derEselausErgste

Former Total Noob (now just noob) starts Castle Project

It's time for an update, and this time it will be real WiP - please prepare to be imaginative :laugh:

I made a start with the "inner castle", that will be a main part of the northern rampart. It is a small castle for it's own, with a tower called "keep" - without beeing a real keep, but who cares. We start with a birds eye look. Easy to see it is a total chaos right now. When fitted to the rest of the walls, the whole thing will be turned by some 45 to 66 degrees to the right. The castle itself is shaped as a rectangle, some 65cm wide and 45cm deep. At the moment I am using base plates, but i will change to normal plates, as base plates are always a pain to combine. 

img_20200222_175155vdjn3.jpg

Next a look from at the front - it will face to the south-east later on. The small tower in the middle is the gate house, as we can see at the following pic. The path leading to the gate (coming from left) is still missing. OK, honestly spoken nearly everything else is missing also at the moment. On the right side we can see the beginning of a tower, left from the gate house there is the base level of the future hall and kitchen building.

img_20200222_175134ockju.jpg

A look at the gate from what will be south afterwards. As we can see, horses will not be able to enter this part of the castle.

img_20200222_175123x6kvj.jpg

The look from the east. 

img_20200222_17521769knh.jpg

The last pic should grant the best overview. The gate house reaches 34cm at the moment, but the front facing buildings should come to a height of about 45cm, and the "keep" will be higher of course.

timg_20200222_175013ulkni.jpg

Can You imagine how it will look like in the end? I cant *huh*

Edited by derEselausErgste

Posted (edited)

As time goes by...the inner castle grows. I changed the design of the front battlement roof, and all in all it becomes bigger and bigger - much bigger than I planned in the beginning :sceptic: 

img_20200320_1650091hkrs.jpg

img_20200320_17242934kn3.jpgimg_20200320_1724527xk8k.jpg

The small tudor building on the wall will be just a link between the building on the left (kitchen/hall/bower) and the tower to the right, so both parts will be higher than the tudor.

img_20200320_172718f1kc6.jpgimg_20200320_172730sjkad.jpgimg_20200320_172706iyj1m.jpg

The western wing is new. It will contain the Kitchen, a hall (above) and the bowers (side wing to the front). Easy to see I "borrowed" the kitchen design from Soccerkid6 - lots of thanks to him. The arcades are a mostly 1:1-copy of his arcades at the "Cider Cellar MOC", the kitchen itself looks a lot like his "Harburg Kitchen MOC". I love both MOCs, indeed :classic: Presently the tiler is at work, afterwards the stove fitter will start.
To the west the front will be covered with some battlements. 

img_20200320_172640wck03.jpg

The look from the back (north) shows total chaos right now. At the end of the kitchen (here: in front of the kitchen)  the keep will be founded.

img_20200320_1725146rjwk.jpg

A look from above. At least the keep has to be built as a seperate module, as the inner castle right now weighs 8kgs already and will easely reach some 15-17 kgs in the end. 

It is quite clear a will need some dedicated room for the castle as soon as possible. Thats no problem in general, but i will have to uninstall my model railway. Thats a pitty, but it is necessary. 

Looking good so far! I also am doing a WIP castle, so it's fun to see what you're doing and how we're differing. Good idea on using technic for the supports.

It's coming along really well! The overall fortress layout looks very natural, and I like the civilian buildings you're starting to add.

One little technique I can't recall seeing before is where you used mixel joints as torch sconces :thumbup:

I'm honored to have inspired the kitchen area :sweet:

Thank You all for your compliments!

@soccerkid6: You will not believe how many ideas I've already borrowed from You - or am planning to do so. Man, I think I spent houndreds of hours looking at Your tutorials at Brickbuilt, just awesome :sweet: the mixed joints are some kind of idea fall-out: I bought big amounts of them for a future forest section around the castle, and the mixed joints trees are - of course - also taken from You. The whole castle will be some kind of tribute to You in the end.

Posted (edited)

Today just a small handicraft. The hall above the kitchen will need some windows - not just open breakthroughs, but real windows with glas. I made some tests and finally decided for this design:

img_20200329_1601334bjib.jpg

There is one small mistake: the middle traverse should end with one brick 49307 (Brick, Modified 1 x 1 x 2/3 No Studs, Curved Top), but presently I have this one only in lavender *huh* - Bricklink will send help soon.

Ok, one more problem: easy to see the width of the wall / window is uneven, and as the windows should fit to the archs below, I will have to jumper the whole front (unless somebody has a better idea). But should work.

This is an amazing project to follow along with. Very cool to watch the progress and upgrades you've  made along the way. I have always wanted to do something like this but time and space are limited right now. Maybe in the future :)  Thank you for sharing, love what you've done, and can't  wait to see what's next..