derEselausErgste

Former Total Noob (now just noob) starts Castle Project

4 hours ago, Sarophas said:

Just wow, the scale gets more and more impressive! Revisiting and changing your previous builds have payed off I'd say. How small do you plan to make the new tower? I'm thinking that a "bigger" tower would also look very impressive at the main gate, but I can also see your point of having the inner layer be taller (if that is what you meant?). In any case, I know you'll make it look amazing :wink:

Thanks a lot. That’s exactly my intention, This new tower will work as a bastion, guarding three sides. The owl tower will be linked to the stewards house, so it will not be standing solitaire. When this is done, I will go on with the inner castle - hopefully I will have an idea how it should look like, because presently I have no clue.

Sounds very interesting (I somehow can't read that without it sounding sarcastic :grin:).

As for ideas I've looked at some castles/fortresses that (in very broad terms) relate to your layout. Karlštejn castle, Kost castle, Bouzov castle (the old/red shingled part), Orava castle. These are all from the Czech republic or Slovakia. Of course one of my favorites from Germany is Wernigerode castle. I think they all have some decent "layering" where the middle rises above the outer walls/defenses. Hope this helps a bit and happy building :sweet:

Just a first try. I wanted this tower to look sturdy and solid instead of tall - and at least a bit different from the rest. To be honest, I am not dissatisfied - but the slate shingles cost a hell of cheese...I will have to order new ones...

20210623_20113542jyq.jpg

20210623_201412iqjd6.jpg

Next site: the inner castle. The more I am going on with, the more chaotic it looks. And honestly, I still have no idea how it will look in the end...

First we have to explore the cellar level. Wooden stairs lead down, and will lead to some mysterious doors - and the most mysterious is the locked iron grill - whats behind? It's not a dungeon, but perhaps a secret passage to the outside? We will see.

20210627_1403227ukr0.jpg

20210627_1405570mjts.jpg

The 2-winged door leads down to the gate. In the upper floor (not existing yet) the castellan finds his rooms, and to the right the kitchen begins.

20210627_140342ucjh4.jpg

A first try with one of the big glas windows, that will light the dining hall above the kitchen. Not really bad, but I am not glad about the link between the big arch and the window. Any idea will be welcome :classic:

20210627_140424qbjam.jpg

A look from above. The girders will support the dining halls floor. Just wood, nothing special. Remember, this is just a small castle, not the earls residence, so everything is small, simple and pragmatic. 

20210627_145040dajik.jpg

Looks as fragile as it is. Unfortunately the tracery is seven studs wide, but the stained glas behind needs eight studs. So I have to jumper the whole front to fit above the arches below...

20210627_171524ibjoh.jpg

Edited by derEselausErgste

The inner castle has grown a bit...

20210718_160607ovkh3.jpg

The big arched window marks the dining hall behind. The window frames have to be changed to LBG, as I had not a sinngle grey one within my stocks. The tower got a new top - its the third or even fourth right now, but this time i will stick to it. The left corner is still in work (as the whole castle is)...

20210718_160637agj1u.jpg

Thats the corner we are talking about. It houses the Earls bedroom - if he is present, what he normally is not. Remember, its just a small castle, not the residence of a great lord.

20210718_160733rhj7z.jpg

The inner yard. I should install some lighting within the dining hall, as the glas windows look quite nice if lighted. I wanted to get the roof not as boring as the rest, so I thought it would be a nice idea to have a chance to sweep the chimneys...Chimchimeny :classic: ...no sweepers in the middle ages? I dont care...

20210718_16065053jsx.jpg

A first idea for some roofed battlements. The posts seem to be okay, but the roof itself is not. So I will have to make some more tries.

20210718_1612050hkr9.jpg

An assortment of Avalonian militia, loitering around the western castel face. Just to get an idea about the dimensions. The militia is to few to attack the castle with any prospect of success, and to bad to defend it successfully. But it looks terrific...

50% of the inner castle should be done so far. It gets more and more difficult to make proper pictures. When I'm done with it, I will look for a professional fotographer with a professional studio to get some nice pictures - in the meantime we will stick to what I call a picture - so sad *huh*

:wub::pir-wub::cry_happy:

sooo good!

So many details, the changes in colour, the techniques - especially in respect of protecting from too big gaps etc. I get the desire to sit down with you and play siege of this castle :laugh:

I hope you, your life and family but also your art (yes Lego mocs are art as much as Mona Lisa is) are safe from the floodings!

14 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

:wub::pir-wub::cry_happy:

sooo good!

So many details, the changes in colour, the techniques - especially in respect of protecting from too big gaps etc. I get the desire to sit down with you and play siege of this castle :laugh:

I hope you, your life and family but also your art (yes Lego mocs are art as much as Mona Lisa is) are safe from the floodings!

Thanks a lot. Being in Berlin right now, I am far away from the floodings, and I do not know somebody who is affected, but floods are near to biblical, and so many people have suffered - its a real disaster!

The regular update - whatever "regular" means :blush:

The roof of the battlement has been reworked, and I think it looks better now:

20210801_152238lkkxf.jpg

20210801_152313vyjm1.jpg

In the background the ridge turret of the small chapel I added today.

20210801_152452omje9.jpg

I think, there will be a real church within the castle walls, but You can not expect the earl to visit divine service together with merchants, craftsmen and peasants, so a small chapel within the inenr castle makes sense.

A look from above. Not a lot of space inside, but its still a small castle. The ground has to be tiled, but thats something for the very end.

20210801_152628eajoa.jpg

Two thirds of the inner castle have been done. Still missing are some estate builings, rooms for the garrison and of cause the keep. 

It's looking great! The battlement turned out amazing, especially the detail on the woodwork makes it look more realistic :thumbup: Also the area underneath is very well done (I'm talking about the parapet) the way that it is just slightly protruding gives it a great effect imo. Always a pleasure to see this project updated, now I feel like building something huge and impressive like this.. although my brick supply might disagree :laugh:

On 8/1/2021 at 4:30 PM, Wurger49 said:

love the regular updates, keen to learn!

Thanks! I would like to update more often, but time is scarce.

20 hours ago, Sarophas said:

It's looking great! The battlement turned out amazing, especially the detail on the woodwork makes it look more realistic :thumbup: Also the area underneath is very well done (I'm talking about the parapet) the way that it is just slightly protruding gives it a great effect imo. Always a pleasure to see this project updated, now I feel like building something huge and impressive like this.. although my brick supply might disagree :laugh:

Thank You. The brick supply...dont remind me of that. The standards are the biggest problem - presently I am getting short on LBG 1x2 and 1x4 bricks (both quite expensive currently, and I dont have a clue why), and 45° red slopes are almost done. 

I dont like the look of the chapels ridge turret. Too big for the small chapel, and it looks much too "modern" and not detailed enough. I will replace it by something neat, but to be honest I dont have an idea yet. So hints are welcome :classic:

Ah yes the LBG-hole, no matter how many you buy, you always end up needing more :cry2: I have no idea how this would fit with your overall ideas/plans, but maybe instead of having a dedicated building for the chapel, it could be integrated into one of the larger buildings, like the living quarters for the lord? So it's basically just a room with chapel interior.

This is the case for Sønderborg Castle's chapel, it's in a later style, but the point remains. (just using that one because I used to live in the city :wink:)

Maybe having big stained glass windows or something to distinguish it a bit from the rest could help?

On 8/3/2021 at 3:48 PM, Sarophas said:

...I have no idea how this would fit with your overall ideas/plans, but maybe instead of having a dedicated building for the chapel, it could be integrated into one of the larger buildings, like the living quarters for the lord? So it's basically just a room with chapel interior.

Tataa! Thanks to BardDandelion and his Forefather's Eve-MOC, the chapels ridge turret looks much better now - thanks a lot!!! 

20210815_163225fok2i.jpg

On 8/7/2021 at 4:46 AM, jtooker said:

I'm loving these detailed shots!

Hope You will love these too - as my prgress this weekend is...manageable. Extended the rear battlements and started with what I will call a keep, even if it's none. Just a kind of "last shelter", separated from the inner castle by a narrow moat, filled with muddy water, crossed by a small rack. Presently just ideas, as I didnt managed to build more than a part of the outer walls...

20210815_163300psj2n.jpg

20210815_163322ofkof.jpg

Thats all for this weekend. More to come :wink:

P.S. Building rocks is a pain in the...You know what it is...

I do like these shots too.  Building rock has always been hard for me too, though I'm getting a bit faster at it after a few years.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, jtooker said:

I do like these shots too.  Building rock has always been hard for me too, though I'm getting a bit faster at it after a few years.

Glad You like it. Today it's Sunday, und Sunday means it is time for the next update.

I had to get an idea about the "keeps" dimensions, and so I decided to go on with the inner walls section. Thats the one that will rise up from the moat - the not yet existing moat. The idea for the construction has been taken from Soccerkid6's "Militia Mishaps"-MoC - as so many other ideas. 

20210822_141814diky5.jpg

20210822_14185689kuc.jpg

The two protruding piers will take the substructure of the rack crossing the moat.

20210822_142119jgk99.jpg

A first trial run. The whole section has to be adjusted as it is "flying" at the moment, but more or less it fits into.

20210822_1421464nkl9.jpg

A shot from above. For the first time its possible to get a kind of idea about the whole inner castle, at least about its dimensions.

Another holiday, another update :classic:

20211003_155944bckps.jpg

20211003_160000vwjgh.jpg

20211003_160015tbjus.jpg

20211003_16002826jkh.jpg

20211003_160050tukzi.jpg

20211003_16012951knh.jpg

20211003_160114scjps.jpg

The keep is nearly done. I will have to rework the different roofs - of cause the roof to the moat is still unfinished. And the roof of the small side tower is ridiculous, looks lioke an exploding mushroom...
The style is a little bit different from the rest, because the keep is the oldest part of the inner castle and the whole settlement. And it is the strongest part of the battlements.

20211003_160637xijxp.jpg

The back side of the inner castle. Still a lot to do, but at least better than the front side.

Autumn starts, so it is time to go on. I spent some of the hot summer evenings to think about the use of the Owl Tower. As one of the oldest buildings it had been taken from the front wall last wintertime, and so I decided to integrate him into a new building, a combination of Guild Hall and Stewards Residence.

img_20220904_12361474ycclg.jpg

The guy on the ground? No idea what he is doing there...
As You can see, its the first time I added some tiles to the ground, but of course most of the ground wont look as stylish as it looks here. The guild spent a lot of money for a stylish look, and I am not sure if they will be happy with fish being sold here...?!

img_20220904_123703791bil5.jpg

The back side of the Guild Hall, the Stewards Residence. Quite a tiny building.

img_20220904_123558984ee1w.jpg

A view from above, showing the existing modules. Left in front the main gate, the Owl Tower with its sorrounding buildings in the center. On the left back we can see the inner castle.

img_20220904_12373553u1iir.jpg

Lookingthrough the gate, we see the corner tower of the Stewards residence, and the still "naked" walls of the inner castle in the background.

img_20220904_123853934ad16.jpg

The inner castle looks quite big, compared to the rest of the modules. The open Space at 11 a clock will get a stable and some walls. The center will take the market place, with tudors and some workshops surrounding to the east and south. At 6 a clock a small gate will give farmers access to the market. I think, 80% of the building structures are completed. On we go...