Leewan

[MOC] Fus Ro Dah !

Hi,

I've recently (well, more or less, I began working on it late September) built a MOC inspired by the video game The Elders Scrolls V : Skyrim :

46814906321_17860c42bd_z.jpg

For those who don't know the game, the name of the scene comes from a power the main character possesses : the Voice. It allows you to use Shouts which have different effects on your character, your ennemies, or the environment. Having appeared in the the game trailer and subsequently become a meme, Fus Ro Dah is the most famous Shout of the game, which sends other characters and animals flying away.

I've been wanting to build a scene from the game for a long time, and while playing it a few months ago, I realized the then-newly released Power Burst shields could be a good representation of the Shouts. To make the action visually striking, I knew couldn't place the characters on ground level, so I decided to build a small cliff where I would place the protagonist. A mere rock was a tad boring, so I've added a ruined tower on top of it, and a tree :

39849655153_c581469bf6_z.jpg

46814929321_d57c4113f4_z.jpg

46762451702_0fbfba5c7d_z.jpg

I wanted, for each of these elements, to try something new. The cliff is made of 21 one different blocks, each attached to the main structure with Mixel joints. I started from the ground to the top, building each block as I went. I didn't have enough parts to build them from scratch, so instead of ordering a large amount of various slopes, I used Mecabricks to build the MOC digitally first. Thanks to this, I can easily show how the structure looks like without having to disassemble the MOC, and show what each block is made of precisely :

46815967251_fde1e725ac_z.jpg

46763483042_7b78c68e28_z.jpg

The tower is built in a similar manner, except the blocks are stacked and not attached to a hidden structure. Each block is then precisely rotated to eliminate gaps between the curved slopes. Here's how the tower is designed :

46763470682_3f7078462f_z.jpg

Only the tree wasn't made with Mecabricks, because I wanted a level of randomness that's easier to attain while building physically directly. The design is based on the large pine tree for which you can find a tutorial on brickbuilt.org, but I wanted to add my own spin to the design and used the tree trunk costume to build the trunk. Not the strongest design, to be honest. And, finally, to add an extra threat to our poor thief, I've added a smilodon. Thank you Lego City !

More pictures can be found in the flickr album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/126493865@N07/albums/72157677926071838

Hope you'll enjoy it !

Interesting build.  I like the rockwork technique, looks really good.  The tree is pretty cool too.  The building has some nice texturing.  The figs are great especially the feature with the blast pieces.  

Wow - using the Mixel pieces to arrange the almost seamless rockwork is a very clever idea. Those power burst shields are perfect as traces of magic. Great MOC!

Woah, the wall technique is amazing, while also being very sturdy to build on. I like the tree, but prefer the bush at ground-level, TBH. I am unfamiliar with the game, but think that your usage of the magic blast pieces is ingenious. Well done, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

The cliff is brilliantly made, I don't think I've seen that technique before. But how on *earth* did you keep the power bursts and minifigure suspended in the air? No telltale trans-clear rods or anything...

@zoth33, @jamesn, @Reaper, @rodiziorobs, @Nantucketdink, @The Last of Nergoue : Thank you all ! I wanted to try something new and truly different for this MOC, and I'm glad people like it.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, blackdeathgr said:

A funny build and thanks for sharing with us the building procedure!

Thanks ! I always enjoy seeing how MOCs were made, what kind of challenges the builder faced, what kind of technique they used and why, so I try to do that myself, I find it interesting. And we're on a forum, so I might as well talk about how the MOC is built, rather than simply post pictures and leave. :wink:

7 minutes ago, EVE said:

The cliff is brilliantly made, I don't think I've seen that technique before. But how on *earth* did you keep the power bursts and minifigure suspended in the air? No telltale trans-clear rods or anything...

giphy.gif

No, actually there are trans-clear parts, but I've edited the pictures to hide them. Actually, to make each picture I've composited four photos : one without the bursts, one with the very first one, another with two bursts, and a fourth one with all of the three bursts. The "real" MOC that's sitting on my shelf looks rather like this :

45993448315_7aa79dd68d_b.jpg

:grin:

Awesome diorama and building technique! If only we had Skyrim Sets in stores instead of them stupid Overwatch...

Fantastic work! I love that you showed us the "color coded" WIP images, you used some really interesting techniques on the cliff!

Thank you for sharing the coloured detail pictures on how you went about building the rocky cliff. That is an amazing technique. The entire build is very enticing. It is a lovely vibrant scene. 

The Fus Do Rah title drawed me in here:sweet: Massive fan of the TES series, and I really like this diorama of it. Captures the vibe of Skyrim really well!

Very cool building techniques as well, never seen anything like it before. Great build!