Lego David

Rarest set, polybag, piece or minifigure that you own

On 3/23/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lira_Bricks said:

Nice, you might have the rarest Lego item of people in this topic!

How do you know Lego does not have the set in their archives?

Well, the set was thought to be a catalog error a few years ago because no examples had yet been found. A friend of mine (you may know him on this forum as LegoHistorian) had contacts with the archive folks in Billund. I would guess he probably asked them about it during their conversations. :wink: He is the one I got that bit of information from.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, AmperZand said:

If they are still mint in factory sealed boxes, then they would be pretty rare.

Why would one keep LEGO bricks mint - in factory sealed boxes? My parents gave me some LEGO boxes back then - they remained in mint/sealed condition until they handed them to me - I guess for a maximum of seconds:pir-laugh:.

Best
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Why would one keep LEGO bricks mint - in factory sealed boxes? My parents gave me some LEGO boxes back then - they remained in mint/sealed condition until they handed them to me - I guess for a maximum of seconds:pir-laugh:.

Best
Thorsten

In the case of 6599 Shark Attack, for example, I got the set for the sharks but managed to obtain them separately at about the same time. So there was no need to open Shark Attack anymore.

In the case of CMFs, I already have opened ones, so the sealed ones are just for parts should I need them. Likewise for the Fantasy Era/Kingdoms impulse boxes and lots of sealed polybags.

47 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

so the sealed ones are just for parts should I need them

Yes I can see that!

I came from the "never enough" LEGO bricks available world - as there were fiscal issues :pir-classic: back then. And for some reason I inherited that: I cannot leave a set I am either getting or buying unopened. I must admit though, that this is entirely my problem: I always "need" parts - and build on the basis of variety and availability. I hardly plan. Maybe in retro-perspective, when polishing up. I simply need to look at what is there. Which renders the existence of an unopened box meaningless - to me. And only to me!

All the best
Thorsten 

P.S.: I do not buy or get LEGOs or sets at any rate as some other folks here on EB. And that is purely my very own decision, of course! It does change the perspective though: When you have considerable funds at your hand you are happily investing in LEGO, then you can surely leave boxes unopened! I am fully aware of that - and my reply to your post was a bit - nasty. Sorry for that! 

Edited by Toastie

@Toastie, I understand your point of view and share that sentiment to an extent. Most of my unopened sets are because I already have an open one or have something similar opened already such as a polybag with the same Ninjago character. The sets that I don't have in duplicate or something similar that are unopened do play on my mind. I'm waiting for special occasions to open them which I will... eventually.

By the way, I didn't find your reply 'nasty' at all. I've been at the receiving end of far, far worse both online and off :wink: 

I'm kind of the same way when it comes to sealed sets.  I think I've only got maybe one or two, maximum, in my collection, and they weren't really ones I intended to keep sealed, it just worked out that way.  One was a set, I think something from the Police subtheme, I bought on vacation at a LEGO store, didn't build it while traveling (for obvious reasons).  I think I bought two or three sets and that one was last on my priority list to build, so it ended up getting pushed back and it took me probably a couple of years before I actually built the thing.  

The other one was a Western set, 6799, Showdown Canyon.  I bought a sealed copy on eBay at an amazing deal, and it was my first (and still only!) Western set, and I just didn't build it initially, I think I bought it at a time when I was very busy and figured I may have to wait a few weeks before building it (it's not a large set, but I didn't want to rush the build).  Anyway, after a few months, I was debating building it, but also was weighing the fact that the set, at times, was selling for 4x what I actually paid for it, and I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to open the thing.  I still have it, so maybe someday.

Besides that, every other set I've bought gets opened within a day or two of me buying it.

Probably rarest minifigure I own is Iron Man Mark 47, according to Bricklink, you can buy one new for 24 euros, though I consider Barbossa to be one of the rarest in my collection (as small as it is). He is only 8 euros but to me is priceless. Of course I have to mention Mr. Gibbs (I wonder why?), he is slightly cheaper than Barbossa. Another honorable mention would be 1999s Adventurers Raft from Adventurers theme (duh) as it is selling for 10 or more euros, heard that these small Egypt wave sets weren't that good but it's the only Adventurers set I've got, so yeah...

Just found this thread. The rarest Lego part I own is a prototype of set #9750, "Interface A", which is from 1986. The production units aren't terribly rare, and I have several of those, but a prototype that looks nothing like the original -- and it still works??? I'd love to know if anybody else has one. :)