Gray_Mouser

[MOC] Tim Goddard's midi Y-wing

Has anyone tried to recreate Tim Goddard's lovely midi Y-wing?

42545399405_e04087bfd5_b.jpg

The cockpit gives me headaches... I cannot include the guns without making it too bulky. Mind you, maybe this is why there is no other picture, but I doubt it.

45889869165_83d1b68646_b.jpg

Could someone with a normal vision tell me what colour was used for the cockpit please? I thought it was sand blue, but jumpers don't seem to be available in that colour...

4 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

Could someone with a normal vision tell me what colour was used for the cockpit please? I thought it was sand blue, but jumpers don't seem to be available in that colour...

The jumpers do appear sand blue, but specifically in the variation without the groove (3794a).

It looks like your reversed-engineer creation uses a variation with groove.

@K_W It's a wheel accessory (18979a)

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Thanks.

I was hoping to get all my bricks from Lego, that's a problem. Maybe I can find another colour scheme.

My design has changed significantly; I'll post pictures when it's built.

I think I could live with medium blue but I'm colour blind. I would have prefered to post pictures of the actual thing, but oh well...

This is the medium blue version, and I have made different choices for the cockpit (less gaps, sleeker especially from the side but the slant and the nice thin blue "stripes" are gone). The structures of the main body is also completely different (although there is nothing to write home about), and I changed the greebling. And obviously, I completely ripped off the engines.

What do you guys think?

48632256436_7ce6c59108_b.jpg

@Gray_Mouser

Whoah, the redesigned cockpit looks most impressive!  The greebling is also better, more intricate in appearance.

Medium blue is definitely more subdued than what the render shows so I think it would look fine in real brick.

This time I'm done.

• The engines were too big so I designed smaller replacements. I used steerings wheels instead of parabolic ring as the basis for the cylinders. It made the gaps more difficult to fill, and the holders won't clip properly on the wheels, because their cross section is slightly smaller than for the bars. In the end, the engines hold together surprisingly well, but the assembly is tricky.
  • I had already made asymmetric greebling for my earlier version, but I had got it backward... The parts connecting the main body to the cylinders should be symmetrical, but the body shouldn't be. I think it's better now, but it was difficult to make asymmetrical greebling in the limited space at the center.
  • It's probably not visible, but I totally changed the internal structure of the y-wing. Much simpler and sturdier now.

I had other ideas for the greebling, but the parts I needed do not exist in medium stone gray yet. Maybe (much) later.

50385619623_c292e51f66_b.jpg

Looks nice! I like the sand blue colour scheme and I think the binocs as guns are a good solution (I agree with your original post: those cannons look like the 6L bars and you’d have to attach them underneath and it would end up bulky).

Those engines are delightfully greebly. Well done and thanks for the update!