Sign in to follow this  
NathanR

How to fine tune LDD part placement?

I'm trying to create a micro-scale caterpillar track, by wrapping technic chain links around a 4L half-beam. Unfortunately, I cannot get the technic beam aligned properly - even when I build a scaffold, I only seem to be able to make 2LDU shifts when I really need a 1LDU shift (I think).  It seems to be the equivalent problem of aligning a half beam at the exact midpoint of a technic axle. Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Micro%20caterpillar%20track.png

640x358.jpg

LDD file here: https://bricksafe.com/files/NathanR/techniques/randomtechniques/Micro caterpillar track.lxf

4 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

You could still export to LDraw, fine-place the part(s) in any LDraw editor, and then import….

Wow, I did not know you could do that... Many thanks!

Add a Technic axle and something that can slide across the axle. Do that for each direction for which you want to move the part. In your case all three (left/right, front/back and up/down). Select the part that slides across the axle and the 1x4 half beam. You can now fine tune the position of the beam.

He told he already tried with a scaffolding (ok, it could be the wrong scaffolding, but...)

If the scaffolding don't help, you could try to edit the lxfml file and change position modifying the internal values, this should give you all the precision you need.
Obviously you should work with the most simple model as possible and trying to align it with the three axes.