Sign in to follow this  
adde51

CHALLENGE II: Category B: Mophet ostrich racing

Nothing beats a day at the race track! Ostrich-racing is one of the most intense, and quite honestly, dangerous sports in all of Kaliphlin. Although, with ostriches being fairly common here, there is no shortage of races being organized throughout the badlands. While most races are run with the jockey simply sitting on top of the ostrich (most likely clinging on for dear life...), the race track in Mophet offers spectators something a little different. The track is fairly narrow, and the races are held with small carriges that are drawn by the animals. This makes overtaking another driver a very challenging task, and only the most fearless dare step foot on the track. On this particular day, a very special event was taking place as drivers from all parts of Historica had been invited to what was to be the greatest race in recent memory. The prize-money had been donated to the council of Mophet by an anonymous donor and brought to the city with the help of an Avalonian convoy. Qualifying races had been held for most of the day and finally only three drivers remained. There was Bar-ie, a resident of Mophet (and a bit of a local hero), Godfi'r from the eastern mountains, and Raki from the southern shores. For most of the race, Godfi'r held the lead and seemed destined to claim the prize along with all its glory. Bar-ie was however just on his tail as the race reached the final lap. Just as the two drivers went in to the second-to last turn, Bari-ie performed a move that would lend him a place among the all-time legends of the sport, as he leaned his body to the left and was able to tilt the carriage and overtake Godfi'r. The crowd went crazy and cheered his name (well, not all of them as quite a few had bet their entire months wage on Godfi'r...) as he crossed the finish line! 

The track with the surrounding road

46128356394_5a7511b694_c.jpg

Bar-ie and his daring move to take the lead

46801055032_a3c8cee6d7_c.jpg

The track without the road

46801055352_1d004ca3b8_c.jpg

So this is my entry in category B. Probably not going to get any bonuspoints for originality as one of the suggestions was ostrich racing, haha! I was however pretty inspired by that suggestion and decided to go for it anyway. The race track is a bit narrow but I thought it made for a pretty fun story and fitting for the city of Mophet. The road perhaps does take over a bit, and draws attention away from the track itself, but I sort of wanted to frame the scene a bit (and also get my camels in there, haha!), Anyways, hope you guys like it, cheers!

Edited by adde51

Yay!  Great to see such a classically Kaliphlinian sport represented in this challenge!  Really nice job with the course, I like the way you rounded the edges and got some flowering plants in the middle.  Some intense posing there too on the chariots!  :thumbup: 

14 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Yay!  Great to see such a classically Kaliphlinian sport represented in this challenge!  Really nice job with the course, I like the way you rounded the edges and got some flowering plants in the middle.  Some intense posing there too on the chariots!  :thumbup: 

Thanks buddy! Glad you liked the track and also the posing of the chariots, tried to give it some sense of action. :sweet:

Great sense of scale and activity here. The details are also really good at this size, with your palette and texture shining through.

Great colour choices here and you've captured the Kaliphlin style perfectly.

Although it was an idea stolen straight from the challenge blurb you have executed it well, I like the track and the photography is sharp and let's you see the detail.

I only wish there was more of a tiered stand at the back with a few more figs in it as the whole scene seems a little flat.

Nice colorful scene with great action :thumbup:
Despite the interesting transportation animals, I actually like the scene even better without the streets as I think they distract a bit from the centerpiece and somehow makes the racetrack seem smaller. (It's also probably that in my mind these fairly smooth lbg streets seem a bit too clean in a dusty oasis city, I like the more uneven look in some of your previous builds with sparser paving like the watchtower build))
Great work with the photography, as usual :classic:

Great action in this build. Like it most without roads. You see the race and the track better and that's the part I like best.

Doesn’t have to be original if it’s done well.

This fits the Mophet style really well both in terms of color and bustle.  Good with the roads, better without as it gives more focus to the racetrack which has a Mini Ben Hur vibe to it! I like the building at the back as well, though as others have said the steps/stands leading up to it could be higher.

As Mophet is growing fast and becoming an important destination I’ll do my usual annoying thing and ask where does Mophet stand regarding the Desert King?

This scene is hilarious and awesome.  I love the idea and the way you depicted it.  As you mention, the track is a little narrow but that’s a difficult thing to convey in bricks to make proportional.  The colors and styling are great and I like the tree.  The street pavement seems a little chaotic, but isn’t really all that distracting.  Great work!

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, mccoyed said:

Great sense of scale and activity here. The details are also really good at this size, with your palette and texture shining through.

Thanks! Appreciate it :classic:

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, Basiliscus said:

Great colour choices here and you've captured the Kaliphlin style perfectly.

Although it was an idea stolen straight from the challenge blurb you have executed it well, I like the track and the photography is sharp and let's you see the detail.

I only wish there was more of a tiered stand at the back with a few more figs in it as the whole scene seems a little flat.

Haha, I figured as much :laugh:. Thanks man, glad you liked the style. I sort of ran out of figs at the end but I see your point about that.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, Gideon said:

Nice colorful scene with great action :thumbup:
Despite the interesting transportation animals, I actually like the scene even better without the streets as I think they distract a bit from the centerpiece and somehow makes the racetrack seem smaller. (It's also probably that in my mind these fairly smooth lbg streets seem a bit too clean in a dusty oasis city, I like the more uneven look in some of your previous builds with sparser paving like the watchtower build))
Great work with the photography, as usual :classic:

Thanks buddy. I agree that the track does stand out more without the streets, absolutely. Still figuring out the roads but I'll probably go with a bit more rugged look in future builds. Cheers!

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, dalle said:

Great action in this build. Like it most without roads. You see the race and the track better and that's the part I like best.

Thank you buddy, I definately see your point about the road :wink:

20 hours ago, Muakhah said:

Doesn’t have to be original if it’s done well.

This fits the Mophet style really well both in terms of color and bustle.  Good with the roads, better without as it gives more focus to the racetrack which has a Mini Ben Hur vibe to it! I like the building at the back as well, though as others have said the steps/stands leading up to it could be higher.

As Mophet is growing fast and becoming an important destination I’ll do my usual annoying thing and ask where does Mophet stand regarding the Desert King?

Haha, thanks man! Oh, I haven't really given the Desert King plot the attention it might deserve. Will have to get back to you on that one if that's ok *huh*

3 hours ago, Grover said:

This scene is hilarious and awesome.  I love the idea and the way you depicted it.  As you mention, the track is a little narrow but that’s a difficult thing to convey in bricks to make proportional.  The colors and styling are great and I like the tree.  The street pavement seems a little chaotic, but isn’t really all that distracting.  Great work!

Cheers man! The scale was a bit tricky for the size it had to fit within, glad you liked it though!

hehe really nice! :classic: I guess you could've built the road of a colour/texture different from the one(s) of the immediate surrounding of the tracks (kind of road - pavement difference, in contemporary terms), but it's just a small details. Lovely details all around and perfectly recognisable Mophet-style, which is a plus. Love the activity as well as the short story, with which you managed to turn the topic into something original for your city :thumbup:

7 hours ago, en_zoo said:

hehe really nice! :classic: I guess you could've built the road of a colour/texture different from the one(s) of the immediate surrounding of the tracks (kind of road - pavement difference, in contemporary terms), but it's just a small details. Lovely details all around and perfectly recognisable Mophet-style, which is a plus. Love the activity as well as the short story, with which you managed to turn the topic into something original for your city :thumbup:

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated! Yeah, the ”pavement” does need to be a bit more tan to contrast better and as soon as the PaB-wall has those tiles again I’ll stack up for sure, haha! Glad you found it recognizable for Mophet! 

Now this moc have some serious action going on! The wagon in the curve really cathces the eye and gives the impression of a crazy race going on! The coloiurscheme put in theis moc is something that I just love!

Great entry!!!

14 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Now this moc have some serious action going on! The wagon in the curve really cathces the eye and gives the impression of a crazy race going on! The coloiurscheme put in theis moc is something that I just love!

Great entry!!!

Thank you man, much appreciated! Was a bit tricky to convey the action going on so I'm very glad you liked it :sweet:

Ostrich racing looks to be a very competitive sport in Mophet! Well done making an arena that looks functional without be absolutely massive :thumbup:

And there's a nice variety of minifigure activity going on in the scene :classic:

Beautiful representation of Kaliphlin at it's core!  You've done a great job with the way you laid out the buildings and track, and the colors work well, especially with how you tiled the streets.  Love the reservoir, the tree, the building in the back, the gate, and the figure placement.  Great work!

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Ostrich racing looks to be a very competitive sport in Mophet! Well done making an arena that looks functional without be absolutely massive :thumbup:

And there's a nice variety of minifigure activity going on in the scene :classic:

Haha, it's fiercely competitive! Glad you liked the arena, tried to find a decent balance with it :classic:

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Beautiful representation of Kaliphlin at it's core!  You've done a great job with the way you laid out the buildings and track, and the colors work well, especially with how you tiled the streets.  Love the reservoir, the tree, the building in the back, the gate, and the figure placement.  Great work!

Thank a lot man, very glad to hear! Starting to get the hang of Kali more and more hopfully :wink:

The idea is great, and the execution of the race scene itself is excellently composed. However, I think it struggles visually from too many colors and overall flatness. Of course, a racetrack would be flat, but I think there could be more built up around the track, especially in the back. And the greys and tans and dark orange mixed in everywhere jumbles everything together a bit and makes it look too busy. Trying to keep them separated more distinctly could help sharpen the presentation. My favorite detail is the tree in the back right corner with the whip-vines.