Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-Rebuild] Walking the Ruins

Type: Rebuild

Studcount: 32x16 (512)

Mordo, and Captain Angles walked along the remains of one of the wagon roads that crisscrossed Mesabi Landing.

46729691322_55012738e6_z.jpgMesabi Landing Repairs by North White, on Flickr

"If we're lucky, the town should be dry by the end of the week." Said Angles optimistically, as his boots squished through the mud. 

"Luck has not been on our side recently," replied Mordo, "between those idiots in the row boat that attacked Fatu Hiva, and a $&@#ing Tsunami, I'm not sure what else can go wrong." 

46057368074_0c6059c0a1_z.jpgMesabi Landing Repairs by North White, on Flickr

"The Horse Meat AND the explosives was waterlogged." replied Captain Angles

"Okay, I definitely jinxed it there." said Mordo. 

FIN

Thanks for viewing my first build for the repairs of Mesabi Landing. I took almost all of @Elostirion's suggestions for this build, and a big thanks from him for his advice. I hope this build can be counted, as it's not really about rebuilding, but I'll get to that soon enough. 

C&C appreciated

Looking good Mesabi! Great looking details and a marked improvement overall. The irregular shaped base is nice and the items strewn across the landscape are positioned well. Goo job on the broken rail line as well. :thumbup:

This is definitely a great improvement. I am happy you took much of the feedback provided by me and others

The plate under the house ruins seems to not be properly attached, but aside from that it seems really well executed.

Now about the presentation. While yours is not bad for this MOC, there is always room for further improvement.

You might look at Ayrlegos MOCs, he is quite amazing at doing the presentations, and we can all learn from him. Gideon always had fantastic presentation as well.

I think your background and photo are ok. What I'd really suggest is to make the background plain white - this alone improves the perceived quality of your MOC by a lot. Adding some more contrast and saturation to the MOC itself may help, though it is not a neccessity for this one. Below is an example (before - after).

Spoiler

39820098993_2865af75ba_o.jpg

12 hours ago, Mesabi said:

"The Horse Meat AND the explosives was waterlogged."

Nooooooooooooooo!

I think this is leagues better than the WIP, though. Nice one.

I agree with @Ross Fisher, this is much better than the WIP. Thanks @Elostirion for the great advice. A lot of the suggestions were really simple things, but they have really added to the build.

As to the subject, IMO it doesn't matter that the build doesn't technically show rebuilding. Surveying the damage would have to be done before relief and rebuilding anyway. Besides, the point of the activity was to help improve the build quality, so I'd say this definitely qualifies.

The base looks much better with the addition of the wedge plates; however, I think it would look even better if they were level with the ground. It appears you are using a 16x32 base plate underneath. I'd do away with it and build directly onto the plates. I posted the link for Roadmonkey's build, but if you didn't check it out I'd recommend having a look at this tutorial on irregular bases using wedge plates. The ruined wall in the corner is done quite well. I think it would probably benefit from more light bley plates scattered around the base of it. They don't need to necessarily be attached to anything, just loose would achieve the rubble effect. The cannon is especially well placed. Like in Elos' original suggestion, it would have been nice to see some 1x1 (probably dark bley) round plates scattered around the tracks as ballast.

Overall it's a nice little build. For improvement at a minimum I can't really ask for more on the build, I think you have done a good job. It would be nice to see one of your next builds re-attempt the irregular base incorporating some of the feedback above if possible. For this build, however; I would like to see a photo which shows the entire build in frame incorporating Elos' feedback on contrast/brightness. 

Disclaimer: All feedback above is my personal feedback and not that of the court, who will return a decision shortly (we hope).

It has been a pleasure to see this build develop from its humble beginnings. Many thanks to @Elostirion
for taking his time to give detailed feedback. To approve the build, we would like to see the following implemented:

On 1/18/2019 at 11:33 PM, Ayrlego said:

For this build, however; I would like to see a photo which shows the entire build in frame incorporating Elos' feedback on contrast/brightness.  

Generally, with the quality you have now shown capable of, it would be a shame not to work a bit on presentation. :)

On 2/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, Bregir said:

It has been a pleasure to see this build develop from its humble beginnings. Many thanks to @Elostirion
for taking his time to give detailed feedback. To approve the build, we would like to see the following implemented:

On 1/18/2019 at 11:33 PM, Ayrlego said:

For this build, however; I would like to see a photo which shows the entire build in frame incorporating Elos' feedback on contrast/brightness.  

Generally, with the quality you have now shown capable of, it would be a shame not to work a bit on presentation. :)

So, for what it is worth...

I have talked with @Mesabi about this and that, including this build. His Lego is packed away for the time being, including this build (as well as this one too of course). Doing "more pictures" is technically impossible, as are any changes - no model to photograph or do changes on around any more.

So, question to those above: how do you handle this? Approve "half of it"? Or none at all? Same for this one (which no feedback has been given in three months...).

Edited by Drunknok

We will find a compromise. And pardon for not giving feedback on the other build, but it was also to avoid overloading Mesabi, who hasn't had time to come back to the others. :)

On 4/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, Drunknok said:

how do you handle this?

Take a look here: