derEselausErgste

Former Total Noob (now just noob) starts Castle Project

Hello to this Forum!

After more then 3 decades out of action, the donkey (thats me) decided to try a castle on its own. 

I am not quite sure if it is allowed to post WiP here, but I hope it will be no mistake if I do so. The following pictures - sorry for the bad quality - are the result of my yesterdays first building session after more than 30 years, so there is no question the results are bad. I would be grateful for every hint, idea and critics that may come along, so please feel free to add Your comments.
Right at the moment i do not have a clear idea what the castle will look alike in the end, so I just got started with a pallas builing, which will be accompanied by a gatehouse in the near future.

Lots of best regards

Martin
the donkey

timg_10770029xkl5.jpg

img_10780025ejos.jpg

img_10790026qklt.jpg

img_1081002cdjfx.jpg

img_10820022yjwh.jpg

Edited by derEselausErgste

Looking pretty good for a "noob project". I'd suggest you add some vegetation to the rock section and try to bring in even more variation in the wall sections! Definetely a good beginning!

Thanks for your comments so far :classic:

I spent yesterdays evening working on the small side wing marked by the woodden door. This building will house ohne part of the armoury, and i think i found some nice solution for a removable roof - pics will follow midweek. Unfortunately the damn door is hinged to the wrong side, so I will have to create one on my own.

Thanks for the advise about the vegetation. I will add some just to make a try, but for a real landscape i will have to invest some money later on.

Apropos investment: the donkey posseses more than enough black, beige and brown bricks, but the light grey ones will become a problem, and light grey basics are hard to find. So i will test some alternatives like woodden battlements - hope this will work.

Best regards 

Martin

the donkey 

Lookin' good! :thumbup: I haven't built much Castle myself in ages, so I feel like a noob, too. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this space.

Once again thanks for your replies :classic:

Nothing happened the last two days, but i still ow you some pics, so on we go.

The front wall has been extended a little bit, as well as the left buttress has been modified. The pins will hold contact to the adjacent module, a tower and the gatehouse. Apropos gatehouse, i'm not quite sure about the gate itself: a drawbridge? a woodden gate? or perhaps a portcullis? just one or a combination? I have no idea yet.

download2y6j2l.png
Next we have a small side wing (part of the armoury). As already told, i will have to rework the door, and i do not like the design of the pediment which will get a rework too - i think i will remove the window to the back part of the building.

download1cvkuo.png
downloadlxjnz.png
For the roof itself i tried some ideas and found a solution which (as i think) fits quite good. The two pins do stabilize the roof to be centered, and the slopes on both sides hold the roof. Just simple, but seems to work.
I think the roof will get shingles in light and dark grey, but i'm not quite clear about at the moment.

download3crjng.png

Next i will have to finish the pallas (which is not used as a pallas anymore), add at least some basic interiour, and start with the tower. 

Ok, just a quick update. Sorry for being so slow, but my time to spend is limited, and being inactive for so long (except building original sets) shows effect. Just for the basement of the tower i needed more than 3 hours :look:

So lets have a look. First i am happy the former armoury - now the castellans "office" - got a proper door. Looks much better i think:

img_1099enj5v.jpgimg_11069xk8m.jpg

The towers basement is complete...ok, more or less complete. The castles dungeon is located here. Its not what the donkey would call a SPA, but it should be allright for those spending their time herein. At least there is a small window. Lateron i will try a scenery like the first minutes of "Ivanhoe" - dont you think the smart guy in front of the dungeon looks a little bit alike Robert Taylor?! And he is all in black - beautiful!

img_1108gkkl9.jpgimg_1107iukip.jpg

Here is where we are at the moment. The clumsy brick on the left is the tower basement.

img_1098wokww.jpg

Although I hoped for some colors on the roof, the result is very nice.
What's the ID of a sword in the picture with knight? I can't remember if it's genuine lego or not. Maybe the angle tricks me?

I will try some brick-red-coloured roofs later on, i promise :classic: but i fear i can afford only small roofs made with this technique as it comes quite costly.

Dont know the ID of the sword either, but i think its from the LOTR series - at least it is genuine LEGO as the imprint tells. In general I like weapons and armour from 3rd-party-manufacturers, but their swords mostly are to big to look aesthetic.
Mom, if my magnifier is right, the ID should be 98370...

Yeah, the prices of some stuff are pretty crazy. Sometimes the small pieces cost quite some bucks simply because of color that makes them somehow rare.
Ah, it's a greatsword! It looked a bit smaller due to the angle. It's nice design, but still a  bit too long for my liking!
Cheers!

Edited by Aine

Cheers!

So, after struggeling about the basement, the tower startet growing. At the beginning i was not sure about how to fix the stairs, but fixing them with two girders each work quite well - and looks nice. 
At least i will add four levels, perhaps five. If i can find a way of proper installation, it is planned to add some protruding woodden battlements - called "Hurden" in German, i do not know the english term - on the top level, but at the moment i dont have any idea how this can work. We will see.

img_1113zkk5h.jpg

img_11144ojyd.jpg

img_1116h5j9v.jpg

img_11177xkmh.jpg

img_1118fwks2.jpg

...what brings us up to the actual construction progress:

img_1119k0j7r.jpg

img_1120ifks2.jpg

img_112136j0g.jpg

Once again sorry for the bad quality of the pics. Taking photographs is something I'm even poorer in than building bricks...

Huge? I think it will be - and I am not really happy about. But proportions should be ok more ore less, otherwise it will just look like a toy...

The tower grows - slowly but surely. On level with the remaining stairs will be the ballustrade - some additional 9cm round about -  and it's then when I will have to decide how to implement the "Hurden". In "real life" these could be installed and removed easily, and oftenly they where only used in times of trouble. I hope I can manage something like that...

One additional question: should the Tower get a roof or not???

The outside stairs on the third pic are just a reminder - here the stairs will lead to the gatehouse in the near (?!) future.

img_6942apklx.jpg

img_6943f1kf1.jpg

img_6944cpj92.jpg

P.S.       Hedwig looks quite big from this perspective.

P.P.S:    the halberd fits better than the sword before.

P.P.P.S: the pillars beside the tower entrance look to tiny and fragile - i will replace them.

It took me 90 minutes to find out that removable Hurden look ok if they are installed, but without the tower looks ugly, and You need a hell lot of bricks which You can spend in better ways (is this still English?!). Tomorrow i will install fixend ones instead.

It's really coming along! You're doing a good job varying the textures of the walls using colours, profile bricks, beams and differerent shapes on the profile bricks. I look forward to seeing the next steps!

5 hours ago, derEselausErgste said:

You need a hell lot of bricks which You can spend in better ways (is this still English?!)

Ja, das passt gut. :wink:

Sunday afternoon, time for an update.

The tower so far is finished. OK, mostly finished. 
I spent some time thinking about the design, and in the end i decided against woodden battlements AND a roof. The battlements will be used for other buildings, thats für sure. And a roof would have blocked the view into the stairhouse. So we have some kind of open platform at the moment. I'm still not satisfied and i think there will be changes, but for now it's ok.

What I don't like:

- the battlements seem to playful, esp. these at the corners. The actual design looks like a mix from Mordor and Northern Italy
- details are missing, esp. the gantry girder needs some rework
- the black door should be brown, but i could not find any of my brown doors, for what reason ever. Time will solve the problem
- at least I should add some kind of woodden canopy

The shape is the most simple you can think about, but in principle it's ok. There are hundreds of Middle-European castles with keeps like that. Also the height seems suitable - remember the roof on the pallas is still missing. And thats what will follow next, the pallas roof.

img_11221uwjg4.jpg

img_11231i0k0q.jpg

img_11241wfjp9.jpg

img_112512ik2w.jpg

img_11261h2kq9.jpg

img_11271s9jf5.jpg

img_1128109k4f.jpg

img_112916mjqc.jpg

And to get an idea about the actual size of the tower:

img_1132s3jil.jpg