derEselausErgste

Former Total Noob (now just noob) starts Castle Project

This is insane! I really love what you've started, and I can't wait for the finished castle!

Thanks mates! But if i go on like before, it will take months until I am finished *huh*

Lets have a quick look on todays work. Its not a lot, as my time has been limited. 
I just went on with the old pallas building. The intermediate ceiling is in, and also a part of the roof. I am still lacking any interior, and i am not happy about the base of the roof itself, but in general its quite ok so far. But as already mentioned before, this will take lots of time.

img_1136jxkq4.jpg

img_113776jyl.jpg

img_1138fxknw.jpg

img_1139u2jtn.jpg

img_1140kmksv.jpg

img_1141pfkdi.jpg

This is getting more and more impressive!  Thanks for the updates, it's really cool to see how such a castle is built.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

This is getting more and more impressive!  Thanks for the updates, it's really cool to see how such a castle is built.

You're welcome :classic: 

Honestly, my building techniques are really oldfashioned, and so is the result. Four weeks ago i never heared something like SNOT, and 95% of my creation is just sticking bricks on one another like 50 years ago (ok, 40 to be exact). After all I can say I am learning when building, slowly but surely.
 i still don't have a clear plan what this castle is going to look in the end. My first plan has been to build something like Hogwarts, but in Minifig scale - 2x 71043 and 2x 75954 are still awaiting to contribute their bricks for this purpose. As their colour as well as style differ a lot from the actual stone grey I am using for the first buildings, the idea is to have an "old" part, an once castle which now is used as an outer baley (thats why I am talking about the "old" pallas), and a "new" part that is a palace as well as a castle. However we will see where this train steams to.

What will be next? Aside to the keep (which in practice is more a "Bergfried" than a keep as it is impossible to live within) there will be the gatehouse with a drawbridge and a portcullis. Next to the pallas we will have the guard barracks, and then a small woodden gate for daily use, marketeers, farmers and so on. Inside we will also find some half-timbered buildings, stables and storage buildings. And least the palace itself...

All in all: a lot to do.

P.S.   I like Your Avatar. It reminds me on my first castle set 383 - i was ill staying in bed, and my mother brought this one when she gets home after work. But I am sorry, the guy with the black visor always lost :laugh: 

P.P.S the fireside in the pallas looks ridiculous, I think I have to make a new one...

Edited by derEselausErgste

Apropos: the mentioned Varäger attack(think thats Varangian in English) leads us to the location of the castle. Somewhere at the coastline or near a bigger, shipable river. In real life we should look somewhere in the Baltics for a Building like that.

It's getting bigger and bigger, nice to see the updates, already looks really cool. I like the classic feeling to it. reminds me of the old castle sets. I hope they will bring castle back soon.

20 minutes ago, Servertijd said:

It's getting bigger and bigger, nice to see the updates, already looks really cool. I like the classic feeling to it. reminds me of the old castle sets. I hope they will bring castle back soon.

New castle sets would be cool indeed, but i fear not cool enough for todays kids, so I have my doubts if we will se a new castle series in the near future.
Many thanks for the "classic" feeling - sounds much better than "oldfashioned" :laugh:

Just a very short update: the pallas-module gets more and more finished - at least the buildings themselves. 

img_11631zjy8.jpg

img_1160t8jgz.jpg

img_1161ipj8u.jpg

Some details are not finalized yet - as allways. To the left the next module will be placed, containing the guards barracks and the mess hall. This will also close the space underneath the stairs, which isn't a nice look currently. I use panels only if I can't see them later....

The donkey is slow, and even slower when building interior. I'm sorry, but today I only managed to lay the floor inside the mess, install a fireside and some tiny wooden panelling. 
Perhaps I will find some time in the evening, but i will be glad if i manage to build up the ceiling to the 1st floor.

img_1166nvj2j.jpg

img_1167npjpy.jpg

On we go. The mess hall is nearly finished - except for details and guests of course. Next will be the wooden ceiling. As you can see, the wardrobe is still empty.

img_1170rlkah.jpg

img_1169p8jmc.jpg

img_1171takuq.jpg

First try sticking the mess hall module to the pallas module. At the moment the whole site is chaos. On the right You can see the base of a new tower - not as big and tall as the already existing Bergfried, but strong enough to defend the peasants gate which will follow with the next module.
I changed to oriel, but it's still ugly. I desperately need an idea for a nicer one!
img_11728gka8.jpgI

img_1173gzko5.jpg

Alfred does what he does best - nothing...

Just a typical noob question: to found a settlement, buildings in at least 5 different categories are needed. Are we talking about single, standalone buildings, or is it ok if some of these buildings are part of a bigger Building - a castle to be exakt?!

I would have thought that if you're focusing on building a castle, things such as blacksmith's shops or grocers should be standalone buildings *within* the castle's baileys. Do whatever you want, though - this build is really coming along, and I enjoy the updates.

Thanks mate :classic:

At present the whole scenery looks very rough. I hope this will change as soon as some landscape, plants a.s.o. have been added. All in all I am also not satisfied with my walls in general - to clean, to grey and to boring. 

Here we are. So let's have a closer look on the guards house.

First we have the site before installing the ceiling to the first floor.

img_1174o7kcl.jpg

The front to the inner courtyard. This will definitely not be the final look, just a test. 

img_11750aj37.jpg

img_1176r0jd3.jpg

As allways the dormitory has no interior yet. Oh, wait - at least the lavatory is functional...

img_1177tukhm.jpg

And the present look from outside...
The design of the tower looks strange. I will give it a try, but maybe I will have to rework this.

img_1178zxjo7.jpg

Decision made: the towers design will get a rework - more simple, without the offset. This will look much better I’m quite sure.

Edited by derEselausErgste

this is becoming a really nice and fascinating project, I'm pretty interested how this will end! O_O
I'd love to build something similar, but I need to finish my bricks' collection first. :-)

This is looking great so far! The red is really helping it pop and not be one large, grey structure.

Spent some 13 hours today, driving from Dortmund to Munich and back. Time enough to rethink the design of the upper floor, and came out with a few nice ideas. I will try out tomorrow and show the result (if it is not to ugly).

It is time to remove 'noob' from the thread title because this is fantastic and very fun watching the evolution. Keep up the awesome work!

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

It is time to remove 'noob' from the thread title because this is fantastic and very fun watching the evolution. Keep up the awesome work!

Perhaps we can discuss the "total"?!

No, honestly, if I watch all the cool MOCs posted here, it is really a shame what the Donkey presents. Just take that "tudor" front I have posted on Tuesday - ridiculous. I will try to do it much better, but even my best still will be no match for the rest of this forum.
Otherwise it should be ok, as long as I'm having fun - or at least i hope so. 

4 hours ago, derEselausErgste said:

Perhaps we can discuss the "total"?!

No, honestly, if I watch all the cool MOCs posted here, it is really a shame what the Donkey presents. Just take that "tudor" front I have posted on Tuesday - ridiculous. I will try to do it much better, but even my best still will be no match for the rest of this forum.
Otherwise it should be ok, as long as I'm having fun - or at least i hope so. 

Creativity isn't a race or competition, just make what you like, don't feel bad comparing it to others.

Especially brick-built, that could be limited by available parts/collection.

That said, your builds are definately not noob class at whatsoever.

The Donkey has reworked the thread title - hope it's ok :laugh:

Now back on track. As the base of the tower seemed to be to complicated, I have changed this to a more simple design.
Thats the present look:

img_1180injvp.jpg

img_1181d7k0f.jpg

img_1182rlj9f.jpg

img_1184wojfw.jpg

img_11832okhu.jpg

Easy to see the guard house still is a scenery , but I hope I can complete it this weekend.

In general I like the tower. I am not sure if the design of the top floor might be to massive - some opinion would be appreciated. Astonishingly I dont posses any black ridge tiles, so the tower roof will have to wait some days for completion.

And on we go...