LM71Blackbird

[GoC] Artillery Field Testing

[GoC] Artillery Field Testing

46822294011_c79deb0651_c.jpgArtillery Testing 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

A ways out from the city limits of the settlement of Quinnsville, some artillery soldiers are doing field tests on some newly invented weaponry out of the Cannon Foundry.

31880992247_c031a20a51_c.jpgArtillery Testing 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The mayor, Richard Brickford, was invited to come out and watch the weapon trials. Being a veteran of the Juniper War, a little gunfire didn't bother him in the slightest.

46822293081_8569b8a46f_c.jpgArtillery Testing 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

One of the new weapons being tested is a new long range field gun, able to fire cannonballs great distances and if all goes well, explode on impact.

31880991507_bd01c386b3_c.jpgArtillery Testing 4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The other weapon being tested was a slightly comical looking contraption. However, it may prove useful on the battlefield with it's many barrels being able to be fired in rapid succession.

46822291591_42daf95967_c.jpgArtillery Testing 7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

It turned out to be a pleasant afternoon without any serious incident or anything blowing up, much to the delight of the officer conducting the trials!

------------------------------

My first entry for the Glory of Corrington Patron of the Army tasks! I was looking some stuff up and came across a 17th century field gun and I had to try and build it in bricks. It is based off of a Falconet Field Gun. The multi-barreled gun is based off of a super early machine gun design by Leonardo Da Vinci. C&C are welcome and apprecieated and thanks for looking!

Not sure what something like this would be classed as, but if it's unable to be licensed it doesn't really matter that much to me.

@Bregir @Ayrlego @Captain Dee @SilentWolf

More photos in the spoiler:

Edited by LM71Blackbird

Nice scene for some redcoats and an interesting subject with the field testing for the artillery pieces. The organ gun especially appeals to me, the carriage is very nicely done although some of the barrels appear slightly off alignment - no doubt the experimental nature of the piece means that they haven't quite perfected it yet!

For feedback, I'm guessing you have a fairly limited selection of physical bricks, so I appreciate the effort made to vary the elevation using plates - it's come up quite well. I do like the attention to detail with the brown around the gun pits representing the high traffic areas although I'm not too sure about the lime green here. It's a hard colour to get right, @Puvel has some great examples (one, two, three) of lime green in vegetation.

All up a nice job. :thumbup:

Another Corries invention, I should follow its development closely. Nice scene.

3 hours ago, Bart said:

Your brickbuild gun and carriage is very good! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice scene for some redcoats and an interesting subject with the field testing for the artillery pieces. The organ gun especially appeals to me, the carriage is very nicely done although some of the barrels appear slightly off alignment - no doubt the experimental nature of the piece means that they haven't quite perfected it yet!

For feedback, I'm guessing you have a fairly limited selection of physical bricks, so I appreciate the effort made to vary the elevation using plates - it's come up quite well. I do like the attention to detail with the brown around the gun pits representing the high traffic areas although I'm not too sure about the lime green here. It's a hard colour to get right, @Puvel has some great examples (one, two, three) of lime green in vegetation.

All up a nice job. :thumbup:

Thank you! Yes, the organ gun is still in development, the off alignment of the barrels was intentional.

You would be correct about the limits of my bricks. I used about 97% of my green plates for this build, including the lime green. I'm glad you like the end result though!

22 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Another Corries invention, I should follow its development closely. Nice scene.

Thanks!

Nice build and custom guns, even if the prototype is a bit futuristic. The light green quarter-circles out front look a little odd, and perhaps a few more grass stems would fill it out a little better, but otherwise I like the arrangement and minifig selection and poses. I can tell it's plenty big enough, but what are the exact dimensions?

Approved by me. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Nice build and custom guns, even if the prototype is a bit futuristic. The light green quarter-circles out front look a little odd, and perhaps a few more grass stems would fill it out a little better, but otherwise I like the arrangement and minifig selection and poses. I can tell it's plenty big enough, but what are the exact dimensions?

Approved by me. :thumbup:

Thank you! The prototype is based off a design by Leonardo da Vinci from the late 1400s for a machine gun. So in this sense, its kind of old stuff revisited. Yeah, the light green pieces look a little odd. I don't have very many green plates. Same deal with the grass stems, I only have 7 of them in total...

The full dimensions are 16x32 for a stud count of 512.

I am in agreement with what has been said already. I like the various tools and weapons that you staged about the build. That gives the build a more dynamic feel. I also want to comment specifically on how great the guns turned out. Great job on those. I also was pleased with how the flagpole turned out in that the official pictures hid the flagpole base giving a view to the pe section which is the best part. As a future suggestion, have you considered giving your builds a border to set them off on the presentation? I know Ayrlego does it sometimes with great effect.

5 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

I am in agreement with what has been said already. I like the various tools and weapons that you staged about the build. That gives the build a more dynamic feel. I also want to comment specifically on how great the guns turned out. Great job on those. I also was pleased with how the flagpole turned out in that the official pictures hid the flagpole base giving a view to the pe section which is the best part. As a future suggestion, have you considered giving your builds a border to set them off on the presentation? I know Ayrlego does it sometimes with great effect.

Thank you!

I've thought about doing boarders before... I know I have enough tiles in the same color to go around a 16x16 base, not sure if I can do a 16x32... I will have to check though... Thanks for the suggestion!

Interesting guns, LM! My favourite is the falconet, but the multibarrel contraption is very interesting too.

With a limited amount of bricks available, I think you did a pretty good job of detailing the landscape, but (while I am not a landscape expert myself!) you may want to try to avoid symmetircal shapes or sharp lines separating colours. (The two lime green rounded plates look a little odd) If you have brown plates (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, etc - which I find to be some of the most versatile bricks ever, particularly in brown) you could perhaps have built up a little around the palisade, as if some dirt had been dug up to lower the timbers and piled up to support them.

I also think the idea of a border or base is great, particularly when the base is so think. It sometimes looks a little odd.

Storywise, you could perhaps have added a little more explanation about each gun - it may be because I am a former artillerist and technically interested, but I always like a little "technobabble" about ships, guns, etc. :)

Overall, nice little build - I think we would like to see some of the feedback included on the next build, but for this one, definitely a :thumbup: from me.

15 hours ago, Bregir said:

Interesting guns, LM! My favourite is the falconet, but the multibarrel contraption is very interesting too.

With a limited amount of bricks available, I think you did a pretty good job of detailing the landscape, but (while I am not a landscape expert myself!) you may want to try to avoid symmetircal shapes or sharp lines separating colours. (The two lime green rounded plates look a little odd) If you have brown plates (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, etc - which I find to be some of the most versatile bricks ever, particularly in brown) you could perhaps have built up a little around the palisade, as if some dirt had been dug up to lower the timbers and piled up to support them.

I also think the idea of a border or base is great, particularly when the base is so think. It sometimes looks a little odd.

Storywise, you could perhaps have added a little more explanation about each gun - it may be because I am a former artillerist and technically interested, but I always like a little "technobabble" about ships, guns, etc. :)

Overall, nice little build - I think we would like to see some of the feedback included on the next build, but for this one, definitely a :thumbup: from me.

Thank you!

For my next builds I will definitely take the feedback and hopefully get some even better builds!