Type: Class 4 Ship

31911918737_fd2caedb98_z.jpgWTC Libertine by North White, on Flickr

The WTC Libertine had a long history. Built as an Oleander Snow around the turn of the century, the ship was sold to Telvoki trader, who used it to smuggle for Corrington during the Juniper War.

46128170974_b3eaeb3585_z.jpgWTC Libertine by North White, on Flickr

The ship had been bought by the WTC, who kept the blue colour scheme, and renamed it. 

46128171034_eabdc94476_z.jpgWTC Libertine by North White, on Flickr

The Ship was to be assigned to Captain Angles, whose' original ship, The Checkered Past, was far to leaky to be used as a trade ship. 

46128170874_7cc6870d3a_z.jpgWTC Libertine by North White, on Flickr

The ship was quite well stocked, favouring hauling and smuggling over combat.

31911918697_98263f464b_z.jpgWTC Libertine by North White, on Flickr

But the WTC had plans for this ship...

Fin

Thanks for viewing my new ship! I was heavily inspired by @Captain Braunsfeld's ship, and you'll probably notice a lot of similarities. Yes, blue is super historically inaccurate as a colour scheme, but I had the white and blue hulls, and I really like how it turned out. I think the one thing I don't like is the Rigging pieces, I wish I had the long ones, but unfortunately, I only have the short one's so I doubled up. I probably won't do custom rigging on this, but I do plan to make some sails for it, at some point. 

I'd like this to count for Task 2 of Category 3 of the GOC

Please let me know any suggestions for her, I'm calling her finished, but if anyone has any suggestions for making her better, I will work on implementing them. 

@Bregir, @Ayrlego, @SilentWolf, and @Captain Dee, let me know what you guys think too. 

Edited by Mesabi

Great looking ship Measbi. Definitely a marked improvement over some of your early builds. I quite like the blue and white. The only thing of change is the masts height... they look a little to tall to me.

Just a reminder, the ship will have to be turned over to the faction for licensing in order to count towards the GoC project.

Mesabi, you and your overly simplistic land MOCs certainly take flak (and some very much deserved), but this definitely shows improvement in your ship building.  While I can't speak for everyone, I am happy to see the effort put in.  A big step forward with your shaping over this one.

Personally, I'd add an off-set colour to the back end as trim: blue. gold. yellow, grey would all work well.  Also, your rudder seems to have fallen off. :wink:

Edited by Kwatchi
Had to erase a rogue t

Nice work, it looks like exactly the kind of ship the Padré should own. Maybe a dark line between the white and blue would make it more realistic?

@Mesabi I just want to clarify that you are doing the Merchant Marine and submitting the medium with a square rigged vessel. Also I take it that this is one of the ones you wish to keep. 

I am loving the tumblehome on your ship, and the color scheme is great. As noted above, I think some accent colors would be great, but it isn't something that is necessary. (However, if you want to play around with it, I think you will find it really enhances builds.) 

The others can contradict me if they feel differently, but I feel that some kind of sails are necessary to qualify for the level of effort expected. However, besides the lack of sails I find this to be an exceptional ship. 

4 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Great looking ship Measbi. Definitely a marked improvement over some of your early builds. I quite like the blue and white. The only thing of change is the masts height... they look a little to tall to me.

Just a reminder, the ship will have to be turned over to the faction for licensing in order to count towards the GoC project.

Thanks Blackbird, I really worked hard on this one. I agree the masts are a little tall, so I may restructure them, but I haven't decided yet.

And I reread it, only one merchant vessel needs to be given to Corrington for this challenge. 

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Mesabi, you and your overly simplistic land MOCs certainly take flak (and some very much deserved), but this definitely shows improvement in your ship building.  While I can't speak for everyone, I am happy to see the effort put in.  A big step forward with your shaping over this one.

Personally, I'd add an off-set colour to the back end as trim: blue. gold. yellow, grey would all work well.  Also, your rudder seems to have fallen off. :wink:

Thanks Kwatchi. I'll do some experimenting with some colours and see how it looks. 

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Nice work, it looks like exactly the kind of ship the Padré should own. Maybe a dark line between the white and blue would make it more realistic?

Thanks Ross, I'd love to see some more ships from you. 

11 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

@Mesabi I just want to clarify that you are doing the Merchant Marine and submitting the medium with a square rigged vessel. Also I take it that this is one of the ones you wish to keep. 

I am loving the tumblehome on your ship, and the color scheme is great. As noted above, I think some accent colors would be great, but it isn't something that is necessary. (However, if you want to play around with it, I think you will find it really enhances builds.) 

The others can contradict me if they feel differently, but I feel that some kind of sails are necessary to qualify for the level of effort expected. However, besides the lack of sails I find this to be an exceptional ship. 

Yes, I am doing the Merchant Marine category, and submitting the medium build, which is also my square rigged build. 

I will work on some sails in the near future, to complete the build. :classic:

Just now, Mesabi said:

Thanks Blackbird, I really worked hard on this one. I agree the masts are a little tall, so I may restructure them, but I haven't decided yet.

And I reread it, only one merchant vessel needs to be given to Corrington for this challenge. 

You're welcome, your hard work shows!

Yeah, I thought you were submitting this for the Oaken Shield tasks, my mistake. :shrug_oh_well:

So by far your best Ship to date! you should be proud of this one.  

it has curves and looks like a ship the masts are tall but a third mid section would help with this.  the shrouds could be improved but it's not a deal breaker.  you mentioned it was built as a "snow" a true snow would have a second smaller mast directly behind the current mast that the spanker attaches to.  the storm has decent shaping but is mighty white... some accent would go a long way back there. I like the use of the shield on the stern as well however the half attached slope brick is off putting in its current presentation.  but I really do like your creative method for hanging the yards

Yeeeees !!! This ship has really pretty curves ! This is a great well-rounded plumpy trade ship for sure... I imagine the holds filled with numerous goods ready to be stolen by our black flag ships :moar::devil_laugh:

ON BOARD !

I love those ship's lanterns !! :thumbup: will borrow the concept !

That's a nice ship you got here Mesabi. You've progressed a lot comparing to your previous builds.

I like the tumblehome built with plates and slope bricks The stern is nicely shaped, my only suggestion is to build the blue stripes further aft.

The bow is well detailed, I especially like the use of flexbile tube. 

The masts and rigging are nicely done, and considering the height of the main mast, maybe you could try to lengthen the bowsprit a bit. 

Nice job all around.:thumbup:

I can't mentally picture all your ships, but this seems to be your best yet? :thumbup:

The overall shape is nice, tumblehome is well executed, and the bow is reasonably tidy. I don't mind the classic blue on white, but an accent color would really make it stand out.

The bowsprit is perhaps a bit short, and the shrouds are a little clunky. I think custom rigging, even very simple straight shrouds without ratlines, would improve the look noticeably. Especially for future ships for GoC. :wink:

The cabin is a little blocky but fairly clean otherwise, and the lanterns are neat. But that one loose piece is visually jarring. *oh2* It really needs to be pressed down!

My biggest gripe is the lack of sails. Considering the nature of the free-build challenge, the builds should represent your best efforts. Any sails - standard LEGO parts, custom sails, furled brick designs, whatever - is better than nothing. (And as already stated, a true "snow" has an extra, short mast in back.)

Overall it's a nice design, but I'd like to see one good pic with some form of sails before giving approval. :classic: 

I'll leave the GoC judging to the others here, as their experience with ship design and building is far greater than mine!

Having said that, I do like the shaping and the colour scheme here. She looks like a reliable and sturdy sailor. Nice work.

As others have said, the hull is a nice improvement over what we have seen before. Overall shaping, tumblehome, and a nice stern cabin and bow shape are all well done.

There are a few bricks not pressed properly together, which seems to be a recurring issue for you, and something you should generally address. I agree with Captain Dee  and Silentwolf that we want to see some sails (or alternatively custom rigging) on this one before giving final approval for this one. Dee gives a few different options for this.

For future ships for the GoC I have a few things I would like to see you work with (not necessarily all for all mocs):

• Deck details
    I would like you to work with some different deck details. This could be hatches, ships bell, capstan, pumps, etc. Bodi, for instance, have some very nice examples if you look at his ship. If possible, tiling it may also help with nicer, cleaner look.
  • Life aboard
    I want to see the ship come alive with minifigures. Not just standing around, but actually doing something, potentially using some of the details above.
  • Masts
    I would like to see you work with getting a more realistic configuration of your masts and spars. Again, Bodi's ships, Legostone's, or my own, all show how the masts are divided, how the proportions are, and where you need fighting tops, spars, shrouds, etc. And use the shipwrights guild hall for some specific questions, if you can't make it out from looking at real life pictures or other mocs.
    I can see from your configuration that you (as many others, of course) do not really understand how rigging and sails work on a ship in this age, so I would suggest asking for some input and looking at what others do.
  • Rigging
    The prefab shrouds limit you, as they have set proportions. If you make proper chain plates (where the shrouds are fastened to the hull) when planning/building the hull it is fairly easy to make simple string rigging for shrouds (without ratlines), and really enhances the look (and stability...) of a moc.

That's all for me for now :)

On 1/24/2019 at 12:49 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

So by far your best Ship to date! you should be proud of this one.  

you mentioned it was built as a "snow" a true snow would have a second smaller mast directly behind the current mast that the spanker attaches to.  \

Thank you!

Do you have any reference pictures of the second mast? I can't seem to find a picture of what is being referred to.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:57 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Yeeeees !!! This ship has really pretty curves ! This is a great well-rounded plumpy trade ship for sure... I imagine the holds filled with numerous goods ready to be stolen by our black flag ships :moar::devil_laugh:

ON BOARD !

I love those ship's lanterns !! :thumbup: will borrow the concept !

Thanks Thaum!

You might have some trouble getting at her though, I'm probably going to put her on an AMCRA

On 1/24/2019 at 7:29 AM, Bodi said:

That's a nice ship you got here Mesabi. You've progressed a lot comparing to your previous builds.

I like the tumblehome built with plates and slope bricks The stern is nicely shaped, my only suggestion is to build the blue stripes further aft.

The bow is well detailed, I especially like the use of flexbile tube. 

The masts and rigging are nicely done, and considering the height of the main mast, maybe you could try to lengthen the bowsprit a bit. 

Nice job all around.:thumbup:

Thanks Bodi!

On 1/24/2019 at 10:08 AM, Captain Dee said:

I can't mentally picture all your ships, but this seems to be your best yet? :thumbup:

The overall shape is nice, tumblehome is well executed, and the bow is reasonably tidy. I don't mind the classic blue on white, but an accent color would really make it stand out.

The bowsprit is perhaps a bit short, and the shrouds are a little clunky. I think custom rigging, even very simple straight shrouds without ratlines, would improve the look noticeably. Especially for future ships for GoC. :wink:

The cabin is a little blocky but fairly clean otherwise, and the lanterns are neat. But that one loose piece is visually jarring. *oh2* It really needs to be pressed down!

My biggest gripe is the lack of sails. Considering the nature of the free-build challenge, the builds should represent your best efforts. Any sails - standard LEGO parts, custom sails, furled brick designs, whatever - is better than nothing. (And as already stated, a true "snow" has an extra, short mast in back.)

Overall it's a nice design, but I'd like to see one good pic with some form of sails before giving approval. :classic: 

Thanks Dee! I really worked hard on this one. I will be adding sails to her, though I'm dreading it.

And that loose piece, I swear I press everything down and than I take the picture and it's loose as hell! :pir-laugh:

I will repost with sails when I have it finished.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:27 AM, Ayrlego said:

I'll leave the GoC judging to the others here, as their experience with ship design and building is far greater than mine!

Having said that, I do like the shaping and the colour scheme here. She looks like a reliable and sturdy sailor. Nice work.

Thank you!

On 1/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Always good to see that we inspire each other :pir-grin:

Thank you! I really took a page from your designs, and that really helped me build this one. 

On 1/28/2019 at 3:56 AM, Bregir said:

Deck details
I would like you to work with some different deck details. This could be hatches, ships bell, capstan, pumps, etc. Bodi, for instance, have some very nice examples if you look at his ship. If possible, tiling it may also help with nicer, cleaner look.

Thanks, I will take a look at his designs, and see what I can add to this ship.

Life aboard
I want to see the ship come alive with minifigures. Not just standing around, but actually doing something, potentially using some of the details above.

I will be doing a story with this vessel when I get the sails added. 

Might involve Tony. :pir-laugh:

Masts
I would like to see you work with getting a more realistic configuration of your masts and spars. Again, Bodi's ships, Legostone's, or my own, all show how the masts are divided, how the proportions are, and where you need fighting tops, spars, shrouds, etc. And use the shipwrights guild hall for some specific questions, if you can't make it out from looking at real life pictures or other mocs.
I can see from your configuration that you (as many others, of course) do not really understand how rigging and sails work on a ship in this age, so I would suggest asking for some input and looking at what others do.

Alright. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for good reference books on ships? Generally that's what I use, but I've had trouble finding good ones. 

Thanks for your detailed advice @Bregir!

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Do you have any reference pictures of the second mast? I can't seem to find a picture of what is being referred to.

There have been a few "proper" snows on the brick seas, where you can see it.

One example is my own Athena. Notice the small mast behind the main. Wikipedia is always a useful place to go, and their article on the snow is actually quite helpful, even if the pictures are rather small.

I will also add that we of course encourage you to take in as much of the feedback as possible, but that you do not *need* to include it all on this moc to be approved.

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good reference books on ships?

I have a few old books bough second hand, one with a lot of details of ships and rigging - I can see if I can find the original title. But what I typically do is simply find pictures online, or read up on wikipedia articles. Once you get the general idea of how rigging looks and works, I find you can work largely without source material for a realistic result. I still look at pictures, though, as it helps with proportions etc.

So a quick search for "snow" brig came up with some decent photos.   You just have to watch because later brigs were called snow's even though they wernt actually a snow...  Just a brig. 

The first is as little confusing as the ship behind it makes the masts look like there's more but it's a good shot from forward. With sails stowed.   

The second is a good broadside with sail...  You can see both masts have a "snow mast" that the gaff and spanker attach to 

33153d14909f711d85f105c105eb9b24.jpg

161736644.T7fK8yh0.jpg

This one seems a bit unconventional. Gaff-sails on the fore is... well - it is a first for me. Seems like a strange mix between schooner (the gaffs), a snow (the snow masts) and a brig (the three part masts).

Typically, to the best of my knowledge, a snow would only have the trysail (or snow-) mast abaft the main mast.

A quick search for "snow ship" on google will give you a lot of hits, eg. this one. (apparently found basically intact on the sea floor! :O) Alternatively, I can recommend the models in the game "naval action" - they are expertly done with great attention to detail. (And you can find good pictures from there online) They have a snow too.

urhaest.jpg

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

This one seems a bit unconventional.

Further inspection shows its a later  built ship...   Lol I literally spent two seconds on google lol.  Do you have a link to the story of the ship you posted? 

Edited by Roadmonkeytj