knotian

Style Question - One large vs 7 smaller instruction sets

I am just tuning the instructions for a physically large model with 6 separate modules, 1900+ parts, and 6 drawing files.

The reason for the modules is for ease in packing and moving, but that is not the question.

Since instructions are going to be in PDF format, which results in fairly large files, should each module be a separate PDF with a 7th one for assembly, or one large file?

I personally like the smaller manuals that TLG produced for it's bigger sets.

What are your opinions?

Thanx

I would think that 6 modules in 6 files is pretty normal for instructions delivered electronically. If you need to get the file sizes down even more, I recommend delivering them only compatible with Adobe 7.0 and up. Saves quite a bit of space. 

Well, nowadays space usually isn't a problem, but having to download smaller files rather than a bigger one would be more convenient as you needn't wait for the entire instruction set at once. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to download 7 different files. And then you have to put them together later, somehow? Do you guys really have that much trouble downloading PDFs? One file is all I would want to organize.

I just did one with 1600+ parts. Put it on Bricksafe and post the link. No problem. Only takes a few minutes to download.

1963maniac;

Cheers. The modules/files would be complete in their own right. I just thought that it would clutter up the building area. The files would not have to be combined. The last one would show how to pin them together.

I'd like to look at your - would you share the link?

Ed

I'd say to make the separate instructions for the modules, put them in a ZIP file, and distribute that. PDF files compress quite a bit when put in a ZIP file, so you also end up with a smaller total download.

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

PDF files compress quite a bit when put in a ZIP file

Or you could just optimize the PDF files themselves? I mean the PDF format has built-in support for RLE/ ZIP compression and Acrobat et al will gladly optimize the heck out of your embedded images. Just saying. Also, why would you complicate file handling on mobile devices this way? I find the suggestion quite puzzling.

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Also, why would you complicate file handling on mobile devices this way?

Why would it be complicated?

11 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Why would it be complicated?

Well, you need to unpack a ZIP, don't you? Given the limitations due to the security mechanisms in mobile OSs preventing you from arbitrary file handling and picking custom storage locations even something that trivial can be a pain, so I'd definitely avoid it.

Mylenium

On 1/18/2019 at 5:12 PM, knotian said:

1963maniac;

Cheers. The modules/files would be complete in their own right. I just thought that it would clutter up the building area. The files would not have to be combined. The last one would show how to pin them together.

I'd like to look at your - would you share the link?

Ed

Tribute Model 8880 Evo

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/134570-tribute-model-8880-evo-building-instructions-added/&page=3

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-20224/1963maniac/attikas-8880-evo-tribute/#comments