WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71023 LEGO Minifigures - The LEGO Movie 2 Series

71023 LEGO Minifigures - LEGO Movie 2 Series  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire LEGO Movie 2 Series?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for LEGO Movie 2 Series?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

22 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Does this help? 

It does, indeed! :thumbup: -> Tan, as expected.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, WhiteFang said:

Nice illustrated imagination and what you need is to find them inside the stores with ease. :tongue:

Thanks but it's not just imagination, it's all parts of my collection. I have a real team Amazons, team Fairies, medieval village or farm etc. all I previously quoted up there. (I tried to upload images from Flickr to here in vain, gave up)

5 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

Thanks but it's not just imagination, it's all parts of my collection. I have a real team Amazons, team Fairies, medieval village or farm etc. all I previously quoted up there. (I tried to upload images from Flickr to here in vain, gave up)

Ah. I realised I had phrase it wrongly. I meant imagination refer to your illustration of what you intend to do with your collection. You already thought of what you want to do with it by imagining it. Now, you just need to find them in the stores. 

You can post your Flickr link here. 

13 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Ah. I realised I had phrase it wrongly. I meant imagination refer to your illustration of what you intend to do with your collection. You already thought of what you want to do with it by imagining it. Now, you just need to find them in the stores. 

You can post your Flickr link here. 

Thank you I get it now.  I have to say that the most difficult thing to do today, it's to find multiple baseplates in different colors at good prices. I don't know what people in here thing about feeling the blindbags, but I think it should be quite easy with this series.

Great review but I am personally really dissapointed with this minifigure series. I'm not a massive fan of the Lego movie but i usually find at least one figure in each series that interests me. Not a single one of these figures does though which is a shame. Oh well...

4 hours ago, Daniel-Technic said:

Full set of 3?

That is not true as I only got 6 Vest Friend Rex and no Dorothy in a sealed box.

Huh, that’s very strange. I have to assume that it’s a packing error, rather than an intentional alternate distribution. Mr. Gold from Series 10 is the only figure they’ve ever done before that came in only some of the boxes; all others have always been at least one per box.

Yeah, thats not right. 

These minifigures dont come from China like all the other CMFs. It would be interesting to see if more people get odd distributions in their boxes

You know, I hadn't originally noticed how the streaks in Flashback Wyldstyle's hair aren't just in the front, but rather are continued across her entire hairpiece including the ponytail. That's actually really cool.

A TRU employee (before they closed) told me that they have had adults come in to buy a whole box and then return what they don't want after groping everything with their greasy cake for dinner eating fingers in the comfort of their mother's basement (probably). Someone could buy two boxes, grope what they want out of both and then return the other box as 'full' with the now messed up assortment of unwanted figures (after borrowing their mother's car to drive back to the store). Doing either is very scummy.

Thank you very much for the great review, WhiteFang! :classic:

Like always, your review is very helpful and useful.

The allocation number doesn't made any difference to me.

I find that this series is average: There are some very nice minifigs like the customed minifigs and the golfer. The popstars are quite nice - but for four of them they are looking too less different. Plus I'm not interesting in licensed characters and hate those apocalypse minifigs. Minimum one regular historical character is definately missing.

Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series and I do really hope that next year for the tenth anniversary we'll get two unlicensed CMF series since I'm absolutely no fan of licensed series!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

On 1/29/2019 at 10:59 AM, Daniel-Technic said:

Full set of 3?

That is not true as I only got 6 Vest Friend Rex and no Dorothy in a sealed box.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:54 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Huh, that’s very strange. I have to assume that it’s a packing error, rather than an intentional alternate distribution. Mr. Gold from Series 10 is the only figure they’ve ever done before that came in only some of the boxes; all others have always been at least one per box.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:39 PM, Robert8 said:

Yeah, thats not right. 

These minifigures dont come from China like all the other CMFs. It would be interesting to see if more people get odd distributions in their boxes

I just got back from a morning of packet-feeling these today, their release day at my local LEGO Store. It is looking like the distribution may indeed be skewed - between two other customers, four store employees, and myself - with plenty of experienced Minifigures packet-feelers among us - we located no Awesome Remix Emmets in at least the first couple boxes, whereas at least the first box and I think the second each had six Battle-Ready Lucys. The store wound up opening three boxes, but as I left it looked like the third mirrored the first two, and I didn’t bother feeling all the rest. I did manage to get nearly all the others, I think (I haven’t opened them, but I’m pretty confident); I should be missing only Emmet and Dorothy (who was indeed there, but I left her for later, instead getting these other eighteen plus a couple other small sets).

I’m guessing this is a production aberration rather than an intentional wonky distribution. The only other time I can ever remember seeing multiple fresh new boxes of a blind-bagged LEGO figure series not contain at least one complete set apiece was with Series 10, which of course had a single figure (Mr. Gold) who was substantially rarer than all the others by design. Here, I suspect (but of course don’t know) all the characters are indeed produced in equal numbers, but some packing quirk at the factories has led to different proportions of figures packed in boxes in different runs.

(It’s also possible, if unlikely, that the Emmets are there in the store’s boxes and we’re just getting them wrong, since of course this is all based on packets that have been felt but not opened. I really don’t think so, though. We had some adept and experienced hands checking and rechecking these packets.)

Edited by Blondie-Wan
Correcting name of minifigure

Has anyone had luck finding a store with sealed boxes (set of 60) in inventory? I’ve checked my 3 local Walmart’s, and the store that did have them in stock received them just floating around in a larger , LEGO-Movie-2-themed display. I never buy a sealed set, but after seeing the movie and with demand from my kid-brother and relatives for various minifigures, I thought itd be easier. 

23 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

Has anyone had luck finding a store with sealed boxes (set of 60) in inventory? I’ve checked my 3 local Walmart’s, and the store that did have them in stock received them just floating around in a larger , LEGO-Movie-2-themed display. I never buy a sealed set, but after seeing the movie and with demand from my kid-brother and relatives for various minifigures, I thought itd be easier. 

I've only encountered them in the larger display or tossed in the wire bins like the polybags. Of the places in the area likely to get them (Target, Barnes and Noble, Five Below and a regional grocery chain), 5B and the grocery store are the most likely candidates for orderly display cases. I'm pretty close to done with this series, but I'm eager to get into an untouched case to see how accurate the case mapping is.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:59 PM, Daniel-Technic said:

Full set of 3?

At least from the box which I had received, I managed to get full set of 3. There are more disturbing reports that some of other sealed boxes are reported to have strange distribution numbers as well/. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:39 AM, Robert8 said:

Yeah, thats not right. 

Likewise, I am also interested to know what are the ongoing distribution reports and this is definitely the first of its kind where distribution had widely skewed from the norm. 

6 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Likewise, I am also interested to know what are the ongoing distribution reports and this is definitely the first of its kind where distribution had widely skewed from the norm. 

This isn't the most useful piece of data, but I just found an opened box in a store. The first two rows from left to right had been a bit depleted, so I started at the front of the right-most row and the Wizard of Oz characters were the first four. Of course this could've been a fluke because the box was already open and people had been at it a bit, but still strange that they were all there together.

The Tin Man has got to be my favourite of the four - excellent prints and so generous with the accessories! Dorothy and the Lion are both very nice too, but the Scarecrow doesn't really do it for me. The hat doesn't feel LEGO-y and otherwise there's nothing very special about him, but the torso and legs would make a good base for a mediaeval peasant.

I have also seen reports of messed up distribution from a Facebook group where members bought sealed boxes, though I think it was more like four of X figure and two of Y figure, as opposed to one being missed entirely from the box. [IE, two complete sets instead of three]

1 hour ago, sunhuntin said:

I have also seen reports of messed up distribution from a Facebook group where members bought sealed boxes, though I think it was more like four of X figure and two of Y figure, as opposed to one being missed entirely from the box. [IE, two complete sets instead of three]

53 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

There are reports on Instagram of boxes having only 2 full series 

Do these accounts specify different figures? Here in this thread, Daniel-Technic reports a box with extra Rexes instead of Dorothys, while my own local stores (both of them, it turns out, going by what our local LUG members have posted in our Facebook group) both got boxes with extras of Apocalypseburg Lucy instead of Emmet (six boxes total, split between two stores!). Are any other figures being reported as having wonky distributions?

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Do these accounts specify different figures? 

Nope. The IG post didn't say it, but saw another one on facebook saying 1 Battle Ready Lucy was missing to complete the third series in a sealed box

But saw more reports on IG/facebook

-Some minifigures are missing the pieces that come out of the clear bag. Like the Cowardly Lion's tail

-In some cases the Cowardly Lion comes with double bag. And some come without it: Just one bag like normal CMFs

-Characters missings as mentioned before

Thanks for the review, excellent as always!

I find this series to be disappointing overall. Really like the Wizard of Oz figures, and the Giraffe guy and golfer are cool. For the rest, it's just some accessories I find interesting; Abe's hat, the various music tiles and the classic space toolbox.

Got a box yesterday which I'm sharing with two other AFOL's, and had a full set in the single row that I opened. Hopefully the other two rows are also complete sets...

Edit: Just saw the TV-spot with the air-duct guy... now I'm even more disappointed, that would have been an excellent fig for this series.

Edited by LegoFjotten

12 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Do these accounts specify different figures? Here in this thread, Daniel-Technic reports a box with extra Rexes instead of Dorothys, while my own local stores (both of them, it turns out, going by what our local LUG members have posted in our Facebook group) both got boxes with extras of Apocalypseburg Lucy instead of Emmet (six boxes total, split between two stores!). Are any other figures being reported as having wonky distributions?

Just had a quick look through the thread, and one member says an extra #11 and no #7. I thought there were more comments about messed up distribution, but thats all I could see right now.

Maybe someone had raised this concern before but did anyone notice the plastic foil that TLG is using now feels cheaper and more prone to breaking/tearing when feeling the minifigures by hand?

I was checking a box of CMF over the weekend and I noticed that the plastic wrinkles worse than the previous CMF. Makes me wonder what's the thought process that went into changing the blind bag packaging. The original dimension and material of the foil packs worked for the previous CMF series... so, why change?