Lego David

Rarest set, polybag, piece or minifigure that you own

What is the rarest LEGO stuff that you own? It could be either a set, a polybag, a minifigure or a piece.

To start up this topic, I own this:

Image result for lego bmw polybag

This Polybag was only given away at a BMW event in Munich, Germany, which makes it pretty uncommon.

What about you?

Hmm my rarest sets are probably the two employee exclusives from when I worked for the call center. I have the nutcracker (which is stunning) and the trains through the years which is still in the box.

Don't know if this would be considered 'rare'; but I got an Alien Conquest minfig set signed by Mark Stafford (TLG Designer) prouldy on display. :grin:
It was a price for 'Put Your Brick Where Your Mouth Is' (P.Y.B.W.Y.M.I.) contest over on the, now gone, classic-space forums.

Well, according to Brickset’s numbers it’s 3053 Emperor’s Stronghold sitting at 793 owned. Not super rare...but I think it’s the best I got. 

As for minifigs, being in the States...might be the Winter Soldier polybag? It looks like it wasn’t available over here. But I’m sure there’s a fair number of people like me who still got their hands on it. 

Rarest fig would be chrome stormtrooper or commander wolffe...

I'm not sure if I have any rare set though :sad:

I just don't seem to have enough luck to get some...

I don't think I have anything that's legit-ly rare, so the best I've got is 1993's Dragon Knight's 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress which is also the oldest set I've got. Can be quite rare when trying to find them at third-party dealers if you don't buy stuff online.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

I have minifigure business cards from Kjeld, Jorgen, Tormod, Bali, Thomas Kirk, Yun Mi etc... I dont know if they that rare, but they are very percious to me. I also have few of LEGO Idea House minifigs, LEGO HMV fig etc...

Out of sets, most rare is probably this years LEGO Employee gift set. I also have VW van polybag, Mini polybag and some tohers, but these may be fairly common.

Most valuable to me is probably LEGO House set, signed by the desinger with special dedication to me.

From my old collection, I like Biker Bob that came with boxed version of the Creator video game. (1998).

2584-1.jpg?199811300715

Later plastic case versions didn't come with it anymore.

3626bpb0098.jpg

His face print was never made in another set.

Also have some limited small sets from the 90s that were mostly supermarket promotions at the time in my country.

2845-1.jpg2847-1.jpg

2848-1.jpg2849-1.jpg

That UFO minifig has a trans-neon orange head, and that was pretty amazing back then. (wasn't unique to that set but still the only one I had)

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

That isn't rare at all.

So this is basically just a bragging thread then?

Another way to look at rarity it is to measure the desirability and value. Fewer in number and exclusivity to obtain only tells half the picture if no one actually wants the rare thing you have. For example according to Brickset 1087 people want @Vindicare's posted set while only 231 people want that "BMW" polybag in the original post. In addition one can get that "rare" polybag right now brand new and sealed for around $8 (just about every Lego fan can afford that and there's a couple dozen for sale sealed on bricklink) while that stronghold set is about 25 times more valuable in the same condition and there's only one brand new sealed on BL.

Edited by koalayummies

I don't really "collect" mini-figures, I more sort of "accumulate" them, so I'm not really that up on what is "rare" and what is not.  I DO know which figures people from the local LUG have gawked at and/or offered to buy from me (at, IMHO, rather inflated prices -  sometimes for more than what I paid for the whole set originally ) from time to time.  These include:

Boba Fett from the 10123 Cloud City set, I have several Boba Fetts but I think this is the only one I have with printing on the arms.

"Puny" Hulk - A regular minifigure sized Hulk, shop-at-home gift with purchase from about 6 or 7 years ago. I doubt this is actually all that rare (I have several still in bags) but I've gotten several offers in the $20-$30 dollar range; not bad for a freebie, but I don't see the appeal.

The Heath Ledger style Joker from the 76023 UCS Tumbler set - a Batman fanatic friend of mine claims it's the only version of The Joker based on the actor, but again, since this was part of a regular set I assume there are thousands of them out there somewhere

Pearl Gold and chrome C-3PO - a stowaway in a Star Wars kit about a decade or so ago.  I assume it was was some sort of promotion I wasn't paying attention to at the time and he wasn't on the parts list, but his polybag said it was one of 10,000 so I assumed it was something special (a bit like the old days of getting a prize at the bottom of your box of Cracker Jack...)

Maccus - the hammer head shark guy from the 4184 Black Pearl. Again, how rare can be possibly be (I have three) but people keep asking to buy him from me.

Fleshy Snape from the 5378 Hogwarts - I've amassed several Severuses over the years, but the fleshy version (as opposed to grey or glow-in-the-dark) always seems to catch people's attention.

I also have a few Sig-Figs from various current and former Lego group employees, but I don't think selling a "Kevin Hinkle" minifig is going to cover my daughter's tuition even if I threw in two Saras, a Bali, a Tim and a Jamie :sweet:  

15 hours ago, koalayummies said:

So this is basically just a bragging thread then?

Another way to look at rarity it is to measure the desirability and value. Fewer in number and exclusivity to obtain only tells half the picture if no one actually wants the rare thing you have. For example according to Brickset 1087 people want @Vindicare's posted set while only 231 people want that "BMW" polybag in the original post. In addition one can get that "rare" polybag right now brand new and sealed for around $8 (just about every Lego fan can afford that and there's a couple dozen for sale sealed on bricklink) while that stronghold set is about 25 times more valuable in the same condition and there's only one brand new sealed on BL.

Plus the polybag is a reissue of a common earlier one anyway (in the UK it was given away with a newspaper), so the only difference is in the licensed packaging. This is probably partly why not so many people want it. I can understand people into licensed polybags or BMW collectors wanting it, but many LEGO fans would have already have got the earlier RACERS version.

40200-1.jpg?20130602041930035-1.jpg?201005280309

11 minutes ago, MAB said:

Plus the polybag is a reissue of a common earlier one anyway (in the UK it was given away with a newspaper), so the only difference is in the licensed packaging. This is probably partly why not so many people want it. I can understand people into licensed polybags or BMW collectors wanting it, but many LEGO fans would have already have got the earlier RACERS version.

40200-1.jpg?20130602041930035-1.jpg?201005280309

The other differences I've spotted is the fenders colors. But I've never seen the set in person so I couldn't tell if both fenders pieces are actually in different colors or it's just the packaging.

But, yeah, personally, I would prefer the official Racer banner version.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

3 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

The other differences I've spotted is the fenders colors. But I've never seen the set in person so I couldn't tell if both fenders pieces are actually in different colors or it's just the packaging.

But, yeah, personally, I would prefer the official Racer banner version.

Yes, the BMW one does have recolored parts in Black. Here I made my review on it:

2jSFVdz.jpg

This is my rarest part, I got it at a Legoland Discovery Centre and it’s got my name carved on the back! I can’t seem to find it on Brickset though

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

Yes, the BMW one does have recolored parts in Black. Here I made my review on it:

There's another misnomer in the rarity thinking here and that is going off how many people took the time to say they own the set on Brickset and how many people could actually build the set from the parts they already have but just don't know or care. Apparently I have every single part required to build this Happy Meal cereal box prize newspaper giveaway (thanks for sharing that info @MAB) but just didn't know it and since you opened and built yours and I have all the parts needed to build it there's no difference as they're both opened and used Lego. Therefore, I, and I suspect many others technically own 40200. They just don't know it because, really, who cares.

Not as rare as thought.

^ But you don't have the opened polybag so there is a difference! Although as this set is licensed it must clearly be inferior to the same but slightly different coloured non-licensed version.

They were given away for registering with the LEGO club online, so easy to get hold of. There are over 1000 new ones for sale on bricklink, so not very rare. If you get the 2014 version, it is significantly rarer.