Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Lego has endured as a product but it's had it's moments of near collapse. They've had to adapt and have done it in the most spectacular way by now sitting at the top of the toy world. The licenses they now hold and the relationship with those license holders are now an important part of what keeps them there.

As much as I am against licensed themes, I never said all of them should be completely removed. They do help the market to move forward... and they do sell well... but when it's to much... it's to much. Back in 2009, we only had like three licensed themes: Star Wars, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones (correct me if I am missing anything) and nobody had any problem. But nowdays what we mostly get are random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

Trolls World Tour, probably

Yes, this. Seriously, if I ask a kid what LEGO theme he would like, and he replied 'Trolls' then I guess I no longer deserve to live on this planet. Sure, maybe for something like How to Train your Dragon, but not Trolls. 

What I (and most other people complaining here) want is not to for all licensed themes to be discontinued. No. Just the unnecessary ones, such as this upcoming Trolls one. You can keep Star Wars, DC, Marvel and maybe one or two more, but all the rest should be discontinued. No Minecraft, no Overwatch no Trolls or anything else unnecessary like those. People are demanding for more in-house themes, whether that is new or returning themes, not random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

Edited by Lego David

13 minutes ago, Lego David said:

As much as I am against licensed themes, I never said all of them should be completely removed. They do help the market to move forward... and they do sell well... but when it's to much... it's to much. Back in 2009, we only had like three licensed themes: Star Wars, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones (correct me if I am missing anything) and nobody had any problem. But nowdays what we mostly get are random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

Yes, this. Seriously, if I ask a kid what LEGO theme he would like, and he replied 'Trolls' then I guess I no longer deserve to live on this planet. Sure, maybe for something like How to Train your Dragon, but not Trolls. 

What I (and most other people complaining here) want is not to for all licensed themes to be discontinued. No. Just the unnecessary ones, such as this upcoming Trolls one. You can keep Star Wars, DC, Marvel and maybe one or two more, but all the rest should be discontinued. No Minecraft, no Overwatch no Trolls or anything else unnecessary like those. People are demanding for more in-house themes, whether that is new or returning themes, not random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

I would probably agree about the amount of themes that pop up. Personally I could have lived without the Simpsons sets, or even the Ghostbusters sets (even though I think both Ghostbusters sets are excellent). We've also had things like Angry Birds that I'm not entirely sure of the impact or benefit of. But for whatever reason Lego have looked at the business case and thought them worthwhile.

I'm not a completist of any sort when it comes to Lego sets so I generally don't worry if a wave of a theme doesn't interest me and there are themes I take no notice of at all. But if there's something I like then great. I take the view that as an AFOL it's my choice to like a toy and that Lego don't owe me anything as a consumer. This thread seems to be pointing the finger at certain themes as a block to getting things they want. The most obvious seems to be Star Wars stopping people getting Classic Space sets. Well tough. Whether people like it or not SW is a massive source of revenue for Lego and the relationship is symbiotic. 18 of the top 20 selling SW toys last year were Lego. Lucasfilm won't want that to stop and Lego seem to be happy with the revenue it brings in. That's my point. People looking at HP as a replacement for Castle based sets can either enjoy the castle builds or not, but there's nothing to say that HP going away would result in Castle coming back. And as long as HP sells well it's going to stay.

The thread asks what themes should they discontinue. So my question is why should they discontinue something? Is it just to make room for something else that someone else wants? That's fine as a hypothetical point but people seem to be taking it far too seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Lego David said:

What I (and most other people complaining here) want is not to for all licensed themes to be discontinued. No. Just the unnecessary ones, such as this upcoming Trolls one. You can keep Star Wars, DC, Marvel and maybe one or two more, but all the rest should be discontinued. No Minecraft, no Overwatch no Trolls or anything else unnecessary like those. 

But people (specifically kids and teens who make up a large portion of LEGO's consumer base) are demanding more Minecraft. Sure a lot of AFOLs may dislike the theme due its blocky designs. But since Minecraft has lasted this long it's clearly been selling well otherwise LEGO would not be churning out more sets. 

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

But people (specifically kids and teens who make up a large portion of LEGO's consumer base) are demanding more Minecraft. Sure a lot of AFOLs may dislike the theme due its blocky designs. But since Minecraft has lasted this long it's clearly been selling well otherwise LEGO would not be churning out more sets. 

Minecraft also just recently got another huge update 2 weeks ago.

Also it's the type of game you can play in 10 different ways with or without mods, old versions are still available to select, online functionality, mobile/console and 2 versions for PC, so it's a wide audience.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Minecraft also just recently got another huge update 2 weeks ago.

Also it's the type of game you can play in 10 different ways with or without mods, old versions are still available to select, online functionality, mobile/console and 2 versions for PC, so it's a wide audience.

Still, the game is far less popular now than it was when LEGO got the license, so I honestly don't see any point in continuing. 

4 hours ago, Robianco said:

May as well get rid of Super Heroes stuff in favour of developing their own in-house hero based license then. So no Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, DC or any other licensed stuff as I'm sure there could be an in house license that these could all be replaced with. Do people think that would work? I'm sure there would be quite a few people from AFOL forums around the world who would be delighted. These rest of the Lego buying public? The other 90% of them? Maybe not so much.

They'd be too busy buying Mega Construx Star Wars, Marvel, DC and Harry Potter sets to either notice or care about LEGO not doing them any more.

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

But nowdays what we mostly get are random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

They aren't random, they are chosen by LEGO quite carefully.

What I (and most other people complaining here) want is not to for all licensed themes to be discontinued. No. Just the unnecessary ones, such as this upcoming Trolls one. You can keep Star Wars, DC, Marvel and maybe one or two more, but all the rest should be discontinued.

This isn't unnecessary. They will need something to fill the gap for younger (4+) kids and this is a popular license.  It may be unnecessary for many AFOLs, but that doesn't mean it is unnecessary.

You can keep Star Wars, DC, Marvel and maybe one or two more, but all the rest should be discontinued. No Minecraft, no Overwatch no Trolls or anything else unnecessary like those.

So keep the ones that AFOLs like, but no themes aimed at younger kids allowed? Minecraft is still popular. It may not be as popular as it once was, but kids still play it. And more importantly, kids still want the LEGO sets.

People are demanding for more in-house themes, whether that is new or returning themes, not random licenses that nobody ever asked for.

No. Some people are demanding more in-house sets. Yet others are demanding more licensed sets. Just look around the internet. It would be cool if LEGO did ... Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Thundercats, Space 1999, Star Trek, Thunderbirds, How To Train Your Dragon, Calvin and Hobbes, ... none of those is any less random than Trolls. In fact, a fairly popular movie, with a sequel coming out, aimed at the younger demographic that LEGO will want to target once the Incredibles and similar sets are gone, Trolls isn't that random at all.

Here is the current 2019 list of sets by theme from Brickset, with the gear type sets removed, DUPLO removed, Books removed, CMF removed as they aren't really sets as such, and education, FORMA, promotional, seasonal, etc removed too.

7N8ywwo.png

Do those licensed themes really outweigh in-house themes? Especially when you look at the number of sets in the themes.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Still, the game is far less popular now than it was when LEGO got the license, so I honestly don't see any point in continuing. 

So does LEGO have to make Fortnite or League of Legends sets instead then? 

Currently those 2 are by far the most popular streamed games on Twitch.

https://www.twitchmetrics.net/games/viewership

I know watching streams is different then playing, but it's a quick way to see viewer interest.

Overwatch is still at #7 as well.

2019 Minecraft has very few actual sets, just 2 + a Polybag, the other 3 are big figures.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

Trolls World Tour, probably.

With licensed themes like that, I don't see the point of saying that they SHOULD discontinue them because they inevitably WILL. Movie tie-ins like that that aren't tied to much larger franchises or cinematic universes rarely last longer than a wave or two. They're more or less designed with an expiration date, which isn't to say that Lego couldn't continue the theme if it somehow turned out to be wildly successful, but there's not exactly the expectation of it becoming the next Super Heroes, Harry Potter, or Star Wars.

We also don't even know what the size of that theme is going to be. I would not be surprised if it only consisted of three or four "Juniors" sets, like the Incredibles 2, Cars 3, or Toy Story 4 sets.

2009 had two SpongeBob SquarePants sets, three licensed Racers sets (Ferrari and Lamborghini), a licensed City set (Toys 'R' Us), and seven licensed Duplo sets (Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder). But there weren't Harry Potter sets in 2009 — those came about in 2010 along with other new or renewed licenses like Ben 10: Alien Force, Maersk Line, Toy Story, Cars, and Prince of Persia.

And if you go back one year to 2008, you had licenses including not only Star Wars, Indiana Jones, SpongeBob SquarePants, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Ferrari but also Speed Racer, Batman, Vestas, and Volkswagen. Go back to 2007 and you have Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, SpongeBob SquarePants, Ferrari, Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, of all things. So even if there were fewer licensed sets in those years than there are today, I don't feel as though LEGO was as restrained in their licensing as your post makes it sound.

Furthermore, "random licenses that nobody ever asked for" is a great way of completely ignoring the many people who HAVE expressed interest in LEGO making sets based on IPs like Stranger Things, Overwatch, Mustang GT, Jurassic Park/World, The Wizard of Oz, and so on. Even DreamWorks Trolls, the current thing that AFOLs are having so much fun whining about (even though it's not coming out until next year, and will most likely be replacing Toy Story 4 rather than adding to the overall number of licensed themes) was incredibly popular with kids, and I have no doubt that many of them would have been thrilled to have LEGO sets based on its world and characters.

Which isn't to say that "nobody asked for this" would have been a great argument against any theme even if it were true, since it presupposes that any set worth making is one that somebody else has already thought of, neglecting the possibility and value of new ideas that catch the whole world by surprise.

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

You've got a hard life ahead of you if you're really that bothered by the idea of kids liking things you don't… surely when you were growing up there must have been things you and other people your age liked that people your parents' or grandparents' age found weird or confusing?

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

OK. Let's suppose that this year LEGO didn't have any licensed themes except for Star Wars, DC, Marvel, Harry Potter, and Disney. I think we can agree those are all themes that are of value to a lot of people here, right?

Naturally, we'll keep The LEGO Movie 2, since its main characters from non-LEGO media fall under the DC umbrella, and I think we can also agree to keep Toy Story 4 since it falls neatly under the Disney umbrella. Do you know what that would do to the number of licensed sets this year?

Turns out: not as much as you might be thinking. Of what's known/rumored about the 2019 set lineup so far, Star Wars, DC, Marvel, Harry Potter, Disney, Toy Story 4, and The LEGO Movie 2 not only account for more than half of this year's licensed themes, but also over three fourths of this year's licensed sets and slightly more than a third of this year's entire range of new sets.

The only licensed themes you'd be getting rid of this way would be Minecraft, Overwatch, Speed Champions, Jurassic World, and Stranger Things… which, collectively, comprise just 28 sets, more than half of which are priced at $30 or less. That's enough for one big theme or five small (5–6 set) themes, but considering the disappointment and lack of staying power that the 2013 Castle wave and 2015 Pirates wave had, it'll be hard to turn so few sets and such low price points into the Castle, Pirates, and Space comeback that people here have been dreaming of…

5 hours ago, Robianco said:

I would probably agree about the amount of themes that pop up. Personally I could have lived without the Simpsons sets, or even the Ghostbusters sets (even though I think both Ghostbusters sets are excellent). We've also had things like Angry Birds that I'm not entirely sure of the impact or benefit of. But for whatever reason Lego have looked at the business case and thought them worthwhile.

You make some good points. And even when the benefit of these themes might not seem huge, the harm generally isn't either. There's no reason to think that LEGO would free up monumental resources by skipping themes that are only designed for a small, short-lived run. I mean, in the past when themes like Castle, Pirates, or Bionicle have been relaunched with six or fewer sets, many AFOLs have criticized that as pathetic or cheap on LEGO's part. I don't see how it's fair to treat the same number of sets as a gratuitous expense if it happens to be a licensed theme, whether or not it's one AFOLs happen to care for.

This is a silly argument. Just because something used to be MORE popular doesn't mean that it's no longer relevant. If we applied that reasoning to non-licensed themes then we could outright disregard many of the themes people are worried about current themes getting in the way of! Pirates and trains are decidedly less popular today than they were in the late 80s and early 90s. Bionicle and Harry Potter are much less popular today than they were in the early 2000s.

Eh, trolls will provide me with colourful hair for my minifigs. It might even provide more musical instruments for miniigures as the focus is music.

Surely if kids want Trolls World Tour, kids should get Trolls World Tour...

Personally I think that any theme is justified if TLG profits from it. To stay in the market, they have to keep to the current trends. I'm not saying Trolls will be profitable; only time will tell, but perhaps we should embrace the decisions that TLG make, even if some themes might not be as successful as planned or as interesting for AFOLs...

I like @Peppermint_M's positive attitude :grin:

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

Eh, trolls will provide me with colourful hair for my minifigs. It might even provide more musical instruments for miniigures as the focus is music.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, TeriXeri said:

I was surprised to see trans-orange color scheme for the Endgame quinjet, but that's been an exception to most Licensed ships. 

But design wise, I like something more basic like the Captain Marvel Quinjet, the studs and angles make it look more like LEGO to me, at 1/3 the price.

I do like the shape of the Spider-Man Far From Home jet as well.

With both DC and Marvel SuperHeroes, I really do appreciate the liberties they take with their sets at times as so to incorporate those desirable canopy/windshield recolors. And ya know, it'd be cool if Star Wars were to do the same with at least their 4+ sets! :shrug_oh_well:

On 5/9/2019 at 5:52 PM, danth said:

We need a Friends version of Space. :)

On 5/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Aanchir said:

Maybe Cartoon Network Studios will partner with them to make a cartoon about Benny the Spaceman. Maybe their next play theme aimed at the same girls 7-and-up audience as LEGO Elves will have an extraterrestrial setting. I just feel like it's nice to know those and other possibilities I might not even be able to imagine are still on the table.

Well, I do feel a minidoll-based Space theme could be a surefire way of obtaining further canopy/windshield recolors on the more vibrant side of the spectrum! :thumbup: :purrr:

Since we're on this topic, while I know that I've asked this before elsewhere, in what form do you feel such a theme might take shape in terms of premise and style? Would it more resemble Star Wars or Star Trek, so to speak (if I were to use that as an analogy for Space Exploration versus Space Fantasy)?

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Eh, trolls will provide me with colourful hair for my minifigs.

...if we are to presume their hair isn't one with their heads, if you know what I mean. :sad:

For the good of Lego? I don't know (seriously I can't even find a list of which themes are most profitable or anything).   But for me PERSONALLY, I would basically end all themes I don't collect anything of and replace them so that I can have sets from basically all of my favorite franchises

So, keep: Ninjago, Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Marvel.  End everything else.

Start new lines for (in no particular order, as many as possible):  Return lord of the rings/the hobbit, return pirates of the caribbean, avatar: the last airbender, how to train your dragon (I would also accept a "Dreamworks" line that includes HTTYD, stranger things, guild wars 2 (probably the most obscure thing here but hey there are a few themes right now from video games), maybe supernatural but I can only think of a few ideas.

Things I think would be great, but probably just a few large collector sets:  Supernatural, including CMF, sherlock, the office, etc.

11 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

if we are to presume their hair isn't one with their heads, if you know what I mean:sad:

Exactly. Those Trolls will most likely use specialized molded heads... So no useful hair pieces for your minidigures I guess...:sad:

Edited by Lego David

On 4/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, Lego David said:
On 4/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, Retro said:

Jurassic Stuff - I don't see the attraction of this theme. Why the excitement about dinosaurs? They're just animals. Like cows or elephants. Maybe you had to see one of the films in your formative years to feel the nostalgia.

I agree with you here... It's way too much focus on the dinosaurs that are nothing but giant molds than on the builds of the sets themselfs. I would rather have something like Dino Attack back instead. Not because it's licensed or anything, it's just because they focus on the Dinosaurs way too much and rush out the builds. I want something like Dino Attack... that has equally as much focus on the builds as with the dinosaurs (where actually the builds were more important)

As far as Dinosaur-centric themes go, I'm surprised no one had mentioned Adventurers' Dino Island subtheme from 2000. Though rather simplistic, I vastly prefer that line's Dinosaur molds with their minifigure-proportional blockiness and scale! Plus, EVERYTHING'S MORE AWESOME WITH A PERIOD SETTING, something the Dino Island subtheme had that hasn't been seen since then with follow-up successor themes like Dino 2010/Dino Attack, Dino (2012), and Jurassic World/Jurassic Park.

So, if there's ever a Jurassic World-free lineup in Lego's future as so to make room for an in-house theme in its wake, I really, really, really hope such a line takes more after Jules Verne or Indiana Jones next time around rather than something modern-set like Jurassic Park. :smug:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as Dinosaur-centric themes go, I'm surprised no one had mentioned Adventurers' Dino Island subtheme from 2000. Though rather simplistic, I vastly prefer that line's Dinosaur molds with their minifigure-proportional blockiness and scale!

I don't mind LEGO animals being somewhat blocky, but I can't say I agree about the scale being more proportionate to minifigures.

In real life, Stegosaurus and Triceratops were 26 to 30 feet long and between 9 and 10 feet tall. For comparison, a real-life horse is about 8 feet long and usually less than 7 feet tall (counting the head, even though horse measurement IRL is more typically measured from the withers). But the Stegosaurus and Triceratops from the Dino Island sets were between 5 and 6 bricks tall and between 16 and 17 studs long — shorter and less than twice as long as a LEGO horse!

Likewise, a real-life Tyrannosaurus Rex was 40 feet long and 15 to 20 feet tall, but the LEGO version was less than 18 studs long and less than eight bricks tall — only twice the length of a horse and less than twice the height! Additionally, the repurposed arm pieces used for the Tyrannosaurus and the repurposed horn pieces used for the Triceratops were an extremely feeble likeness of the real creatures even considering how much less we knew about them at that time than we do now.

The reason for the size and other inaccuracies of these early LEGO dinosaurs was seemingly less about scaling them to match minifigures, and more about making it easier for them to reuse parts and/or jaw and tail connections from existing LEGO animals like crocodiles and dragons. And while I definitely appreciated the way the dinosaur parts from the 2000 Dino Island sets and 2001 Dinosaurs sets were often shared between dinosaur species and/or with other LEGO creatures, they weren't particularly accurate in terms of proportions, scale relative to a minifigure, or anatomy.

Ideally, if I wanted to come up with a LEGO dinosaur design that was scaled accurately to minifigures (within reason… when you compare a 6-wide LEGO train to a 6-wide LEGO car, it's obvious that minifigure scale includes a lot of wiggle room) AND less reliant on highly specific molds than current dinos, then I'd probably opt for a brick-built or mostly brick-built design like many of the dragons in LEGO Ninjago or LEGO Elves.

And just on a personal level, I tend to prefer printed LEGO animal eyes to ones represented by a recessed area in the mold most of the time — except on brick-built animals where a differently colored piece can be used for the eye than the rest of the head. If we want LEGO animals to "fit in" with minifigures, it only makes sense that their eyes should be at least as expressive and clearly defined as minifigures' sparkly black dot eyes whenever possible!

Overall, though, I understand LEGO's preference for molded dinosaurs. After all, dinosaurs have a lot of appeal with kids younger than the audience for Elves/Ninjago level builds. Plus, I know a kids probably enjoy "playing rough" with them when acting out fights or chases, which is better served by a sturdier build with fewer fiddly details that can break off during play.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as Dinosaur-centric themes go, I'm surprised no one had mentioned Adventurers' Dino Island subtheme from 2000. Though rather simplistic, I vastly prefer that line's Dinosaur molds with their minifigure-proportional blockiness and scale! Plus, EVERYTHING'S MORE AWESOME WITH A PERIOD SETTING, something the Dino Island subtheme had that hasn't been seen since then with follow-up successor themes like Dino 2010/Dino Attack, Dino (2012), and Jurassic World/Jurassic Park.

What about The Flintstones? :tongue:

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I don't mind LEGO animals being somewhat blocky, but I can't say I agree about the scale being more proportionate to minifigures.

While I do prefer the minifigure-esque scale and proportions of Dino Island's molds, I am not quite as fond of their "dimple" eyes you've mentioned in the same way, as I definitely would've prefered at least some printing to make them look even more compatible/akin to minifigures.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

What about The Flintstones? :tongue:

If we're only speaking about in-house themes, then no, The Flintstones don't count! :wink: 

Specifically, while I'd be totally down for a period-set dinosaur theme in the vein of Jules Verne's Victorian/Industrial Era Sci-Fi like I'd suggested, my heart is still set upon something seriously Pulp/Dieselpunk/Crimson Skies... :devil:

Crimson Skies by roberthendrickson

22 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I can do without the hair, but the musical instruments have me actually interested.  Let's hope you're right.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

musical instruments

The Kreo sets had some nice parts:

Related image

A mandolin, trumpet and drums. I was a little tempted to get the set for them. If LEGO decided to make similar, as music is integral to the Trolls whole "thing" (I happen to like Anna Kendrick's vocals... so I listened to the sound-track....) so I am hopeful for more LEGO instruments. 

So, I like new themes and new things that provide me new parts to play with. I don't want stuff to be ended for no reason.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, Peppermint_M said:

The Kreo sets had some nice parts:

A mandolin, trumpet and drums.

I hope that LEGO would do a better job that these, personally.  I want something more versatile.

For me, the biggest surprise here is how LEGO do the hair. Will they try to emulate those Kreo sets, with the "real" hair attached permanently to a head, or a "hat" with the hair attached, on to a normal minifigure head, or just go with rubberised molded hair, or molded hair attached to a head, or something else.

The also know Kreo has done this license before, so presumably think there is a good market for it, like other ones they have taken up from other manufacturers. MB (and other manufacturers?) have done Spiderman and other SH before LEGO got it (back), Doctor Who by Character Building, etc.

Also part of their calculations no doubt take into consideration that if they have the Trolls license, then one of the clone companies will not have it. If someone else had it, then whatever juniors style sets LEGO had out at the time would be in competition with the clone brand's Trolls sets.

11 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Minions.

What about the Nexo Minions? :devil: