It's finally here - my studless remake of the very first Technic helicopter:

800x600.jpg

It's been a bit of a long journey to get here, not only because of the work put into this model, but also because of the many failed TC15 entry ideas...

Originally, I had planed on building a replica of the Hoversurf S3 2019 Hoverbike (which is basically a quadcopter you can ride on), but the small size of Lego propellers restricted me to such a small size, that I just couldn't fit any functions into it.

Next, continuing the idea of some sort of quadcopter, I did some googling for other quadrotor aircraft, and although I managed to find some (in particular, the Curtiss-Wright VZ-7 and X-19), that idea also failed...

Then, after a few days of thinking, I decided to just make something completely different - a flight simulator, based on the 8485 Technic Control Center. With this idea, I actually managed to make enough progress to post a WIP topic, and stuck with it for a several weeks, until I sadly had to abandon that as well...

Finally, after trying and abandoning a few other ideas, and with only a few weeks left before the contest deadline, I stumbled across the idea of making a modern studless version of set 852 - the very first Technic helicopter, and one of the original four Technic sets released in 1977:

852-1.jpg

Fast forward 3 weeks, the contest deadline has thankfully extended by 2 weeks (thanks @Jim :classic:), and I've finally finished building...

800x600.jpg

Features:

• Full studless construction - not a single stud in sight!
  • Near perfect 3/4 scale (relative to the original set).
  • Accurate collective rotor pitch control - unlike the original, where the rotor pitch is decreased when the swash plate rises.
  • Manually powered drive train - can also be motorized, as seen in the video.

Video:

Instructions: (click on the image below to go to the Rebrickable page :wink:)

Instructions

Links:

Renders: (made with Blender)

800x450.jpg

Animation%20(Blender).gif

Original post:

Spoiler

So... After many failed ideas, I'm finally back in the competition, with a much simpler idea - to build a studless version of the very first Technic helicopter:

852-1.jpg

There's a few reasons why I've decided to build this:

1. I need something that I can actually finish before the end of TC15.
  2. I never ended up building something for Technic's 40th anniversary.
  3. 852, surprisingly, has never been remade with studless parts.

Now, so far I've only built the basic structure, with some of the drive system:

800x600.jpg

Now the question is, can I build, photograph, and video this before the deadline... :sceptic:

All WIP photos:

Spoiler

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

3.gif

4.gif

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by mocbuild101

3 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Don't forget that this model integrate a collective pitch control :classic:

Yes, I forget to mention that the rotor is currently only a temporary placeholder.

I was only thinking about this model yesterday - how weird is that?!

Does anyone remember the folded leaflet that had the fork lift, tractor, this set, car chassis and that blue go-kart? It was about 4 inches square i think... it was my first technic leaflet, ever.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Don't forget about B model also 

That will be my next project - I won't have time to build both for the contest :wink:

Small update...

I didn't have much time to build today, but I still thought I'd have a go at the main rotor:

800x600.jpg

Surprisingly, despite it's terrible construction, it actually works quite well...

You are building it in scale? It will be smaller than 852, for example that angled beam supporting its tail should be 15L, not 11L.

15 minutes ago, M_longer said:

You are building it in scale?

Sort of, I'm aiming for roughly 3/4 scale, but at the moment I'm kinda just trying to get the mechanics built.

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Sort of, I'm aiming for roughly 3/4 scale, but at the moment I'm kinda just trying to get the mechanics built.

Making it 1:1 would allow for more improvements, you know? ;)

Nice version, however I think the original Looks somewhat more compact / bigger - Maybe additional parts in red at the body's top would help ...

On 1/22/2019 at 10:46 PM, M_longer said:

Making it 1:1 would allow for more improvements, you know? ;)

Yes, but it would also mean that I'd need to build in even dimensions :wink:

On 1/23/2019 at 1:22 AM, Seasider said:

That’s a fantastic idea. Good luck 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Lovely modern edition! :blush:

Thanks!

Update time!

Over the last couple of days I managed to work out the design (well, the prototype at least) for both of the main functions - the drive train:

3.gif

And the collective pitch control:

4.gif

Also, as you probably already noticed, I added the angled front - just like the one the original has - and strengthened the seats. 

I guess it's about time for another update...

So, I took a bit of a break from building the last few days, as I decided to build the 42082 I bought a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately that means that I don't have anything to show right now, but I'll most likely have something in a day or two.

In the meantime, any feedback or suggestions for the above version (as that's pretty much what I have now) are more than welcome.

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

In the meantime, any feedback or suggestions for the above version (as that's pretty much what I have now) are more than welcome.

Looks fine so far, but I would replace the black liftarms in the landing skid with axles and connectors. Liftarms look oversimplified. This part of the original design is studless, so why not to use it?

33 minutes ago, kodlovag said:

I would replace the black liftarms in the landing skid with axles and connectors. Liftarms look oversimplified.

Yeah, I think you're right... I was going for a more modern look/style, but in the end it just doesn't look right... 

Edit: Now that I think of it, I probably should also also apply the same change to the other places I've done that...

Edited by mocbuild101

Update!

I've had a bit more time to work on this the last few days, and I've made many improvements since the last update:

• Redesigned and extended the tail slightly.
  • Redesigned the rotor and mechanism/drive train.
  • Moved the whole rotor assembly 1 stud forward.
  • Replaced liftarms on landing skids with connectors and axles.
  • Thickened the red section below the rotor.

800x600.jpg

Next I need to redesign the rotor again, as it's currently way too heavy...

Edited by mocbuild101

Update time again!

Just a few more changes:

• Redesigned main rotor assembly (again).
  • Shortened back of seats by 1 stud.
  • Added small detailing between seats.

800x600.jpg

@Rudivdk Here's a nice photo of the original (from Technicopedia) for a direct comparison:

852iso.JPG

Edited by mocbuild101

This is one of my all time favourite sets and the only one on display in our living room. Excellent implementation in studless bricks! Good idea to change the connection of the landing gear to the main body to better reflect the original. Also nice use of the 40 years brick.

I hope you will consider making instructions...

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

I hope you will consider making instructions...

Absolutely, I already have it mostly built digitally, and I will be making the instructions as soon as I've finished the entry (photos, video, etc) :wink:

Expect the instructions to be available in a couple of weeks or so.

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Absolutely, I already have it mostly built digitally, and I will be making the instructions as soon as I've finished the entry (photos, video, etc) :wink:

Expect the instructions to be available in a couple of weeks or so.

Great! I really appreciate it and look forward to building your replica ... Thanks!

Nice! I like the subtle final tweaks, makes the model just that little bit more consistent. A worthy studless successor:thumbup:

Good to see the entries finished one by one, looks like we will have a good number of contestants.

Edited by Rudivdk
Typos...