Faefrost

Curse you Redish Brown!

/sob

So after a few years on display in my office, I finally had to pack up a few ships in order to make room for my expanding shelf city. I carefully dissasembled and packed up the Black Pearl, QAR and finally 6243 Brickbeards Bounty. And then I looked down at my work table and notice the pile of splintered redish brown shards... :cry_sad: 

Damn you redish brown!!! Damn you straight to heck!

I had posted a topic on fragile pieces quite a while back, asking if anyone else had a problem with reddish brown pieces breaking. It didn’t seem like anyone else did. Now I can finally see I’m not alone!

found it here.  Looks like more people have had the problem than I remembered. 

Edited by MiloNelsiano

I am very concerned since I am displaying my Old Fishing Store near a window since November 2018. Thinking about to dismantle it and store it in bags. :/

TLG recognised (and supposedly solved) that problem regarding reddish brown elements being fragile (sadly starting with the new sets obviously) and promted the affected customers to contact the customer support team. I am fairly sure I've read TLG's announcement a while back at brickset.com but cant't find the link.

I thought alone on this topic. I have broken many red objects, it upset me. Has anyone made a request for technical support? If so, send me a sample or tell me what they said.

I do not want to determine it but i read many months ago that TLG knew this problem and promised that the new sets with reddish brown pieces will not be that fragile when they get old. I think it was a transition stage so there is no real 'date' were you can say until now the bricks are OK. But I think up to 2017/18. Maybe earlier maybe later. Who knows.

Maybe someone here knows more.

I have an idea that the reason of the fragility is coming from the brown dye they use. Every dye is powder which will be mixed with the fluid plastic. The powder makes the plastic more brittle and when after years all plasticizer evaporated the plastic starts to break. Every colour is made from a different molekule(-complex) so there are different chemical and physikal effects. But as long as we don't know anything about the dye Lego is using (for RBrown) everything is pure speculation.

Edited by Robin_IV

I too have experienced this issue with reddish brown bricks breaking. All I did was assemble the set once, have it one display for some years, then take it apart. Multiple reddish brown parts broke. :(