Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

10 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

What about the Nexo Minions? :devil:

Don't hurt the poor Squirebots :sarcasm:  , especially Cyberbyter Dennis :alien:

Anyway, as for Minions or Trolls, I need to see the sets first before judgement, no plan to see the movies however.

Edited by TeriXeri

54 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Minions.

I imagine they are already planned to be discontinued, in 2020.

It's funny to see people wishing for a theme to be discontinued before it's introduced, not to mention before we have info about even a single one of its sets. Meanwhile, people lament that LEGO gave up on licensed themes like The Lord of the Rings, Scooby-Doo, Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean (as well as non-licensed themes like Pirates, Monster Fighters, and Castle) so abruptly!

On 6/3/2019 at 7:43 PM, TeriXeri said:

Anyway, as for Minions or Trolls, I need to see the sets first before judgement, no plan to see the movies however.

Agreed. You never know, these sets could bring some interesting new pieces or part recolours...

3 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

Agreed. You never know, these sets could bring some interesting new pieces or part recolours...

Imagine if the setting for the next Minions movie was some sort of huge, elaborate castle with printed heraldry... :wink:

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Imagine if the setting for the next Minions movie was some sort of huge, elaborate castle with printed heraldry... :wink:

Or a minions modular :grin:

In fact (although I kind of doubt it) they could make a sort of Arkham-Asylum-style flagship minions set, like a minions base or whatever they have in the movie...

22 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Imagine the complaints if the setting for the next Minions movie was some sort of huge, elaborate castle with printed heraldry... Minions keeping Classic Castle off the shelves.

55 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I'm completely lost here now. We're talking about those yellow things from despicable me? Or something else?

Yeah, LEGO are doing sets for the new movie next year.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, Lyichir said:

It would probably turn out like that Angry Birds castle set.  As in, not worth it.

45 minutes ago, x105Black said:

It would probably turn out like that Angry Birds castle set.  As in, not worth it.

That was pretty much spot on for the source material though!

22 hours ago, MAB said:

That was pretty much spot on for the source material though!

I'm sure it was, but it surely wasn't anything I was interested in as a Castle fan.

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

In relation to previous discussion here regarding Star Wars, I thought I might share this recent article from Bloomberg...

Bloomberg - Star Wars Is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

That article seems to be more focused on the lack of people going to the theme park Galaxy's Edge rather than Star Wars as a whole. And the fall in Toy sales they've talked about seem to be aimed at Hasbro specifically rather than LEGO. 

Edited by Tariq j

On 6/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, Aanchir said:

It's funny to see people wishing for a theme to be discontinued before it's introduced, not to mention before we have info about even a single one of its sets. Meanwhile, people lament that LEGO gave up on licensed themes like The Lord of the Rings, Scooby-Doo, Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean (as well as non-licensed themes like Pirates, Monster Fighters, and Castle) so abruptly!

Trolls and Minions are very unnecessary themes that people didn't really wanted. So it's no wander they want them to be discontinued already. Plus the fact that they would probably be 4+ sets aimed at very young kids, having no appeal whatsoever to AFOLs.

15 hours ago, Lego David said:

Trolls and Minions are very unnecessary themes that people didn't really wanted. So it's no wander they want them to be discontinued already. Plus the fact that they would probably be 4+ sets aimed at very young kids, having no appeal whatsoever to AFOLs.

Who are you to say nobody wanted them? I've seen plenty of enthusiasm for them on sites like Facebook, not only from parents whose kids enjoy those brands, but even from some of my AFOL friends who regularly attend events like BrickFair.

And "unnecessary" is an absurd reason to think a kids' toyline shouldn't exist. ANY new theme can be considered "unnecessary" by virtue of the LEGO Group and their target audience having done just fine BEFORE that theme existed. That doesn't somehow mean that LEGO should stop making new themes entirely…

If they do turn out to be 4+ themes aimed at very young kids, that just makes it all the sillier for AFOLs to complain about them. Imagine if I started saying Duplo should be discontinued because it's a huge, costly theme I have no personal interest in! What part of an opinion that ridiculously self-centered and narrow-minded would have any value to anybody?

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And "unnecessary" is an absurd reason to think a kids' toyline shouldn't exist. ANY new theme can be considered "unnecessary" by virtue of the LEGO Group and their target audience having done just fine BEFORE that theme existed. That doesn't somehow mean that LEGO should stop making new themes entirely…

Hello Aanchir. Instead of calling people's opinions absurd, why don't you share yours? Do YOU like the idea of Minions Lego sets? Are YOU excited for Trolls Lego sets?

Personally, I'm not excited. And I can't image anyone wanting Trolls sets, or even wanting to see the movie. They're ugly dolls that were a minor fad in the 80's that people only remember to ridicule.  

3 hours ago, danth said:

Hello Aanchir. Instead of calling people's opinions absurd, why don't you share yours? Do YOU like the idea of Minions Lego sets? Are YOU excited for Trolls Lego sets?

Personally, I'm not excited. And I can't image anyone wanting Trolls sets, or even wanting to see the movie. They're ugly dolls that were a minor fad in the 80's that people only remember to ridicule.  

Well, this theme isn’t based on the dolls from back then, they’re based on the new movies. The first one that grossed nearly $350 million worldwide. And it’s getting a sequel, so I imagine there’s plenty of people who would want them. 

As an AFOL, the idea of it being a theme doesn’t really excite me, at least until I see the sets, because I had no interest in the movie. But the sets could be good, just gotta wait. It could be a fun theme. 

I am hoping that Trolls will result in some new instruments, so while I am not looking forward to it, per se, I am interested to see what results from the product. As music was integral to the first film (I have never watched it, but the Anna Kendrick led songs were unfairly catchy when I heard them played on the radio/in shops) most likely it will feature in the sequel. Also, the colours are vibrant and interesting. As a fan ofChris Foss' spaceship style and those of his contemporaries, I like to have a lot of brilliant colours to use in my SF builds.

As for Minions, well, rayguns and technology feature in the world of the minions, so there is a hope that a 4+ set (which, lets be honest, 4+ is the most likely audience) will have printed control panels and computers. 

I am aware that LEGO is its own biggest competitor amongst the themes which does mean that they try and avoid overlap in themes, or making a line that would take sales from another product line. However, what we should be aware of is the fact that the market of children today are not the children we were and we are not the market for the likes of Trolls and Minions.

We, as Adults, are the market for the Creator Expert, Architecture and D2C sets, the niche Ideas sets that court pop-culture. Yeah, AFOLs already like LEGO and it is not fun when things we like are seemingly sidelined. But we do not make the main bulk of the income for TLG, so we get nice nods like the Space Squad full of classic space figures and "easter egg" inclusions in the CMF series of Wolfpack, Blacktron and others.

Those who seem intent on collecting and displaying sets are those who act most let down though, I find. Even though the whole point of LEGO is creativity? So any theme and any set, a PaB wall and the online PaB can supply parts to build what you really want.

But then people also do not want to create and share anymore, so it looks like from the forum and activity on other portals popular with AFOLs. Everyone just wants to argue about what they hate most and why TLG should listen to them and do exactly what they want. Or, alternatively, the leakers are all aiming for infamy by getting out pictures or rumours first and people talk in circles about new stuff. 

I guess what I am trying to get at is: Sit with a box of parts and create something instead of sitting around moaning about things that haven't even happened yet? It is a lot less depressing.

Depending on how they do them, I might be in the market for a few Minions and probably some Trolls for parts.

20 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Well, this theme isn’t based on the dolls from back then, they’re based on the new movies. The first one that grossed nearly $350 million worldwide. And it’s getting a sequel, so I imagine there’s plenty of people who would want them. 

Shows how much I know. A Dreamworks movie with big name voice actors is probably going to be good, no matter what it's about.

I still think it's a weird choice for Lego, unlike Minions which seems to be pretty popular.

Minecraft, Star Wars, City Police that isn't in the City (Like the air cops), Brickheads, Speed Champs, anything based on a useless one off movie aka Angry Birds.

However they don't need to end Star Wars just release sets during a new movie, or redo one movie a year. Minecraft they seem to be slowing down which is good to stretch it out. It's like when Chima was around, there were like 35 sets a year. Like LEGO is like "If we throw enough at children they will like 1-2 of the 50 sets". Just slow down. More so because the quality of the bricks and the printing has been garbage the last couple years.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, Lego David said:

1. Hello David, nice to see you again 

2. Kids like non licensed themes, Star Wars has lasted 20 years! DC has lasted 7 years! Marvel has lasted 7 years too! Other than ninjago, no story theme is really able to say that…