somelegothings_

[MOC] Harry Potter 4701 Remake

46744487092_0eea092d9e_b.jpg

I ordered a lot of classic LEGO Harry Potter items on BrickLink and this was the first project I wanted to accomplish. Hopefully, I'll make more soon! I do believe a mistake was using the old hair and not including a cape, however. 

I really like what you've done here, remaking the old sets using the new elements and minifigures. :thumbup: I also love the way the sorting hat is angled so that it's looking down on Harry.

I'm really excited to see where this goes, especially with all the new elements and pieces introduced.

It looks very good, but the point of the original set was that the printed disk was easy for little fingers to spin.  The disk in this build can still be swiped on the top surface, but I don't see anywhere to spin it by flicking the edge.

I would love to see a set like that to make a return. This is amazing looking, really like the roof and boarder of using those new window pieces, though I agree with @icm about the disk, unless there a spot to spin it from the back .

On 1/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, (Nexus) said:

46744487092_0eea092d9e_b.jpg

I ordered a lot of classic LEGO Harry Potter items on BrickLink and this was the first project I wanted to accomplish. Hopefully, I'll make more soon! I do believe a mistake was using the old hair and not including a cap

Edited by Alpha Supreme

I really do love this. I got this set from my folks in addition to the first wave Hogwarts castle in Christmas of 2001. This really strikes the nostalgia nerve. I like that you've included the 2x2 scroll print. I must have that somewhere. 

I like this remaster of the classic set! To be honest, I thought of 4701 as the weakest Harry Potter set because it didn't have any structures but had a weird-looking circle, but this MOC brings new life to it!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:55 PM, (Nexus) said:

I ordered a lot of classic LEGO Harry Potter items on BrickLink and this was the first project I wanted to accomplish. Hopefully, I'll make more soon! I do believe a mistake was using the old hair and not including a cape, however. 

That looks really good. Also the old grey torso still looks very well on the new Harry figure, unbelievable how it holds up after all those years. Now I kinda wished I had it myself xD. I hope they'll release a new non sorted torso in the future.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:38 PM, icm said:

It looks very good, but the point of the original set was that the printed disk was easy for little fingers to spin.  The disk in this build can still be swiped on the top surface, but I don't see anywhere to spin it by flicking the edge.

It looks like you can spin it from the back though.

You should definitely remake more sets. Love to see you remake the Slytherin common room from 2002.

I might have to have a go at making something similar. I always loved the concept of this set and you've just made it 10x better.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:14 PM, Tariq j said:

I also love the way the sorting hat is angled so that it's looking down on Harry.

Wholly intentional! That was one of the things I was just dying to do since the idea of this MOC came to me!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, Ultron said:

Oh I love it! I had so many of these sets as a kid for some reason :roflmao:

I had none of them :laugh_hard: . But on the bright side, BrickLink and other resellers exist so I've been able to slowly build up by quickly blowing paychecks!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:38 PM, icm said:

The back is completely open and the wheel is on a very nice set of hinges made for some great spinning. This set was also made with the intent of being a vignette with a border before it was a complete remake of a set. Regardless, I can work on a version without a border and something much more open.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, tman684 said:

Love this! I hope to see more projects like these. 

You absolutely will! Thanks so much!

On 1/24/2019 at 10:07 PM, ShadowWolfHount said:

I would love to see a set like that to make a return. This is amazing looking, really like the roof and boarder of using those new window pieces

As someone who really only builds vignettes, I miss these styles of sets. I completely understand why they aren't as common nowadays but with functionality and a good imagination, anything was able to be played with as a kid. (Thanks as well!)

On 1/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, Lego-fire said:

Awesome! 

Thank you!

On 1/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, BaneShake said:

Oh my god, this is brilliant! I love it!

I try. :innocent2:

On 1/26/2019 at 3:57 PM, Alpha Supreme said:

me too, bro

On 1/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, Plastic_Goth said:

I really do love this. I got this set from my folks in addition to the first wave Hogwarts castle in Christmas of 2001. This really strikes the nostalgia nerve. I like that you've included the 2x2 scroll print. I must have that somewhere. 

As a kid, I never really had the money (and the theme was long dead when I was really into LEGO) so I'd spend my time gawking over sets online. A few of them are pretty fairly priced if you piece them out and others are near inexcusable. I wanted to keep a lot of small details but also focus on my building skills. So while I'm aware I might never see building like that in a set, it's a pretty nice table decoration!

On 1/28/2019 at 11:07 AM, Farseer Petriel said:

I like this remaster of the classic set! To be honest, I thought of 4701 as the weakest Harry Potter set because it didn't have any structures but had a weird-looking circle, but this MOC brings new life to it!

Aw, thanks! I championed this set in particular as a kid for some reason, I reaaaaally wanted it. Looking back at it while designing, I'm glad I didn't go out of my way a year or three back and try buying it for nostalgia's sake. There's something nice about modifying a set you adore (concept or build). It's just a great means of expression if you come away feeling you made something special. Which is what everyone really has made me feel like, which is a surprising but very nice reaction.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, Huigberts Builds said:

That looks really good. Also the old grey torso still looks very well on the new Harry figure, unbelievable how it holds up after all those years. Now I kinda wished I had it myself xD. I hope they'll release a new non sorted torso in the future.

Absolutely agreed, I hope they can get something like that done. I have my doubts but luckily BrickLink has these going pretty cheap. 

23 hours ago, Ultron said:

It looks like you can spin it from the back though.

Yep! While depth may also be deceiving as the base is 8x8 but due to the slopes, it's really 9x9. There's a good amount of the wheel exposed for topical spinning as well. 

23 hours ago, Jawaguy4 said:

You should definitely remake more sets. Love to see you remake the Slytherin common room from 2002.

I will absolutely try to make that a reality, there's not a single 2001-2005 Harry Potter set I don't admire or find redeeming qualities in. 

23 hours ago, GamerBambii said:

I might have to have a go at making something similar. I always loved the concept of this set and you've just made it 10x better.

Iron sharpening iron is always something I will always stand by, give it a go! Would love to see your interpretation, Hogwarts is such a great setting because it's so up to interpretation as to what builders want it to look like. I love seeing every iteration I can find.

EDIT: Can I just say, I've never, ever quoted 15 replies? This feedback is incredible and I truly appreciate it!

Edited by (Nexus)

Thanks for your reply - could you just post a picture of the back?  No need to work on a new version if the disc is already easy to spin; I'd just like to see it.

17 minutes ago, icm said:

Thanks for your reply - could you just post a picture of the back?  No need to work on a new version if the disc is already easy to spin; I'd just like to see it.

Unfortunately I took it apart to work on my next set, but I can do a mockup on LDD later tonight. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a work ...this new version of the original set is a masterpiece: i like the room, the windows with bars and the white candles :thumbup:

Only the owl is missing for me

Thanks a ton! I had a version with an owl stand made from a life preserver piece and a spire. It was neat but I felt like it stuck out too much so it didn't make the cut. 

11 hours ago, icm said:

No need to work on a new version if the disc is already easy to spin; I'd just like to see it.

l55WRwe.pngGQEIuzM.png

There's not much filler as the actual build as I just wanted to get it finished. Spinning from the bottom is fairly easy as the back is that open just with tan tiles to smoothen it out. As you can see too, the 9x9 base is completely removable if need be.

Thanks for posting this.  I see that the back is completely open, and I'll take you at your word that it's easy to spin, but to me it still looks a little tricky to get fingers in there, because there's not much clearance between the disk and the plate above it.  Regardless, it's quite a nice build.