 5-12 year old kids are interested in an entire subtheme. Bits and pieces in sets, maybe, but not a whole theme on it. We have had a few news reporters in sets, from Alien Conquest, to City, to Spiderman, to Ninjago. That said, they could always do a helicopter with a pilot and journalist as an eye in the sky style set. That would make an ideal city set, and another way to badge a helicopter.

Edited by MAB

28 minutes ago, pooda said:

@KotZ You mean City is not supporting it? 

Meaning that what research is being done shows to Lego’s internal departments that these subthemes in City for things like transport, news, etc. are not viable enough to have multiple sets dedicated to it at this time. Police and its various sub themes are what sells right now. And making independent themes for explorers, space, and all of the other sub themes that you say don’t belong in city isn’t viable either right now, so they throw a few in City. 

As MAB said bits and pieces in sets work for things like news, but full blown sets may not be interesting to kids. Kids are story driven in play, and that’s why starting with Bionicle (I think) themes became very story based, even as simple as “cops and robbers.”

1 minute ago, KotZ said:

And making independent themes for explorers, space, and all of the other sub themes that you say don’t belong in city isn’t viable either right now, so they throw a few in City. 

I actually stand corrected on the explorers themes. If you look at the following links, you'll see that they were always part of Town/City. They were just subsidiaries or spin off themes. 

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Arctic

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Divers

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Port

But I'm holding my own in regards to the police themes. 

Edited by pooda

Just now, pooda said:

I actually stand corrected on the explorers themes. If you look at the following links, you'll see that they were always part of Town/City. They were just subsidiaries or spin off themes. 

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Arctic

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Divers

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Port

But I'm holding my own in regards to the police themes. 

I think originally you might have been mixing up Adventurers/Johnny Thunder for those, so no worries either way. Now if they put things like Pharaoh’s Quest under City, then that would be an issue and no to make sense. City is clearly supposed to be a grounded realistic type of theme. 

2 hours ago, Ronan54 said:

There was a Castle theme in 2013 wich pulled to look a lot like its classic counterpart and it just endured a year, same with the Pirates theme in 2015. So, lego GAVE that chance to the classic Castle and Pirate theme to shine but, unforunately, kids didn't pay attention to them

I think that was because they were overshadowed by other themes at the time, and LEGO didn't give them enough advertising. Seriously, I don't remember seeing any promotional material for Pirates 2015. It was just kinda there, and nothing else. If they want those themes to sell, just give them their own TV Series, and kids will like it. After all, it worked for Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights, why wouldn't it work for Pirates or Castle?

29 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I think that was because they were overshadowed by other themes at the time, and LEGO didn't give them enough advertising. Seriously, I don't remember seeing any promotional material for Pirates 2015. It was just kinda there, and nothing else. If they want those themes to sell, just give them their own TV Series, and kids will like it. After all, it worked for Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights, why wouldn't it work for Pirates or Castle?

While I agree in the part where lego didn't make enough promotion for those themes and that make them Big Bang style themes would make them more succesful, I don't think that others themes were a problem back then. Because if the Ninjago theme can sell with no problem while sharing shelves with, say, Star Wars without one overshadowing the another one, why is impossible that the same thing happen to the classic themes? I don't see how get rid of a theme(s) because it gets more attention than another one would be a solution

17 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I think that was because they were overshadowed by other themes at the time, and LEGO didn't give them enough advertising.

The same thing would probably happen if they did completely separate arctic or jungle or any other similar City subtheme as a standalone theme without the City branding. City doesn't need really need much advertising. It is one of the core LEGO brands, probably the core in-house brand that many people think of when they think of LEGO, especially minifigure based LEGO sets. Having the City logo on the box helps parents and grandparents decide whether to buy or not - the logos matter much more to adults than to kids. If the kid is into City, then having the City logo is reassurance that the kid will like this set too.

26 minutes ago, Lego David said:

If they want those themes to sell, just give them their own TV Series, and kids will like it. After all, it worked for Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights, why wouldn't it work for Pirates or Castle?

Because TV series cost money. And it is not as simple as just give them a TV series as they cannot do a TV series for everything. If they did a LEGO pirates TV series in 2015, it would have had to compete for airtime and kids viewing figures with Chima (which was just finishing) and Nexo Knights (which was just starting). Plus it would also be competing with other pirate TV series at the same time, like Jake and the Neverland Pirates. LEGO had a DUPLO series based on that at the same time, so they may well have wanted to steer clear of in-house pirate sets and cartoons aimed at the younger LEGO fan to avoid conflict there. They could have tried to aim it at an older age group, say 10+, but they are less likely to want to watch the cartoons compared to younger viewers. Also the TV series do not work well for sales figures in all countries, as there are language problems and also toy advertising regulations that they need to comply with.

On that last statement, we can all agree! The way to success of a product is through proper advertisement and promotion. That's why awesome sets like the 60154 Bus Station and the 60204 Hospital didn't sell well. I think action packed mini movies based on those sets would've helped them. Yeah, it would be a little expensive, but it would've been worth it in the end if it brought in customers. 

For the 60154 Bus Station, I would've recommended a mini movie that would be similar to the 1994 film, Speed. The plot would be that the bus malfunctions and the driver has 10 minutes to transfer the civilians and himself onto another bus in a safe and timely manner before the bus explodes (or deconstructs in Lego terms) into pieces. 

For the 60204 Hospital, more emphasis would've probably been on the ambulance and helicopter than the hospital building itself as the helicopter drops the patient from the stretcher and the ambulance driver has to catch him so that she can take him to the hospital. 

The mini movies and various advertisements is why certain sets (like police) sells. There are also promotions like stickers, activity books and backpacks. That's also why. So that's why I tell people like you to stop blaming the interests of little boys. Its Lego's fault because that's what they are putting the faces of little boys. 

Also, if they had particular teams of people working on particular themes, there wouldn't be so much chaos as to what Lego can or can't do. Whatever revenue is collected on certain sets goes to the team that makes those particular Lego sets. 

18 minutes ago, pooda said:

For the 60154 Bus Station, I would've recommended a mini movie that would be similar to the 1994 film, Speed. The plot would be that the bus malfunctions and the driver has 10 minutes to transfer the civilians and himself onto another bus in a safe and timely manner before the bus explodes (or deconstructs in Lego terms) into pieces.

LEGO danger tends to occur where people are not likely to be harmed. So fires tend to happen in trash cans, unoccupied buildings, trees and so on rather in populated buildings. I cannot see LEGO suggesting to kids as young as 5 that a bus might explode while they are on it - there would be outrage from parents if they were to publish something like that for small children. And surely the simple answer in case of a malfunction (rather than a bomb) is to stop the bus and let the people off.

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

LEGO danger tends to occur where people are not likely to be harmed. So fires tend to happen in trash cans, unoccupied buildings, trees and so on rather in populated buildings. I cannot see LEGO suggesting to kids as young as 5 that a bus might explode while they are on it - there would be outrage from parents if they were to publish something like that for small children. And surely the simple answer in case of a malfunction (rather than a bomb) is to stop the bus and let the people off.

Well there has to be something they could've done to push that set. Sheesh! 

After all, there was one mini-movie where a lady was literally inside of a building when it was on fire. It was in Lights! Camera! Action! Besides, you don't think children wouldn't get scared when they are in a bank and it could get robbed at anytime? 

Edited by pooda

15 minutes ago, pooda said:

Well there has to be something they could've done to push that set. Sheesh! 

After all, there was one mini-movie where a lady was literally inside of a building when it was on fire. It was in Lights! Camera! Action! Besides, you don't think children wouldn't get scared when they are in a bank and it could get robbed at anytime? 

In the heist set, there aren't children or any people inside the bank. There aren't any bank workers at all - just cops and robbers. I guess this must take place out of business hours, when there is nobody around to be hurt by a bulldozer smashing into a building.

$_32.JPG?set_id=89040003C1

Many police sets are like that and in the associated media, the robbers tend to get caught. I doubt LEGO wants to send out a message that crime can pay in their stories.

@MAB Well screw it! I still think they were lazy in promoting certain sets that they made. Maybe instead of correcting me on everything, have the balls to come up with ideas on how they can be promoted. And stop quoting what I say. Mention me instead. 

8 minutes ago, pooda said:

And stop quoting what I say. Mention me instead. 

No, I will use the quote feature.

9 minutes ago, pooda said:

Maybe instead of correcting me on everything, have the balls to come up with ideas on how they can be promoted.

I don't care how they are promoted, and in fact I don't think City needs promoting in more depth than it already is. It does very well as it is and it has remained a core best seller for many years. Advertising can go on newer, more experimental themes. The City sets are simple enough not to need cartoons to tell the child what might happen, since they are based on real life type situations / vehicles / characters, then these do not need fleshing out further. Based on other threads about storylines being imposed via media, for every AFOL wanting more depth given to the characters and more advertising there is probably another two that want to go back t the olden days where LEGO was about creativity and imagination, when we didn't need to be told the names of characters or what the storyline is and children knew how to use their imagination.

16 minutes ago, pooda said:

@MAB Well screw it! I still think they were lazy in promoting certain sets that they made. Maybe instead of correcting me on everything, have the balls to come up with ideas on how they can be promoted. And stop quoting what I say. Mention me instead. 

I would suggest more sets with playable features for the more “boring” ideas. Maybe the bus has folding things for bikes, at the most basic.

also quoting and mentioning do the same thing, but quoting allows people to point out what they are referring to.