fred67

Mega Construx "Train Heist"

I was just wondering around the internet and came across this MB set.

So, OK, I know this is a LEGO site, and I want to talk about LEGO, and what I think is the ideal solution to the LEGO train "problem."

I would not buy this set - I don't like the figures, I wouldn't want to mix this in with my LEGO, but what I found really interesting about it is that it specifically is built to G-Gauge.

I get that it's not "system" (what is, these days?) but every single problem people have related to track - be it 9V or PF, could be solved by the ubiquitous availability of standard gauge track if we only had wheel sets and motors that were easy to combine with LEGO.  I would suggest O instead of G, but think about it - given an O-gauge compatible motor and wheel bases - all manner of straights, curves, flex, switches, crossovers would suddenly be (relatively cheaply) available.

Also speed regulators, uncouplers, automated switches.  It would just solve so many problems.

Now, I've actually suggested this before, but I hadn't run across a LEGO compatible train that is supposedly a standard gauge, either.

I get how it might affect ballasting and so forth, I just submit it would solve a lot more problems than it would create.

Lego puts so little thought into trains in general. I think you're asking the impossible. They seem to see this sub theme (at least in terms of production from their end) as 'for kids only'... which is ironic, since I think it's actually one of the larger areas for AFOL. 

I wasn't expecting LEGO to do anything.  Let's take @coaster, for example, and all the work he's put into making tracks, couplers, the talk about metal rail and motors....

If, instead, someone (not me) focused on making a motor that just had studs, and wheelsets, everything else would take care of itself.

Mega deserved a lot of credit these days, they're no longer the obvious cheap Lego knockoff they once were. I have long feared the day they decided to go into trains, because their sets, generally being aimed at an older audience, and with no issues at all about creating the odd very specific element tend to be extremely detailed (some of those CoD military sets are utterly brilliant). As expected, they work to a completely different scale, and as expected, the relatively basic design they have gone for still utterly blows anything Lego have done out of the water.

I'll have to rely on the fact it's probably not available in the UK for now, lol.

As zephyr1934 and myself have shown, it's very well possibe to build Lego trains for 0- or G-scale track.
However, "cheap" is indeed a very relative term with respect to these rails...

If you happen to be content with H0 scale, though, this might also be a solution... :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok
typo

Just now, Tenderlok said:

As zephyr1934 and myself have shown, it's very well possibe to build Lego trains for 0- or G-scale track.
However, "cheap" is indeed a very relative term with respect to these rails...

If you happen to be content with H0 scale, though, this might also be a solution... :wink:

Well that's a hard pass, lol

I really do envy that ProBuilder line of theirs, as I strongly think Lego should be responding to it with a new subtheme of Creator that would sit in between the Three-In One and Expert lines in age range. 

irALMFt9x61530641970.jpegmegabloks-951fbcf1a59201666b782c96b467db23-1509374713-fph87-22175.jpgmegabloks-1a02c386e95aa903ad8ce64e10e78634-1510675236-fph88-22264.jpglDaNvgrAj21530641971.jpeg

55 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

So is that steam train comparable to the Lego Constitution train sizewise? 

No its much larger. LEGO trains are smaller than O scale and that is for G scale. 

I believe Playmobil's trains are LGB G-scaled too.  MegaBlocks may be going after that market.

12 hours ago, CSW652 said:

So is that steam train comparable to the Lego Constitution train sizewise? 

This vid gives a rough comparison from about the 1 minute mark:
Lego is closest to 0 scale, LG is using G scale. 

10 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I believe Playmobil's trains are LGB G-scaled too.  MegaBlocks may be going after that market.

Yes, in fact I know Playmobil actually used to use LGB mechanisms in their trains. Not sure if they still do. Playmobil is just so expensive that I'm priced out.

I always wanted this set as a kid:

ukp-4032-RP-CP.jpg

I always thought LEGO would be better off splitting trains into tracks and trains as separate purchases.  1 starter oval, a basic track pack, a turnout pack and then they can simply replace their train offerings every 4 years. It would mean the cost of the 'train sets' reduces enormously and makes them a lot more affordable, and at the same time means you don't have to buy another load of track just to get a train. 

Unfortunately that means stores stocking more SKUs and the entire experience 'not being in one box'...

5 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Yes, in fact I know Playmobil actually used to use LGB mechanisms in their trains. Not sure if they still do. Playmobil is just so expensive that I'm priced out.

Playmobil stopped doing trains a few years ago.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, fred67 said:

I was just wondering around the internet and came across this MB set.

So, OK, I know this is a LEGO site, and I want to talk about LEGO, and what I think is the ideal solution to the LEGO train "problem."

I would not buy this set - I don't like the figures, I wouldn't want to mix this in with my LEGO, but what I found really interesting about it is that it specifically is built to G-Gauge.

Wow, that is fascinating to see and very relevant for this forum. And their "Duplo" line of trains used to be compatible with wooden railways (looks like they bumped them down to younger ages now). I like the fact that lego tracks integrate with lego, but the flexibility of an existing gauge (and compatibility) is also a treat. I don't find myself moved with this set though.

23 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I'm curious to know if the big wheels of the locomotive are compatible with the lego axles :classic:

It looks like it, but they might turn out to be huge for L-guage, but they could be great for building in G-gauge. Here's the instruction sheet, looks like you can get the size from step 30. Does not look like it is motorized though. It has gears between the drivers presumably to avoid any need for quartering.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, Tenderlok said:

WOW! The engine is 6 wide, that will be a hoot to see going down an HO track. I've been looking for something like that for some time, I'd like to get my 4 wide trains on HO track. Looking through the complementary sets, they even have a disco car. On one of the set pages it mentions that they include bricks from BanBao. Another page mentions that the lights come from LIGHT STAX

10 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

It looks like it, but they might turn out to be huge for L-guage, but they could be great for building in G-gauge. Here's the instruction sheet, looks like you can get the size from step 30. Does not look like it is motorized though. It has gears between the drivers presumably to avoid any need for quartering. 

I've calculated a width of 6 studs, that is 48mm or roughly the XXL size of the 3d printed wheels already available. The quality should be better since they are molded and, above all, the flanges are far smaller and should negotiate better the curves but perhaps not the lego switches.

1 minute ago, monai said:

I've calculated a width of 6 studs, that is 48mm [...] the flanges are far smaller [...].

I agree, they seem to be 6 studs in diameter (including flanges). Hard to tell how high the flanges really are - maybe 1.6 mm? That would indeed be much less than "real" model railroading wheels for G-scale!
However, the shape of the wheels looks pretty poor to me. The counterweight and hub are kind of "sunken", whereas they actually should protrude a bit beyond the wheel rims. Or at least be more or less at the same level, as in BBB wheels.

There are better pics of the MB train on ebay .   It looks to me that it would run on LEGO track. It also looks like the wheels could be used with LEGO . 

15 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

And their "Duplo" line of trains used to be compatible with wooden railways (looks like they bumped them down to younger ages now).

It's really too bad Lego doesn't take advantage of that smaller gauge of track of theirs (the one introduced way back in 2009 for Indiana Jones' Temple of Doom set) for a wooden railway-esque line of train sets for younger builders. If it were still around, Lego could've done at least one such train set under the Juniors theme. :sad:

Pretty decent review including a short showing of the underside off the train. Seems that the wheels would be easily convertable to L-gauge, but currently they indeed seem to be gauged at G-gauge just as the MB website says. I must say it's really nice to see that MB finally goes into trains; after all that Chinese stuff it's a relief to see some high quality trains from a Clone Brand. 

16 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

However, the shape of the wheels looks pretty poor to me. The counterweight and hub are kind of "sunken", whereas they actually should protrude a bit beyond the wheel rims. Or at least be more or less at the same level, as in BBB wheels

I totally agree, after watching the video I realized the wheels are really a "toy", ok they are all toys, but in this case they are not supposed to be "model" class at all, a pity. The above discussion reveals how "hungry" are afols for a decent train wheel set, really 3d printing is not yet at the right level and it's also more expensive, I'm old enough to remember when LEGO was selling small boxes of bricks or wheels not necessarily included in sets, but business is business..

17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It's really too bad Lego doesn't take advantage of that smaller gauge of track of theirs (the one introduced way back in 2009 for Indiana Jones' Temple of Doom set) for a wooden railway-esque line of train sets for younger builders. If it were still around, Lego could've done at least one such train set under the Juniors theme. :sad:

Yes - been yearning for a compatible straight rail in that gauge for some time.

4 minutes ago, fred67 said:

Yes - been yearning for a compatible straight rail in that gauge for some time.

If Lego were able to reobtain the license for Thomas the Tank Engine, I'm pretty certain that would be the route they'd take it nowadays, a System-based line of train-and-location playsets aimed towards younger builders in lieu of Duplo sets once again.