Hey guys, here's my submission for the TC15 contest. I know I came in pretty late as it's been over a month now since the contest started, but I've been busy for the past few months and only recently found some time to build.

My TC15 submission will be a model of the Sikorsky S-64, which I actually thought of building back in 2017 but later abandoned. I actually had a rotor setup ready back when I planned on building this, so fortunately I'm sorta able to "pick up where I left off".

I plan on including a simple battery box/motor setup, where the motor powers the rotors at all times and a winch with the engagement of a directional gearbox. It will also include HoG steering, which will allow better control of the helicopter when rolling it around.

I don't anticipate this being a very difficult project, and I can see myself finishing this easily in 2-3 weeks. I will have to order some orange parts (as this model will need lots of orange ofc), but other than that everything should come pretty easily. The only difficult parts I see are getting all the functions inside a tight space and making sure the helicopter has plenty of structural integrity.

So far I'm about halfway done with the cockpit section. I still need to add an interior and some more orange pieces, and then it's on to the nitty gritty stuff.

Photos:

DL34bc2.jpg

Y29nG1g.jpg

KsulEVi.jpg

ynPpQrW.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 2/4/19

I've made some decent progress here - the cab is complete and work is starting on the main body. Despite my initial concerns with structural integrity the body as a whole is very robust. I know the battery box takes up some space - there wasn't anywhere else good for it.

I know there are some shortcomings with the bodywork, especially with the odd placement of panels and other details. I left some gaps in the bodywork on purpose - I'm trying to build it loose rather than "fill everything in". The 20T gear on the roof turns the front landing gear, and although the main rotor will be in the way when it is installed, there is no need to steer the helicopter when it's "in the air" so it shouldn't be a problem.

The exposed motor and gears aren't too visually appealing, but as I add details beneath the main rotor they should be covered up. The double set of clutch gears prevent the heavy rotor from slipping too easily, but ensure the motor can keep running even when the rotor is obstructed. The drive axle for the rotor will also be connected to a winch mechanism that can be engaged with a driving ring. 

I anticipate finishing this project by the end of the week, or sometime next week. This will leave me with plenty of time to film before the deadline.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

z0Oo0gO.jpg

hruWR9X.jpg

E33JtFk.jpg

gSEDJWS.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

24 minutes ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Can’t wait to see more!!

Thanks! I placed a Bricklink order for some orange pieces today, and I'll post an update once some more progress is made.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 2/10/19

The core of the helicopter has been completed, with the rotor and winch in place. The rotor is powered at all times by the motor and the winch is engaged by a driving ring. I know the old metal hook might be a bit too large but I prefer it over a tiny plastic hook. I'm not sure what the lifting mechanism looks like under a real Sikorsky S-64 as pictures often have whatever cargo they're carrying blocking that region, but I guess this setup does its job. :classic:

The building process is essentially just coasting from here on out. Most of the complex mechanisms are in place and the only mechanical element that is missing right now is the tail rotor. I still have to add the rear "legs" (whatever you call those things with the rear landing gear), the rest of the body and some body panels/details, but there isn't anything really challenging left in the build and I anticipate finishing the model this coming week.

Unfortunately it's been a week since I placed my Bricklink order and I still have not received it. The status does not seem to show much progress either. I'll see what happens - I may have to compromise and buy some sets from local stores for parts if the order doesn't arrive by the middle of the week. I will be away this coming weekend so I'll have to have the MOC done by Friday in order to get it in before the contest closes.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

gqUANjw.jpg

2KSNKs9.jpg

MMmf3KK.jpg

Hag7ra8.jpg

LRB1uyx.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

I don't have much experience with Bricklink, I got my entire collection from buying sets. So I can't be of much help there unfortunately...

As for your build: looks very good sofar, could be official TLG set! Hope you get your parts supply sorted before the deadline, good luck!!

So far it looks nice; about briclink order - it depends on shipping method...

On 2/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, Rudivdk said:

I don't have much experience with Bricklink, I got my entire collection from buying sets. So I can't be of much help there unfortunately...

As for your build: looks very good sofar, could be official TLG set! Hope you get your parts supply sorted before the deadline, good luck!!

On 2/11/2019 at 5:10 AM, I_Igor said:

So far it looks nice; about briclink order - it depends on shipping method...

The order arrived yesterday! I finished the MOC last night and I'll be uploading the photos and video shortly.

Edited by JLiu15
Bricklink order for MOC arrived

UPDATE 2/14/19

The Sikorsky S-64 has been completed!

Functions:

• Motorized rotors (connected to motor at all times)
  • Motorized winch (connected to motor via engagement of a driving ring)
  • HoG steering

Photos:

40139080703_0946c24ae4_b.jpg

32161865057_527b0b2dfd_b.jpg

40139080593_71f0f5105c_b.jpg

32161864847_fc98ee2ffd_b.jpg

40139080493_2b174c1d37_b.jpg

40139080393_e30f6fa557_b.jpg

46190016055_a3d3efcb2b_b.jpg

46190015895_020db4c367_b.jpg

Edited by JLiu15
Replaced photos due to minor design flaw

7 hours ago, erikhortsch said:

sweet!

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

Looks good!

2 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Great that you managed in time, looks good!

Thank you guys!

I don't know how, but somehow I managed to miss this whole topic from start to end, even though I think you and I have been building almost the exact same model, independently of each other. Which is cool, because it's fun to see the differences.

Most obviously, your model is motorized, which adds a lot, becuase the rotor moves much more smoothly. You don't have the tilt control of the blades, which is understandable, because you used the little space you have, for other stuff (function switch & motorized winch). I think your model is therefore more of a playmodel than mine, and much more fun to operate. I may have more functions and it may be more complex, but it's also much less playable and harder to use. Your model seems to work really smoothly. Your steering also seems easier to operate, as it's geared down a bit.

I think the only thing you could have added to make it even more playable, is a container that could be used with the winch. But, contrary to mine, your model has a proper hook that can be used to grab anything. Again, more playable.

Bodywork-wise, one thing I really like of your model is that it's actually orange. It's the ideal use of orange, and the color works really well here. I was at first not sure about the green bits, but they actually work well as a little accent. Makes it just that bit more interesting than just the rather common orange-black combo. Also, your top greebles (engines) look closer to the original. And it's fully studless, which is more in the spirit of current sets.

One thing I notice is that your model seems rather tall. I think it's the orange 3x11x2 panel you placed vertically at the back of the cabin, that caused the model to be taller than the reference. Maybe a 3x7x2 panel would fit better, but it's a rather rare part you may not own yet. The rear wheel legs are therefore also rather long (and their shape a bit jagged, but that's what you get if you work with a somewhat-rare color, I guess). I'm afraid the slightly-off proportions may cost you some votes. The long gray axles running over the top of the tail are a nice detail.

All in all I think it's a really nice model, which as @Rudivdk said, could indeed work well as a set.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, Erik Leppen said:

I don't know how, but somehow I managed to miss this whole topic from start to end, even though I think you and I have been building almost the exact same model, independently of each other. Which is cool, because it's fun to see the differences.

Most obviously, your model is motorized, which adds a lot, becuase the rotor moves much more smoothly. You don't have the tilt control of the blades, which is understandable, because you used the little space you have, for other stuff (function switch & motorized winch). I think your model is therefore more of a playmodel than mine, and much more fun to operate. I may have more functions and it may be more complex, but it's also much less playable and harder to use. Your model seems to work really smoothly. Your steering also seems easier to operate, as it's geared down a bit.

I think the only thing you could have added to make it even more playable, is a container that could be used with the winch. But, contrary to mine, your model has a proper hook that can be used to grab anything. Again, more playable.

Bodywork-wise, one thing I really like of your model is that it's actually orange. It's the ideal use of orange, and the color works really well here. I was at first not sure about the green bits, but they actually work well as a little accent. Makes it just that bit more interesting than just the rather common orange-black combo. Also, your top greebles (engines) look closer to the original. And it's fully studless, which is more in the spirit of current sets.

One thing I notice is that your model seems rather tall. I think it's the orange 3x11x2 panel you placed vertically at the back of the cabin, that caused the model to be taller than the reference. Maybe a 3x7x2 panel would fit better, but it's a rather rare part you may not own yet. The rear wheel legs are therefore also rather long (and their shape a bit jagged, but that's what you get if you work with a somewhat-rare color, I guess). I'm afraid the slightly-off proportions may cost you some votes. The long gray axles running over the top of the tail are a nice detail.

All in all I think it's a really nice model, which as @Rudivdk said, could indeed work well as a set.

Thanks for your opinion! I actually decided to built this back in early 2017 but cancelled it due to plans for BrickFair Virginia that year. I came into the contest kinda late, so I guess it's understandable why you missed the WIP but I was fortunate enough to get it finished well in advance of the contest closing date.

I know there are some shortcomings with the model too, and the legs with the rear landing gear is perhaps the biggest one here. I wanted to use the common bent beams here for structural integrity, but they bend at an angle that is way too steep compared to the original. If I were to have built it closer to the actual angle it probably would have ended up very flimsy, and that wouldn't be good since they contain the rear landing gear. 

I was going to make a container for the video only, but considering how hard it would be to film it I decided against it.

Anyways, thanks for your honest opinion. It's comments like these that help me make better MOCS.