Sign in to follow this  
Muakhah

Book III, Challenge II, Category A: Aid for Nocturnus

The four Guilds struggle to coordinate relief efforts and aid the lands that are still in need at the behest of the High Queen.  However, the High Queen seems to have ignored the guild that is most in need.  Nocturnus, the land that suffered the most from Ravaage, and whose mages ultimately defeated him, has been ignored by Queen Ylspeth.  Nocturnus does not exist in her councils and seems absent from her thoughts.

Not so in Khadira.  The strong links between Khadira and the self-styled Dragon Queen remain.  The Warrior Priests of Mazadar also seek to aid the Nocturnians whose plight is ignored by those in power.  The Desert King's alliance with the Nocturnian Resistance that struggled so hard against evil will be honored.

While Avalonia grows rich upon the sales of its grain. While Varlyrio recieves gifts and bribes from the new Queen.  While Mitgardia complains of famine yet sends convoys of food south. While Kaliphlin Lords remain divided and squabble among themselves.

All the while, Khadira sends aid to Nocturnus, and those who truly need the light, lest they be plagued once more by darkness and evil.

IMG_1811.jpg

Food is packed, ready to be transported across the border to Nocturnus.  As well as food Khadira will send gold to invest in suitable enterprises that cn help to restore Nocturnus.

IMG_1803.jpg

Bread, Fish, Carrots, and Gold are prepared in a courtyard, while chickens await their turn to be crated up.  Above the supplies flap bunting with the colors of Mazadar, Kaliphlin, and the Desert King.  As the windows of the building on the left overlook one of the windows of the building on the right the owner erected a modesty screen.

IMG_1802.jpg

A scribe tallies the quantities and types of foodstuffs to be send to Nocturnus.

IMG_1800.jpg

The Warrior Priest of Mazadar will be responsible for guarding and investing the gold in ways that help rebuild Nocturnus and enable its citizens to turn to the light.  He will also entreat others to do good, so that, like the spreading ripples caused by a single pebble, good deeds shall too spread across the world.

IMG_1806.jpg

Khadira hopes that its efforts to aid the Nocturnians will shame the Queen into taking action.  After all, were it not for the sacrifices made by the Nocturnians...she would not be Queen.

Edited by Muakhah
Missing sentence half...

While often tough, stubborn, and in no need for pity, I am sure the Nocturnians, at least the southern ones, would be grateful to receive Khadira's subsidy. This may be the first step to re-establish the trade with eastern Kaliphlin.

Great build! The architecture (patterns and proportions) and the colours are well-balanced, I can see you are improving! The flag line is a good way to add an extra sense of depth to the corner, and some colour contrast, too. :thumbup: 

Nice build, I really like the blue and white part.  The buildings are clean and sleek.  The figs with their goods is nicely done too.

Very nice little build!  I like the colors, lines, and the angled look.  The flags overhead and the crating of supplies is excellent.  You also raise a point, too, since Nocturnus is not playable, there aren’t many builds, and it seems overlooked (maybe we could all benefit from a challenge set there?).  In any case, well done!

haha good point you're making here! :laugh: Lovely little build, once again. Nice angle between buildings and base (oh and which blue is that on the wall? The regular one?), can't see much of the cobblestone, but that little bit looks nice (maybe more tan/sand for Khadira? In the corner between terrain and buildings, for example). I really like the simple yet effective details like the lantern, the flags line, the plants and the 'modesty screen' :laugh: - I never manage to fit so many details in such little space without having it look crowded, you know how to do it, instead! :thumbup:

The second to last bit of writing is cut: 'He will also... '  ?

Really dig the all-Lego pics here. Those plants are awesome and there are lots of nice other details here.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:47 AM, Exetrius said:

While often tough, stubborn, and in no need for pity, I am sure the Nocturnians, at least the southern ones, would be grateful to receive Khadira's subsidy. This may be the first step to re-establish the trade with eastern Kaliphlin.

Great build! The architecture (patterns and proportions) and the colours are well-balanced, I can see you are improving! The flag line is a good way to add an extra sense of depth to the corner, and some colour contrast, too. :thumbup: 

I'm glad the flagline came out well.  I was worried it was a bit sparse.  As for the Nocturnians, its not intended to be pity but instead to provide start up costs and basic resources for the areas near Kaliphlin.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, The Last of Nergoue said:

great moc! the colors are nice, although i think maybe putting a color underneath the cobblestone and have a small amount of light bley/dark bley on top of it. 

I could have had more dark tan show through...I wanted this to appear a well tiled area though...may have gone  overboard on the cobbles.  I am learning to love Dark Orange...maybe a little too much...

On 1/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, zoth33 said:

Nice build, I really like the blue and white part.  The buildings are clean and sleek.  The figs with their goods is nicely done too.

Cheers! I like sleeker buildings too as I am not that good at doing realistic weathering.  Glad you like the figs!

On 1/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, Grover said:

Very nice little build!  I like the colors, lines, and the angled look.  The flags overhead and the crating of supplies is excellent.  You also raise a point, too, since Nocturnus is not playable, there aren’t many builds, and it seems overlooked (maybe we could all benefit from a challenge set there?).  In any case, well done!

A Challenge set in Nocturnus could be a really interesting proposal!  Glad you like the angles! it was all quite fragile and I almost had a heart attack when some of the kids at the school where I work and photograph my creations were playing with it.  Fortunately, they were gentle.

18 hours ago, en_zoo said:

haha good point you're making here! :laugh: Lovely little build, once again. Nice angle between buildings and base (oh and which blue is that on the wall? The regular one?), can't see much of the cobblestone, but that little bit looks nice (maybe more tan/sand for Khadira? In the corner between terrain and buildings, for example). I really like the simple yet effective details like the lantern, the flags line, the plants and the 'modesty screen' :laugh: - I never manage to fit so many details in such little space without having it look crowded, you know how to do it, instead! :thumbup:

The second to last bit of writing is cut: 'He will also... '  ?

According to Bricklink that blue is medium blue.  Ihave a fair bit of tan and sand bricks but most of them are now in the UK.... a year and a half ago I had tons of tan...but not my sigfig...now I have a different half of my collection.  You think I know how to add details?  I think it was just luck that it came together well... but i'll take it!

Thanks for spotting the writing cut off.  I fixed it now.  I remembered getting to that point and thinking...hmmmm. What else?  I'll come back to it.  And I never did...

16 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Really dig the all-Lego pics here. Those plants are awesome and there are lots of nice other details here.

Tis the season/hot new trend for all lego scenes.  This time it turned out well.  I do need a better photography setup though!

This is probably my favourite concept for Category A and I wish I'd thought of that myself! It feeds into the Book III lore perfectly.

Love the blue and white building, some nice colour patterns here. That's not regular blue though is it? Is it sand blue? The rest of the scene is well set up and represents the story really well.

The scene is in focus but the photographs are a little grainy - perhaps shooting at a lower ISO would help here.

Lovely work!

On 1/30/2019 at 12:00 AM, Basiliscus said:

This is probably my favourite concept for Category A and I wish I'd thought of that myself! It feeds into the Book III lore perfectly.

Love the blue and white building, some nice colour patterns here. That's not regular blue though is it? Is it sand blue? The rest of the scene is well set up and represents the story really well.

The scene is in focus but the photographs are a little grainy - perhaps shooting at a lower ISO would help here.

Lovely work!

Glad people seem to like the concept.  I think there is still a lot of love for Nocturnus.  Just need to get some of those builders back!

The blue is medium blue.  My stock of it comes from the big temple of airjitsu set.  I looked on bricklink for the color of those bricks.

I'll ask the wife for help as I am completely clueless when it comes to pics.  I am taking them  on my phone and hoping for the best...

On 1/30/2019 at 12:04 AM, W Navarre said:

Really great work with the buildings, the little roof is my favorite part! 

That little roof has seen use before!  I'll probably end up using it again in various forms!

Nice all-Lego shots you managed there, I was sure I was looking at (at least) a 32x32 build until I scrolled down to the last picture :thumbup:

Kaliphlin and Nocturnus may have had their differences over the years, but the people of Nocturnus are human(oid)s too!

On 2/3/2019 at 5:05 AM, Gideon said:

Nice all-Lego shots you managed there, I was sure I was looking at (at least) a 32x32 build until I scrolled down to the last picture :thumbup:

Kaliphlin and Nocturnus may have had their differences over the years, but the people of Nocturnus are human(oid)s too!

Thanks @Gideon that means  a lot to me. The all Lego shots people have been doing recently have been really inspiring and I am trying to improve the photography. Got to get it better lit and less grainy though.  

Great work on this build!  I agree that it looked bigger than it actually was with your shots.  The angled buildings make a big difference, and I really like the hands as flags/pennants.  Great entry!

The build is very clean and well-built. I especially like the blue-and-white pattern there, and the contrast between the two buildings makes for a visually interesting backdrop for the scene. I like the irregular placement of the tiles, and the chickens just make it better. If you could give the top a bit more weight (i.e. something behind the wall at the very top) I think that would improve it slightly. But it is quite nice right now. 

Angling the buildings makes for a much more dynamic scene, and also allowed you to pack plenty into the small base area :thumbup: Between the wall colors and neat stripes you've created some excellent Kaliphlin architecture!